• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falcon neutral?

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I'm very confused about what to do with Fox against Falcon in the neutral game, and parts of the punish. With most matchups it seems I always have enough space to either bait out an approach or go in safely and get an advantageous position. However with Falcon, it feels like I need to give up half the stage to keep myself out of shield. When he starts fade-back nairing, I'm honestly not sure what would work here; If I overextend a nair, he dashes away and either shields or bairs. Fade-back nair myself he can dash away and then back in with full stage nair and instantly get pressure.

Maybe I'm approaching the matchup wrong, but I'd like to learn how to deal with this. How would I go about dealing with Falcon in neutral? Also, what would be the best followups from an up-throw, from 0% to about 30/40%.
All help appreciated!

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
When he is fade back nairing, either laser or run in shine depending on what makes more sense, or grab him in his landing lag

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'm very confused about what to do with Fox against Falcon in the neutral game, and parts of the punish. With most matchups it seems I always have enough space to either bait out an approach or go in safely and get an advantageous position. However with Falcon, it feels like I need to give up half the stage to keep myself out of shield. When he starts fade-back nairing, I'm honestly not sure what would work here; If I overextend a nair, he dashes away and either shields or bairs. Fade-back nair myself he can dash away and then back in with full stage nair and instantly get pressure.

Maybe I'm approaching the matchup wrong, but I'd like to learn how to deal with this. How would I go about dealing with Falcon in neutral? Also, what would be the best followups from an up-throw, from 0% to about 30/40%.
All help appreciated!
- You need to account for Falcon's horizontal air mobility; the fact that he can fly across a stage and nair you is definitely a problem. How do you account for this without giving him too much space or being in shield at mid-range? You challenge him. You have high-priority Fox moves, so when he approaches with a SH usmash him in the face for 18% and a knockdown. Even if you trade, it's heavily in your favour as you can recover first and still death touch him. Pre-emptive utilts or bairs are better for stuffing his nair if you aren't sure when he will come in. But if you know the when, just usmash him or DD grab. (Usmash doesn't knock him down at 0%, this is important)

- If he fades back and nairs, you don't have to directly punish him right away. Pay attention to how close he is to the edge, because he may corner himself and give yourself stage control. For directly punishing fade back nairs, dash dtilt works, or dash into him and CC shine (hold down+forward while running in to dash AND CC at the same time). Generally, don't get too hung up on punishing every little thing, because the positioning and corner opportunities you get from Falcon backing up to much is a maaaaaassive benefit. Smash is a big complex sandbox game, but when you corner somebody you limit their options to jump over you or somehow challenge you frontally. Plus they have no space behind them so dashdancing is no longer an option at all and your SH nairs will virtually always hit.

Top Bottom