• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I do expect her. If not as a playable fighter then at least as an assist.

I can't help the fact that I have faith in our venerable flower fairy. It's obvious Nintendo is running out of excuses.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Honestly, if Takamaru got the retro spot of this title, and Lip became the next Assist Trophy. Just appearing, using her Flower Wand to summon blocks to crush you all to death, people would open their eyes for the flower girl, and it's immense power! Smash 6? Lip would be recognized like Taka is now and shoe inn. #DreamingforLip

No, but seriously, ANYTHING regarding the Panel De Pon series is something I really really want... A Stage, Return of the theme and even more music, an Assist Trophy, Trophies, and of course, I'd love a playable.

zack4812

Smash Apprentice
Hey if Puyo Puyo Tetris was a big success on the Switch, maybe Nintendo should hop on that train with Puzzle League and Lip. That would help Lip's chances a ton, especially since there's a lack of puzzle reps for Smash currently.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As I keep saying, Puyo Puyo Tetris doing well internationally isn't just great for fans of the series (and honestly I'm a little partial to it myself), it's proof that Nintendo has nothing to fear anymore, and if they seriously want to keep Panel de Pon dead, they only stand to lose money in the long term. If their worry is that it's "too Japanese", they have a puzzle game coming out that's literally lining up sushi plates with anime cutscenes in-between, and one of their most popular original series in recent memory takes place mostly in a far-future version of Japan. Trust me, that ship has sailed. A game with a cartoonish European fantasy setting isn't going to scare people away just because it has an anime art style or female main characters anymore.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
The only thing that really gives me hope for her is the cute reference she got in Animal Crossing, and even then I wouldn’t expect anything more than an assist trophy.

PsychoJosh

Nonsense, I say!!

Quit being so timid! Demand Lip's rightful spot in the Smash roster and she can do it!!

This is the time to ATTACK!

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
It's been a while since I've even been on Smashboards. I just came here because I remembered the Lip support thread before the release of Smash 4. I still support Lip for Smash!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The only thing that really gives me hope for her is the cute reference she got in Animal Crossing, and even then I wouldn’t expect anything more than an assist trophy.
You never know. We could make out like a bandit this time!

andimidna

Smash Master
Yay I’m still on the list from last time lmao
She still seems like a great way to bring attention to and revive a series. Still hoping for her and Takamaru

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I'll tell you something, my most wanted character for this game is Rex and Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but if Lip gets a trailer, I would explode more with excitement then I would for Rex. :p

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'll tell you something, my most wanted character for this game is Rex and Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but if Lip gets a trailer, I would explode more with excitement then I would for Rex. :p
Honestly, my second most-wanted was confirmed in the reveal trailer. All I need at this point is Lip and I'll be happy forever. They could put Freddy Fazbear on the roster and I'd balance out to "okay" just because Lip was there.

PsychoJosh

Freddy Fazbear...

Well, I mean, it's not like he has a chance, since he's never appeared on a Nintendo system and even still he doesn't have much gameplay to work with.

Lip should sprout his exoskeleton with daisies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As I keep saying, Puyo Puyo Tetris doing well internationally isn't just great for fans of the series (and honestly I'm a little partial to it myself), it's proof that Nintendo has nothing to fear anymore, and if they seriously want to keep Panel de Pon dead, they only stand to lose money in the long term. If their worry is that it's "too Japanese", they have a puzzle game coming out that's literally lining up sushi plates with anime cutscenes in-between, and one of their most popular original series in recent memory takes place mostly in a far-future version of Japan. Trust me, that ship has sailed. A game with a cartoonish European fantasy setting isn't going to scare people away just because it has an anime art style or female main characters anymore.
How does Puyo Puyo Tetris relate to Panel de Pon?
The issue in America never seemed to be the game, it was the character. The games were released here with different mascots. That's a pretty low blow to their perception of the character.

Then again, fairies are a bit more accepted overall now, at least in North American pop culture.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Fifth time's the charm, indeed. Expected or not, I don't really care. For me, these support threads have never been about how likely I expect a character to be. It's all about support, how much I like a character, and how much I WANT that character to be in Smash. And I think Lip is awesome. 10/10, would support again.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
upload_2018-3-12_21-38-53.png

"...Can I come too, miss?"

(Click for Twitter link.)

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Aw, look at that.

Too bad the Inkling probably doesn't understand her and can only reply in squidlish.

geoluminescent

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I've never played any of Lip's games or anything, but I'd enjoy it if she were added. She seems like she'd fit in a unique niche. She's ultimately my second choice for retro representatives, but with Sukapon as competition there's no shame in that. Consider me a supporter.

PsychoJosh

Honestly, I've never played any of Lip's games or anything, but I'd enjoy it if she were added. She seems like she'd fit in a unique niche. She's ultimately my second choice for retro representatives, but with Sukapon as competition there's no shame in that. Consider me a supporter.
Have you ever played Tetris Attack or Pokemon Puzzle League? Gameplay-wise, they're exactly the same, just with Pokemon/Yoshi characters.

The issue in America never seemed to be the game, it was the character. The games were released here with different mascots. That's a pretty low blow to their perception of the character.

Then again, fairies are a bit more accepted overall now, at least in North American pop culture.
It is interesting how perceptions changed. Back when I was a kid and Tetris Attack came out, I really strongly disliked anime, so if it had come out sporting a bunch of anime fairy girls, I probably wouldn't have given it a chance. But now that I'm older my stance has softened a lot on that and I kinda lament the fact that they didn't ever bring these characters to the west.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

The same thing that happened to PdP's localization happened to Puyo Puyo on the SNES and Genesis. The characters were reskinned in America as Kirby characters in Kirbys Avalanche and Badniks in Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thought of bringing something else to bolster all of the Lip-related discussion, because I think the content in this game will have us talking for good while, since features Lip completely on her own right.

Anyway, remember when I mentioned Captain Rainbow having got it's english translation patch since last November? Someone made a full playthrough and I got curious scouring through moments with Lip:

Skip characterizes her... interestingly. Speaks in 3rd person for example, giving her very child-like personality. Also YMMV on if she's been made too child-like here, I think - though I guess it's fitting with this whole game's vibe overall.

Got to say though, I found her so very cute here!

I'd like to get a cute nickname too from her, please

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I have a huge hunch that Lip’s in this one. She’s got my full support.
Also, anyone know any way (besides emulation) to play the original Panel de Pon? Been meaning to try it out.
Oh, I didn't see this post.

Right now, emulation seems like the only way to play PDP if you live in the west. Thankfully there is a fan translation patch floating around too.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Nonsense, I say!!

Quit being so timid! Demand Lip's rightful spot in the Smash roster and she can do it!!

This is the time to ATTACK!
Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much going to demand her. I just don't expect much out of it lol.

She is and has pretty much always been my most wanted character.

PsychoJosh

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much going to demand her. I just don't expect much out of it lol.

She is and has pretty much always been my most wanted character.
They're out of excuses. This is her time!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We still have no one who is a cute chibi fairy/magical creature. It could be Ashley. It could be Vaati. It could even be Kamek. But it should be Lip. I cannot believe we are going into the fifth iteration of this game without a character that fits such a popular archetype. THIS and the probability that Sakurai loves the game (I have less evidence for this but believe the truth given his love of Japanese culture and older games), are the things I think Lip most has in her favor. And it isn't nothing.

Thought of bringing something else to bolster all of the Lip-related discussion, because I think the content in this game will have us talking for good while, since features Lip completely on her own right.

Anyway, remember when I mentioned Captain Rainbow having got it's english translation patch since last November? Someone made a full playthrough and I got curious scouring through moments with Lip:

Skip characterizes her... interestingly. Speaks in 3rd person for example, giving her very child-like personality. Also YMMV on if she's been made too child-like here, I think - though I guess it's fitting with this whole game's vibe overall.

Got to say though, I found her so very cute here!

I'd like to get a cute nickname too from her, please
I greatly resent Nintendo for not ever having Captain Rainbow release in the west. We have a very sardonic culture, satirizing some of Nintendo's best characters here would have been very possible if people got over the immediate thoughts that it was inherently a homosexual game.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I strongly do not want Ashley in this game. Even within the Warioware series there are much more interesting character choices than the likes of her, let alone the rest of Nintendo's IPs.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We still have no one who is a cute chibi fairy/magical creature. It could be Ashley. It could be Vaati. It could even be Kamek. But it should be Lip. I cannot believe we are going into the fifth iteration of this game without a character that fits such a popular archetype. THIS and the probability that Sakurai loves the game (I have less evidence for this but believe the truth given his love of Japanese culture and older games), are the things I think Lip most has in her favor. And it isn't nothing.
Don't think Vaati or Kamek exactly qualify as "cute" - definitely magical though. Of course, this maiden here is still a big fan of him.

(Also I think Kamek's the quintessential 2nd Yoshi-rep, if for the unique style of gameplay he could have with his magic)

On Ashley however, I'm bit iffy too, since she's bit on the popular, yet kind of generic side of "creepy cute goth girl"-archetype which I don't think won me as much over as the original characters from Warioware Inc.-game.

I greatly resent Nintendo for not ever having Captain Rainbow release in the west. We have a very sardonic culture, satirizing some of Nintendo's best characters here would have been very possible if people got over the immediate thoughts that it was inherently a homosexual game.
I don't think it's the very stereotypical "gay rainbows" that held it being localized, but the game's overall vibe, anyway. As a lot have noted, it was very much built on Japanese sense of humour and strange vibes - which is of course what SKIP's games are known for, but here it was used for some rather suggestive content even, and back in the day such a game would have been difficult to find a profitable fanbase to warrant a localization.

Things have changed since though - since much like what I feel on Mother 3, I feel like the English fan translation suffices enough to allow ones curious about the game to dive deep to it, and probably generate similar buzz or fan following as Mother-series did.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If SEGA can succeed with Puyo Puyo, Nintendo can get PdP to work. I even feel as though Lip is one of those characters that the MOMENT she's added to Smash, people will be flocking to play her series.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If SEGA can succeed with Puyo Puyo, Nintendo can get PdP to work. I even feel as though Lip is one of those characters that the MOMENT she's added to Smash, people will be flocking to play her series.
I've sometimes fiddled with this thought since sometimes mashing away in Animal Crossing: Puzzle League. Lip's been bit recurring retroish character in means of cameos (New Leaf) or repackaging (SNES Classic Mini JPN + Virtual Console re-releases) in Japan - and some seeds for general Nintendo-fans to recognize her better have been sown since New Leaf showing off the Flower Fairy Costume-set.
So yeah, if Lip popped in (:042:) finally in Smash Switch, her series would gain a high interest (and that's before the fanbase that'd explode on her, definitely).

Now and then I had also wondered if the next PdP-title could be crossover-based to tie everything back together for the various franchises used to push the game: :4yoshi::4pikachu::4villager: + Lip as the main character/host. Though maybe the problem with that would be that if next game only featured Lip + original fairies, the initial fans would miss the crossover-element, leading to danger of marketing dilution.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really hope we get some characters to popularize series here. Not just the easily marketable characters from Fire Emblem (which should still be harder to publicize than Pokemon).

Don't think Vaati or Kamek exactly qualify as "cute" - definitely magical though. Of course, this maiden here is still a big fan of him.

(Also I think Kamek's the quintessential 2nd Yoshi-rep, if for the unique style of gameplay he could have with his magic)

On Ashley however, I'm bit iffy too, since she's bit on the popular, yet kind of generic side of "creepy cute goth girl"-archetype which I don't think won me as much over as the original characters from Warioware Inc.-game.

I don't think it's the very stereotypical "gay rainbows" that held it being localized, but the game's overall vibe, anyway. As a lot have noted, it was very much built on Japanese sense of humour and strange vibes - which is of course what SKIP's games are known for, but here it was used for some rather suggestive content even, and back in the day such a game would have been difficult to find a profitable fanbase to warrant a localization.

Things have changed since though - since much like what I feel on Mother 3, I feel like the English fan translation suffices enough to allow ones curious about the game to dive deep to it, and probably generate similar buzz or fan following as Mother-series did.
Kamek is definitely the most likely Yoshi rep (if not Poochy... I don't think either really has a shot).
I would definitey say that Kamek and Vaati are more cute characters, at least in the sense of being more chibi style.

And I wish I could have an opinion about Captaim Rainbow, but I refuse to watch too many videos or read too many articles that would spoil it before I finally do play it. Cmon Nintendo!

Luminario

Smash Lord
I've sometimes fiddled with this thought since sometimes mashing away in Animal Crossing: Puzzle League. Lip's been bit recurring retroish character in means of cameos (New Leaf) or repackaging (SNES Classic Mini JPN + Virtual Console re-releases) in Japan - and some seeds for general Nintendo-fans to recognize her better have been sown since New Leaf showing off the Flower Fairy Costume-set.
So yeah, if Lip popped in (:042:) finally in Smash Switch, her series would gain a high interest (and that's before the fanbase that'd explode on her, definitely).

Now and then I had also wondered if the next PdP-title could be crossover-based to tie everything back together for the various franchises used to push the game: :4yoshi::4pikachu::4villager: + Lip as the main character/host. Though maybe the problem with that would be that if next game only featured Lip + original fairies, the initial fans would miss the crossover-element, leading to danger of marketing dilution.
I can see those 3 making cameos in a new PdP game as playable VS characters, but I think the focus would be on Lip and the fairies. Look at the success of Puyo Puyo, Ninty would want to cash in on the cute-girls-in-puzzle-games genre.
Looking at it from that angle, bringing Lip back as a retro character is a good idea in a business sense, as shes one of the few retro characters capable of bringing back the exact essence of her series with little change.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Looking at Captain Rainbow, I feel like they might have made Lip a little too young-acting? Not just by my headcanon, by the canon of Panel de Pon itself. It seems as though Skip's take on Lip is closer to 5-6 years old (mentally at least), whereas the Lip seen in-game seems to be 10 years old minimum. She certainly doesn't use her own name as a pronoun there. Make her cute and friendly, by all means, and she's definitely young, but making her THAT innocent and immature is a bit much.

I've always felt that a Panel de Pon spinoff, say a sports game or party game, could do with some fun (most likely unlockable) cameos. Yoshi definitely, maybe Pikachu if Game Freak says yes. Instead of either Villager or even Isabelle though, I'd probably spring for both genders of Inkling. Maybe it's a bit of an odd choice since those series are completely separate, but both Splatoon and Panepon are well known for featuring adorable pointy-eared girls, and Splatoon does come from the same branch of Nintendo as Animal Crossing. It seems like it'd fit.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I wonder if the devs of SSB Crusade would be willing to add her. I love Crusade so I'd be more than happy with that. how would anyone else feel about that?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It'd be neat I guess, but I really don't want Lip's effective Smash Bros. debut to be in a fan game where a dead meme with a lightsaber dong is a character. I'd be more hyped if she showed up in Super Smash Flash 2, but I don't think they want to add any more characters after Pichu. Maybe if we pestered them enough (that's how Luffy got in).

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
So there's this unofficial Twitter account that, just for fun, lets you retweet its posts to "vote" for that character to be in Super Smash Bros. (The downside is of course it gets a bunch of garbageposts and suggestions for characters who aren't even from a video game, but beggars can't be choosers.) Anyway, I suggested Lip to 'em, and her turn just came up. Retweet for her if you'd like!

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Stopping by to say that I still love the idea of Lip being a playable character in Smash Bros. A chibi Trafalgar Law would be beyond hype. For reference:

I'm still in love with this moveset animated gif series I got from here years ago.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Those are adorable animations. I think it was Laniv who made them? I can't remember, I'll have to check. But I'd love if someone did something like that for my composite moveset.

It makes me happy to see support pouring in like this. Hopefully things will go better for our favorite fairy this time around.

Top Bottom