• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
New idea from my noggin.
What if we got not only Lip, but Thanatos included as her 'rival'? What better way to give PdP a stronger presence than to add not only the potential mascot for the series but the antagonist too?
Baby steps, everyone.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Thanatos has existed long before Thanos, and it's likely his name was intended to be "Sanatos" anyway for reasons that it's too late for me to really go into at all.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Their ignorance should not be humored at our expense. A Google search or even coming here can answer most if not all their questions. It breathes new life into the stereotype that Nintendo fans don't play anything other than Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Smash. Worse is Nintendo's handling of their IP's reinforces this notion somewhat.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Their ignorance should not be humored at our expense. A Google search or even coming here can answer most if not all their questions. It breathes new life into the stereotype that Nintendo fans don't play anything other than Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Smash. Worse is Nintendo's handling of their IP's reinforces this notion somewhat.
Well those IPs do make a lota money.
It's a shame though, very few game developers are willing to take chances. There's simply no more passion. Just greed.
Though Puzzle League does have potential to make a lot of money...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've been giving the matter some thought, and I've decided that I'd like to make a TV Tropes page for WAリでし channelWD's Panel de Pon Nintendo-hopping adventure video series (I unfortunately can't read Japanese, so I have no idea what the title is supposed to be). The page can discuss the tropes covered in the series, such as the blatantly-ripped-directly-from-Google translation work, Cordelia's presence in the intro blatantly assuming that people are familiar with Panel de Pon (since her existence and relationship to Lip were originally supposed to be a plot twist), the Light Jewel existing to facilitate the plot, General Guy causing the problems that drive the plot despite not actually being the story's top-ranking villain, Lip's relentless pursuit of General Guy, Lip being blamed for the trouble General Guy causes, Wario's irrelevant and nonsensical ramblings (which were probably meant to be clever, funny, and possibly chock-full of puns in the original script, but any cleverness failed to cross the language barrier), General Guy's crimes against vehicles, Bowser, Ganondorf, and Thanatos joining forces, Thanatos's presence having some interesting implications regarding how Panel de Pon's finale played out, Marth throwing a tantrum over being ignored, Lip flirting with Popo and pissing Nana off, Ness and Lip fighting over the bathroom, Villager acting like a serial killer, Little Mac's exaggerated stature and ridiculous strength, Mr. Game & Watch's reaction to Wario and Kumatora making a scene in his restaurant, Shulk losing his pants (and Lip freaking out over his "elephant paon"), the title screen changing to reflect each episode, and the frequent nods, references, and metaphorical wink-nudges to the gameplay and plot events of the games featured in the series. I could use some help with things like a proper translation of the Japanese script and which fairy faces which opponents, as well as a proper title to use for the page, but I feel like it could give some much-needed exposure to WAリでし channelWD, Panel de Pon, and Lip.
I’ve started work on the TV Tropes page. I don't have much right now, but I hope to add more soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, to be honest, I would've gone with a different title as this one seems pretty... stilted, if that makes sense? But hey, good job on setting it up and good luck with the rest. I have admittedly never watched an episode of that series.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Well, to be honest, I would've gone with a different title as this one seems pretty... stilted, if that makes sense? But hey, good job on setting it up and good luck with the rest. I have admittedly never watched an episode of that series.
Well, I had to use the actual title of the series.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Nice. I was thinking of sharing it now but I think it'd be better to wait until more is added feel "complete"
TV Tropes is a collaborative effort, like any wiki. The more attention this gets, the better.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I love the attention this series is getting on the wiki.
I’m unfortunately not that familiar with TV Tropes, but if I ever get around to it, I’ll learn a bit more about the site and perhaps add on to it on future episodes.
(I still hope the series means something to Lip in Ultimate).

D

Deleted member

Well, I had to use the actual title of the series.
I know it's the title, I was the one translating it above, what I'm saying a very direct translation like this sounds awkward when written in English. It's about translation and localization and which would sound better in a given scenario. And due to the different sentence structure and wordplays used, Japanese next to never can be directly translated word for word.

If I were to make the page, I'd have gone with something like "The great Panel de Pon x Smash Bros clash". That way the "Dairantou" is still there, albeit split into the beginning and end of the name with "great clash", which sounds better in English, while still conveying the same meaning. As an added bonus "Smash Bros clash" does sound like an actual title that would come after Melee and Brawl, which is also why I didn't use using those terms, to avoid confusion. Keep in mind, TV Tropes is fairly inconsistent as well. To give you an example: both of these have gotten an english release: this one uses its English name while adding the Japanese in the description, while this is the other way round. And even Wikipedia can be kinda bad about this: this one has an English title on the page despite not having been officially translated (and also taking a few liberties with the name to boot[/url].

Here's an example of how I'd word the opening if everything had to be there:
The great Panel de Pon x Smash Bros clash (パネポンスマブラ大乱闘) Hepburn: "Panepon Sumabura Dairantou", lit.: "Panel de Pon Smash Brothers great fray" is a series of web videos[...]
Where everything in pink is something I'd stick in a collapsible note so it won't get too much at once. Well, just a suggestion on my end, whether you do it or not is up to you. I have no experience with anything related to wiki editing.

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I believe the policy of TV Tropes is to use the English names for characters and shows wherever possible, unless the work in question was never officially translated in which case you can leave the name in Japanese. That second page is actually a slight violation of that policy.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Man, this wait for a new Smash announcement is driving me nuts recently. The rest of October and November is gonna be painful to sit through. :ohwell: (Although hopefully the result after it all isn’t painful for us Lip fans.)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Man, this wait for a new Smash announcement is driving me nuts recently. The rest of October and November is gonna be painful to sit through. :ohwell: (Although hopefully the result after it all isn’t painful for us Lip fans.)
All we can do at this point is hope for the best, but expect the worst.

D

Deleted member

I believe the policy of TV Tropes is to use the English names for characters and shows wherever possible, unless the work in question was never officially translated in which case you can leave the name in Japanese. That second page is actually a slight violation of that policy.
Well, strictly speaking, due to the punny title (placing "dairantou" at the end), you'd have to use the Japanese name then as it is separate from the game titles. Though, to be blunt, I didn't want my translation to be copied 1:1, it was meant to show the wordplay used, showing that the title isn't just mashing the two games together, but being somewhat punny about it. It was not meant to be used as the actual title because, as I said, it's a direct translation and those tend to sound really bad and awkward, especially with the different sentence structure between Japanese and English. In short, it was mean as guidance for making a proper sounding translation and not to be taken 1:1.

Also quite frankly, I'm a bit bummed it was straight up copied without so much as a simple thanks. Wasn't very nice, especially when downright asking for help.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I neglected to mention this here, but I have some news. The other day someone named TabuuForteAkugun contacted me on twitter saying that they were going to use my Lip model in their Unity Smash fangame called Super Smash Bros. Feud. So there's something to keep an eye on! So far it's looking pretty cool.

Seems our dream is going to happen one way or another.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I neglected to mention this here, but I have some news. The other day someone named TabuuForteAkugun contacted me on twitter saying that they were going to use my Lip model in their Unity Smash fangame called Super Smash Bros. Feud. So there's something to keep an eye on! So far it's looking pretty cool.

Huh, neat.
Was never a huge fan of fan made smash games, (mainly because the control schemes are awkward) but if it has Lip in it, I’ll definitely look into Feud.
Wouldn’t it be something if Lip is in this fan game AND in Ultimate. Having her in Ultimate would be a dream come true, but in a fan game as well?
It may turn out PdP will get all the attention it deserves finally.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman

Well one step at a time. Maybe this will expose her to the public. Maybe.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Okay, after doing some speculation of my own after looking at this leak counteracting Vergeben, all I have to say is:
We better hope this leak is fake, and Vergeben is legit. (That is if you care about Lip being playable). As crazy as this is going to sound, if Vergeben is right about Incineroar and Ken, Lip/Arle will likely be playable in Smash. Lip will be our surprise retro rep no one sees coming, similar to Duck Hunt in Smash 4. Arle will be there to have Nintendo/Sega’s Puzzle characters reunite again. So will Shantae. Lip/Arle are more known in Japan, while Shantae is more known in the West. In other words, Sakurai would be doing a trade off. Since they are also all magical girls with pony tails, that also seems kinda funny. Now, this leak states that Shantae and Isaac will be AT’s, not playable. If this the case, then Shantae will not be playable, nor will Lip/Arle. But Lip will still get lots of attention, because I made my Waluigi Lip theory a few pages ago where Lip would replace Waluigi’s assist trophy spot. I still think this could be possible. Especially since this leak says Isaac is an assist, when both Isaac and Waluigi are partially owned by Camelot. (To add on to this, Waluigi’s Pinball, Lip’s Theme, and Golden Sun music has not been revealed for Ultimate yet.) Daisy fits in with this as well. Does Sakurai add in Waluigi since Daisy is in as a spin-off Mario char, or does he add Lip to complete Gunpei Yokoi’s collection of characters to all be playable? (Shantae and Isaac supporters also better hope that Lip/Arle is in the game.)
At the end of the day, I am convinced Lip is going to have a much bigger following than before, and we have a 50/50 shot of her being playable or an Assist. So, I just want everyone here to give themselves a pat on the back, our girl Lip made it in the game. (In some form, we don’t know whether AT or playable, we’ll have to wait until the 24th of October rolls around to confirm or deny this leak.)

EDIT:
Or Sakurai can bamboozle us even further by having all these characters as playable, but that’s unlikely.

Last edited:

N-V

Smash Rookie
Okay, after doing some speculation of my own after looking at this leak counteracting Vergeben, all I have to say is:
We better hope this leak is fake, and Vergeben is legit. (That is if you care about Lip being playable). As crazy as this is going to sound, if Vergeben is right about Incineroar and Ken, Lip/Arle will likely be playable in Smash. Lip will be our surprise retro rep no one sees coming, similar to Duck Hunt in Smash 4. Arle will be there to have Nintendo/Sega’s Puzzle characters reunite again. So will Shantae. Lip/Arle are more known in Japan, while Shantae is more known in the West. In other words, Sakurai would be doing a trade off. Since they are also all magical girls with pony tails, that also seems kinda funny. Now, this leak states that Shantae and Isaac will be AT’s, not playable. If this the case, then Shantae will not be playable, nor will Lip/Arle. But Lip will still get lots of attention, because I made my Waluigi Lip theory a few pages ago where Lip would replace Waluigi’s assist trophy spot. I still think this could be possible. Especially since this leak says Isaac is an assist, when both Isaac and Waluigi are partially owned by Camelot. (To add on to this, Waluigi’s Pinball, Lip’s Theme, and Golden Sun music has not been revealed for Ultimate yet.) Daisy fits in with this as well. Does Sakurai add in Waluigi since Daisy is in as a spin-off Mario char, or does he add Lip to complete Gunpei Yokoi’s collection of characters to all be playable? (Shantae and Isaac supporters also better hope that Lip/Arle is in the game.)
At the end of the day, I am convinced Lip is going to have a much bigger following than before, and we have a 50/50 shot of her being playable or an Assist. So, I just want everyone here to give themselves a pat on the back, our girl Lip made it in the game. (In some form, we don’t know whether AT or playable, we’ll have to wait until the 24th of October rolls around to confirm or deny this leak.)

EDIT:
Or Sakurai can bamboozle us even further by having all these characters as playable, but that’s unlikely.
You shouldn't give attention to these leaks that are obviously fake. While I agree that we'll definitely see Lip in the game in some form (since they reached as far as Sukapon), Arle, Shantae or anyone else except maybe Furil won't have anything to do with whether she's playable or not.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well those IPs do make a lota money.
It's a shame though, very few game developers are willing to take chances. There's simply no more passion. Just greed.
Though Puzzle League does have potential to make a lot of money...
That's why indie devs exist. Hell, take Battle Princess Madelyn, it got nominated for an award before it'll be officially released on December, and Arino himself actually got to try it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/causalbitgames/battle-princess-madelyn/posts/2300967

Of course, those devs usually need funds out of necessity, so the games can be well-made and/or long, otherwise you get a Yooka-Laylee case.

You shouldn't give attention to these leaks that are obviously fake. While I agree that we'll definitely see Lip in the game in some form (since they reached as far as Sukapon), Arle, Shantae or anyone else except maybe Furil won't have anything to do with whether she's playable or not.
There's currently the "bar theory" in regards to whatever game news Montreal will be having in a private venue on Wednesday, so that should be focused on, if anything.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I’ve seen a lot of leaks, (most of which are debunkable right off the bat) but what’s being said here makes sense. Sometimes you do have to connect the dots to understand Sakurai’s thinking. I personally think there are way too many connections for this to be a sheer coincidence. I don’t think this is something we should brush off immediately. It’s just something that likely will determine Lip’s fate.
(Cuz at this point, I’ll be darned if one of these two things doesn’t happen.)

N-V

Smash Rookie
I mean, I’ve seen a lot of leaks, (most of which are debunkable right off the bat) but what’s being said here makes sense. Sometimes you do have to connect the dots to understand Sakurai’s thinking. I personally think there are way too many connections for this to be a sheer coincidence. I don’t think this is something we should brush off immediately. It’s just something that likely will determine Lip’s fate.
(Cuz at this point, I’ll be darned if one of these two things doesn’t happen.)
If you're referring to the leak covered in the video, it's 100% fake. Anything that has something stupid like someone describing what's going on internally at Nintendo or those borderline fanfiction character reveal trailers are always fake, especially since character trailers have never been leaked prior to being shown. Not to mention it being in direct opposition to the only credible leaker.
That's why indie devs exist. Hell, take Battle Princess Madelyn, it got nominated for an award before it'll be officially released on December, and Arino himself actually got to try it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/causalbitgames/battle-princess-madelyn/posts/2300967

Of course, those devs usually need funds out of necessity, so the games can be well-made and/or long, otherwise you get a Yooka-Laylee case.

There's currently the "bar theory" in regards to whatever game news Montreal will be having in a private venue on Wednesday, so that should be focused on, if anything.
Now that's more interesting. It seems weird that Nintendo of Canada is having an event at a bar at all though.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've done more work on the TV Tropes page for the Panel de Pon Smash series. Which fairy went up against Sonic in Episode 7?

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
General Guy isn't an original character, he appears in Paper Mario.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I wasn't talking about General Guy, I was talking about Marshal Guy, who appears in Episode 8.
Oh, alright.

Yeah, Wari uses his original characters in his videos a lot, it seems. His ice, nature, and jewel fairies are actually boys, which I thought was kind of neat.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I still say that Green Greens being a Panel de Pon stage originally is a bit of a stretch.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Last night's blog post is the stage that was theorized to be originally a scrapped Panel de Pon stage back in Melee BTW.
I still say that Green Greens being a Panel de Pon stage originally is a bit of a stretch.
I have to agree with N. Onymous. Those star and bomb blocks have been in Kirby games from the very beginning, and IIRC, Super Star had a few areas where star blocks continually fell from the sky and stacked up endlessly to get in Kirby's way (though they're easily destroyed, so it wasn't much of an obstacle, lol). The falling and stacking star blocks in the Melee Green Greens stage is most likely a reference to those Super Star rooms, except that in Smash, bomb blocks are mixed in and the blocks can't stack all the way up to the top of the screen.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with N. Onymous. Those star and bomb blocks have been in Kirby games from the very beginning, and IIRC, Super Star had a few areas where star blocks continually fell from the sky and stacked up endlessly to get in Kirby's way (though they're easily destroyed, so it wasn't much of an obstacle, lol). The falling and stacking star blocks in the Melee Green Greens stage is most likely a reference to those Super Star rooms, except that in Smash, bomb blocks are mixed in and the blocks can't stack all the way up to the top of the screen.
I don’t think it’s the blocks as much as it is the background. I mean, the background looks awfully familiar to the Popples.
I think either dreamland’s landscape is just coincidentally similar to the Popples, or it was meant to be a scrapped Panel de Pon stage. (Also, this is the first Smash game to have both Green Greens and Dreamland 64 as selectable stages, and both same features from PdP.
EDIT:
Okay, I’m wrong about the stage thing, forgot that Dreamland 64 was in Melee. Oops.
Let’s also not forget that Kirby was Sakurai’s creation. I mentioned before how Kirby had a scrapped copy ability called ‘Flower’ that had a bow like Lip’s and with that, Kirby’s copy ability for her would be a shoo-in if she were playable. Kirby’s down B also has him literally turn into a Garbage Block. Sakurai seems to have a very subtle love for the game most aren’t aware of due to how obscure she is. And, gradually over time, he’s been giving PdP some more subtle love between iterations. At this point, I’m convinced Lip will appear in some form in this game, especially with the Daisy and Waluigi thing going on. Whether she’ll appear as an assist trophy or a fighter, I dunno, but I might sound crazy I saying we might get the latter. This might be her time to shine, people. She would be a completely unexpected retro char no one would guess. (Besides die hard PdP fans, for how few of us there are.)
Also forgot to mention Lip’s Theme being a song in Brawl, but we have yet to see it appear in Ultimate.

Attachments

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Also forgot to mention Lip’s Theme being a song in Brawl, but we have yet to see it appear in Ultimate.
I hope it's still there, but knowing our luck, they'll have taken it out and replaced it with nothing.

Top Bottom