• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's like night and day. Loving these models!

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the slowness, December is always pretty busy for me with a lot of family related celebrations and also Christmas.

Anyone here plays MUGEN? While doing some google searching, I accidentally stumbled over Lip as a character. Too bad she's so obscure, there's only one relatively bad video of her, which doesn't showcase her properly at all. I could try and find a download and make a video about her moveset myself, but I really, really suck at traditional fighting games, so I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

It's like night and day. Loving these models!
I'm a bit late, but thanks for those kind words. It's pretty encouraging to hear.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Aaaaaa your avatar AAAAAA LIP IN MUGEN AAAAAAAAA

For the longest time I'd been planning something along those lines, but I don't feel as though I really have the patience to sprite all 600-odd sprites a fighting game character has, and I don't really know any good voice actors for her (and I don't want to limit myself to just "iku zo!" and "yatta!"). Seems someone's beaten me to the punch, though. Maybe something will come of my idea someday.

Then again, you know me. If I do Lip, then I'm gonna want to do Windy. And then Flare. And then everyone else.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'd be more excited for that if it were a totally original sprite but it's just a rip of her PdP overworld sprite. Pretty boring.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I'm still trying to make up movesets for her. I'm trying to see how many conventions can be broken. She's becoming less and less like a typical fighter with every change I make. I think I've gone too far already... yet I'm compelled to keep going

Flower Pop (Standard Attacks): When using any of her standard attacks, Lip's flower rod shoots 3 pop effects in the corresponding direction. They deal 1% damage have and low knockback, but it's easy to build up combos with them. The pops move forward from in front of her, upward from in front of her, and upward from above her depending on which standard move is used.
I've already shown my vision for her aerial attacks.

I forgot her neutral though. It's the one instance where they move downward from in front of her.

Garbage Block (Smash Attacks):
Lip makes a garbage block fall from a high-point of the screen. It is normally small, and doesn't do much knockback or damage, but if you combo you opponent(s) prior to using it, its size and power increases. Big garbage blocks will crush opponents. The 3 directions make it spawn at varying distances from her.
Down Smash is closest, Up Smash is furthest away, and Side Smash is somewhere in-between.

Lift (Neutral Special): Lip creates a panel in midair in front of her that falls to the ground. Once on the ground, it gradually raises throughout the match. Holding B makes it raise faster. When it reaches a stack of 3, each of the panels burst from bottom to top, with different effects depending on the stack's color. If an opponent is close enough to the top exactly when it reaches 3, they will be locked in place and exploded as if they were a fourth panel, taking much more damage than the base form of the attack.

Cursor Flip (Side Special): Lip quickly makes a small cursor appear and flip in front of her to reflect projectiles and turn incoming opponents around.

Cursor Transport (Up Special): A big cursor surrounds her and moves in the direction held. When you release B or hold the attack too long, she will flip in the direction she's facing. She’s also vulnerable while using the move. If you time it exactly when an opponent is directly in front of you, they will be captured in the other half of the cursor and move in tandem with you.

Stop (Down Special): An attack slightly similar to Jigglypuff's Sing. She pulls out Mr. Time who emits a sound wave around her that stops opponents for a very short bit of time. They're actually held on whichever frame of action they were committing at that point in time and continue to carry it out when they are freed.

Stage Clear (Final Smash):

Based on this animation that plays when you complete a level in the Stage Clear mode of PDP. She casts a bunch of explosions around the stage; rather than going all over the stage, the explosions stay within a boundary dependent on her position.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Really late reply, but that's a very interesting moveset you have there. It's interesting how fans can see the potential in certain characters the actual developers haven't. Ah well, maybe that'll change in SSB5.

I want to draw Lip again soon. I got a tablet for Christmas, so I'm sure I can pull something nice off!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hey guys, me again. Sorry I don't have anything to show off, but I'm really not feeling too hot right now. I love to draw these girls and I want to keep drawing these girls to showcase my love for the series in the hopes that it'll draw some interest from new faces and make our fandom grow, but the fact of the matter is, right now it's just the same four or five guys who have been regulars in this thread which itself only gets a post every two weeks or so, because--at the end of the day--Panel de Pon is a dead series that doesn't have the cult classic popularity of other dead series like F-Zero or Startropics, Intelligent Systems very obviously stopped loving the series at some point after 2003, and unless we all band together and do something drastic, something huge, to bring in new blood, rejuvenate the community somehow, and get a larger voice for ourselves, that's just the status quo.

I am working on a little something, but the nature of the project means it won't be done for another day or three (and that's being generous). I won't tell what it is until it happens, but it's coming along nicely, even if the work is a little tedious.

PsychoJosh

I don't think there's anything wrong with this being a casual discussion thread for the same people. There's only so much we can do, anyways.

I have my own projects which require my attention.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Here's something interesting.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Bennett Foddy (creator of popular games like QWOP and Getting Over It). He teaches video game design at New York University.

One of his projects is this multi-system mashup game called "Multibowl", which is a two player competitive Warioware-style game that makes use of many edited game ROMs across multiple systems and gaming eras (Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum, SNES, Genesis, and Arcade, just to name a few).

Basically the premise of the game is that you and your opponent are dropped into a random classic game and given a task to complete in each game. Completing the appointed task gives you a point, and the first player to get to ten points wins the game. The controls are the same for every game, which is just two buttons and the joystick.

It hasn't been publically/"officially" released and probably never will be, due to copyright issues and all that, but it is floating around the internet. It has a very large filesize due to all the edited game roms you need to download with it.

What makes this of particular interest to this thread is that one of the games you might randomly get dropped into is Panel de Pon. That's right, not Tetris Attack with Yoshi and friends, the but the original SNES Panel de Pon. In particular, the savestate uses a match between Ruby and Thiana. But I've also seen one that uses a match between Sherbet and Windy.

Here's a video of people playing it in a public location, so you can get the gist of it. I linked the proper timestamp for you guys.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Your reaction: Smash 5 adds a Lip Mii costume & Arle as a newcomer.
My reaction would be one of confusion more than anything else, because this would be a highly improbable scenario.

I very much doubt that a third party puzzle franchise would get representation in Smash before Nintendo's own puzzle series.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
My reaction would be one of confusion more than anything else, because this would be a highly improbable scenario.

I very much doubt that a third party puzzle franchise would get representation in Smash before Nintendo's own puzzle series.
I understand where you're coming from. Here's some things to consider:
1. Puyo Puyo Tetris was recently released on the Switch and sold near 1 million copies.
2. When it released back in 2014, PPT itself was kind of a big deal as it's a crossover with Tetris, possibly the most recognizable game in the puzzle genre.
3. The franchise has been more popular than Panel de Pon since its inception.
4. Arle is also one of Japan's most highly requested characters:
Now compare that to Panel de Pon/Puzzle League. The series never reached Puyo's level of popularity nor its sales. The most recent thing Nintendo has done with the franchise? A minigame in Animal Crossing. Lip definitely isn't as popular as Arle, and on top of that, Arle has actually managed to appear outside Japan.
Those are just some reasons I think Lip isn't as likely as Arle.

PsychoJosh

You know, maybe you should mingle around a bit in the Smash Switch Speculation Discussion thread and other threads if you'd like your Lip campaign to draw more attention. Can't always be confined to this thread.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Here's something I made a while ago but never posted here for some reason:

I wanted to draw Lip with a different emotion, because I draw her looking happy and sweet often enough. She's still a cutie, though. <3

You know, maybe you should mingle around a bit in the Smash Switch Speculation Discussion thread and other threads if you'd like your Lip campaign to draw more attention. Can't always be confined to this thread.
It couldn't hurt. Expose Panel de Pon to a wider audience, and all.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I wanted to draw Lip with a different emotion, because I draw her looking happy and sweet often enough. She's still a cutie, though. <3.
Oh, wow! This is so cute and hilarious!

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

I wanted to draw Lip with a different emotion, because I draw her looking happy and sweet often enough. She's still a cutie, though. <3

It couldn't hurt. Expose Panel de Pon to a wider audience, and all.
That's a great picture, nice job!

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Why's Lip so grumpy?

Maybe it's just one of those days.

Lip: Urrgh...

Kasha: Mmm? What's the matter, Lipple?

Lip: I don't know! I'm just in a bad mood. I need something to distract myself.

Kasha: Honya~ Why don't we go visit Rosamama?

Lip: Rosa... mama?

Kasha: Yeah! We can go help her bake a cake galaxy.

Lip: Oh... are you talking about Princess Rosalina? Why do you call her Rosamama?

Kasha: Whaddya mean? She's my mama! When I go see her she gives me lots of hugs and yummy things to eat and lets me sleep in her bed. She's the prettiest, kindest, sweetest, tallest, bestest mama ever, and I'm also all those things, except the "tallest" and "mama" parts. So that means she's my mama!

Lip: Uh... well I've heard she's a nice lady, but I'm not sure that's how being a mama works, Kasha...

Kasha: Nya! Of course it is!

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Ok I'm looking for a smash-ballot related comic that was in support of Lip
It had something to do with irrelevancy not being important and I'm pretty sure Roy was in it, does anyone know where I can find it? I've been looking for it everywhere and can't seem to find it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
SSB5 confirmed. Let the speculation begin.

Ok I'm looking for a smash-ballot related comic that was in support of Lip
It had something to do with irrelevancy not being important and I'm pretty sure Roy was in it, does anyone know where I can find it? I've been looking for it everywhere and can't seem to find it.
Here it is.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

So, is that what Lip's upset about in my pic, then?

Another round of waiting and waiting for something that may not happen?

I imagine it's intensely frustrating for Lip every time a new Smash gets announced.

upload_2018-3-8_16-7-54.png

"The Inkling girl gets in before me? For cryin' out loud..."

"Nya! You mean the girl with the pudding gun? I still think you're cooler than her!"

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I actually think Lip would be good friends with an Inkling, if they lived in the same time frame and universe. Both Inklings and fairies have pointy ears, and the girls are super-cute!

Might be just 4.5 instead if going by the release year showing 2018 at the end.
No, I think this is a new one. They wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of setting up a new website for just a Wii U port. Plus, Sakurai has apparently been working on this since his sabbatical after completing SSB4, so if it was an enhanced port, it would have had to have been in development for 3-4 years. At that point you might as well just make it a new game.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I actually think Lip would be good friends with an Inkling, if they lived in the same time frame and universe. Both Inklings and fairies have pointy ears, and the girls are super-cute!
Yeah, I don't think she hates the Inkling girl, I imagine it's just the anxiety and waiting that's getting to her, and how she necessarily has to take a backseat to newcomers every time.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hi it has been a while...

After the hopefully (Smash 5) trailer I had a an idea for an *caugh* completely new intro for Lip (and Flare [do you know why?]) -which is in no possible way, influenced by a certain trailer. *mischievously slow eye roll*

Lip and Flare are fighting it off with combo-style (many small blocks) while evading hits from the respective opponent. [They have a approx. 30 meter distance of each other] Suddenly they share a mutual look and then proceed with channeling their "Chain attack" as they are ready, they charging into battle, while trying to find a good opening (advancing in semicirces with approx. 3 meter dicstance), to unleash their attack.

"Gokisu" it bangs as the attacks are dealt. The combatants, barely able to eveade the incoming boulder-blocks, are gasping for air. Suddenly a deep "Huahahah" followed by a "Creation" sounds and a even bigger boulder smashes [no pun intended. rly.] the previously created ones. [Lip and Flare are standing now close to each other facing to the new Block] They are trying to identify the insignia of the offender it's a "circle with two slashes" as they are left puzzling [again not intended] a high pitched manically "hiahahaha" followed by "destruction" fast increasing in volume sounds, as it crashes first through the new -now crushed- Block and then sending Lip and Flare slightly flying while they just get a glimpse of the "white projectile". As they recover from the slight blow the creatures emerge from the shadows of the background. Its Masterhand and Crazyhand! They now need to team up to fight off that dangerous opponent. Do they stand a chance...?

*Gasp* I should go to bed already.. I wish you a good time everyone until next time.

Best regards LipFlare

KatKit

Smash Lord
Lip was one of the two characters I voted for in the old Smash 4 DLC poll. Lip's old support thread convinced me how cool she'd be; this one reminded me how much I want her in.

PsychoJosh

Alright, so there's a new Smash game on the horizon, I believe it's time we start really campaigning for the characters we want. N N. Onymous , you should really think about interacting more with the community outside this thread if you want Lip to get attention. How about nominating Lip for one of the "Rate their Chances" threads?

It's time to get the banners and signs ready! 5th time's the charm! Lip for Smash!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I just played my first Panel De Pon earlier this year. It was really good, and I had to do it, because I love Pokémon Puzzle League to death. And I like the concept of Lip, and the lore about it with Sakurai praising it, and bringing only the item Lip's stick...

I love placing Lip as a wildcard in rosters for Smash, so of course I will want to support my fairy girl.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I really, really, really need to get on finally finishing my SSB5 signature, don't I?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's been a while, hey everyone.

Smash is finally around the corner, can't say I'm anywhere near optimistic, but I do still really want Lip to join.

PsychoJosh

Sooner or later, Lip HAS to be in Smash. Even if we're all cyborgs by the time it happens, it'll happen.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have a huge hunch that Lip’s in this one. She’s got my full support.
Also, anyone know any way (besides emulation) to play the original Panel de Pon? Been meaning to try it out.

Top Bottom