• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
N N. Onymous I see. I know about the Splatoon scenario, but I just reread that post. Sorry.

On that note, I only suggested Yoshi as her rival because Yoshi really doesn't have much to go for with newcomers. When Yoshi's Story missed the mark, it stayed stagnant and didn't grow much. I never saw Yoshi as its own series after Story, just Super Mario Presents: Yoshi. The connection with Lip would work well for Yoshi and give him somewhat of a stronger presence. On the other hand, having the PdP characters tagalong with Yoshi would be a death wish for the IP itself, being absorbed by a Mario subsidiary (Which in turn is a DK subsidiary). I really wish Yoshi got its equivalent of DKC with a retelling and reimagining of the character and setting. Whether it's having each Yoshi with their own design and personality or even absorbing the fairies, anything to have it be more than just Mario-lite.

But that's another thread altogether. Have this:

An accurate depiction of the series' current state.
At least they finally dropped the babies from the Yoshi series, even if only because Good-Feel had no use for them, so that's a start. As much as the prospect of integrating the fairies into it is doubtful, the best that can be hoped for in regards to Lip at the moment is for her to remain in Smash. Like Captain Falcon, while this would mean she's alone, she can remind players that she actually exists.

Though I never actually knew I'd want to see Lip as a mom, but here you go.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think the follow-up to that picture has been posted here before. It's based on Grave of the Fireflies. It...doesn't end well for Furil.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Takamaru was only briefly considered before Sakurai thought "wait, most people wouldn't know him because he has only one game in Japan, never mind", so he didn't have chances much higher than James Bond in that regard, even with the eventual 3DS release of his game. Although the rest of the points you bring up makes sense.
That makes sense, but he still had the opportunity to add him in Ultimate after the 3DS release and the game in Nintendo Land based off of Marusame Castle but he still said no. I don’t think he’d be completely unknown to us at the time of Ultimate.

Unrelated to that though, interestingly enough, after looking this up, a scrapped Kirby copy ability in Kirby Super Star named ‘flower’ has a resemblance to that of Lip.
https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Kirby_Super_Star
Meaning, that if Lip did make it into smash, Kirby’s copy ability for her would practically be a shoo-in for Sakurai since this copy ability was considered in the past. (I know many people would think just having the bow with no hair is lame, but look how they handled the Rosalina copy ability in Smash 4.)
EDIT: I apologize if someone has already mentioned this before.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the follow-up to that picture has been posted here before. It's based on Grave of the Fireflies. It...doesn't end well for Furil.
Oh. I've seen that particular film. :(

That makes sense, but he still had the opportunity to add him in Ultimate after the 3DS release and the game in Nintendo Land based off of Marusame Castle but he still said no. I don’t think he’d be completely unknown to us at the time of Ultimate.

Unrelated to that though, interestingly enough, after looking this up, a scrapped Kirby copy ability in Kirby Super Star named ‘flower’ has a resemblance to that of Lip.
https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Kirby_Super_Star
Meaning, that if Lip did make it into smash, Kirby’s copy ability for her would practically be a shoo-in for Sakurai since this copy ability was considered in the past. (I know many people would think just having the bow with no hair is lame, but look how they handled the Rosalina copy ability in Smash 4.)
Well, that is true. Takamaru must be taking one for the team, if that's the case.

That said, this detail you brought up is interesting. Even in the old days, Sakurai was willing to reference PdP, considering how KSS was stuffed with nods to other Nintendo games from that period of time. The ballot may have been the perfect chance to finally gauge interest of the IP and get to use one of his older concepts, killing two birds with one stone.

Also, that card ability seems so cool, they ought to use that in Kirby someday.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope this 'box theory' isn't getting to you folks xD You guy's all seem pretty logical
I'm good. Don't know how many cross-thread travellers are reasonable though.

However, seeing as we likely won't get any news until early next month (putting aside the fact that this month's Direct got delayed shortly after the announcement), if the current pattern of "rumor leak of Direct -> Direct announced to air around 6th-8th of the month - > Smash stuff revealed" holds up, it's going to be a long two weeks.

It doesn't help that the website update won't be until tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I hope this 'box theory' isn't getting to you folks xD You guy's all seem pretty logical
Eh, I don’t buy this theory. If the banner on the website can progressively update, why can’t the box? I have confidence that with the ‘Everyone Is Here’ catchphrase, the hints picked up here and there, and Sakurai himself praising the series, we’ll at least see Lip as an assist trophy if nothing else. (Which I’m still rather skeptical about, because all these hints for an assist? Seems rather anticlimactic if you ask me. But I’m not going to set myself up for disappointment.)

11th

Smash Apprentice
This has been brought up before, but there's a chance that Takamaru didn't get the push expected because he was an Assist Trophy in Smash for, which is what most people assumed the ballot was for, so many of the votes that he could have gotten went to other characters. The same applies to other Assists, such as Skull Kid, hence my doubt that he is anything more than an unconfirmed Assist or possibly a boss this time around. (Not to mention that we already have a decent amount of OoT/MM representation, and the whole point of drastically changing the Zelda reps' appearances was probably to even things out.)

And just a random thought, but... is it odd that I think a reveal of Lip that uses Marth could be neat? They're both from the same company, and both were originally active around the same time, so there would still be some way to connect them. The puzzle "rivals" theme could be nice, too, but I feel like that's the obvious choice. (Though if you extend it to include any character than has been in a puzzle game, Lip vs. Ryu (Puzzle Fighter games) could be a good chuckle.)

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I found this Super Mario World hack starring Lip but it's been a WIP for years now.

Lip: A Fairy's Tale

Yeah, I know. Dammit. I really wish Panel de Pon moved past cult fanbase.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, there's something I kind of wish Fire Emblem would do (as 'detrimental' as it may seem). Have various little nods to Panel de Pon (and other I.S.-developed series, such as Nintendo's Wars games) sprinkled here and there. I feel like it would at least give some exposure to their other series (as minor of a reference as they may be).

NukeA6

Smash Master
You know, there's something I kind of wish Fire Emblem would do (as 'detrimental' as it may seem). Have various little nods to Panel de Pon (and other I.S.-developed series, such as Nintendo's Wars games) sprinkled here and there. I feel like it would at least give some exposure to their other series (as minor of a reference as they may be).
Thing is that Panel de Pon would be very out-of-place in any of those games. That's a job for Kirby since it's Sakurai's baby and he often includes some of Smash Bros in it.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Y’know, it just came to my mind that all of these videos all over YouTube and social media are talking about how bad Waluigi has had it over the years, being underrated and deserves more attention from Nintendo.
Well, guess what, not only does Lip deserve more attention from Nintendo, but just the public in general. Seriously, the poor little girl not only gets the axe from NoA being replaced by Yoshi, (and Furil with Pokémon) but she doesn’t even have that big of a fanbase to rely on for support, unlike Waluigi. I know as a matter a fact Waluigi made it higher than Lip in the ballot, no doubt about that. Waluigi still shows up in Smash as an assist. Lip? A stick and 1 song. Great. Sometimes I think Waluigi fans should put themselves in OUR shoes and realize just how much tougher we have it than them. (They probably won’t even know what the f**k a Lip is tho, lol.)

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Maybe there should be a Lip Stick item that temporarily transforms your character into Lip with a limited moveset. I know, bad joke.

11th

Smash Apprentice
Thing is that Panel de Pon would be very out-of-place in any of those games. That's a job for Kirby since it's Sakurai's baby and he often includes some of Smash Bros in it.
Mr. Sakurai hasn't worked on Kirby since 2003, and even so cameos from other companies aren't always so simple these days. Even with Smash the second/first-party rights holders generally need to approve of things from what I've heard, though this is obviously less of an issue now because most would love to have their properties represented for marketing reasons alone. But it's possible that this contributed to the "copyright friendly" (original creation) elements in "The Subspace Emissary", and it was a factor in Sukapon taking so long to make a bigger appearance. (A Q&A from Melee mentioned that "adult matters" prevented Sukapon's inclusion as an item.) There's probably even more that hasn't been mentioned publicly.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, maybe there could be little collectible trinkets relating to those series, like an Orange Star necklace or a few stickers of the panels from Panel de Pon?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Mr. Sakurai hasn't worked on Kirby since 2003
Seriously? So all he's been doing is Smash Bros?

Well, maybe there could be little collectible trinkets relating to those series, like an Orange Star necklace or a few stickers of the panels from Panel de Pon?
I guess for Advance Wars but Fire Emblem? That RPG series isn't exactly known for being light-hearted and that would be the equivalent of adding Puyo Puyo characters in Streets of Rage or Phantasy Star. Yeah Flower Fairy Lip could use some exposure but not in a way where it becomes forced.

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Seriously? So all he's been doing is Smash Bros?
Mostly. He worked as a designer on Meteos and an arcade game, both released in 2005, and directed Kid Icarus: Uprising, which released in 2012. The rest of his credited work since departing from HAL has been on Smash, though he had a "Special Advisor" credit for Kirby & the Amazing Mirror in 2004.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I did some more research on any more tidbits about Lip in smash I could find.
And I thought of something actually crazy enough to happen. It actually involves Waluigi. And it involves the quote-on-quote “fan animations” of Panel de Pon on YouTube right now:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTjnjEHso6HTvBDGWGFPoS8poC_WhjUx1
The reason I say quote-on-quote is because:
What if these animations actually ARE NOT fan animations like the channel claims them to be, and they are actually being made by someone at Intelligent Systems? I mean, think about it, no one has ever cared to wonder who this uploader actually is. And these PdP videos just started uploading in 2016, one year after the ballot and the same year as the AC update with the Lip outfit.
(Also this vid was uploaded in June 2018, same month as Ultimate’s first reveal, which Waluigi was seemingly deconfirmed as an assist trophy instead of playable.)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BTuqvcvCs&index=1&list=PLTjnjEHso6HTvBDGWGFPoS8poC_WhjUx1
And these animations actually look professional. Say these videos are made by them, and the series ends around the time of the last Ultimate direct. Lip gets an invitation to smash at the end. She then shows up last minute in the actual Ultimate direct in this same art style. She gets accepted into smash. But, Waluigi, as mentioned before, is sad she made it in before him. So, since Lip is a generous soul, gives him the invitation into Smash, and she takes his assist trophy status out of generosity. (Since all we want is more Panel de Pon representation, it would still be something more than what we had.)
Not only would this idea give the **** ton of Waluigi fans what they want, but it would also give Lip tons of respect and exposure from people outside of Japan to the point where Intelligent Systems makes worldwide Panel De Pon games due to a massive demand around the world, possibly more than Puyo Puyo. And the channel those videos were made on blow up in views.
For more proof, one comment in this video brings up Waluigi:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6BLkMwCJU&index=19&list=PLTjnjEHso6HTvBDGWGFPoS8poC_WhjUx1
The uploader responds to said comment with:
“oh...Waluigi...” HMMMMMM....
This might be the biggest curve ball Sakurai throws at us if this is the case.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Seems too conspiratorial to me. As far as I know, Wari is not connected to Intelligent Systems. He has his own Pixiv account with NSFW content on it, which doesn't strike me as something someone doing professional work would do...

I found this Super Mario World hack starring Lip but it's been a WIP for years now.

Lip: A Fairy's Tale

Yeah, I know. Dammit. I really wish Panel de Pon moved past cult fanbase.
That's mine! As is my way, I haven't really worked on it in a while. I keep underestimating just how much work goes into making a full game...even if it's just a ROM hack.

...yeah, I wish Panepon moved past cult status too. Maybe someday.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Probobly posted before, but found this and thought it was pretty cool.
It's based on the other fairies, which is all we really need.

NukeA6

Smash Master
That's mine! As is my way, I haven't really worked on it in a while. I keep underestimating just how much work goes into making a full game...even if it's just a ROM hack.

...yeah, I wish Panepon moved past cult status too. Maybe someday.
That might have been a great contribution to the Panel de Pon fanbase. I'd try my take on a Mario hack but programming isn't my forte. Oh well.

Even first person shooter user maps aren't easy but I feel like I should at least finish one.

Probobly posted before, but found this and thought it was pretty cool.
It's based on the other fairies, which is all we really need.

So who are the last two supposed to be? I can recognize all the other ones.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That might have been a great contribution to the Panel de Pon fanbase. I'd try my take on a Mario hack but programming isn't my forte. Oh well.

Even first person shooter user maps aren't easy but I feel like I should at least finish one.

So who are the last two supposed to be? I can recognize all the other ones.
One of them I believe must be Reimu Hakurei.
Last one "might" be White Len.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Oh I made this, the one you think is Reimu is actually Hikari from Nintendo's Shin Onigashima, the "White Len" one is actually just one I made up to get an 8th pallete.
That's pretty awesome! I found it at "Know Your memes" out of all places while checking Google. So I don't know where you originally uploaded it, but it's pretty awesome!

OH, OF COURSE. That makes a lot of sense. I should have thought of that first, but somehow Reimu did fit the colours and is on some people radar for potential newcomer speculation. And ok, that's fair.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It makes sense you'd get Reimu and Hikari mixed up. They're both black-haired young women in miko robes. Only Hikari has any real relevance to Nintendo's history, though.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
MasterRosie MasterRosie that is wishful thinking, but what those videos tell me is that someone voted for Lip in the ballot. How many votes she got will never be known, but that shows at least ONE person in Japan voted for her and is a dedicated fan.

Follow-up to that other image.

Panel 1 - (Pupuri's Grave on the tombstone)
Panel 2 - Lip: I brought a whole lot of eggs and rice cakes
Panel 3 - ...Furil? What have you been doing all this time?
Panel 4 - Furil! These...these are marbles!! They aren't panels!
Panel 5 - There's something here that's much better than those...
Furil: M-Mom... here...
Panel 6 - OK... I got rid of five of 'em
Panel 7 - I'll get a 3X chain too...
Panel 8 - You can... get rid of them?...

NukeA6

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXE2bXueq0g

Current Smashboards Mood

(DEAR LORD END THIS SILLY THING)
Even after the corocoro magazine reveal, they're still talking about the damn box?

MasterRosie MasterRosie that is wishful thinking, but what those videos tell me is that someone voted for Lip in the ballot. How many votes she got will never be known, but that shows at least ONE person in Japan voted for her and is a dedicated fan.

Follow-up to that other image.

Panel 1 - (Pupuri's Grave on the tombstone)
Panel 2 - Lip: I brought a whole lot of eggs and rice cakes
Panel 3 - ...Furil? What have you been doing all this time?
Panel 4 - Furil! These...these are marbles!! They aren't panels!
Panel 5 - There's something here that's much better than those...
Furil: M-Mom... here...
Panel 6 - OK... I got rid of five of 'em
Panel 7 - I'll get a 3X chain too...
Panel 8 - You can... get rid of them?...
Never knew I'd find something so depressing yet so amusing at the same time.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
The trailer itself could be called “The Underdogs” or something like that. Waluigi gets rejected in almost everything, same with Lip only worse because she doesn’t even have the grace of being an assist. And she’s indirectly been a part of smash since Melee, which is longer than the amount of times Waluigi was an assist. Poor thing.
There’s also the fact Waluigi got shafted for Daisy, a female associated with flowers who is a bit of a tomboy. Hm....if that description doesn’t fit Lip as well, I don’t know what does. In fact, Lip and Daisy share so much in common, it’s kinda freaky. Only Lip never rose to fame unlike Daisy. Yet.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf9PClQKOmg
Also, 1:10 in this Waluigi vid, the lyrics are ‘And from your Lips she drew the Waluigi’.
Okay, maybe I’m overthinking that one, but it’s still funny and jokingly links to the theory somehow.
Also also, Waluigi fans lost a ton of hope seeing him pop out of an assist trophy, just like how us Lip fans lost a ton of hope seeing Lip’s Stick in that one Richter picture.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Some, not all, Lip fans lost hope. Remember that an item, even an iconic one, is not a hard deconfirmation, else Samus and Mario wouldn't be in the game.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Some, not all, Lip fans lost hope. Remember that an item, even an iconic one, is not a hard deconfirmation, else Samus and Mario wouldn't be in the game.
True, and in a way, that relates us Lip fans to Waluigi fans. Fighting for our character to be in Smash despite the odds. I’ve been thinking that even though I’m striving for her to be playable, maybe it would be for the best for her to give a spot up for Waluigi and have her replace his assist trophy spot. That way, she would gain way more respect, love, and a growing fanbase if that were the case. The series takes off from there, and Intelligent Systems actually works on something that isn’t Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I mean, it's a nice thought, but who's gonna turn down an invitation to Smash Bros.? Especially when your series has been dead for ages?

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it's a nice thought, but who's gonna turn down an invitation to Smash Bros.? Especially when your series has been dead for ages?
I mean, she wouldn’t necessarily be turning it down, she would be doing what she thinks is right. Yes, her series has been dead for years. But if she made it in before Waluigi, they would probably flip, lose their minds, and in return, get mad at us Lip fans for that, making Lip hated. And I don’t want to see that happen. And given how many of them outnumber us, eek. If Lip takes this approach, yes, she wouldn’t be playable, but she would actually have a better chance at reviving her series due to her newfound respect for her good deed. In other words, she would be making a bit of a sacrifice so Panel de Pon has a chance at growing as a series and being more beloved.
In the end, no matter what happens, she’s definitely going to have more presence in Ultimate than before, which is all I really want.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Do not attack other fanbases. Show respect for other users and their ideas.
I mean, she wouldn’t necessarily be turning it down, she would be doing what she thinks is right. Yes, her series has been dead for years. But if she made it in before Waluigi, they would probably flip, lose their minds, and in return, get mad at us Lip fans for that, making Lip hated. And I don’t want to see that happen. And given how many of them outnumber us, eek. If Lip takes this approach, yes, she wouldn’t be playable, but she would actually have a better chance at reviving her series due to her newfound respect for her good deed. In other words, she would be making a bit of a sacrifice so Panel de Pon has a chance at growing as a series and being more beloved.
In the end, no matter what happens, she’s definitely going to have more presence in Ultimate than before, which is all I really want.
GTFO with that fan fic nonsense. Waluigi fans are cancer and would hate anything that they think replaces him. Nobody cares what they think.

Top Bottom