• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
for anyone that hasn't heard the news...
https://youtu.be/S4hD0dGre_Q

if you have any last artwork or messages you want to share regarding Lip on that platform, i guess now is the perfect time to do it. have to admit, it's a shame to see it go.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, shoot. Just a day before my birthday, too. I guess I'd better get all of the pics I had drawn backed up as soon as possible--I put some genuine love and effort into some of the drawings I made for that platform, especially the Lip ones, and it'd be a shame to see them disappear.

@Taigiry That Lip model is super cute, but I'm curious to know if you'd ever make.a model that's more accurate to her in-game proportions. Chubby Lip is the best Lip.

Once I get my laptop repaired/replaced I could see about drawing some new textures for the model, if you're interested.

D

Deleted member

That Lip model is super cute, but I'm curious to know if you'd ever make.a model that's more accurate to her in-game proportions. Chubby Lip is the best Lip.

Once I get my laptop repaired/replaced I could see about drawing some new textures for the model, if you're interested.
I personally see the more chibi styled Lip as just being stylized for certain artwork and consider the actual field backgrounds as how the characters do really look. This style is also used as the boxart as well as for the only figure of Lip that was made. Although I do admit that it is indeed confusing, given the artists couldn't make up their minds. I mean, there are so many discrepancies in her design... and we're talking about just one game. Sometimes she's tall, sometimes more chibi styled. Sometimes she has a blue "belt", sometimes it's just pink and part of the skirt as well as said skirt missing the white stripe as well on various art. And most of the time, they didn't even bother including the flowers on her boots, not eve hinting at them. Lip's weird, I tell ya.

But long story short and ending this rambling, I suppose it would be an easy thing to do. Remove some details, change some body proportions and that should be it. It shouldn't even require making a new model or anything. I think making her proportions closer to Ness or Lucas should do the trick.Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend, but right now I am, and I'm not sorry for the terrible pun to come, in a Sonic mania.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I tend to draw Lippy with proportions somewhere in-between her two-player mode artwork and her proportions in the rest of the game with a blue belt (to make it clear what it is; most of the other fairies have distinct belts anyway) and white fringe on her skirt, if that helps. I also tend to color her dress a light yellow-orange color rather than flat yellow or flat orange. Obviously I'm not the official word on the subject, but I feel like that's the most visually interesting design for her and likely her "canon" one.

A proportion adjustment seems like all that would really be needed. Remember that she's got a big old forehead, though, even in the two-player backgrounds!

(Edit: I feel like it's also worth mentioning that Lip's eyes are consistently drawn as tareme, a style of drawing eyes in Japanese media where they "droop" slightly at the edges. It's usually used to indicate a sweet or friendly character. Lip's tareme are especially noticeable when compared to the other fairies, who tend to have more traditional round eyes.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll see what i can do. Proportion changes are pretty easy and shouldn't take long, although I also have to admit that it's pretty low on my priority list as I like the proportions of the model as they are now.

As for the rest, that pretty much related to texture work which isn't my strong-ish point at all, as I mentioned last page. SO making detailed textures or changing the eyes isn't something I can do. But looking at at, I agree that her shirt might be a bit too dark, I'll make it a bit more yellow later. In fact, I want to rework the texture sheet anyway, making the actual colors flat and creating a normal map for easier recolors.

With Miiverse going away I thought to myself I would absolutely regret it if I didn't draw Lip before Miiverse went away so here it is.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAADV44c51CtsA

I just want to say, it is hard for me to draw on the 3DS, so I did the best I could. Also when it comes to the eyes, I needed to settle with the way they are, because if not i would have had gotten very frustrated to the point of considering canceling the drawing.

Also if anyone wants to, you have my okay to share or upload this anywhere. You can also use any of my other post I made on Miiverse, if you like.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'm bored.

What if Lip accidentally ate some Pikmin? Like they fell into her tea or something.

PsychoJosh

I'm not sure if I want to think about that... heheh. ^^;
Lip doesn't seem like the kind of person to try it on purpose.

Kasha would bring it up though because of her kitty instincts.

"They probably taste good, acus everything seems to want to eat them!"

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I haven't been active on SmashBoards for a while, ever since the DLC hype train stopped to be exact. I do still lurk here from time to time though, and i think it's so great that support for Lip and Panel De Pon is still going here.

Since you guys have been sharing your fanarts of Lip, i'd like to share some of mine that I've made.

https://imgur.com/a/edZ7F

I don't have a scanner, so they aren't the best quality. But i hope you'll like them! Thank you guys for still supporting Lip! :D

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been active on SmashBoards for a while, ever since the DLC hype train stopped to be exact. I do still lurk here from time to time though, and i think it's so great that support for Lip and Panel De Pon is still going here.

Since you guys have been sharing your fanarts of Lip, i'd like to share some of mine that I've made.

https://imgur.com/a/edZ7F

I don't have a scanner, so they aren't the best quality. But i hope you'll like them! Thank you guys for still supporting Lip! :D
dude. that's really good!

D

Deleted member

I decided to continue revamping the old Popples model. Excuse me for not having much to say about it, kinda have a bad headache right now.

Getting the mouth shape right was more trouble than it seems. Although I think it turned out quite well.

Trying to make give it some more realistic proportions while still keeping it cartoony.
While I started to remake the stage back around 2015, I scrapped everything from then and the first import and did everything from scratch. And if you ask me, it shows. A short overview;
  • The mountains now have proper holes for the face and look more like how they are in PdP, instead of using a barely modified Corona Mountain from Mario Sunshine.
  • The lake is now a proper lake and not just a flat texture to give the illusion of one.
  • The house will be much more detailed, with an actual interior, taking the design of Captain Rainbow as inspiration. Don't worry, I won't copy the layout, I'll only use it as a starting point and give it my own design. I'll do this one last though, as it's the least important aspect.
  • The petals look much nicer and sleeker, compared to the blocky low-poly stuff from before. They are still WIP though.
  • The models in general are more high-poly, considering I've gotten a fair bit of experience since I made the first version in 2014(?) and are now custom made and I don't have to rely on already existing models.
Things should go relatively quickly now, as I got most of the annoying stuff out of the way. As mentioned, I have to finish the petals and then I can start on the design of the actual main platform. Still debating on whether to use a new layout, or reuse the old one with a single flower acting as a small platform. Well, it's still a bit too early to think about that.

The petals were way too thick and couldn't be spaced properly with the platform in the middle as a result, making it ugly and possibly really awkward when using it as a Smash import. They were also needlessly high-poly.

Very low poly and blocky... just ugly.

D

Deleted member

I'm still not feeling much better and looking at the tiny sprites sure isn't helping, so progress is a bit slower than anticipated. Nonetheless, here's some progress, complete with comparisons to the old version.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hope you're doing alright, Tai. Your models are looking great. No need to worry about how they're turning out, if that's the issue. (It's probably more than that.)

Geez. I guess this is what I get for not checking the thread in a while. Now I'm really worried. ._.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's October, so I decided to draw Lip in a Halloween costume again. Not as a generic witch this time, though!

Maybe some of you will know who it's a costume of.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's October, so I decided to draw Lip in a Halloween costume again. Not as a generic witch this time, though!

Maybe some of you will know who it's a costume of.
Well, this is a massive, cute surprise!!

I need to still buy that lil' game on my 3DS someday, but I remember liking Alice a ton.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Lip just won a free sightseeing tour of the mountains of Popplis, courtesy of Windy Airlines! It...doesn't look like Lippy is enjoying it at all, though.

Can you tell the eraser smudged when I was drawing Windy's eyebrow and I had to use whiteout? orz

PsychoJosh

And Kasha flies right next to them in her underwear plane!

(As for the eraser, you can only tell when looking up close. I think you should save money for a drawing tablet.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Lip just won a free sightseeing tour of the mountains of Popplis, courtesy of Windy Airlines! It...doesn't look like Lippy is enjoying it at all, though.

Can you tell the eraser smudged when I was drawing Windy's eyebrow and I had to use whiteout? orz
Wow, this is pretty adorable!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Thanks guys! I basically drew it for facial expression practice. I think Lip's face is the best part, even if it's not really... Panepon-ish? (But it's cute and funny and that's what matters.)

If anyone wants to suggest something for me to draw, just ask. I'd love to draw more Panel de Pon fanart.

(As for the eraser, you can only tell when looking up close. I think you should save money for a drawing tablet.)
Well, even if I did have a tablet, I wouldn't be able to use it. No computer, remember. I do really want one though!

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
So a quick idea, what if for Smash Lip's design is updated by giving her small fairy wings? A couple of attacks could utilize them, such as ftilt has her turn and flutter them a few times to attack, and she could get a sort of hovering mechanic, where if she inputs a jump off the ground without attacking or fast-falling she automatically flutters her wings, reducing her fall speed and raising her air speed. This could be balanced by only letting it be activated once in the air, so if Lip double jumps after fluttering, aerial attacks, air dodges, or fast falls, the mechanic couldn't be activated again until she touches the ground.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Sounds cute, but I don't know if the Smash team would want to deviate from her character concept that much. As drastically as Pit was redesigned for Brawl, for example, he's still faithful to his NES incarnation. She's seen floating/jumping floatily in the SNES game anyway, even without wings. Magic is a beautiful thing.

How about Kasha and Lip and some other friend watching TV while it snows outside?

I imagine the world of Panel de Pon isn't too technically advanced, so Kasha has to give Lip a brief summary of what a TV is. (In her own way.)

Luminario

Smash Lord
Sounds cute, but I don't know if the Smash team would want to deviate from her character concept that much. As drastically as Pit was redesigned for Brawl, for example, he's still faithful to his NES incarnation. She's seen floating/jumping floatily in the SNES game anyway, even without wings. Magic is a beautiful thing.
Hmm good point. Though I suppose if they truly wanted to they could go the route of Palutena's wings and simply have them pop up when convenient to convey hitboxes or a hovering mechanic.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Maybe as a glowing outline of butterfly wings or something (to indicate that they're magical and she doesn't have them normally)? I always felt that if Lip was a winged fairy, she would have butterfly wings. Flower fairy and all that.

PsychoJosh

Are they watching a christmas special with the rhythm heaven singers?

I like it. I always pictured Kasha and Lip to be about the same height, but there's something very cute about her being a little smaller.

I have a drawing idea N. Onymous. Its a Pokemon battle between Lip using Floette and whichever of her friends you want, using the Pokemon of your choice.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Lip not appearing at least as a trophy in any smash game is confusing me and the lip stick is an item from panel de pon at least clu clu land had a trophy of the main character and an item has been used in smash but why didn't lip get at least a trophy in smash? she was sticker in brawl but she deserve a good 3d model and information about her since a lot of people outside the smash community may not know her but just recognize the item

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I like it. I always pictured Kasha and Lip to be about the same height, but there's something very cute about her being a little smaller.
I feel like Kasha should be shorter than Lip because, to me, she always came off as younger and less mature (a lot less mature). Though she's still young and, I feel, not really used to a leadership role--especially considering it was basically foisted on her--Lip is plenty assertive and competent, despite her cuteness inwardly and outwardly. Kasha is just a dork.

And yeah, those are the Chorus Kids!

Lip not appearing at least as a trophy in any smash game is confusing me and the lip stick is an item from panel de pon at least clu clu land had a trophy of the main character and an item has been used in smash but why didn't lip get at least a trophy in smash? she was sticker in brawl but she deserve a good 3d model and information about her since a lot of people outside the smash community may not know her but just recognize the item
It baffles me too, especially in SSB4. You've got a whole bunch of characters and items from significantly lesser, unproved series that did manage to get a trophy, like Nintendouji and Eddy from Fluidity (remember Fluidity? No? Exactly) and even trophies of characters that Nintendo didn't make at all, like CommanderVideo. Panel de Pon was almost 20 years old at that point and is over 20 years old now, so the fact that its entire representation in said game consists of a single item, its trophy, and a single song recycled from Brawl really stings. (And then, of course, Nintendo of Europe decided that Lip's Stick originated in Panepon's western hackjob "localization" Tetris Attack--and if recent trends are anything to go by, that will hold true for SSB5 in all regions. But that's another can of worms.)

I think that alone is the single biggest contributing factor to my theory at the time, and now, that SSB4 was intended more to advertise contemporary games than celebrate Nintendo's rich history. If it wasn't made within five years of development or didn't hold nostalgic value for those growing up in the 1980s (see: Duck Hunt, Pac-Man's retro-flavored design and moveset), it wasn't fit for inclusion. This was before the Animal Crossing cameo kinda-sorta put the series back on the radar, remember, and since Planet Puzzle League had pretty much killed the series outright seven years prior, Panel de Pon was given the cold shoulder. It's the only excuse I can think of besides the lack of good 3D models, especially since the "boys won't buy girl games" shtick doesn't hold water at all anymore. There's a certain other little-known game with a cute pointy-eared girl as its mascot that Nintendo put out just two years ago, and that did well enough in all markets to earn a hefty load of merchandise, cameos, even a sequel earlier this year. What's it called again? Splash Toon? I can't remember. Anyway, with the success of that little-known gem and Nintendo finally starting to acknowledge Lip and her series again, I'm really hoping SSB5 will change things for the better. Lip deserves to be playable at this point, I feel--if Bayo made it in, anyone can!

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It baffles me too, especially in SSB4. You've got a whole bunch of characters and items from significantly lesser, unproved series that did manage to get a trophy, like Nintendouji and Eddy from Fluidity (remember Fluidity? No? Exactly) and even trophies of characters that Nintendo didn't make at all, like CommanderVideo. Panel de Pon was almost 20 years old at that point and is over 20 years old now, so the fact that its entire representation in said game consists of a single item, its trophy, and a single song recycled from Brawl really stings. (And then, of course, Nintendo of Europe decided that Lip's Stick originated in Panepon's western hackjob "localization" Tetris Attack--and if recent trends are anything to go by, that will hold true for SSB5 in all regions. But that's another can of worms.)

I think that alone is the single biggest contributing factor to my theory at the time, and now, that SSB4 was intended more to advertise contemporary games than celebrate Nintendo's rich history. If it wasn't made within five years of development or didn't hold nostalgic value for those growing up in the 1980s (see: Duck Hunt, Pac-Man's retro-flavored design and moveset), it wasn't fit for inclusion. This was before the Animal Crossing cameo kinda-sorta put the series back on the radar, remember, and since Planet Puzzle League had pretty much killed the series outright seven years prior, Panel de Pon was given the cold shoulder. It's the only excuse I can think of besides the lack of good 3D models, especially since the "boys won't buy girl games" shtick doesn't hold water at all anymore. There's a certain other little-known game with a cute pointy-eared girl as its mascot that Nintendo put out just two years ago, and that did well enough in all markets to earn a hefty load of merchandise, cameos, even a sequel earlier this year. What's it called again? Splash Toon? I can't remember. Anyway, with the success of that little-known gem and Nintendo finally starting to acknowledge Lip and her series again, I'm really hoping SSB5 will change things for the better. Lip deserves to be playable at this point, I feel--if Bayo made it in, anyone can!
I feel kinda like, depending on how things might go within NoA and other oversea divisions for Nintendo, either they aren't yet... "ready", to push out Lip and her series as it originally is Japan, seeing just how deep these whole localization practices have bored down over the years.

Like the whole identity of Puzzle League, a.k.a "Western Panel De Pon" is probably the epitome of localization hackjob conundrum as it is, laid out bare whenever you see the title "Animal Crossing Pokemon Puzzle Game Doll-Up" whenever you boot up N3DS in New Leaf. It's why I think a crossover title has never been as natural to a puzzle series as this.

Still, as New Leaf, and probably Super Famicom Classic Mini + Captain Rainbow has probably cemented Lip with more grounded cult status in Japan, I think there's still some starting point incase Lip might gain more than teeny cult status outside of Japan. We can only wish Nintendo decides to act upon it at some point - but the gates are open this time further than ever before it was long time back.

Speaking of Captain Rainbow... I just found out that the translation patch's still been worked on after having forgotten all the way about it a long while back, so went to check the progress.

Guess what...

They're almost finished.

Looks like we might get to explore Lip's "other adventure" very soon.

(Feat. :4littlemac:, of course.)

(Link To The Site :linkmelee:)

So a quick idea, what if for Smash Lip's design is updated by giving her small fairy wings? A couple of attacks could utilize them, such as ftilt has her turn and flutter them a few times to attack, and she could get a sort of hovering mechanic, where if she inputs a jump off the ground without attacking or fast-falling she automatically flutters her wings, reducing her fall speed and raising her air speed. This could be balanced by only letting it be activated once in the air, so if Lip double jumps after fluttering, aerial attacks, air dodges, or fast falls, the mechanic couldn't be activated again until she touches the ground.

I remember making it that Lip would "skip" in the air, giving her what seems like playfully aesthetic multiple midair jumps akin to Kirby's Helpers to make up for their floating. Imagine how Wizzrobe in Breath of The Wild when not hostile.

Could also be humorous analogue to Yoshi's Flutter Jump, bridging cheekily the gaps between both series regarding their unconventional connections. :shades:

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I feel like Kasha should be shorter than Lip because, to me, she always came off as younger and less mature (a lot less mature). Though she's still young and, I feel, not really used to a leadership role--especially considering it was basically foisted on her--Lip is plenty assertive and competent, despite her cuteness inwardly and outwardly. Kasha is just a dork.

And yeah, those are the Chorus Kids!
Yes, on the surface Kasha seems less mature. She doesn't live on her own like Lip does, so she has less responsibilities and more free time to play around, which caused her to develop a very odd sense of humor. But occasionally she's required to be a brave adventure cat and go out on her own, which she does in high spirits.

Physically speaking, I think they're about the same biological age. It's hard to really compare the aging process of fairies with magical catgirls, but I would say they're both at nearly the same stage of their physical development.

A while back I drew this picture of her, not sure if I ever posted it here. I never had a pic of her in full profile before so I decided to make one. Maybe I'll color it sometime.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I feel like Lip should be around 11-12. I never really thought of Kasha as being that old, mostly since I'm tempted to think of less mature people like her as being younger, but you made the character. *shrug*

...I'm just realizing I forgot to draw a tail on the TV picture. Oops. Pretend her hair is obscuring it.

(In my headcanon, Lip actually lives in the palace with her mother the queen, with the flower/mushroom house being sort of like a vacation house. She doesn't actually want to stay there a lot of the time, since she feels that being treated like, well, a princess all the time is too stuffy and limiting, keeping her from doing what she really wants to do. Hence why her outfit is so plain-looking for a royal--it's an act of rebellion in a sense.)

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I thought that fuzzy dark thing stuck to her dress was her tail. But looking at it again I guess you meant it to be the interior of her hair?

My theory is that Lip is much older than 11-12 chronologically, because she's a fairy and they're a long-lived race. Similarly, Kasha's age isn't what it seems for various reasons in the lore I wrote for her universe. She comes from a modern society where anomalous/paranormal events and monsters are quite common so they employ magical girls to fight them. So that's why she could get along with Lip and not be totally bewildered by the fact that she's a fairy. Because of the magical influence in Kasha's homeworld, the laws of entropy (and therefore aging) behave differently.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Interesting idea. I sort of imagined the fairies of Panepon as, more or less, long-eared magical (and optionally winged or fish-tailed) humans, because that's essentially their design. Having them live for thousands of years, maturing physically and mentally at a much slower rate than humans, is a neat concept (and would be convenient for revisiting the world of the first Panepon while keeping the character designs the same).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Interesting idea. I sort of imagined the fairies of Panepon as, more or less, long-eared magical (and optionally winged or fish-tailed) humans, because that's essentially their design. Having them live for thousands of years, maturing physically and mentally at a much slower rate than humans, is a neat concept (and would be convenient for revisiting the world of the first Panepon while keeping the character designs the same).
My my, if this would flow so well on my personal HC about Lip and Fairies being the guardian spirits of Yoshi's Island, if only to bridge gaps between rough connections between both franchises. Kinda found it fun(ny) first when both got pit against one as rivalries that way, but TBQH, I didn't exactly find it very pleasant to imagine as the regular state, especially when you consider how things have changed since.

On that end, the guardian fairies could go possibly beyond, if we look at PKMN-series and Animal Crossing today. Fairy-type + Flower Gardening, anyone?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I like to think of Popplis as its own setting not connected to any other franchise. More room for world-building that way. Lip and friends deserve to stand on their own, not eternally live in the shadow of other, more successful franchises. Their world is full of possibilities to explore and, I'd assume, locations to visit--why should we have to limit ourselves to Yoshi's Island? (Shout-outs to other Nintendo franchises would be much appreciated, though!)

But I did have an idea for a Pokémon that would have a Fairy/Normal base form and would change its typing, appearance, and cry to match one of the Panel de Pon girls, based on what was done with it. Like a more complicated Rotom, sort of.

Base - Fairy/Normal
Lip forme - Fairy (My reasoning is that, according to Panepon's backstory, Lip can't use magic well naturally, so she has to focus her powers through her wand--hence why her forme has just one type)
Windy forme - Fairy/Flying
Sherbet forme - Fairy/Ice
Thiana forme - Fairy/Grass
Ruby forme - Fairy/Rock
Elias forme - Fairy/Water (defense-focused stats)
Flare forme - Fairy/Fire
Neris forme - Fairy/Water (offense-focused stats)
Seren forme - Fairy/Psychic

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Since the English patch's open for beta testing now, I might gonna go for playing through Captain Rainbow finally!

I'll see if I can share stuff about Lip in that game. :4pacman:

Last edited:
Top Bottom