• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think the difference lies in how long we went without Lip's Stick back then, probably something like 9-10 months. There was a legitimate thought it would not be in the game, whereas this time we got confirmation of our existing Panepon representation pretty darn quickly. We also didn't have the redesigned flower, the ballot, or items like Death's Scythe to give us hope.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
In all honesty, I'm a scrub who hasn't played Panel de Pon 64/NGC (just the SNES one), so can I get a refresher on the differences between Lip and Furil? For all intents and purposes, they seem like the same person in an Ado/Adeleine situation. I tried looking it up, but nothing has the answers.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
In all honesty, I'm a scrub who hasn't played Panel de Pon 64/NGC (just the SNES one), so can I get a refresher on the differences between Lip and Furil? For all intents and purposes, they seem like the same person in an Ado/Adeleine situation. I tried looking it up, but nothing has the answers.
They are similarly designed but different characters. The characters in Panel de Pon GCN are successors of some kind to the SNES cast--Furil's design is the most similar to her predecessor's, which has led to a bunch of confusion in the past, present, and likely future. Apparently at some point it became "common knowledge" that the Nintendo Puzzle Collection girls are the daughters of the SNES girls, but it's never mentioned in-game.

...Overall, Furil strikes me as somewhat weaker-minded and more feminine than Lip, from her body language to the way she acts in story mode. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I think between the two, I like Lip a little bit more.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Panel de Pon happens to be one of my favorite puzzle games of all time and being the ambitious kid I was, I wanted Lip in Brawl. I find it funny that elements from the game appeared as early as Smash 64 but the character herself never had an appearance yet (The sticker wasn't even her, but her daughter). I think her and many others are long overdue for the playable roster. Maybe in For an assist would be ideal but now, I think we can jump right to a playable role. What I'm trying to say is: Sign me up.

I got K. Rool at long last, it's time for my other wants since Brawl to get in as well.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Just dropping in to spread a bit of positivity!

Despite what Sakurai said and what the general consensus of the internet says; don't give up Lip just because of 'not expecting too many fighters". Sakurai is known to overdeliver; that's just the kind of person he is! So even if there are a lot of "shoe in's" out there; it doesn't mean that Lip will be left behind! I personally think we've still got 8 newcomers left. Optimistic? Maybe. But I trust Sakurai to deliver :3. Even if it was only 6 newcomers; We can get Banjo, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Geno and Skull Kid and still have room for Lip!

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Ini

Despite what Sakurai said and what the general consensus of the internet says; don't give up Lip just because of 'not expecting too many fighters". Sakurai is known to overdeliver; that's just the kind of person he is! So even if there are a lot of "shoe in's" out there; it doesn't mean that Lip will be left behind! I personally think we've still got 8 newcomers left. Optimistic? Maybe. But I trust Sakurai to deliver :3. Even if it was only 6 newcomers; We can get Banjo, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Geno and Skull Kid and still have room for Lip!
Initially there was less newcomers in SSB4 compared to Brawl until DLC arrived.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

"I hope you're not expecting too many newcomers," he says while introducing a game that gives us 8 newcomers and counting.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
To be fair, he might be referring to numbered newcomers, I.E., excluding Echoes, which are much less extensive to make than numbered fighters. So far, we've only got four non-Echo Fighters.

Like, I can imagine them adding less unique fighters than last two games, which introduced 18 and (not counting Dark Pit, Lucina and DLC) 17. However, we don't know by how less we're getting. Will it be 8 unique fighters? Will it be 12? Who knows. And the total number would bloat up thanks to the Echoes, which, depending on how many we get, might make Ultimate have more newcomers upon release than any other Smash Bros game in the past.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
To be fair, he might be referring to numbered newcomers, I.E., excluding Echoes, which are much less extensive to make than numbered fighters. So far, we've only got four non-Echo Fighters.
That is true, but personally I'm hoping for the best.

11th

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure it has been brought up here before, but while I've seen some general music talk, I haven't seen much mention of specifics since I joined, so... casual poll time? If you guys could pick any three Panel de Pon series songs to be added to Ultimate, be it as a remix or just a straight port, which would they be? For the sake of simplicity, no medleys or mixes outside of main/danger theme sets. (You don't need to give reasons, I just feel like explaining my choices.)

I think this is my list, in no particular order:
Cordelia's Theme (listen)
Like Lip's Theme, it's a song from the original Famicon release that wasn't heavily used in Tetris Attack... and honestly, aside from it being an amazing piece, I really just want it to create a reverse "Butter Building on the Halberd" situation. (i.e. Silly stage, dramatic music.)

Kain's Theme (listen)
Exclusive to Puzzle Collection release. It's a fun song, and regardless of whether Lip appears as playable in the future, it would definitely be fitting on the "other" category stages such as Pictochat 2, Wrecking Crew, etc..

Neris & Nathia's Theme (listen)
I think a remix with a touch faster tempo and higher quality instrument samples could work well for Smash. Flare/Rayea's Theme could swap in here if it had to be a port, since I like the existing mixes more than those for Neris/Nathia. I also already have some fire represented with Kain above, so may as well mix it up a little. -shrug-

Bonus impossible track:
Puzzle mode (?) music from Panel de Pon GB (listen)
Probably a bit too calm for Smash, but it's my favorite out of the tracks that got lost between GB and Puzzle Collection, and it could sound amazing remixed.

Also, bonus random idea related to stage music:
Given that Suzaku Castle proved that they could have the music switch under multiple circumstances (under 30 seconds left, last stock, or under 100HP in stamina mode), maybe a potential PdP stage could have its own music quirk to use the danger themes? Example: Once one of the fighters reaches 100%, the danger theme starts, and continues until the player loses a stock and drops back to 0% or the match ends. If a player resets to 0%, the original music either restarts or continues depending on if the game could keep track of the two songs separately.

... Or it could just do the same things as Suzaku Castle. I think switching back and forth would be a better representation of PdP, though, since you can always come back from having a massive garbage block dropped on you or having your stack close to the top.
Edit: The joys of typos.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
A second remix of Lip's theme, Flare's theme (remix or original), and a remix of the Vs. mode credits music.

The idea of the stage themes, at least the directly ported ones, changing out to their "panic" variations in critical moments is kind of an obvious idea, but it's still one I love. I'd have it work as in Suzaku Castle, since I've heard complaints about the panic music in any Puzzle League game that has it being kind of annoying to hear when it's constantly switching in and out.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Personally, the only music track I want in Smash (if Lip gets in of course) is Sherbet's Theme a.k.a Ice Stage. The creator of the Panel de Pon/Smash Bros. crossover also created an animated short a couple of years ago in commeration of PdP's 20th anniversary and the music they used at the beginning of that video was a vocalised dance remix of Sherbet's Theme. I'm willing to bet that a version like that but instrumental wouldn't feel too far out of place in Smash. Here's the video for reference:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I've been itching to work on a Panepon fan project for some time now...unfortunately, I don't know what I could do. A fan game, RPG or no, seems like it'd require far more talent than I've got. A fan animation project could produce fantastic results but is very time-consuming to work on, and ultimately I don't have the budget for the technology that could make it look anywhere close to presentable. My best bet is fan fiction--and although I've got one in a very early state, I don't know if it's tonally appropriate for the Panel de Pon series. It gets kind of dark, athough not past, say, Thousand-Year Door levels. As much as I love the idea of the girls going on adventures and getting into magical shenanigans, I think I like writing them the most when they're just hanging out and having fun together.

I wish I had Warideshi's ambition, is what I'm saying.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've been itching to work on a Panepon fan project for some time now...unfortunately, I don't know what I could do. A fan game, RPG or no, seems like it'd require far more talent than I've got. A fan animation project could produce fantastic results but is very time-consuming to work on, and ultimately I don't have the budget for the technology that could make it look anywhere close to presentable. My best bet is fan fiction--and although I've got one in a very early state, I don't know if it's tonally appropriate for the Panel de Pon series. It gets kind of dark, athough not past, say, Thousand-Year Door levels. As much as I love the idea of the girls going on adventures and getting into magical shenanigans, I think I like writing them the most when they're just hanging out and having fun together.

I wish I had Warideshi's ambition, is what I'm saying.
If you ask me, I'd say you've already got some of that ambition by making the Lip for Smash threads. Still, you shouldn't sell yourself short. I'm sure you can come up with something good.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I hope you don't mind adding a lurker like myself to the supporter list.

She may not be my most wanted character anymore but I was actually one of the original supporters of Lip in Smash Boards back before Brawl got released. It's really nice to see the support Lip has gotten nowadays. Honestly, we would been crazy to even have just a little bit of what this thread has. I especially like that little Youtube Smash Bros crossover series that gets posted here every couple of pages.

Anyway, just hoping the little fairy finally gets her spotlight because it would do a whole lot for Panel de Pon. I mean, look what it did for Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I hope you don't mind adding a lurker like myself to the supporter list.

She may not be my most wanted character anymore but I was actually one of the original supporters of Lip in Smash Boards back before Brawl got released. It's really nice to see the support Lip has gotten nowadays. Honestly, we would been crazy to even have just a little bit of what this thread has. I especially like that little Youtube Smash Bros crossover series that gets posted here every couple of pages.

Anyway, just hoping the little fairy finally gets her spotlight because it would do a whole lot for Panel de Pon. I mean, look what it did for Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.

Wow, we got a true veteran in waiting here! Nice to have you join aboard once more.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I've been going back and forth long enough. Sign me up as a supporter! It's high time we get puzzle game representation that's not Mario Who Went to Med School.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. I just... don't know.
On one hand, Takamaru's been deconfirmed, so the "retro rep that isn't a surprise bombshell" slot is open for the taking.

On the other hand, the Lip's Stick item is back, and we're (allegedly) not getting anymore stages.

I'm really torn.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's all but guaranteed that we'll het more stages when more newcomers from more series are revealed. Why spoil the surprise? Plus, even then, Fire Emblem didn't have a stage in Melee, R.O.B. has never had a stage at all, and Wii Fit Trainer didn't get anything in 3DS. Don't lose hope over something so silly.

I actually feel like Mallo from Pushmo is Lip's strongest competition at this point. Not that he has any real moveset potential--what would he even do besides push blocks around--but if IS was going to loan out any puzzle character at all, it could very well be him. See how WarioWare Gold has a Pushmo microgame while a...ahem...certain other game series gets shortchanged yet again. For obvious reasons I hope this doesn't happen and they'll see the appeal that a cute fairy has over some frankly uggo dog-sumo-thing.

I've been going back and forth long enough. Sign me up as a supporter! It's high time we get puzzle game representation that's not Mario Who Went to Med School.
I know exactly how you feel. To have such a diverse and unique genre of games be represented only by a clone character really feels like a missed opportunity. And to have it be represented by Mallo or a literal stick figure wouldn't be any better.

Last edited:

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
It's all but guaranteed that we'll get more stages when more newcomers from more series are revealed. Why spoil the surprise? Plus, even then, Fire Emblem didn't have a stage in Melee, R.O.B. has never had a stage at all, and Wii Fit Trainer didn't get anything in 3DS. Don't lose hope over something so silly.
opportunity.
You know what's especially weird? Having every stage shown 4 months before launch.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Right. They've got to keep at least a few surprises hidden away for later.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's in the first post already (and was drawn by semi-regular Itty Bit), but it's still an excellent picture. Then again, I love most pictures of Lippy.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you guys ever think about Meteos on the DS and how Sakurai's experience with developing puzzle games might motivate him to do a Panel de Pon revival with Intelligent Systems someday? Just a thought to think about. I am kinda biased and wanna see a For the Frog the Bell Tolls revival from Sakurai, but I acknowledge the real possibility of him reviving Panel de Pon too in the near future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All Ultimate generals are borked for some reason, so this thread may get some limelight for a bit.

Do you guys ever think about Meteos on the DS and how Sakurai's experience with developing puzzle games might motivate him to do a Panel de Pon revival with Intelligent Systems someday? Just a thought to think about. I am kinda biased and wanna see a For the Frog the Bell Tolls revival from Sakurai, but I acknowledge the real possibility of him reviving Panel de Pon too in the near future.
I wouldn't mind seeing that. Then again, Sakurai hasn't shown interest in working on KI Uprising until after Pit was made into a fighter, so I think Lip would still need more than some lip-service for that to happen.

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
I've been quiet over here for a bit, but it's nice to see people still care.

In a couple of months, it'll be Panel de Pon's 23rd anniversary. Wishful thinking, but something nice could happen on that date.

So happy the people at IntSys did the little remix album for this game, all the way back in 2002. This song is still the best:

All Ultimate generals are borked for some reason, so this thread may get some limelight for a bit.
Huh? What happened?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been quiet over here for a bit, but it's nice to see people still care.

In a couple of months, it'll be Panel de Pon's 23rd anniversary. Wishful thinking, but something nice could happen on that date.

So happy the people at IntSys did the little remix album for this game, all the way back in 2002. This song is still the best:

Huh? What happened?
There was a weird site error that broke the entire thread. Seems to be mostly fixed now.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Like, maybe... I'm just grasping at straws here, but... revealing Lip as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

(Real talk, if that happened I'd never ask Sakurai for anything ever again. Except not cutting Lip.)

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Furil's pet, Pupuri DOES appear in Dr. Mario and Puzzle League for the GBA, but you have to pick Image 4 in the options menu. I know people who played this game would be too vague for them to know who this animal is. They removed the voice though. They really represent Panel de Pon outisde of Japan in a very vague way, and the other example is that PPC easter egg.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The closest thing we ever got to an official, unedited, unlocked appearance of the fairy characters, and it's hidden behind a not-terribly-transparent menu option in a mediocre multiboot cartridge (that still manages to be better than Planet). Sad. I hope that can change soon.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
A New Panel De Pon would be amazing.
Just an original HD Port of the game with English translation and the fairies would be amazing for virtual console type of usage, just to spark some more interest in the series, for the gameplay has been tight since the beginning!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
All the original game really needs to be palatable to today's standards is a presentation upgrade, maybe an expansion of story mode. I want to feel like I'm playing a Panel de Pon anime, guys. Make it happen a year ago! (In fact, make the anime too.)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm thinking something like Precure, but with Lip and the gang. It seems like the perfect mix of cute girls being cute and elaborately scripted action sequences to use as a base.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Thank you for the kind words. It really means a lot to me, and I'm sure it does to the rest of us as well. Just how Lip would want it!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
It's in the first post already (and was drawn by semi-regular Itty Bit), but it's still an excellent picture. Then again, I love most pictures of Lippy.
Aww dang you're right. I thought it was really new.. I remember looking at all the stuff in the OP before, but I don't know why I don't remember it being there lol
I don't know, but I love me some Meteos the same as I love me some Panel de Pon! These two are prolly my fav puzzlers of all time- and it's a dang shame they never ever got proper sequels... I mean, what's so great about tetris and candy crush anyways?
A shojo Panel de Pon anime would be excellent, not gonna lie.
I would watch the heck out of that! :love:
I'm thinking something like Precure, but with Lip and the gang. It seems like the perfect mix of cute girls being cute and elaborately scripted action sequences to use as a base.
have you been watching Hugtto PreCure this season? I've finished other mahou shoujo like Lyrical Nanoha and Madoka Magica but this is the 1st time I started watching a PreCure series. (I did it becuz this time PreCure has Yukari Tamura voicing a main character :smirk:)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A shojo Panel de Pon anime would be excellent, not gonna lie.
All the original game really needs to be palatable to today's standards is a presentation upgrade, maybe an expansion of story mode. I want to feel like I'm playing a Panel de Pon anime, guys. Make it happen a year ago! (In fact, make the anime too.)
I'd love to see a PdP anime!

have you been watching Hugtto PreCure this season? I've finished other mahou shoujo like Lyrical Nanoha and Madoka Magica but this is the 1st time I started watching a PreCure series. (I did it becuz this time PreCure has Yukari Tamura voicing a main character :smirk:)
Honestly, Pretty Cure would be the perfect base for a Panel de Pon anime! Speaking of that series, I've even started (as of yesterday) to watch Smile PreCure! from beginning to end! It'll be the first PreCure I've ever done this with! I'm already 6 episodes in!

Apparently Furil's pet, Pupuri DOES appear in Dr. Mario and Puzzle League for the GBA, but you have to pick Image 4 in the options menu. I know people who played this game would be too vague for them to know who this animal is. They removed the voice though. They really represent Panel de Pon outside of Japan in a very vague way, and the other example is that PPC Easter egg.
Wow, to think there was something like this in the West. Honestly, I bet you this was just a remnant of when Nintendo Puzzle Collection was planned for a Western release. So that by the time that Dr. Mario and Puzzle League (for GBA) released over here, people WOULD have already known just who Pupuri was by that time. Unfortunately, the Western release DIDN'T happen, and... you know...

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Wow, to think there was something like this in the West. Honestly, I bet you this was just a remnant of when Nintendo Puzzle Collection was planned for a Western release. So that by the time that Dr. Mario and Puzzle League (for GBA) released over here, people WOULD have already known just who Pupuri was by that time. Unfortunately, the Western release DIDN'T happen, and... you know...
The Pupuri from (The downloadable NPC) and the Stars Menu (from Panel de Pon) Backgrounds can be used by choosing Background 14 and 16 respectively.
Background.png
Background2.png

In the end, so far the PPC Debug Code, Dr. Mario & Puzzle League graphics options, and the Animal Crossing Puzzle League Fairy Flower items are the only content from Panel de Pon outside of Japan within the Puzzle League series localized name branding only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom