• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I see that people seem to generally agree on giving her a Japanese VA, but if she were dubbed into English; which VA do you think would fit Lip best?
Either Hynden Walch (Viridi, Starfire, among others), or if we're not limiting ourselves to American voice actors, Chiara Zanni (Hamtaro). That said, I'm sure there are plenty of UK-based voice actors who would be able to do her character justice. Something about the idea of Lip with a British accent tickles me.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Either Hynden Walch (Viridi, Starfire, among others), or if we're not limiting ourselves to American voice actors, Chiara Zanni (Hamtaro). That said, I'm sure there are plenty of UK-based voice actors who would be able to do her character justice. Something about the idea of Lip with a British accent tickles me.
If we're talking about British voice actors, the first one that comes to mind for me is Joanna Ruiz. For those wondering, she's done voice work for quite a few children's TV shows in the past; most notably for me, the British dub of Clifford.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

An adorable picture of Lippy with some of her...successors, let's say. I guess there are no hard feelings! I don't know who drew this, but I love the picture and I figure you guys would too.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I don't know if this is reliable or not but a user named WhisslBlank on NeoGAF has posted what he claims is a leak detailing SSBU's final character additions and one of those characters is Sable Prince who was an AT in SSB4 and if you recall, placed below Lip in that poll from 1999 that Taigiry posted several pages back. If this leak turns out to be true, it'll be a real kick in the teeth for us PdP fans. Here's a link to the thread that the leak is in so you can judge for yourselves:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/supe...ite-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sable Prince isn't happening lol. I have heard that, though, because several Isaac fans have talked about it. I don't see Soren happening for Robin because he just doesn't work, and I'm certain Dixie Kong is happening as well for Diddy. Diddy's tail jabs didn't get removed for no reason.

D

Deleted member

Galacta Knight, really? You're telling me Sakurai got rid of all the alt colors that were based on other characters (Mario's Wario color, Dark Samus and even made more changes to "Dark" Pit to make him more distinct from the actual Dark Pit), yet adds a completely new costume based on Galacta when he's apparently in the game? Sounds very contradictory.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Galacta Knight, really? You're telling me Sakurai got rid of all the alt colors that were based on other characters (Mario's Wario color, Dark Samus and even made more changes to "Dark" Pit to make him more distinct from the actual Dark Pit), yet adds a completely new costume based on Galacta when he's apparently in the game? Sounds very contradictory.
Yeah, this is why I said "I don't know if this is reliable or not". I only brought it to attention because it's being talked about quite a bit.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah Galacta Knight is another huge problem. I thought it was possible until people started saying that Galacta Knight's alt color is still in. Not that I believed the rumor as a whole.

IMO, Lip is still the most likely "obscure" character if they add one. I just don't think they are this time. I hope I'm wrong.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Yeah Galacta Knight is another huge problem. I thought it was possible until people started saying that Galacta Knight's alt color is still in. Not that I believed the rumor as a whole.

IMO, Lip is still the most likely "obscure" character if they add one. I just don't think they are this time. I hope I'm wrong.
You don't think they're adding an "obscure" character this time? It's possible but who can know for sure?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah I don't. We've got a very limited roster this time around. I think they're going to stick with characters who can be easy Echoes, and/or focusing on characters who placed high in the ballot. Any high ranking characters who weren't super popular (near the top), and can't be Echo Fighters, will be AT's instead.

However, again, if we do get an obscure character, Lip is at the top right now due to those new models for the flowers making me think she's got a decent shot at that spot.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You can't just go around blindly trusting every random "leak" you run into on the internet, that's an awful way to live your life. If I had to guess, the Sable Prince is still an Assist. Simply not appearing as an Assist Trophy isn't enough to count as evidence in that character's favor, unless there are other things to point at their inclusion like with Shadow. People said exactly the same thing about Ashley, remember.

It hurts me to write this since they're both great games, but: Lip, who has a--if not large--then at least healthy and devoted support group dating back to the Melee era. She's just the better choice for an obscure, Japan-only character, if that's a niche they want to fill. For the Frogs the Bell Tolls is the rarest of breeds--a game that's even more obscure than Panel de Pon, to the point Prince Comal appearing in person in SSB4 while Lip didn't was surprising. Again, I love both games, but Lip really does have a better shot.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
You can't just go around blindly trusting every random "leak" you run into on the internet, that's an awful way to live your life. If I had to guess, the Sable Prince is still an Assist. Simply not appearing as an Assist Trophy isn't enough to count as evidence in that character's favor, unless there are other things to point at their inclusion like with Shadow. People said exactly the same thing about Ashley, remember.

It hurts me to write this since they're both great games, but: Lip, who has a--if not large--then at least healthy and devoted support group dating back to the Melee era. She's just the better choice for an obscure, Japan-only character, if that's a niche they want to fill. For the Frogs the Bell Tolls is the rarest of breeds--a game that's even more obscure than Panel de Pon, to the point Prince Comal appearing in person in SSB4 while Lip didn't was surprising. Again, I love both games, but Lip really does have a better shot.
Trust me, I don't trust this "leak" but like I said, I only brought it to attention because it's being talked about quite a bit.

Anyway, on another topic, here's Episode 5 of the Panel de Pon/Smash Bros. crossover:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Thing is, people who don't know about Lip may still know about her franchise, as well as Lip's Stick, so she's definitely the better pick overall. At least her franchise got localized even if she wasn't localized with it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Sable is my most wanted newcomer, and yet I can’t disagree with you.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Trust me, I don't trust this "leak" but like I said, I only brought it to attention because it's being talked about quite a bit.

Anyway, on another topic, here's Episode 5 of the Panel de Pon/Smash Bros. crossover:

Screenshot 2018-08-13 at 2.06.46 PM.png
Lip's sprites were not only based on the unreleased GBC sprites, but it also came with the SFX and Music. Lip's voice in this part of the video was the unused GBC one you heard in the game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
View attachment 157528 Lip's sprites were not only based on the unreleased GBC sprites, but it also came with the SFX and Music. Lip's voice in this part of the video was the unused GBC one you heard in the game.
Insane showing of their work. I'm practically reminded of SMBZ's entire chapter revolving around Minus World with that kind of dedication.

Also you can rest easy, this leak's been proven fake.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Let's not blindly put our faith in anything. Smash Ultimate will be what it will be, Lip or no Lip. (But let's hope there IS Lip!)

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Let's not blindly put our faith in anything. Smash Ultimate will be what it will be, Lip or no Lip. (But let's hope there IS Lip!)
Yeah, it seems like that particular "leak" was made by somebody impersonating the original leaker and added new things to the original "leak" which only had Simon, K. Rool and Isaac as new characters with Chrom, Ken and Soren as new Echos. It's not gonna affect Lip's chances any but just like with you, the hope is still there with me.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, it seems like that particular "leak" was made by somebody impersonating the original leaker and added new things to the original "leak" which only had Simon, K. Rool and Isaac as new characters with Chrom, Ken and Soren as new Echos. It's not gonna affect Lip's chances any but just like with you, the hope is still there with me.
Soren still kinda kills it, but Chrom being a Roy Echo is ever so slightly interesting. If that person called Richter I'd be going crazy over Isaac now, but Chrom being a Roy Echo isn't enough for me to jump on that bandwagon.

The only reason Prince Sable is being mentioned a lot now is because his AT is still MIA. Its obviously still MIA because they're saving some AT's as some got promoted (probably Isabelle and Shadow ATM). Prince Sable is far more obscure than Lip and especially Takamaru, who is still an Assist Trophy.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Soren still kinda kills it, but Chrom being a Roy Echo is ever so slightly interesting. If that person called Richter I'd be going crazy over Isaac now, but Chrom being a Roy Echo isn't enough for me to jump on that bandwagon.

The only reason Prince Sable is being mentioned a lot now is because his AT is still MIA. Its obviously still MIA because they're saving some AT's as some got promoted (probably Isabelle and Shadow ATM). Prince Sable is far more obscure than Lip and especially Takamaru, who is still an Assist Trophy.
AFAIK, only the second leaker mentoned Richter and his first post which mentioned Richter was posted AFTER the Direct so take from that what you will.

Also, about Prince Sable, the funny thing is that his and Lip's games were both developed by the same production teams (Nintendo R&D1 and Intelligent Systems). TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing both but right now, my desire to see Lip in Smash is greater.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Well, don't just sit there, man, tell us. I'm curious.

Sorry I just got finished with a move. Anyways, well this is the idea for a hypothetical Panel De Pon game that I'd like to pitch to nintendo if/when I get the chance.

The game would be pitched as Panel De Pon World (tentative name) and would play as a puzzle RPG split into a main overworld section and "battles" which equate to normal puzzle league matches with additional specials that can be used to do damage to the opponent. The game would also have a classic arcade mode, additional game modes and multiple matches that consist of up to eight players combating in puzzle league matches with or without special abilities. The main part of the game that would be advertised is the story mode as it is a bit more flashy and its easier to convey the concepts of freshness and fun.

As for how the story mode would play out, you would start with Lip moving in a 3D world. In this world she has one move using her stick (along with a jump). this would cause specific things she hits to sprout with plant/flower life creating platforms, climbable terrain, etc. As you continue through the game she will unlock two additional magic abilities from Thiana and Windy. She will use these moves to solve continually evolving puzzles to progress. If she hits any enemy on the overworld, she will be put into a battle against the enemies which consist of puzzle league matches. For basic enemies, instead of having matches like in previous panel de pon games, it will be solo puzzles where every combo you make does a set amount of damage to the enemy based on how high the combo and your level. Enemies over time of the match will cast spells that can either add a new block type, drop garbage blocks, petrify a certain block so that can't be moved, etc. Thereby the longer it take to defeat the enemy, the harder the match becomes. You also have a combo meter where once you rack up a certain amount of combos, you can cast a spell based on your level. Boss battles play much like classic panel de pon with the exception that both Lip and the boss can use spells based on the combo meter.

As the story progresses, Elias, Flare, and a new Fairy based on Dreams joins your party. Each fairy has three magic moves they can use to solve puzzles and each fairy has their own puzzle type for when they get into battles. For instance Elias has the ability to surf on water allowing her to get to places other fairies can't and can pour water down which can either move things like a water wheel or weigh a bucket down. Flare can shoot fireballs that burn certain items or make a glass shield from the ground to reflect certain obstacles. The new fairy can create portals and levitate objects. All four fairies can either follow the group or move seperately. Only one fairy can be controlled at a time and switching and disconnecting are each controlled by bumper buttons.

As for the story, it follows from Panel de Pon, Lip is learning the ropes to become new queen. When all the populace and creatures start to act strangely and begin arguing and attacking one another, Lip steps in to stop the madness and find out what's going on. Cordelia has gone missing again with players being led to believe that the plot will follow the same as its prequel (which isn't the case).

Now for marketing, the important factors to advertise is
1: Not only is this the first Panel De Pon game in a while, but is also the first game that allows you to fully explore the world

2: This game has a massive set list for way to play Puzzle League, with players being able to have control on match length, classic vs modern modes, number of block types, 4 different action puzzle variants that can be cast against each other, alongside different game modes to add to the fun inluding:
1) 8 player Puzzle matches
2) Puzzle Cards: a game mode where you can play to the best of X matches, using cards to power up your abilities and/or handicapping your opponent
3)Rotation mode: where you play multiple Action puzzle variants and are able to switch to different boards with the touch of a button.

3: That this game has an engaging story mode that allows you puzzle it out in both action puzzle matches as well as overworld puzzle challenges.

so to do this, it starts with a a spotlight in a direct like most games. This will show off the different modes, hint at the story, and showcase the art style and gameplay. Youtube partnership is a must as it is free advertising. I would even include a downloadable demo with a puzzle room that allows you to solve a overworld puzzle and bump into enemies to play puzzle league matches. What you really have to sell people on is the world and the characters, if they find the world and characters engaging then you win. So for this I say that four short animations should be included that showcases each of the four fairies solving a problem using their magical ability of choice and whits all the while being adorable.

Anyways this should give an idea of what I would have proposed.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

An adorable picture of Lippy with some of her...successors, let's say. I guess there are no hard feelings! I don't know who drew this, but I love the picture and I figure you guys would too.
Shouldn't Villagers from Acnl appear in this pic too?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Anyways this should give an idea of what I would have proposed.
Yep, this sounds like my dream Panel de Pon game. I'm not 100% sure on your choice of playable characters, though. I think if I was doing it, the four playable characters would be chosen based on the four classical elements, featuring the others as prominent NPCs who give them power-ups later in the game:

1. Lip, of course (gets power-ups from Thiana and Ruby), representing earth
2. Elias (gets a power-up from Neris), representing water
3. Windy (gets a power-up from Sherbet), representing air
4. Flare (gets a power-up from Seren), representing fire

This would also give the main cast a "four-temperament ensemble"--Lip being (only relatively) melancholic, Elias being phlegmatic, Windy being sanguine, and Flare being choleric. Read up on that here if you don't know what I'm talking about. It wouldn't leave any room for the dream fairy character you mentioned, though...

Either way I hope you can find a way to pitch it to Nintendo directly. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Yep, this sounds like my dream Panel de Pon game. I'm not 100% sure on your choice of playable characters, though. I think if I was doing it, the four playable characters would be chosen based on the four classical elements, featuring the others as prominent NPCs who give them power-ups later in the game:

1. Lip, of course (gets power-ups from Thiana and Ruby), representing earth
2. Elias (gets a power-up from Neris), representing water
3. Windy (gets a power-up from Sherbet), representing air
4. Flare (gets a power-up from Seren), representing fire

This would also give the main cast a "four-temperament ensemble"--Lip being (only relatively) melancholic, Elias being phlegmatic, Windy being sanguine, and Flare being choleric. Read up on that here if you don't know what I'm talking about. It wouldn't leave any room for the dream fairy character you mentioned, though...

Either way I hope you can find a way to pitch it to Nintendo directly. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun!
The reason behind the playable fairy choices is based on gameplay options; my philosophy on game design is gameplay first and let that influence the aesthetics. I get the elemental choices you made, but I have to ask to what regard did you make that choice? Does it fit a story narrative? Gameplay narrative? Its a nice little detail but without having a reason outside of classification, it just becomes a restricting design decision.

While I didn't list all the abilities, I came up with all the abilities first and then assigned them to fairies. Adding a new playable character also opens the door with what you can do with said character and it allows you to advertise to a potentially new demographic. I originally considered adding Selene as the fourth fairy, but when it came to fleshing out the story and overworld abilities, it didn't make sense. As for the powerups, It was planned that other fairies would unlock different overworld abilities. Either way you can play as any fairy in the vs mode so that's that.

And of course with any proposal anything is subject to change. But anyways thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know, everytime a PdP-fangame concept is suggested here with RPG-elements, my memory keeps jogging me about having seen one in Youtube done by some french dude. But that was many years ago...

I'll put a better input on this thing later-

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You know, everytime a PdP-fangame concept is suggested here with RPG-elements, my memory keeps jogging me about having seen one in Youtube done by some french dude. But that was many years ago...

I'll put a better input on this thing later-
I believe he was German. I still wish he was able to finish it...

The reason behind the playable fairy choices is based on gameplay options; my philosophy on game design is gameplay first and let that influence the aesthetics. I get the elemental choices you made, but I have to ask to what regard did you make that choice? Does it fit a story narrative? Gameplay narrative? Its a nice little detail but without having a reason outside of classification, it just becomes a restricting design decision.
"Gameplay first" is as good a philosophy to have as any. I feel like having the "elemental fairies" playable would provide for some really cool environments to explore, though: Lip causing flowers to bloom into platforms, Windy flying up high and riding wind currents to reach new places, Elias diving deep underwater and gaining the help of the creatures that live there, Flare being able to withstand heat that the other fairies can't and wading through magma. Your ideas sound excellent too, though. Here's to hoping you get a chance to pitch it!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just wanted to post these here.

First:

The fifth epsiode of that Panel de Pon x Smash Bros. series is up!

Also,

A retrospective on Panel de Pon.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
gotcha, I do have to admit having Windy soaring through on wind currents does sound fun.
Picture a rail-shooter style minigame with Windy flying through the air shooting gusts of wind at monsters to blow them out of the sky. Doesn't that sound wild?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It always makes me really happy to see new faces join in Lip support. Morale remains shockingly high despite the presence of an item that completely gutted us last time. Welcome to the crew!

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
It always makes me really happy to see new faces join in Lip support. Morale remains shockingly high despite the presence of an item that completely gutted us last time. Welcome to the crew!
Yeah, that was a bit of a bad time for all us PdP fans. I don't remember who or what brought us back to our senses but thank goodness they did.

Top Bottom