• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That analysis was ok, but he never considered ballot popularity as a possible factor benefiting her chances. Again, it seems like people just focus on the state of the franchise rather than looking into the factor that has been central to every retro inclusion since Brawl.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's true, unfortuantely. Perhaps he should have read yours before making the video?
I think a factor they often use is the vocal fanbase. I guess the recent ones. With you, you went back to check before Ultimate and Smash 4 for her support, and I feel like that's something most of the SG crew does not consider.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Despite their shared body type and similarly-shaped primary weapon, both Lip and Ashley have radically different inspirations to draw prospective movesets from. It would be nonsensical for Lip to fight with typical witchcraft fare, demonic assistants and random microgame objects, or for Ashley to fight with puzzle mechanics. The only way that one could be an Echo of the other is if they were boiled down to "short character with a stick" (essentially Mii Swordfighter costumes), which would be doing an incredible disservice to the potential and legacy of both characters.
Short adorable character with a magic stick but I see what you mean.

I would like to say that both Lip and Ashley don't have a lot of direct playable appearances (you play as Lip but you control a cursor/you play as Ashley only directly in Game And Wario) so they've both got room for interpretation.

Last edited:

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Unfortunately, RTC is giving Lip's appearances too much credit.

Lip has appeared in every single one of these except for the Nintendo 64 title, and she has always been the center character.

Super Nintendo - She's the central character in this one.
Game Boy - This game came out in America first, so it starred Yoshi. Japan's not as reskin-happy as America, so the Yoshi universe was kept intact.
Satellaview - He missed BS Panel de Pon - Event '98, not that most wouldn't. She's back again in this rerelease, though the similar BS Yoshi's Panepon uses Yoshi.
Game Boy Color - Pokemon de Panepon never gave her much of a spotlight, either. Her "cameo" is as a prototype only accessible by secret button combination.
Nintendo 64 - As he said, she didn't appear in Pokémon Puzzle League. Only the West received this title.
Gamecube - The central character was the near-identical Furil. An easy mistake to make, Furil's sticker in Brawl was even translated as "Flower Fairy Lip".
Game Boy Advance - She's been scrubbed clean from Dr. Mario and Panel de Pon, though Furil's animal buddy makes an appearance.
DS - An unlockable skin exclusively in the Japanese version. While she may be the only character, she's hardly central.
DSi - Chotto Panel de Pon is essentially watered-down Panel de Pon DS, so she doesn't fare much better.
3DS - A costume, not a character. Not referred to by name in the English translation, not sure about the original Japanese text.

Overall, Lip's only appeared as the center character of one title, two if you count her Satellaview rerelease.

Last edited:

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
WAIT? LIP AND FURIL ARE NOT THE SAME PERSON?

WHAT?!?!?!??!
The fairies featured in Nintendo Puzzle Collection are the descendants of the fairies from Panel de Pon. Evidently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, considering both games follow very similar storylines with a very similar cast. To Furil's credit, at least the second half of her adventure had some differences from her ancestor's.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Lip where to make it playable, I wouldn't mind seeing Furil as an alt for her, though it might just be a Ninten/Ness case where it wouldn't happen since they look too similar...

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I drew Lip last night for funsies and thought I'd share her with you guys. I recently looked back at my fanart from the days of smash 4 speculation, and my art was so bad. So I thought I'd do her Justice and redraw her now that I've improved a bit ^^;
lip.png

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite intrigued by this increased resurgence on awareness about Lip around this community since Takamaru's deconfirmation - her star power's bound to shine even stronger than ever before from here on out, I can tell~

Also, found this rather enthusiastic Japanese fan with their Youtube-channel having mainly PdP x Paper Mario-content. Here's something made for Lip's inclusion in Ultimate:

Mainly loving that intro sequence, it's quite incredible!

I drew Lip last night for funsies and thought I'd share her with you guys. I recently looked back at my fanart from the days of smash 4 speculation, and my art was so bad. So I thought I'd do her Justice and redraw her now that I've improved a bit ^^;View attachment 148865
That's a ton of improvement since! Loving the entire style you've developed by now. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Quite intrigued by this increased resurgence on awareness about Lip around this community since Takamaru's deconfirmation - her star power's bound to shine even stronger than ever before from here on out, I can tell~

Also, found this rather enthusiastic Japanese fan with their Youtube-channel having mainly PdP x Paper Mario-content. Here's something made for Lip's inclusion in Ultimate:

Mainly loving that intro sequence, it's quite incredible!

That's a ton of improvement since! Loving the entire style you've developed by now. :dr^_^:
That video may have been posted here twice before but I never get tired of watching it.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
IMO Lip is the second most likely retro rep, after Excitebiker. The fact that Lip's Stick was not seen yet makes me curious to the possibility.

Feel free to put me down as a supporter, I feel you guys have been waiting for a while.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
IMO Lip is the second most likely retro rep, after Excitebiker. The fact that Lip's Stick was not seen yet makes me curious to the possibility.

Feel free to put me down as a supporter, I feel you guys have been waiting for a while.
Does Excite Biker even got a support thread?
I don't know much about the character, and I'm sure not feeling Excited by it. I just don't see how a dude on a cross scooter is a viable option, really.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I feel like Excitebiker is doomed to stay an Assist Trophy. Not that Excitebike isn't a classic, but even taking into account later games like Excitebike 64 and Excite Truck, Excitebiker is a very, very basic character, to the point where he doesn't even have an actual name. The only thing we see him do in his games is ride motorcycles or other racing vehicles, with almost no room for interpretation or liberties to be taken. You could try making him an on-foot character, but then you're left with a generic dude in a motocross outfit who doesn't represent his series in any meaningful way aside from maybe the appearance of his bike in a few attacks. At least Captain Falcon still has the superhero theme going on, even if he's a lot more bombastic and over-the-top manly than the character we see in the actual F-Zero games. Meanwhile, even if you don't want to give her a puzzle-game theme (but why wouldn't you), Lip has a ton of moveset potential in the form of flower-based spells and magical powers.

I don't know what a good voice actor for Lip would be. An English voice actor is probably out, keeping with how Marth only spoke Japanese until very recently due to his games originally not being released outside of Japan, but I don't really keep up with Japanese voice actors. Janice Kawaye is bilingual, hence the episode of My Life as a Teenage Robot where Jenny is stuck speaking Japanese the whole time, but I don't know if she'd be the best choice, or even if she works on Japanese dubs. Ikue Ohtani, maybe? She did a great job dubbing Apple Bloom.

Also... yeah, I feel like that RTC video is a bit on the optimistic side. ^^; I like hearing good things about Lip from outside this fandom, though.

I drew Lip last night for funsies and thought I'd share her with you guys. I recently looked back at my fanart from the days of smash 4 speculation, and my art was so bad. So I thought I'd do her Justice and redraw her now that I've improved a bit ^^;
This is so adorable! Nice work! It's great to see Lip fans getting up and drawing artwork again.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
The fairies featured in Nintendo Puzzle Collection are the descendants of the fairies from Panel de Pon. Evidently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, considering both games follow very similar storylines with a very similar cast. To Furil's credit, at least the second half of her adventure had some differences from her ancestor's.
Furil is supposed to be Lip's daughter, although we never actually see grown-up Lip.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't know what a good voice actor for Lip would be. An English voice actor is probably out, keeping with how Marth only spoke Japanese until very recently due to his games originally not being released outside of Japan, but I don't really keep up with Japanese voice actors. Janice Kawaye is bilingual, hence the episode of My Life as a Teenage Robot where Jenny is stuck speaking Japanese the whole time, but I don't know if she'd be the best choice, or even if she works on Japanese dubs. Ikue Ohtani, maybe? She did a great job dubbing Apple Bloom.
You have a point there. As much as I'd like Janice Kawaye to voice Lip, we shouldn't forget about how Marth spoke only Japanese in Smash up until now. At the same time though, Janice CAN speak Japanese VERY fluently, so I don't want to rule that out.

Still though, in terms of JP voice actresses, how about Misato Fukuen? She's the current voice of Sakura Kasugano in Street Fighter, and she voiced Miyuki Hoshizora/Cure Happy in Smile Pretty Cure. I feel her upbeat voice could work for Lip.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'm pleased to announce that Lip's model is finally finished. I'm currently in possession of the files and will get to work on rigging them.

This is a pre-release screenshot, her eyelashes are a bit longer in the final version. All we need to do now is rig her and apply blendshapes to her face and we should be in business. I'll get back to you.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
You know what Lip homestage will be Tetris or maybe from her own game
Her own game. We are in dire need of a Puzzle stage, and one inspired by Panel De Pon would be a dream. Imagine Green Greens x Fountain of Dreams into one.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Her own game. We are in dire need of a Puzzle stage, and one inspired by Panel De Pon would be a dream. Imagine Green Greens x Fountain of Dreams into one.
Well youre right I guess Flower World will be the answer from Panel de pon game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I did create an idea for a Panel de Pon stage earlier, although since I'm me, it's based much, much more closely on the lore and world of the games than the actual gameplay. I don't know if it's what Sora would do, but Sora Ltd. does a lot of things you wouldn't expect. (Like bring back every veteran from the entire series, or put Ridley in the game.)

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I'm pleased to announce that Lip's model is finally finished. I'm currently in possession of the files and will get to work on rigging them.

This is a pre-release screenshot, her eyelashes are a bit longer in the final version. All we need to do now is rig her and apply blendshapes to her face and we should be in business. I'll get back to you.

Really cool. Looking forward to seeing more.

There’s apparently a screenshot of the game showing mario and some other characters with flowers on their heads. Lip’s Stick itself is nowhere to be seen, but the effect doesn’t really inspire a lot of confidence. Not that I was expecting her to get in anyway.

I would love to have some proper acknowledgement though. At least a trophy? Please?

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Really cool. Looking forward to seeing more.

There’s apparently a screenshot of the game showing mario and some other characters with flowers on their heads. Lip’s Stick itself is nowhere to be seen, but the effect doesn’t really inspire a lot of confidence. Not that I was expecting her to get in anyway.

I would love to have some proper acknowledgement though. At least a trophy? Please?
I've heard the pic exist, but i haven't seen it. Plus there are other things that a flower effect can be made from.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I've heard the pic exist, but i haven't seen it. Plus there are other things that a flower effect can be made from.

There are other things that cause flower yeah. It still doesn’t inspire much confidence though.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I want my girls, Ashley and Lip to make the roster. I had supported them since the pre-brawl days, and I hope at least one of these magical girls can make it in.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There are other things that cause flower yeah. It still doesn’t inspire much confidence though.
It could have come from Rest or a new item that causes it (come on Ramblin' Evil Mushroom).

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
It could have come from Rest or a new item that causes it (come on Ramblin' Evil Mushroom).
or a Pokemon. Or whatever that Mushroom thing in Snake's pic on Gaur Plains. Or from Lip herself. I don't really think any of us thought the effect was gonna be removed if Lip gets in.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Seeing how harsh the ratings for Sable are in the RTC thread, I hope Lip fares better. She certainly has a stronger fanbase to back her up.

(Not to disparage Sable’s fanbase, but I think we’re just three guys)

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Being an EarthBound fan that I am, having the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom in the game is funny to me. As for Lip, I legit think her and Ashley together in a trailer would be a great reveal.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Part of me wants to say Ashley should stay an Assist Trophy, but part of me knows that just because she's a young magician girl with a wand doesn't make her any kind of threat to Lip's chances (their designs and personalities aren't remotely similar, for one thing). I know some people would rather have Mona, but Ashley's cool.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Being an EarthBound fan that I am, having the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom in the game is funny to me. As for Lip, I legit think her and Ashley together in a trailer would be a great reveal.
Both of them are characters who played a npc role in Smash before who are missing atm.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Both of them are characters who played a npc role in Smash before who are missing atm.
Well, Ashley, yes. Lip didn't even get that much. Furil got a sticker in Brawl, but Lip has been completely AWOL and is only (so far) alluded to in the Melee trophy for her wand.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ashley and Lip would both be fantastic. I still want Lip over Ashley, but she is the best newcomer for a Wario secondary, which is also overdue by now.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ashley's definitely got the edge, but Lip does have a shot. Her only real remaining competition for a Japan-only character is Prince Sablé, and I doubt he'd get in. Granted, he also has the advantage of having an existing model in Smash and a relatively easy-to-work-with gimmick, so it's possible.

Takasmash

Smash Ace

Oh no dont tell me Lip's item is back man then who will be the new retro rep I really want Lip sense Takamaru is assist trophy. Maybe Mach Rider or Excitebiker I dont know unless give me Rayman then my roster is complete wont care if Steve come to smash or Goku.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Part of me wants to say Ashley should stay an Assist Trophy, but part of me knows that just because she's a young magician girl with a wand doesn't make her any kind of threat to Lip's chances (their designs and personalities aren't remotely similar, for one thing). I know some people would rather have Mona, but Ashley's cool.
I'm one of those people who'd rather have Mona in Smash sooner, honestly.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Ashley (though it's a little bothersome to see her get some much promotion, and yet it doesn't truly help WarioWare all that often).

Top Bottom