• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

D

Deleted member

Really glad Panel De Pon finally got an official Western release through Switch Online.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
MIN MIN IS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER

MIN MIN ALREADY HAS A SPIRIT

THE SPIRITS DECONFIRM THEORY IS DEAD

LIP HAS A CHANCE

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I don't know why in the world people thought spirits deconfirmed. Several of the characters in-game already have spirits.

Spirits are just crappy floating pngs. They barely contribute anything to gameplay and do not stand in the way of characters.

I think characters who are spirits are unlikely to be in the game, but that's not because they're spirits. It's just because there's thousands of them and only 5 remaining character spots, so that just makes it statistically unlikely that the majority of them will be in.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why in the world people thought spirits deconfirmed. Several of the characters in-game already have spirits.

Spirits are just crappy floating pngs. They barely contribute anything to gameplay and do not stand in the way of characters.

I think characters who are spirits are unlikely to be in the game, but that's not because they're spirits. It's just because there's thousands of them and only 5 remaining character spots, so that just makes it statistically unlikely that the majority of them will be in.
Same can also apply to the majority of third parties because well, just like spirits there's a lot of characters.
Especially with the small amount of slots and the fact that some popular ones who ended up getting DLC Mii Costumes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But speaking of Spirits.... Min Min has a different artwork of her Fighter Spirit aside from her SSBU Render, and She can use her old Spirit in herself.... which is just insane and awesome.... If Lip somehow gets promoted to Fighter, her Fighter Spirit Artwork will also look EPIC just like Min Min's new Fighter Spirit....

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
But speaking of Spirits.... Min Min has a different artwork of her Fighter Spirit aside from her SSBU Render, and She can use her old Spirit in herself.... which is just insane and awesome.... If Lip somehow gets promoted to Fighter, her Fighter Spirit Artwork will also look EPIC just like Min Min's new Fighter Spirit....
It'd probably likely be using this artwork of Lip to specify the fighter spirit.
hana4.png

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
AAbhm5AAAojl.jpg

Panel de Pon advertised for NSO. Means nothing big really. I'm just glad Nintendo is acknowledging her existence.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 277134

Panel de Pon advertised for NSO. Means nothing big really. I'm just glad Nintendo is acknowledging her existence.
It wouldn't surprise me if a new game comes up on the Switch soon, though the game of choice likely factored on the Twitter trend. But it does show Nintendo does have an "eye" on the franchise.

Also that's a JP advert, a ton of Japanese people already had a chance to play Pdp on the SFC Mini if they missed out on the game especially with the numerous Virtual Console rereleases there.

---------------------------

On the topic of rereleasing other Panel de Pon games, version redundancy seems to look like it has always been a factor when it comes to re-releasing Nintendo-published puzzle games, and Panel de Pon SFC might be the only version that Nintendo decides to put on the service.

It doesn't matter the drastic differences in the game. For example, Wario's Woods VC rereleases was always the NES version (1-player game) despite the SNES version being a 2-player 1vs1 game. The rest of the examples don't have much differences such as Dr. Mario NES on Wii U/Switch (Never the N64 version. Japan didn't get Pokemon de Panepon (PPC) for the GBC as Yoshi's Panepon (TA) GB was on the JP 3ds VC.

But if those games ever get rereleased it'd probably be when Panel de Pon is an established brand. I've noticed that since the PAL region had started to stop using PAL roms, some games ended up being retitled because they used US roms instead such as Kirby's Fun Pak -> Kirby Superstar, Mario & Yoshi -> Yoshi.

It does show its not exactly impossible for Nintendo to retitle games so I would recommend Franchise-driven-retitling, but no rom edits would be required though. This would only really work if the new game is released under the Panel de Pon name worldwide. Japan has always called every installment Panel de Pon or Panepon in character-based rebrands. (Just look at EarthBound Beginnings (promotional material does have an EBB logo but the icon shows as simply "EarthBound") and import releases such as The Mysterious Murasame Castle or Panel de Pon with unchanged title screens that weren't edited for any reason).
Ex. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge -> Pokemon Panel de Pon or Pokemon de Panepon,
(Planet) Puzzle League (DS) - > Panel de Pon DS.
Tetris Attack -> Yoshi's Panel de Pon or Yoshi's Panepon

Obviously the legal barrier surrounding Tetris Attack has always been an issue and retitling that game would be no question for any rerelease but redundancy is more hinged on that game compared to other games in the series, a rom edit likely never happened back then because they could just rerelease Pokemon Puzzle League and Challenge respectively on the Wii and 3ds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It wouldn't surprise me if a new game comes up on the Switch soon, though the game of choice likely factored on the Twitter trend. But it does show Nintendo does have an "eye" on the franchise.

Also that's a JP advert, a ton of Japanese people already had a chance to play Pdp on the SFC Mini if they missed out on the game especially with the numerous Virtual Console rereleases there.

---------------------------

On the topic of rereleasing other Panel de Pon games, version redundancy seems to look like it has always been a factor when it comes to re-releasing Nintendo-published puzzle games, and Panel de Pon SFC might be the only version that Nintendo decides to put on the service.

It doesn't matter the drastic differences in the game. For example, Wario's Woods VC rereleases was always the NES version (1-player game) despite the SNES version being a 2-player 1vs1 game. The rest of the examples don't have much differences such as Dr. Mario NES on Wii U/Switch (Never the N64 version. Japan didn't get Pokemon de Panepon (PPC) for the GBC as Yoshi's Panepon (TA) GB was on the JP 3ds VC.

But if those games ever get rereleased it'd probably be when Panel de Pon is an established brand. I've noticed that since the PAL region had started to stop using PAL roms, some games ended up being retitled because they used US roms instead such as Kirby's Fun Pak -> Kirby Superstar, Mario & Yoshi -> Yoshi.

It does show its not exactly impossible for Nintendo to retitle games so I would recommend Franchise-driven-retitling, but no rom edits would be required though. This would only really work if the new game is released under the Panel de Pon name worldwide. Japan has always called every installment Panel de Pon or Panepon in character-based rebrands. (Just look at EarthBound Beginnings (promotional material does have an EBB logo but the icon shows as simply "EarthBound") and import releases such as The Mysterious Murasame Castle or Panel de Pon with unchanged title screens that weren't edited for any reason).
Ex. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge -> Pokemon Panel de Pon or Pokemon de Panepon,
(Planet) Puzzle League (DS) - > Panel de Pon DS.
Tetris Attack -> Yoshi's Panel de Pon or Yoshi's Panepon

Obviously the legal barrier surrounding Tetris Attack has always been an issue and retitling that game would be no question for any rerelease but redundancy is more hinged on that game compared to other games in the series, a rom edit likely never happened back then because they could just rerelease Pokemon Puzzle League and Challenge respectively on the Wii and 3ds.
Knowing that the fairies have been exposed overseas, there is no benefit in rebranding Panel de Pon for a Switch title, Nintendo should just present the franchise's true setting and cast in one go, with a much better story. And of course, to get people hyped, Smash Fighter reveal of Lip is a Must for the tie-in.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To celebrate PdP getting its international release, I started a new playthrough of it. It's as addictive as the last time I played it, I'm hooked.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
In light of recent events in the Smash Bros. community, I feel it's necessary to make a statement.

These are scary times, I think that much is obvious. Important pillars of our ingroup are crumbling around us, pedestals breaking left and right. Seemingly every one for the same reason. And with that black mark on Smash's image, combined with Lip's character design... well, it's easy for an outsider to say we "only" want to see her in the game for impure reasons.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

If you're reading this, I want you to know that everyone in this thread, all of Lip's supporters, stand with her because of our unbridled passion for Panel de Pon. We love the action puzzle gameplay, the quick reflexes and sheer spectacle that it brings to the table. We love the setting of the games and the many quirky fairy characters who inhabit it, each an unsung hero of Nintendo's long and storied history. We'd love to see both translated into the Smash universe. And there's no one more fit to represent everything Panel de Pon stands for--gameplay, world, characters, music--than its OG hero, Lip.

I refuse to condone the actions of all those outed as abusers. What they have done is clearly wrong and they shouldn't be forgiven for it. But for as many bad apples as there turned out to be, we won't let them color our reputation. I know I'll support Lip to the end--and I'm sure the others in this thread will say the same.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
These are scary times, I think that much is obvious. Important pillars of our ingroup are crumbling around us, pedestals breaking left and right. Seemingly every one for the same reason. And with that black mark on Smash's image, combined with Lip's character design... well, it's easy for an outsider to say we "only" want to see her in the game for impure reasons.
Wondering who's come to say this yet though... I hope none has gone far to suddenly use these kinda remarks on Lip, or someone young like her.

NGL, this brings back some memories to Sm4sh-times where we ended up discussing about this aspect of her.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Wondering who's come to say this yet though... I hope none has gone far to suddenly use these kinda remarks on Lip, or someone young like her.
Just taking precautions to distance our community from the abusers... I felt like it was my duty as one of the "figureheads" of the Lip for Smash movement. I was concerned as to what people would think about all of us rallying around a young, cute female character where it seems like every other prominent member of the Smash community is being outed as some kind of vile predator. The overwhelming majority of Lip's supporters want to see her in the game for purely wholesome reasons--the last thing I want is for people to lump us in with human trash over something so superficial.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even know it was possible to see Lip in that sort of light. It's like if Mega Man or Ness or Lucas were viewed like that.

But nah. I just like Panel de Pon.

D

Deleted member

I want Lip in Smash because Smash deserves a True Fairy as a fighter. Sorry Jigglypuff, but Fairy-Typed Pokémon is not enough. In fact.... it would be a blessing if we get a fighter wearing cute frilly dresses, hairbows and stuff. Again, i just like Panel de Pon, Lip's cute appearance, and the fun and joy she'll bring to the battlefield. I also want to see her meet Inkling in an Official manner so that i can make fun memes about Styoish Squid Kids and the Flowery Fairy Princess. Also, fighting as Lip against her support Spirit will be a HILARIOUS Sight like Min Min.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
So recently I found people talking about a glitch regarding daisy with her dress.
The 2nd one is a spear glitch regarding ridley, it does more damage than usual.
Previously there were glitches for Mii Swordfighter and Duckhunt in an update, possibly Hero & Banjo-Kazooie were based off those two respectively.

So in this pass, I wouldn't be surprised if a character had something that was from Daisy or Ridley that was reused.

Some say it can be YoRHa 2B due to the length of the character's dress or any character wearing one (Possibly even a skirt).
For Ridley there's possibly some DLC fighter who may wield a spear in their arsenal.

Though I can see this as simply a bug to fix all together as a some update-specific glitches didn't lead anywhere.
Since I don't post here often, I'd think it be interesting for people to know in this thread.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
While I don't think it means anything, really, it would be very cute--and appropriate--for Lip to be based off of Daisy. (In fact, that skirt length just about matches...)

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
We got a big poll circulating. Apparently this is one of the most voted polls in recent times.

https://forms.gle/6vZY1Rs7tUcUudsD7

I know there aren't a lot of us but putting her on the map could would be beneficial for our support for her. Let's see where this goes.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Not quite sure if I managed to export it with a transparent background. If you need me to fix anything I can try again later.

..looking at it again, this render looks super 1996. Gonna try again with a more toon like shader next time.

wow i thought a good 3D Lip render doesnt exsist this one looks amazing
i was wondering since Lip mii costume model can be downloaded now has anyone thought of trying it out on any possible 3D model of Lip and combine it with the Lip mii costume https://www.models-resource.com/nintendo_switch/supersmashbrosultimate/model/31687/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of the model... They can just REUSE the Mii Costume model, only modify it such as giving it fairy wings pointy ears, a chibi Anime girl face, insane extra detailing, and call it a day.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
For 3D Lip renders, one small thing I reccomend is barely giving her a neck. Now, I know that sounds really goofy but toony characters in Smash are designed to be very babyish. The only toony human character with a clearly visible neck is Toon Link and his proportions are a little different from Ness and Mega Man.

One thing I've noticed about Lip is she has a lot of physical similarities to my main; Mega Man. They even have similar official poses. So just a tip; if you plan on modeling Lip in 3D, I highly recommend using Mega Man as a base example.

Another recommendation is barely giving her a nose as well. It's the really small things you barely notice about a character that makes them really look like a Smash character.

For some context...

Attachments

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I did my part. It sucks to see Tetris kicking so much butt. Who would rather have faceless, personality-less blocks over an actual character? Have a little faith in the fairies for once, guys.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
It's crazy that if Lip had a new game come out this year where she was the star, she would undoubtedly be winning that poll right now.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's crazy that if Lip had a new game come out this year where she was the star, she would undoubtedly be winning that poll right now.
This is infuriatingly true. At least Terry proves that lack of relevancy should never be a reason to exclude a character.

D

Deleted member

I did my part. It sucks to see Tetris kicking so much butt. Who would rather have faceless, personality-less blocks over an actual character? Have a little faith in the fairies for once, guys.

In all seriousness... i REALLY NEED a Proper Panel de Pon Switch game. The NSO update is NOT good enough! Also.... Shouldn't we also share our support for Lip's rival Arle too? I want a Puyo Rep in Smash these days too! I' sure Nintendo and Sakurai will ADD Arle and Lip.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
In all seriousness... i REALLY NEED a Proper Panel de Pon Switch game. The NSO update is NOT good enough! Also.... Shouldn't we also share our support for Lip's rival Arle too? I want a Puyo Rep in Smash these days too! I' sure Nintendo and Sakurai will ADD Arle and Lip.
For me the NSO update is more than good enough, because it destroys the last major barrier to Lip being in Smash--her game not being released outside of Japan.

And I'd be almost as happy for Arle as I would be for Lip, but at the end of the day this isn't a topic about Arle.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But, at least those in the West can now actually play Panel de Pon through official means.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Thanks, but the credit's not all mine, it goes to the people who helped pay for it as well as Tuncer Eren (the modeller) and Ian Ferrari (the guy who rigged it).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks, but the credit's not all mine, it goes to the people who helped pay for it as well as Tuncer Eren (the modeller) and Ian Ferrari (the guy who rigged it).
By the way, what program did they use to create the model? And what if there are models for Lip's other friends?

Top Bottom