• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

D

Deleted member

Yeah you really don't need to be that melodramatic. lol
Why would it have to involve Lip dying? The canonicity of Smash is questionable at best.
Oh yeah, i forgot, If Lip was in Smash as a Fighter, her wand (Since she is unaffected by Thanatos' spell) allows her to LITERALLY defy Galeem and Dharkon's beams.... i hope....

By the way:

If Lip is to be in Mario Kart, what kind of Kart suits best for our fairy girl?

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I barely know anything about SMG4 except for the fact that Meggy stopped being an Inkling at one point and started being a weird-looking anime human who kinda maybe sorta looks like an Inkling if you squint. Which sucks. Squibs are better than people. Fact.

I gave Lip a bicycle design of her own back when I was getting unrealistically hopeful about her chances to turn up as MK8 DLC. (Not much has changed, heheh.) I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
In light of the (recent? upcoming?) launch of Dr. Mario World, here's this. I think this is a doctor everyone could appreciate.
Awesome! I had this exact same idea but I don't draw... but I am so glad that someone else did it!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In light of the (recent? upcoming?) launch of Dr. Mario World, here's this. I think this is a doctor everyone could appreciate.
Wow, this is great! Now I'm wishing it could be real...

D

Deleted member

Here is one of my works depicting Lip as a Fighter, and then the Clone variant of her, if she was the one Announced at the November 2018 Direct instead of the Piranha Plant....

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys... on the topic of Dr. Mario, there is a feedback section that you can use to send any kind of suggestion to Nintendo. So we can all download it and suggest Nintendo to give Lip a chance! (I know I already did!)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hey guys... on the topic of Dr. Mario, there is a feedback section that you can use to send any kind of suggestion to Nintendo. So we can all download it and suggest Nintendo to give Lip a chance! (I know I already did!)
I love this idea!

D

Deleted member

Where can i find this Dr. Mario World Feedback Request thingy i recently heard?

An image of Lip, Pink custom Inkling Girl, and Custom Villager Girl (Animal Crossing Movie's adorable villager girl, Ai) all together, sharing one victory like good friends do, in Super Smash Bros. Currently, you can re-enact this with Mii Swordsman with a Lip outfit, and the Second Villager skin, also with the 5th Inkling Girl skin. I really wish Sakurai announces the Next Fighter Pass that only allows pre-existing spirits that are NOT Assist trophies.

Basically, a Mock-Up of Lip's Final Results if you play Classic Mode in Super Smash Bros. But i think it's best to replace the spirit once Lip is playable. It's easy, just find another PNG file, maybe the artwork of Watabou, FuriFuri, or Pupuri if needed. Oh, and Bonus: If Lip is a fighter, You get her Fighter Spirit if Classic Mode is beaten.

Should Furil be Lip's alternate skin or Echo Fighter?

This meme.
Everyone, do you think we are demanding Lip too much? Despite her spirit and Mii costume's debut and NOT herself, I can't hold my patience for too long to portray her getting Revenge on Yoshi and Pikachu. And why do you believe it's a bad thing if Arle from Puyo Puyo makes it in first?

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Everyone, do you think we are demanding Lip too much? Despite her spirit and Mii costume's debut and NOT herself, I can't hold my patience for too long to portray her getting Revenge on Yoshi and Pikachu. And why do you believe it's a bad thing if Arle from Puyo Puyo makes it in first?
The demand for Lip is miniscule compared to your typical Soras and Waluigis. It should be fine. I had also not known about PdP until playing Melee; I was introduced to it from Tetris Attack in 1999 before I knew anything about Lip. So I'd imagine the Yoshi Gang did somewhat take over what Lip could have done here in the west.
Same thing with Puyo-Puyo; I didn't know about it prior to Smash, but I did play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine in the SADX Mini-Game Unlockables around 2005, and it looked like another Western-alternative thing for Puyo.
I'm far more fond of Lip, but wouldn't mind either her or Arle.

I guess Japan doesn't have faith in their JP Puzzle Games' performance overseas without changing things to appeal to the west.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Smash Ultimate really is the last game like what people assume it would be, does that mean Lip will never be a Smash Fighter? (I'm worried about her still.) If it really is, then i hope for a DLC Fighter promotion for her. Having a Puzzle game character with the gameplay mechanic as the gimmick would make Smash Bros feel Ultimate. Lip's Moveset potential is just good enough to make her a fighter.

The side special where she can swap 2 different things/people to a different location, the down special being a Rain of Garbage blocks, her final smash where you literally play her game for a limited time, and her physical appearance are all the aspects that the other fighters are lacking (Sorry, but the Mii costume can't fool me). The last time people legitimately saw her as an individual was in Captain Rainbow, and Nintendo hasn't confirmed Panel de Pon switch yet.

If Lip gets in smash bros, i assume the internet will be blown up even more than how Banjo Kazooie destroyed the Internet last month. Anyway, i hope Smash Ultimate is just your everyday Smash Bros game with nothing special but a big amount of characters from past games. Does anyone here dare to mod Lip to Smash Ultimate?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If Smash Ultimate really is the last game like what people assume it would be, does that mean Lip will never be a Smash Fighter? (I'm worried about her still.) If it really is, then i hope for a DLC Fighter promotion for her. Having a Puzzle game character with the gameplay mechanic as the gimmick would make Smash Bros feel Ultimate. Lip's Moveset potential is just good enough to make her a fighter.

The side special where she can swap 2 different things/people to a different location, the down special being a Rain of Garbage blocks, her final smash where you literally play her game for a limited time, and her physical appearance are all the aspects that the other fighters are lacking (Sorry, but the Mii costume can't fool me). The last time people legitimately saw her as an individual was in Captain Rainbow, and Nintendo hasn't confirmed Panel de Pon switch yet.

If Lip gets in smash bros, i assume the internet will be blown up even more than how Banjo Kazooie destroyed the Internet last month. Anyway, i hope Smash Ultimate is just your everyday Smash Bros game with nothing special but a big amount of characters from past games. Does anyone here dare to mod Lip to Smash Ultimate?
They really should just continue making DLC beyond the Fighter’s Pass or just do a straight port of the whole thing rather than making a new game.

D

Deleted member

They really should just continue making DLC beyond the Fighter’s Pass or just do a straight port of the whole thing rather than making a new game.
I hope Nintendo choose to do one of those decisions. Lip being turned into a DLC fighter is worth my money anyway. I'd main her if she is a fighter. If she was a fighter, then the Spirit battle involving her should be upgraded to a Fighter Battle or eliminated or have the spirit replaced by another character..... i still support Lip for a Smash Bros game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the bright side, there was a WOL datamine that was done a while ago, that showed 16 slots, with the FP people and PP presumably filling six of those slots.

On the dark side, most people don't believe those extra 10 slots will even be used and write them off as "unused stuff is found in game code all the time", even though there would be no reason for the staff to stop besides Sakurai taking an extended vacation.

While I doubt that the "internationally-distributed series only!" rule will be broken yet, that shouldn't be any reason to stop supporting Lip. Mii Costume and spirit acknowledgement are the first step, so it's important to keep the Lip/Panel De Pon campaign going as long as possible, either until Sakurai definitely says "It's impossible for Japan-only series to get in Smash, please understand.", or until Lip finally gets approved. As long as Smash keeps going, the window of opportunity will eventually open up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the bright side, there was a WOL datamine that was done a while ago, that showed 16 slots, with the FP people and PP presumably filling six of those slots.

On the dark side, most people don't believe those extra 10 slots will even be used and write them off as "unused stuff is found in game code all the time", even though there would be no reason for the staff to stop besides Sakurai taking an extended vacation.

While I doubt that the "internationally-distributed series only!" rule will be broken yet, that shouldn't be any reason to stop supporting Lip. Mii Costume and spirit acknowledgement are the first step, so it's important to keep the Lip/Panel De Pon campaign going as long as possible, either until Sakurai definitely says "It's impossible for Japan-only series to get in Smash, please understand.", or until Lip finally gets approved. As long as Smash keeps going, the window of opportunity will eventually open up.
Well, i guess you're right. I guess i'll give the costume for the Mii swordsman the chance. All i can hope for now is to wait for the announcement that Lip finally blossoms into the fray. I might have some fanarts to post here too. I might make a moveset out of Lip on my own.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I might make a moveset out of Lip on my own.
I'd like this. It always makes me happy to see more Lip movesets happen.

I seriously doubt that Smash Ultimate will be the final Smash Bros. game. The series is one of Nintendo's biggest money makers. Even if Sakurai steps down, they could always get somebody else to do it (maybe someone who doesn't have such a hang-up on making sure any and all newcomers are internationally recognized characters who can be counted on to push amiibo sales, because that's a rule that's only hurting the series and Nintendo's greater library.)

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
You guys heard about the DLC Ponytail thing right? Well what if that was Lip? She has a Ponytail & I know on the Twitter post they said the Character has a Ponytail & I flying move? Look back at Panel De Pon intro & Bam! Lip is using these little puffball creatures to fly! Just imagine if she got in!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You guys heard about the DLC Ponytail thing right? Well what if that was Lip? She has a Ponytail & I know on the Twitter post they said the Character has a Ponytail & I flying move? Look back at Panel De Pon intro & Bam! Lip is using these little puffball creatures to fly! Just imagine if she got in!
Source please?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That guy came out and said he was joking or just messing around.

Source please?
It was a Twitter post by a Japanese person that said we would be getting a ponytail female fighting game character in the Season Pass and he said he didn't know who it is. The guy came out and debunked it himself. Sorry, if I have no source it's old news.

Last edited:

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
Source please?
Let me find it

Source please?
Awwwe never mind, I rewatched 2 of blocked content videos & he stated the person on Twitter said it looked like a fighting game character & the other video I watched from his stated it could be Kasumi from Dead or Alive. But we'll just wait & see...

That guy came out and said he was joking or just messing around.

It was a Twitter post by a Japanese person that said we would be getting a ponytail female fighting game character in the Season Pass and he said he didn't know who it is. The guy came out and debunked it himself. Sorry, if I have no source it's old news.
Oh thank you! I didn't know they had debunked it already?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There is a rumor related to the colors of each DLC newcomer. Each one has a color assigned on the website: Piranha Plant is green, Joker is red (as per the main color scheme of P5), Hero is purple, and Banjo is yellow. The last two colors are blue and orange.

Now, orange probably isn't Lippy... but it would be appropriate, given the color of her outfit.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
People are saying it's a certain marsupial, but we'll have to wait. I sadly doubt it's Lip, regardless.

D

Deleted member

Okay, we are getting off topic but it's still fun to speculate. The Orange character could be Crash Bandicoot, a character i don't seem to mind getting into Smash Bros, and the Blue character if NOT Kasumi from Dead or Alive, could be Arle from Puyo Puyo, another character i'd like to see in Smash Bros. Maybe Lip wasn't meant for the current DLC pass. Lip could probably be meant for either these choices:

a. Nintendo uses her spirit and Mii costume on the November 2018 direct to encourage fans to have a desire for a New Panel de Pon game, and to make up for her absence in the past 4 Smash bros. games, waiting for the fandom to openly support her proper character debut when a New Super Smash Bros. game is to be in development.

b. Nintendo maybe trying to re-enter the puzzle game franchise somewhere in the future, now that they have seen Puyo Puyo and Tetris reaching the gaming community BIG time, but Nintendo decides to NOT announce Panel de Pon. As stated, Nintendo is full of surprises, and Panel de Pon making its switch debut would be it. The latest installment was Planet Puzzle League on the DS, and spoiler alert, i would be surprised if Nintendo announces Panel de Pon for Switch.

c. Nintendo might make a DLC pass that is strictly about promoting a character from a Spirit into a Fighter, and one of them maybe Lip. (Before you start arguing, hear me out. I think i found a solution to the spirit problem. They can add a Legacy spirit. a Legacy spirit is a spirit out of a Fighter character (that has no other different iterations) that was formerly NOT Playable in the early versions, yet can still be used. Look at Lip's current spirit, the belt's color mismatches that of the Mii costume. If the Legacy spirit route is confirmed, Lip can have 2 spirits out of herself that distinguishes which one is the old spirit and which one is the new Fighter spirit.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/c/cd/Lip.png

The link above is how her current spirit looks like, short legs, pink belt, and she smiles, if she is promoted to a fighter, this image is her legacy spirit. But her fighter spirit however.....

This can be the Fighter spirit. The belt's color matches the one on the Mii costume, and Lip looks fierce, which should match the experience of Super Smash Bros. One can tell that if Lip's fighter spirit is this image, she definitely is suitable for combat, and this image could represent Lip's desire for a fight.

This is just a fun theory i want to talk about, and it's not even a leak or some rumors about her because the Internet barely knows about her despite her debut in Smash Ultimate, but again, i still support her inclusion in Smash Bros. And again, since i was into Puyo Puyo back in my first childhood of the 2000s and nostalgia in the 2010s, i would accept Arle and/or Amitie's inclusion in Smash bros first because: Chronologically, Arle's Puyo Puyo debut is in 1991, while Lip's debut in the genre and Panel de Pon as a whole was in 1995.

If a Puyo Puyo character makes it into Smash Bros (Please be Arle or Amitie (my favourite Puyo character of all time)), Nintendo will finally realize that Panel de Pon CAN definitely rival SEGA's Puyo Puyo and Russia's Tetris, and NOT only that, Arle or Amitie's inclusion will definitely have Nintendo finally approve Lip's fighter debut as the correct excuse for her to be in Smash.

Even if i would feel negative over her spirit in Ultimate, Lip's fighter inclusion DOESN'T HAVE TO BE in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There are other ways for Lip to finally gain fame while being represented by her inclusion as a true character of her own. A new Panel de Pon game that stars the Fairies ans Popples in all versions, Lip joining Mario Kart, a Super Mario maker 2 costume, Lip's sudden inclusion in Dr. Mario World, or a STRAIGHT UP DLC character in a 2D Mario platformer game and have the Boss battles be Panel de Pon's core gameplay itself rather than the usual Hit boss 3 times, or better: Lip gets referenced in Splatoon! (Her outfit can be one of the gears, her wand can be converted to a shooter, a Panel de Pon minigame in Inkopolis Arcade spots, and Lip's hairbow exclusively for the Inkling Girl headgear!)

And regardless, i still support Panel de Pon to return, and Lip's Fighter debut in ANY Super Smash Bros game to this day!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
There is a rumor related to the colors of each DLC newcomer. Each one has a color assigned on the website: Piranha Plant is green, Joker is red (as per the main color scheme of P5), Hero is purple, and Banjo is yellow. The last two colors are blue and orange.

Now, orange probably isn't Lippy... but it would be appropriate, given the color of her outfit.
Doesn't even make sense. Joker's primary color is black, not red. Banjo's got three primary colors on his design if you don't count Kazooie. Same goes for Piranha Plant. This is way too much of a straw grasp to be real.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Doesn't even make sense. Joker's primary color is black, not red. Banjo's got three primary colors on his design if you don't count Kazooie. Same goes for Piranha Plant. This is way too much of a straw grasp to be real.
Persona 5 has red as its main color though, so that's definitely a color strongly associated with Joker.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

If that theory is true, I'm willing to bet blue is Geno as he is one of the most requested characters not in yet. I have no idea who orange could be. Maybe Crash Bandicoot?

D

Deleted member

If that theory is true, I'm willing to bet blue is Geno as he is one of the most requested characters not in yet. I have no idea who orange could be. Maybe Crash Bandicoot?
I respect that, but Geno would be too obvious because Smash Bros is about giving people unexpected surprises. So if this theory is confirmed, blue has to go to Arle from Puyo Puyo. Remember, Smash Bros doesn't have a genuine puzzle game character that utilizes the puzzle game genre in the fray yet. (It would be cool if Dr. Mario's final smash is getting you to play his game for a brief amount of time)

Arle is one of those unexpected fighters, just like the Piranha Plant. It's all about uncertainty. If Geno is like announced, the anticipation will be gone for good because fans are expecting for characters that are too obvious to fight. Arle is a Puzzle game character yet has no hand-to-hand combat experience, and the majority of Smash Bros fans aren't expecting her. And i am now in the support of Arle being in Smash bros.

So for me, i think it's best if Arle is announced as one of the 2 last DLC fighters first before Lip gets her time. Remember, Arle is known first, and Puyo Puyo is getting more fame thanks to its E-sports version. If Arle (And Amitie as a Bonus Echo Fighter) is announced in Smash Bros, Nintendo will realize how they messed up with Panel de Pon and will make it up for us by adding Lip as a Free-Update DLC fighter, and if the spirit argument doesn't work, the current spirit can just be replaced into a Fighter spirit and in World of Light, they can just turn the Lip spirit battle to a Fighter Battle, and either way, i still support Lip for any Smash Bros game whenever one is announced. So yeah, Crash Bandicoot and Arle for Smash Bros Fighter Pass 1 first.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm definitely a Lip supporter to the end, but I really wouldn't mind Arle either, especially if she has Amitie and Ringo alts. She's a cutie.

Honestly at this point I just want a puzzle game rep who isn't a clone of Mario. I want it to be Lip, but Arle will do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm definitely a Lip supporter to the end, but I really wouldn't mind Arle either, especially if she has Amitie and Ringo alts. She's a cutie.

Honestly at this point I just want a puzzle game rep who isn't a clone of Mario. I want it to be Lip, but Arle will do.
Well, if the Mewtwo and Lucas SSB4 event is going to happen again, i hope it's her too. Sakurai hasn't stated whether Spirits deconfirm characters or not. Spirits are just glorified stickers or "cheap copy" of trophies, only given a function... Let's all hope Spirits actually doesn't deconfirm a character and Lip gets promoted.

If Lip is promoted to a fighter, which character should replace her spirit, or should the spirit battle be replaced into a fighter battle, or eliminated completely?

D

Deleted member

I think it would be the same.
Well that means if Lip becomes DLC, Her old spirit should be repurposed as a Legacy Spirit. ( Legacy Spirits are spirits of characters that in the previous versions of the game, are formerly unplayable)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
They would probably leave the existing Lip spirit alone, no alterations whatsoever, like what happened with Mewtwo and Lucas in SSB4. It would lead to the amusing scenario of Lip being able to equip her own spirit, but multiple other characters can do that anyway. At most they'd rename it to something like "Lip (Alt.)"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They would probably leave the existing Lip spirit alone, no alterations whatsoever, like what happened with Mewtwo and Lucas in SSB4. It would lead to the amusing scenario of Lip being able to equip her own spirit, but multiple other characters can do that anyway. At most they'd rename it to something like "Lip (Alt.)"
Wait.... if Lip is announced as one of this hypothetically theorized 2nd wave DLC, then in world of light, playing as Lip while battling against her old spirit would be a hilarious twist where the Mii costume is actually the Puppet of Lip! And it would be hilarious if someone made a video of comparing Lip and the Mii Swordsman cosplaying as her....

And who knows, if Lip is set to be a DLC fighter (for a new DLC pass that only allows Nintendo First party spirit characters) people will make memes out of Lip and comics about her all of a sudden and then there will be YouTube videos about our fairy girl character such as: "Lip is OP", "Lip Mains be Like", "Lip is Broken", "SSBU playing as Lip but funny stuff happens", "SSBU Lip montage", and many more, and regardless of the fate she gets on the internet, I still support her! Lip4Smu5h All the way still!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I see Lip being small, fast, and good with combos, while having a rather high pitched voice. The sequel to SSB4 Diddy Kong. Half the player base would love her for being a great character and doing really well in tournaments while the other half wouldn't, for the same reasons. I think it's safe to say everyone in this thread would fall into one of those camps.

D

Deleted member

I see Lip being small, fast, and good with combos, while having a rather high pitched voice. The sequel to SSB4 Diddy Kong. Half the player base would love her for being a great character and doing really well in tournaments while the other half wouldn't, for the same reasons. I think it's safe to say everyone in this thread would fall into one of those camps.
But guys, Are you sure about that? Because i can also see that the toxic portion of the community would then go: "WHAT THE?! ANOTHER ANIME SWORDSMAN?!" and then some would say: "WHY PUT HER INSTEAD OF SORA OR SANS OR SCORPION OR DOOMGUY OR STEVE OR HEAVY?!" or "NOOOO SHE IS NOT POPULAR!!!" or something else like these examples.

Remember, Lip can possibly be programmed to use her wand as a sword, which i believe has to do with her neutrals, tilts, and smash attacks (i'm referring to a hypothetical moveset that the developers decide instead of following our requests). But i also like to see how her neutral special is how she charges her wand and at 100% power, the effect might summon panels coming out of the wand as if it's a ranged one too. Her side specials where she can literally swap two things' locations is also neatly good. Also, her final smash needs a finishing montage.

And if Lip truly is going to be promoted, we will have 2 spirits out of her: the old support spirit that grants you her wand, and a new fighter spirit that you get by beating classic mode; a new remix of her theme (i bet it's like a Eurobeat version or an Epic Orchestrated one), and an official Panel de Pon stage. I can also see that some of her comrades will be on their way to become either additional fighters or spirits (i mean i'd also like to see Windy, Sherbet, Thiana, and Flare coming along to the fray as their own unique characters, i even gave them weapons... Windy has a lance and Flare has a crossbow while Sherbet goes hand-to-hand combat and Thiana being a Sword user) Maybe we also need a Primary spirit from the series like Watabou if a Spirit battle is going to use Lip as the opponent.

Oh and i can see how there will be comics about Lip meeting the Inklings, Isabelle, a Piranha Plant, Joker, Dragon Quest Heroes, and Banjo Kazooie. Once Lip is announced, i will decide another character i want for Smash, a Japanese game character from an M rated Hack'n Slash Beat'em up series where the characters are Sexy female ninjas. And also, if Lip was announced before arle, people will start clamoring for a Puyo Puyo character.

Also, Lip (Character) using her old spirit would be a hilarious sight.....

Top Bottom