• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
So I came away from this direct with a lot of mixed feelings, but I have plenty of positive ones regarding Lip. Sure, she's not playable... but she got a surprising amount of attention through her spirit and Mii Costume. If I were to put a tin-foil hat on for a second, I'd say it's suspicious just how much focus her spirit got over others.

I'd say neither the spirit or Mii Costume is a hard de-confirm for her chances as DLC; the latter isa boost for a future playable chance if anything. The spirit is only a 2D model so doesn't conflict with any preexisting assets and they've shown that both Inkling Mii's and Inklings can co-exist without fear of muddling them up. She's not an Assist Trophy, which I feel would more likely de-confirm her than her other aspects, whilst having a lot of inclusion in just about everything else. So I'am actually feeling very confident about her chances right about now... plus there's no retro character as base roster; potentially moving that spot to dlc due to time and such.

I was also just checking out SomecallmeJohnny's reaction to this direct and there were a lot of folks in the chat who knew and were excited about Lip's spirit and costume. That made me very happy!

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
You know, maybe...just maybe...the cameos and costumes of Lippy we've seen over the past few years aren't just there for fanservice reasons. Especially since they're in high-profile games like Animal Crossing and Smash Bros., and were pointedly not removed from the international releases. It's almost like they're trying to familiarize Western players with her.

Call me a nut, but I'm wondering if Intelligent Systems has a surprise in store after Three Houses.
Wouldn’t doubt it.
They know that people are going to want it after the Lip outfit.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
So I came away from this direct with a lot of mixed feelings, but I have plenty of positive ones regarding Lip. Sure, she's not playable... but she got a surprising amount of attention through her spirit and Mii Costume. If I were to put a tin-foil hat on for a second, I'd say it's suspicious just how much focus her spirit got over others.

I'd say neither the spirit or Mii Costume is a hard de-confirm for her chances as DLC; the latter isa boost for a future playable chance if anything. The spirit is only a 2D model so doesn't conflict with any preexisting assets and they've shown that both Inkling Mii's and Inklings can co-exist without fear of muddling them up. She's not an Assist Trophy, which I feel would more likely de-confirm her than her other aspects, whilst having a lot of inclusion in just about everything else. So I'am actually feeling very confident about her chances right about now... plus there's no retro character as base roster; potentially moving that spot to dlc due to time and such.

I was also just checking out SomecallmeJohnny's reaction to this direct and there were a lot of folks in the chat who knew and were excited about Lip's spirit and costume. That made me very happy!
Chibi-Robo also got attention as a Mii Outfit. Since its 5 new characters with stages and especially music, it's probably more likely for DLC characters to be a series not yet represented. I'm not saying they can't be anything for existing franchises because that's possible too.
The smaller wand on the Mii Swordfighter outfit means they already know what they can do with her to differentiate it from the item.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Chibi-Robo also got attention as a Mii Outfit
He was also the first Spirit shown, albeit, not showcasing their match in what I assume is World of Light (although it could have just been a Spirit Battle as well). I'd be totally down for Chibi-Robo getting in; Nintendo character with multiple games who could frankly do with some love.

Lip's my number one most wanted, but of course there are plenty of other characters I'd like to see (Yuri and Vince for instance, though given I felt their chances of any inclusion were very low, I am pleased to see them included at least as nifty looking Assist Trophies). Like I said, it's a bit of a tin-foil hat kind of thinking, but it's one that I'd like to believe.

I kind of feel I should say a bit more in this comment to make it more relevant to this Panel De Pon thread... on the bright side of her potentially being DLC rather than as a base roster character which she's missed out on, at least we don't have to see her included in the outright massacre of the World of Light opening.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
But if they update the opening sequence to include DLC characters...! Nah, they wouldn't do that.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
But if they update the opening sequence to include DLC characters...! Nah, they wouldn't do that.
I don't think they'll add DLC characters to the story, like how some characters didn't appear in Brawl's Subspace. Unless if plans were already made on what they'll do in the story

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't think they'll add DLC characters to the story, like how some characters didn't appear in Brawl's Subspace. Unless if plans were already made on what they'll do in the story
Didn't Sakurai say that if he ever made another story mode, he wouldn't have CG cutscenes? It's likely that the start and ending videos for World of Light are all we're getting.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Dann I was gonna post last night but Smash board's traffic was overloaded so I just slept (admitingly I couldn't sleep much). Here are my thoughts.
I admit my heart almost sank when I saw Lip as a spirit. But then I quickly became happy. Why? This is the most recognition Lip has gotten in Smash since...ever. She's properly named this time! Plus she gets her own spirit event thingie, a Mii costume, AND was the center of a highlight in the direct which the whole world was watching. That at least tells me Sakurai knows Lip has an audience. This can be seen as a small victory, we just have to push for our girl even harder to get her noticed!
I personally don't think a spirit means you are deconfirmed. Remember Mewtwo had a trophy for Smash 4 before he got in as DLC? I mean it's not the same comparison, but Sakurai probably won't care. He also said he hasn't worked on the DLC yet. Whether this means the character choices aren't planned or not, I don't know. But that's even more reason to campaign for her harder than ever. I'll personally do my best on Twitter/Facebook/whatever to get our voice reached to Nintendo and make them realize we are happy, but we also want more Panel de Pon. Lip being playable AND getting a new Panel de Pon game... That'd be a dream come true.
Didn't Sakurai say that if he ever made another story mode, he wouldn't have CG cutscenes? It's likely that the start and ending videos for World of Light are all we're getting.
He always changes his mind.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
SO there is actually some MAJOR differences between the English direct and the Japanese one! Lip has a VOICE in the Japanese direct and does different moves!

Start at 11:45 to hear her voice when she attacks!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, I was SO hyped to Lip in such fashions. It might not be a full 3D model, but this might be better, as she's NOT totally de-confirmed (hopefully). Like you all have said, NoA even got the gosh-darn name and character CORRECTLY matched this time around!

What's more, it's really been intriguing to me how Lip (possibly alongside her fairy friends and her mom) technically ARE playing a relatively important role in the Adventure mode, despite essentially being glorified stickers. I mean, she (and possibly her fairy friends and mom) ends up getting killed off (alongside the ENTIRE Nintendo multiverse, I might add) by Galeem (Smash Ultimate's main antagonist), being possessed by Galeem to assist it in overtaking said multiverse, powering up the playable cast after getting rescued, etc.

I don't know, I guess I just like how Sakurai somehow managed to make just about EVERY NPC in Ultimate (Lip and her cast included) be meaningful in some way, even if they're not playable.

SO there is actually some MAJOR differences between the English direct and the Japanese one! Lip has a VOICE in the Japanese direct and does different moves!

Start at 11:45 to hear her voice when she attacks!
Voice?? What are you-- wait, you... you do know that you're probably talking about the Mii Fighter wearing her costume... right?

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Voice?? What are you-- wait, you... you do know that you're probably talking about the Mii Fighter wearing her costume... right?
OH yeah... That's prolly what it is. A mii voice with the pitch raised up high... I thought she got a custom voice with the costume or something.
But either way it's still interesting you can have this voice with a Mii if you want, I wonder why they kept Lip silent in the English direct?

If it's that way, I know I wouldn't use this voice for Ashley, she has a more melancholy tone. The voice they use here fits Lip pretty well though. I just wish I could hear her yell: Ikuzou!

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I’ll just post this here for everyone:
Man the timing for the release...
I hope he's not heartbroken and will continue to support Lip.
As of now he's the biggest and most famous Lip supporter on the web (which isn't saying much considering that she's still niche) but his work strangely gives me hope.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lip pretty much did the best she could hope for. Being a Mii costume puts her in a good position going forward, especially if another Panel de Pon gets another game with the fairy cast in the coming years.

Look at Ultimate's newcomers:
1. Inkling: Mii costume in Smash 4
2. Ridley: Stage hazard boss in Smash 4
3. Simon: No appearance
4. K. Rool: Mii costume in Smash 4
5. Isabelle: Assist Trophy and Mii costume in Smash 4
6. Incineroar: No appearance
7. Daisy: Mii costume (just the hair & crown though) in Smash 4
8. Richter: No appearance
9. Chrom: Final Smash character and Mii Costume in Smash 4
10. Dark Samus: Assist Trophy in Smash 4
11. Ken: Trophy in Smash 4 (I believe the only Street Fighter character to receive a trophy aside from Ryu)

Basically half of the newcomers were Mii Costumes (five). Being a Mii Costume is a big step forward. If Lip is going to "graduate" though she absolutely needs more exposure (which the Mii costume gives her) and a brand new Panel de Pon game which stars her & her fairy friends.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As of now he's the biggest and most famous Lip supporter on the web (which isn't saying much considering that she's still niche) but his work strangely gives me hope.
Well, again, nothing of what we've seen in-game so far explicitly deconfirms Lip.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
The fact that his video which had the very last smash 4 fighters in it, and it was uploaded on the same day as this direct actually gives me some faith in DLC. Please Lippy!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Japanese fans are very happy to see Lip's costume. Hopefully they (and we) will be even more pleased by the DLC.

The text says: "A costume joins the battle!" "Thank you!"

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Lip raised the Pirahna Plant with love. In the end, the Plant crashed the party to avenge its fairy mama. So Lip had the last laugh.

Not gonna lie, the Plant looks fun, but I kinda feel that Smash jumped the shark now that generic enemies are on the table as playable characters. I think we're past scraping the bottom of the barrel and are digging in the dirt underneath it. Truthfully, this direct has actually put me off buying a Switch for the game, as I don't find any of its content appealing. The Grinch leak may not have had characters I wanted but at least they were characters. Now I literally have no reason to want the game so I'll probably be giving it a miss.

Lip could still happen but we won't know until a year from now.

11th

Smash Apprentice
She may not be a fighter, but she'll be right by their side.
Everyone is here. Everyone can make a difference in the story... it just takes a bit of imagination.
Lip Spirit 11-1-18 Final Small.png

I love the whole story concept, okay?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
She may not be a fighter, but she'll be right by their side.
Everyone is here. Everyone can make a difference in the story... it just takes a bit of imagination.
View attachment 174983
I love the whole story concept, okay?
Cool, who drew that?
spirits_flow30 (1).png

The only problem with the Lip's Stick item in this image is that people won't know that it can close and open.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman

Japanese fans are very happy to see Lip's costume. Hopefully they (and we) will be even more pleased by the DLC.

The text says: "A costume joins the battle!" "Thank you!"
Who drew this, got a link on Twitter?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I just posted this on Twitter, but I wanted to share here that I went ahead and made a QR Code for my own Lip Mii I would play as when items are on.

I am quite ecstatic about the option to play as her, even if via the Mii Swordfighter. The new voices and costume will definitely make it feel like her more than ever before, I really couldn't be happier! (except if... y'know.... she herself was playable)

But I digress, realistically this was the best outcome. I am very pleased, definitely my highlight of the Nintendo Direct (next to like, Mii Fighters being playable online).

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I’ll just post this here for everyone:
Finally watched it.

Lip pretty much did the best she could hope for. Being a Mii costume puts her in a good position going forward, especially if another Panel de Pon gets another game with the fairy cast in the coming years.

Look at Ultimate's newcomers:
1. Inkling: Mii costume in Smash 4
2. Ridley: Stage hazard boss in Smash 4
3. Simon: No appearance
4. K. Rool: Mii costume in Smash 4
5. Isabelle: Assist Trophy and Mii costume in Smash 4
6. Incineroar: No appearance
7. Daisy: Mii costume (just the hair & crown though) in Smash 4
8. Richter: No appearance
9. Chrom: Final Smash character and Mii Costume in Smash 4
10. Dark Samus: Assist Trophy in Smash 4
11. Ken: Trophy in Smash 4 (I believe the only Street Fighter character to receive a trophy aside from Ryu)

Basically half of the newcomers were Mii Costumes (five). Being a Mii Costume is a big step forward. If Lip is going to "graduate" though she absolutely needs more exposure (which the Mii costume gives her) and a brand new Panel de Pon game which stars her & her fairy friends.
That's quite the optimism, but there is some truth to it. All those Mii costume characters were popular, and seeing how most of them got in as playable, I have hope for the future. Really sad about Takamaru though, oh well.
I just posted this on Twitter, but I wanted to share here that I went ahead and made a QR Code for my own Lip Mii I would play as when items are on.

I am quite ecstatic about the option to play as her, even if via the Mii Swordfighter. The new voices and costume will definitely make it feel like her more than ever before, I really couldn't be happier! (except if... y'know.... she herself was playable)

But I digress, realistically this was the best outcome. I am very pleased, definitely my highlight of the Nintendo Direct (next to like, Mii Fighters being playable online).
I love it, The ribbon is cute. Thanks for sharing.
And yes Lip got more than I expected honestly. Slowly but surely getting there.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
A major victory was won the other day. Having a physical appearance is sure to get a lot of people interested in her snd support her for the next Smash Bros., whenever that may be.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
This was a bitter sweet direct for me in regards to Lip. Yes it's unfortunate that we didn't get our girl in the base game, however I love the amount of appreciation she was given though! Not only does Lippy have a spirit, but she has a mii costume and they don't give those things to just anybody! TBH all of this just raised Lip's chances of getting into smash because if the argument that states that she can't be in smash because she hasn't had an American appearance still stands then why did she get a mii costume? You would think characters who are popular worldwide (or at least known worldwide) would be the only ones to get a costume but nope! We still don't have a real retro rep so maybe one of the DLC packs will be retro based and feature Lip!
It should also be noted the Piranha plant being in smash shows that the bar to be in smash isn't THAT high; if you can come up with something innovative with a character they'll be perfect for smash! Lip would be interesting because we don't have a magical girl fighter in smash yet!

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
A major victory was won the other day. Having a physical appearance is sure to get a lot of people interested in her snd support her for the next Smash Bros., whenever that may be.
Unfortunately, not that many people reacted to the Lip outfit yesterday.
But since Miis are online now, we can still do our part now. We know what we must do after launch.
This was a bitter sweet direct for me in regards to Lip. Yes it's unfortunate that we didn't get our girl in the base game, however I love the amount of appreciation she was given though! Not only does Lippy have a spirit, but she has a mii costume and they don't give those things to just anybody! TBH all of this just raised Lip's chances of getting into smash because if the argument that states that she can't be in smash because she hasn't had an American appearance still stands then why did she get a mii costume? You would think characters who are popular worldwide (or at least known worldwide) would be the only ones to get a costume but nope! We still don't have a real retro rep so maybe one of the DLC packs will be retro based and feature Lip!
It should also be noted the Piranha plant being in smash shows that the bar to be in smash isn't THAT high; if you can come up with something innovative with a character they'll be perfect for smash! Lip would be interesting because we don't have a magical girl fighter in smash yet!
Yup, everything’s on the table, now.
-Except Waluigi, it seems Piranha Plant proved that. Poor Waluigi.-
That being said, I do hope she makes it in with Banjo, Geno, Shantae, and maybe Rex.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
OMG OMG there may actually be hope for Corsola. :p:roll:

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If something inovative can be done with her then I am sure it can happen!
Well, my Corsola concept is a Jigglypuff semi-clone, but it only shares special moves, and those are shared rather loosely. I'd say it's a Lucas-level semi-clone, but Lucas's stats are similar to Ness (their differences lie almost entirely in their moves and move properties), while Corsola's stats are wildly different (Jigglypuff has terrible ground mobility and fantastic air mobility, while Corsola's mobility is all-around terrible; Jigglypuff is the lightest character in the game, Corsola is a super-heavyweight despite its small size; Jigglypuff is meant to be aggressive, Corsola is meant to be defensive; and so on and so forth).

As for Lip, I'm less interested in her "magical girl" aspects and more interested in her potential as a stage-controller and damage-over-time specialist, as outlined by N N. Onymous in the original post (I'd swap out his Lip's Stick neutral special idea for a puzzle block idea like his Final Smash concept (but with move properties derived from Luminario Luminario 's moveset concept's neutral special), and instead apply the Lip's Stick properties to Lip's smashes, tilts, and aerials). In general, my support for characters is based largely on how much potential they have to bring something new and unexplored to Smash (which is part of the reason why I'm not overly salty about Incineroar and Pirahna Plant despite my support for the Grinch Leak characters (outside of Mach Rider, who I'd rather not see before Lip, but especially Isaac and Banjo-Kazooie); Incineroar's special moves look like a blast to use, and Pirahna Plant in general just has me laughing my butt off at how crazy and unique its concept and moves are — I thought Moge-ko would be a long shot, but at least she's a major character in her home game, while Pirahna Plant is just a mook... oh boy, I'm rambling). You should check me out on Vaati's support thread, where I gush about how much amazing potential a wind-specialist character could have.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
In any case, I'm hoping Smash Bros. Feud takes off in a decent way. Lip is slated to be playable in the game, and I know Sakurai observes fangames and message boards for ideas even though he doesn't admit it. Maybe he'll see the potential in her moveset once we implement those ideas, and get her playable in an official game in a similar fashion.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I really hope the Japanese Lip fan who made those Smash videos makes a good climax.

Preferably, I wanna see an ending that directly refers to Lip getting a Mii costume and spirit.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Don't worry, Smash Bros. is non-canon. (Maybe.)

In any case, I'm hoping Smash Bros. Feud takes off in a decent way. Lip is slated to be playable in the game, and I know Sakurai observes fangames and message boards for ideas even though he doesn't admit it. Maybe he'll see the potential in her moveset once we implement those ideas, and get her playable in an official game in a similar fashion.
Please please please...

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just wanted a check in real quick. Is this piece of art original or has it been around for a while? (Like other Spirits?)

Lip.jpg

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Pleasantly surprised she was acknowledged and got more than what she had in the previous game. Sucks she’s not playable. But being noticed and acknowledged is a step in the right direction

Top Bottom