• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My most wanted characters are Lip, then in no particular order Inkling, Bomberman, K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, and Banjo. The Ultimate development cycle has been something of a roller coaster for me, as you can imagine. Three are playable, two may be playable, one is an Assist, and poor little Lippy is, as far as we know, still MIA.
I support all the characters you listed as well. What happened to Bomberman was heartbreaking, but to be honest if Lip were to show up in the same fashion I’d take it. The more people get to know her, the more people become fans.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Uh, guys? I've been hearing that the Grinch leak (or whatever's been making the rounds recently, I don't know) is fake. Apparently, some dude (Mariotehplumber? I don't know) corroborated the leak, and he went to some crazy lengths to pull it off. Supposedly, he released a YT video where he essentially gave himself away by accident or something?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Uh, guys? I've been hearing that the Grinch leak (or whatever's been making the rounds recently, I don't know) is fake. Apparently, some dude (Mariotehplumber? I don't know) corroborated the leak, and he went to some crazy lengths to pull it off. Supposedly, he released a YT video where he essentially gave himself away by accident or something?
Aha...the plot thickens. I'm not going to pass judgment one way or the other until it's confirmed or deconfirmed, but I can't say I won't be more than a little sad if it's not real. (Come on, Banjo...)

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
MARIOTEHPLUMBER?
OH HELL NO.
NOT HIM.
ANYTHING BUT HIM.
HE’S THE GUY THAT BOUGHT 100+ ROSALINA AMIIBOS DURING THE SMASH 4 DAYS SO THAT NO ONE COULD GET ONE.
That dude pisses me off.
Whatever you guys do, if you value your sanity, you WILL NOT watch any of his videos on YouTube.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Don't worry, I know who Mariotehplumber is. I'd be surprised if anybody didn't at this point.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, I know who Mariotehplumber is. I'd be surprised if anybody didn't at this point.
I ****ing hate his guts with a burning passion.
The fact that HE’S the reason for all of this “Grinch Leak” BS is just....UGH.
As far as he’s involved, we may never get Lip.
SCREW THIS DUDE.

Wurmple for smash

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3427-9374-2996
Guys don't worry, Mariotehplumber is just a annoying troll, don't take anything that guy says seriously.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My five most wanted are Bomberman, Vaati, Krystal, Lip, and Isaac, in roughly that order.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
A Smash Direct is coming in two days. We'll know very soon whether the Grinch Leak was real or not.

Come on, Sora... Let us have Banjo, let us have Isaac, let us have Geno, but don't let the dream be dead. Give us Lip.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
A Nintendo Direct is coming in two days. We don't know for certain yet whether it's a Smash Direct or if it's just an ordinary direct, but let's all hope for the best and pray the dream isn't dead.
Actually, it is in fact a Smash Ultimate focused direct:
I just pray to GOD that due to MTP, the Grinch leak isn’t entirely true. Bring in Banjo and Isaac, but PLEASE bring in Lip.

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for my radio silence, but I've been waiting for some news to arrive and here it comes. And amidst that leak, I'm very happy if only because all those so-called leakers got slapped left and right by its sudden emergence from the cloud of egotism and nepotism clouding the air. Everyone who claims to be an insider is on the edge of their seats and I couldn't be happier. On the other hand, it means our dear fairy is absent and won't be in the base game. While I do see that as a bad thing, I still am happy for the last characters that got in, especially three in particular only because it seemed unlikely, especially THAT one. I wanted that character in since Brawl and couldn't believe it was no longer viable and possible. A decade ago, the same decade where I was angry King K. Rool was absent alongside others, Lip included. I understand people were angry about the leak, but it was necessary, just to keep those so-called insiders in check. Next game, I hope they keep their mouths shut and their egos where they belong.

Overall, I'm glad this waiting cycle is over. One thing that I loved and hated Smash for was the characters. Who got in and who didn't get in. This game was something I hoped for back in 2011 (I got the diary to prove it) and it come to pass at long last along with some other surprises sprinkled on top. I really hope they go all out with the DLC and really make it its true namesake, an Ultimate and Special experience. I'd happily dump my wallet for whoever they add and there will be DLC. It's all a matter of if we can suggest it or if it's going to be influenced by the ballot. I think they have enough data to determine what could added for DLC. If there is another 'ballot', I'm gunning for Lip. While I want a few others, I'm going to admit that Lip has had a pull in recent times, more so than say, Captain Syrup and Yuga (If you were curious about some of my other picks). This thread made me realize how much I loved the game when I first played it in middle school and again in high school. Considering how early Lip's presence was seen in Smash, she seems like an obvious pick at this point.

to N N. Onymous , you've been a good navigator and captain and while this may seem like a deal-breaker to not have your Lippy in this game as of right now, I still think there's some chance of another surprise come Thursday. I fully expect Sakurai to pull something out his hat, maybe a rabbit or a bouquet of flowers.

Another hug for you.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm still remaining in doubt regarding th leak's veracity. I will admit there are many things in its favor, but...it just rubs me the wrong way. The roster is too perfect (after a fact, instead of Lip we get some generic biker instead), you know?

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I just hope MTP’s supposed involvement alone proves the Grinch leak to not be 100% accurate.
Screw him.
It would be hilarious if Mach Rider at this point is a fake, and Sakurai reveals Lip instead.
Then, I’d have two reasons to be happy and laugh.

(I apologize to anyone here who thinks I’m taking things too far with MTP, but my history with the guy makes me wince anytime I hear of him. He straight up got my Miiverse account banned just for calling him out when he did the stupid boastful act on Miiverse. And, the whole Rosalina fiasco, need I say more? Seriously, the dude needs to go to a mental hospital. He’s screwed up.)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
At this point all I want is for Three Houses to bomb in a rather spectacular way so that IS can start looking to other IPs instead of using the same one as a crutch. (...I really don't want Edelgard to be DLC, ok? Seven is more than enough. Far more.)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just hope MTP’s supposed involvement alone proves the Grinch leak to not be 100% accurate.
Screw him.
It would be hilarious if Mach Rider at this point is a fake, and Sakurai reveals Lip instead.
Then, I’d have two reasons to be happy and laugh.

(I apologize to anyone here who thinks I’m taking things too far with MTP, but my history with the guy makes me wince anytime I hear of him. He straight up got my Miiverse account banned just for calling him out when he did the stupid boastful act on Miiverse. And, the whole Rosalina fiasco, need I say more? Seriously, the dude needs to go to a mental hospital. He’s screwed up.)
At this point all I want is for Three Houses to bomb in a rather spectacular way so that IS can start looking to other IPs instead of using the same one as a crutch. (...I really don't want Edelgard to be DLC, ok? Seven is more than enough. Far more.)
As someone who supports Mach Rider and who likes Fire Emblem, let’s not get spiteful.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm not being spiteful. I just want them to pay attention to their other games for once. Ever since 2005 or so they've been "the Fire Emblem studio, plus te very, very occasional other game they've ruined either by removing everything that made it appealing, or by trying to force it to be more like Fire Emblem". It's very tiring at this point.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Eh....doubt it.
SEGA still doesn’t seem to get the message despite recent Sonic games being meh, so IS moving on from FE? That’s honestly hilarious, and I think you would be giving them too much credit.
By all means tho, IS if you want to prove us wrong, please do so. It’s all we want anyway.
As someone who supports Mach Rider and who likes Fire Emblem, let’s not get spiteful.
I don’t want you to think I hate the idea of Mach Rider, (I don’t at all) but after the MTP thing, I more hate the fact that he could be right. Nothing would be more satisfying that getting someone we want, at his expense. If not Mach Rider, then at least one of those characters being wrong.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
So maybe now isn't the best time to say this, but given recent events and some drama that just happened on the Panel de Pon discord, I'm going to get it out anyway:

I'm taking a break from Smashboards, or at the very least drastically reducing my presence here. How long, I have no clue. It could be until after Thursday's Direct, it could be until the game releases, it could be until DLC is announced, it could be until months after. It could even be permanent. I don't know. What I do know is that Smash Bros. and all of its speculation is beginning to take a serious toll on my mental health, and I need to step away before I start getting gray hairs, or have an even larger breakdown.

This isn't a decision I make lightly. The Lip thread is like a second home to me, and I love and treasure all the friends and fellow Lip supporters I've met on the way. But sometimes you have to make some sacrifices for your own good. I'm really going to miss you all! If you're still interested in hanging out with me for some weird reason, you can follow me on Twitter at @mabetech or join the Panel de Pon Discord here: https://discord.gg/DQfd6k4

(I'd also like to request the thread stay open until DLC for this game wraps up--because I know there will be DLC. Please don't deprive Lip's supporters of a place to hang out, to be together. We're small and fragmented enough as it is.)

Last edited:

Famikom

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0121 6087 2055
hey all! I was directed over here from the Isaac thread-- I actually wasn't aware that Lip had her own support thread, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised! I just want to let you all know that you've got another person on your side-- ever since Ultimate was announced Lip has been among my top 3 most wanted newcomers.

just because the Grinch doesn't favour us, i encourage you all to not lose hope! in the event that it's real, there's always DLC to look forward to for our girl!

and if the Grinch leak ends up being a hoax, who says she can't theoretically be in already, and we're none the wiser? :V

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I will still pop in to update the supporter list and post my artwork from time to time, but for now at least I need to step away from Smash Bros. I'm not in a sound enough place mentally to do this anymore. Sorry, everyone.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
So maybe now isn't the best time to say this, but given recent events and some drama that just happened on the Panel de Pon discord, I'm going to get it out anyway:

I'm taking a break from Smashboards, or at the very least drastically reducing my presence here. How long, I have no clue. It could be until after Thursday's Direct, it could be until the game releases, it could be until DLC is announced, it could be until months after. It could even be permanent. I don't know. What I do know is that Smash Bros. and all of its speculation is beginning to take a serious toll on my mental health, and I need to step away before I start getting gray hairs, or have an even larger breakdown.

This isn't a decision I make lightly. The Lip thread is like a second home to me, and I love and treasure all the friends and fellow Lip supporters I've met on the way. But sometimes you have to make some sacrifices for your own good. I'm really going to miss you all! If you're still interested in hanging out with me for some weird reason, you can follow me on Twitter at @mabetech or join the Panel de Pon Discord I linked earlier in the thread.

(I'd also like to request the thread stay open until DLC for this game wraps up--because I know there will be DLC. Please don't deprive Lip's supporters of a place to hang out, to be together. We're small and fragmented enough as it is.)
I will still pop in to update the supporter list and post my artwork from time to time, but for now at least I need to step away from Smash Bros. I'm not in a sound enough place mentally to do this anymore. Sorry, everyone.
Damn..well, thanks for setting up this thread anyway.
I really do hope Sakurai will pull a magic trick in our favor on Thursday. I know, slim to no chance, but, we can wish. Oof. :facepalm:
As for me, I probably will stay, I mean, I know MTP got me worked up and everything, but I’m not going to let a sociopath like him distract me from supporting Lip now into the future. It just really is hard being in this position where the guy you dread the most is involved with something you love.
hey all! I was directed over here from the Isaac thread-- I actually wasn't aware that Lip had her own support thread, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised! I just want to let you all know that you've got another person on your side-- ever since Ultimate was announced Lip has been among my top 3 most wanted newcomers.

just because the Grinch doesn't favour us, i encourage you all to not lose hope! in the event that it's real, there's always DLC to look forward to for our girl!

and if the Grinch leak ends up being a hoax, who says she can't theoretically be in already, and we're none the wiser? :V
Thanks for the support!
Any and all support for little Lip is welcome.
Here’s to hoping Sakurai will make a miracle happen!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
What the heck happened?!?
I'm stepping away from the Smash Bros. scene because I realized all this speculation and leak talk was taking a major strain on my mental health. I'll still be around, but I won't be posting regularly for a long while. Just updating the supporters list and posting fanart every now and then.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I'm stepping away from the Smash Bros. scene because I realized all this speculation and leak talk was taking a major strain on my mental health. I'll still be around, but I won't be posting regularly for a long while. Just updating the supporters list and posting fanart every now and then.
What was with the sad Lip picture you had there for a short time? It seemed like it was implying Lip is dead.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, I wish good luck to you in the future.
Thanks for everything.
I'm not leaving for good. I'll still be around, checking up on the thread every now and then and updating the supporter list, and I may even answer questions if I'm asked. I think it's best for me if I rest up on the speculation for now, though.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I'm not leaving for good. I'll still be around, checking up on the thread every now and then and updating the supporter list, and I may even answer questions if I'm asked. I think it's best for me if I rest up on the speculation for now, though.
Yeah...I guess.
Not that much to speculate on anymore, anyway.
Either MTP’s Grinch leak is real or not.
Either way, I hope the best for Lip as a fighter, albeit base roster or DLC.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
N N. Onymous It’s sad to see you go, but health comes first, always. I hope at least you leave content with all you accomplished for Lip’s cause.

Yeah...I guess.
Not that much to speculate on anymore, anyway.
Either MTP’s Grinch leak is real or not.
Either way, I hope the best for Lip as a fighter, albeit base roster or DLC.
Just so we’re clear, it’s not confirmed that MTP was behind the Grinch leak.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman

This isn't a decision I make lightly. The Lip thread is like a second home to me, and I love and treasure all the friends and fellow Lip supporters I've met on the way. But sometimes you have to make some sacrifices for your own good. I'm really going to miss you all! If you're still interested in hanging out with me for some weird reason, you can follow me on Twitter at @mabetech or join the Panel de Pon Discord here: https://discord.gg/DQfd6k4

Get healthy and I hope to see you around in the future.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
These Leak-thingys...

These people need to stop -if they are professional influencer or not-. The euphoria and salt are bound to leave a negative taste, which only the orchestrator(s) of said questionable leaks, seems to be fine with.

I mean the true and false teams. It seemed scripted; went viral and floated by the momentum. All these grinch influenced avas...

But we made it so far. Thanks N. Onymous, it was a wild ride, how ever it ends and I enjoyed it. ... And of course YOU (break of the fourth wall) as an participing supporter of Lip (if you aren't, consider to combo your score to the chain for a better board [sry had to low-key pun, please excuse me]) <3.

Code Steam ahaha. The Intelligent Systems of nowdays is more an "Dualligent Systems" (one, zero, zero, one, one [See, three ones and two zeroes, I am optimistic!]). The FE Awakening "wonder" can be remanufaktured. Just take Panel de Pon with Lip & Co add Mario, Yoshi and Co and furthermore DLC for guest character... now create a good game engine... (please make it happen... someday).

And Amiibo wholesale buyer... they deserve my utter love *taken and put on hold*... of my paralell universe self *twisted and delivered by it*. What does smell so charred here? Nothing? I dreamed again it seemed. Smash-RosaLu 40€ Online and everywhere sold out at launch. PTSD returns if I just think about the new smash amiibo.

There is also DLC... I go to the shadowside of the board.... The next two days will it show. Have a good and relaxing time everyone!

LipFlare

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
My most wanted characters are Lip, then in no particular order Inkling, Bomberman, K. Rool, Ridley, Geno, and Banjo. The Ultimate development cycle has been something of a roller coaster for me, as you can imagine. Three are playable, two may be playable, one is an Assist, and poor little Lippy is, as far as we know, still MIA.
My five most wanted are Bomberman, Vaati, Krystal, Lip, and Isaac, in roughly that order.
My top most wanted characters in order are:
1. Ashley
2. Geno
3. Lippy!
4. Adeleine
5. Paper Mario

Happy Halloween guys and ghouls! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow! And if that doesn't work out I'm not giving up DLC either: I'll never give up on Lip and Ashley~

N N. Onymous don't cha worry bout it all, you just take care of yourself good ya here? (.^ ^.)
I've been through all the old posts here just now and see there's a new petition up now and the discord link is up. I'll sign the pet and meet y'all over on the dis~

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Well, tomorrow’s the direct.
I don’t know where we’ll go from here after it happens, (although I’m afraid MR may have harmed Lip’s chances exponentially) but I do hope if she’s not seen, she’ll be future DLC.
If not....then...I just won’t know what to say.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Hello everyone, apologies for the long abscence. Much like with N N. Onymous here (by the way, thank you so much for organising and creating this support thread; it's been fantastic having a place I can talk to fellow Lip fans), I feel that long periods of investing myself in Super Smash Bros speculation can get a little... stressful and disheartening. Super Smash Bros meant a lot to me, particularly Brawl which ended up being a cornerstone of my life for a while, only for the direction SSB continued to proceed with crushing the pedestal I had placed it on.

This is not the time to be down and gloomy though and I still have plenty of sparks of optimism in me. Today may potentially decide whether I purchase this game with either a Lip reveal or a grander Subspace; doubt anything else could convince me. I don't believe in any of the leaks personally and so am still confident that Lip has solid chances of being revealed. If she's not in the base roster... then I guess we start showing our support for her for DLC. In any case, good luck everyone and to Lip most of all.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Lip supporters, please don't let her exclusion hurt you too much. Clearly some fans are more content with her situation than others. But the ones who want it to change, hopefully, are aware of how much they're asking of the company, and doesn't seriously expect them to just poof Lip back into existence one day. So just take care of yourselves and try not to overthink the whole Lip ordeal.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
Been ages since I posted, but thought I'd share an interesting little story.

This was several months ago, but while exploring the bar scene of Osaka, I made some interesting discoveries. At one game bar (they are a thing here), I found out that Panel De Pon was one of the most popular games there and a main draw to the point where they included it on their twitter banner.

At another bar, this time a dagashi bar that happened to have a lot of video games and otaku crap, they had a NES and SNES Classic set up. A guy there asked me if I wanted to play. He was a younger guy, probably no older than mid-30s (but with Japanese people I can never tell for sure). I scrolled through the games and picked Panel De Pon, which he seemed confused by. The 20-something year old female bartender exclaimed "Oh, I love Panel De Pon!", which I thought was interesting. So we started up a VS game only for me to start quickly getting my *** handed to me because I was pretty rusty. To save face, I started claiming that it was the first time I ever played (which probably confused him even more on why I would have picked it), so he quit the game and had me watch the tutorial, as I continued my little deceit. Afterwards, we start up another game and I end up doing better. After a few rounds it ends in a draw.

Now this is still only a very small sample of people, so I don't want to use this as evidence that PDP is super enormously popular in Japan or anything. But regardless I was surprised how many people of different ages here are still familiar with it.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Well, it’s nice to hear some stories regarding PdP and Smash.
With only a few hours before the direct happens, we’ll see what happens.

Top Bottom