• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

11th

Smash Apprentice
While I don't disagree that some people would be very upset if Lip got in over their picks, the Smash crews have had a history of adding at least one "Where the heck did that come from?" character into every game since Melee. Yes, some particularly salty people would probably throw fits, but I think most would begrudgingly accept it if Lip (or any other obscure character) made it in.

How good/bad the reaction would be would also depend on how the character is announced. A solo reveal like Isabelle's would send people into a rage if it were something clearly planned like a Direct, but if they just randomly dropped the character trailer by itself or announced the character alongside another that people are excited for, the excitement would probably neutralize most of the negative reactions.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Let's not sling mud, all right? All fan bases are deserving of respect. Yes, even that one. And that one. It's always the bad apples that ruin things for everyone.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Let's not sling mud, all right? All fan bases are deserving of respect. Yes, even that one. And that one. It's always the bad apples that ruin things for everyone.
I apologize for my last post (and to you, MasterRosie) but I'd rather not give up Lip's spot (or a chance for Panel de Pon) over to something with fans that were disrespectful enough to harass Sakurai.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I apologize for my last post (and to you, MasterRosie) but I'd rather not give up Lip's spot (or a chance for Panel de Pon) over to something with fans that were disrespectful enough to harass Sakurai.
I know how you feel about that. I too used to give Waluigi fans a rough time for that. While I do acknowledge the wrongdoings of “those” Waluigi fans, I’ve come to realize that generalizing the fanbase for a few bad apples is also a bad idea. Some of them do want their character as genuinely as we want Lip. Either way, I’ll be happy as long as Lip is in the game somehow.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I absolutely support. Smash needs puzzle game reps, so why not Nintendo's own flower fairy? I love the idea of one of her moves involving the cursor and being able to "swap" positions of fighters and items. She would have a unique moveset and fill a gap in the roster, and get more eyes on Panel de Pon.

Honestly, my ideal scenario would see her and Arle both confirmed at the same time. I'm thinking a trailer where Yoshi and Kirby are hanging out in a flower field when suddenly panels start rising from the ground. They're panicking when suddenly Lip shows up to do some matching and save the day! Cue gameplay footage and cute cameos from enemies from her game and the like. Then, at the very end, a Puyo falls from the sky and it transitions into an Arle trailer.

Those two plus a Tee assist trophy that drops Tetris blocks would be the perfect way to represent puzzle games in Smash, and I know it'd make me happy to see all three represented. I'm huge on the Arle train but I just don't see any other puzzler making it in before Lip - she deserves to be in because she's truly a Nintendo All Star! She'd be the perfect unusual newcomer with a fun moveset and as a female fairy would attract a different demographic to Smash which I'm all for. Variety is what makes these games so fun.

D

Deleted member

Can people FINALLY stop throwing mud at Waluigi fans? Just because a very small amount of people went overboard, suddenly the entire fanbase is cancer? Every fanbase has some extreme people, that doesn't make the entire fanbase bad. Not to mention, people should parroting what everyone says, I've yet to see any proof of those "cancerous" Waluigi fans to begin with. Everyone always says how bad they are without any proof whatsoever. It was blown up way out or proportion and those so-called gaming "journalists" certainly didn't help either, by throwing themselves onto the story like a pack of hyenas without bothering doing actual research and just copying from each other. I've also seen some terrible Ashley fans, that doesn't mean I'm going around and claim that all of them are terrible.

This fanbase has always been relatively small and dedicated, but chill, so let's not start attacking others now. Otherwise, if this keeps going, I'd rather be taken off of the supporter list.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Things have already calmed down here. I'm mad at him too, but let's not restart old arguments.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Hello all. Lip is my second most wanted character and I really really wish she had her chance to return. I love the panel de pon characters even if I am pretty bad at the game... Not sure what else to say... I really want Lip to be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Things have already calmed down here. I'm mad at him too, but let's not restart old arguments.
That's where you're wrong already. I'm not mad at him, if anything I'm more mad at those game "journalists" that blow everything out of proportion instead of doing actual research like their job should be. I'm voicing a general opinion of mine that's not directed at anyone particular, but simply me being fed up of seeing Waluigi being the boogeyman everywhere you look and now he's been brought up here as well.

At this point, you can't even say you're a Waluigi supporter without being branded as "one of those guys". I've been keeping quiet about it for a while now because i was hoping things would calm down and stop, but evidently that's not the case as it keeps being brought up. Some things need to be said and sweeping it under the rug will not solve anything and actually encourages this kind of behavior because it gives off a sign that it is acceptable to attack others. And as someone who liked this fanbase for being dedicated but calm, I do not want this to happen, so i will speak up about this. I'm normally a pretty calm person, but mudslinging like this does rile me up.

Again, I'm not singling out anyone in particular, but I will voice my mind on this, because I care about Lip and don't want this fanbase to be known as hostile and being put into a bad light.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Again, I'm not singling out anyone in particular, but I will voice my mind on this, because I care about Lip and don't want this fanbase to be known as hostile and being put into a bad light.
I agree. The more friends we can make as Lip fans, and the less people we can alienate, the better.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Serious question:
If the Switch’s online service added Mother 3 and added the original unedited Panel de Pon (No Yoshi, or anything like that) to the library across the globe, do you think that would be a benefit? Would you consider picking up a subscription?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Serious question:
If the Switch’s online service added Mother 3 and added the original unedited Panel de Pon (No Yoshi, or anything like that) to the library across the globe, do you think that would be a benefit? Would you consider picking up a subscription?
I'm gonna pay a subscription regardless. I think paying for online is very stupid but I promised someone I would play Smash online next year. Plus, it's only $20 a year which is probably better than what Xbone and the PS4 got.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Serious question:
Mother 3 wouldn't convince me (Earthbound never seemed to click with me), but an unedited Panel De Pon... that might convince me to get the Nintendo Switch Online. I think the only thing that would definitely convince me to get the service is the return of Miiverse, but an unedited Panel De Pon; that's a tempting offer, hard to resist.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Serious question:
Absolutely. You include Mother 3, I might just pay one year for each of my friends out of gratitude.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Serious question:
Yes, and I already paid for one year's subscription but it would sway my opinion if I had decided not to.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm new to this community but I have lurked here before, specifically this thread. Although a bit late, please count me in as Lip's supporter! I have been a smash fan and a Panel de Pon fan for a long time, and I have always wanted her since the speculation period of Brawl. However, I have never been vocal so my support never saw light. Well recently my passion for Lip reignited and I thought now is the time to add my voice to the campaign of getting Lip in Smash bros. Like I said I have lurked and I'm happy with the amount of support she has here, even if there were a few somewhat pessimistic posts here. Let's not give up now!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Hello all. Lip is my second most wanted character and I really really wish she had her chance to return. I love the panel de pon characters even if I am pretty bad at the game... Not sure what else to say... I really want Lip to be in Smash.
Very nice to catch you here! (.^ ^.)
I've been wondering when you would show ever since you told me about your top 5 most wanted~ There's an Adeleine support thread too you know? I'll have to link it to you soon~
Serious question:
Oh I would most definitely~

On an unrelated note here's a Lip drawing i found that I wanted to share here today:
DYIsAyvWsAAW57j.jpg

I imagine she asking ol' Woomy here about her chances for Smash as well? It's a cute pic, but also a little sad... ;__;

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Lip has been referenced in Smash since Melee, it's so bad that she never appeared in a Smash game and only her wand did.

Anyway, I was thinking about something.... the Lip's Stick we have seen in that Richter screenshot seems like if it's made of plastic, it's like a toy (it kinda always looked like this in Smash anyway, it's in the more recent games that it has a more glossy effect but it hasn't really changed much).
I suppose that if Lip is a newcomer, she would have the actual Stick, the real one, and it would look more like a real flower, with also the blooming animation during several attacks.

I'm in the support list as a veteran supporter from Smash 4, but I want to say that, while I'm not much active here, I still support Lip.
This is also a way to say "thank you" to FooltheFlames FooltheFlames for supporting a lot in the Adeleine thread!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Lip has been referenced in Smash since Melee, it's so bad that she never appeared in a Smash game and only her wand did.

Anyway, I was thinking about something.... the Lip's Stick we have seen in that Richter screenshot seems like if it's made of plastic, it's like a toy (it kinda always looked like this in Smash anyway, it's in the more recent games that it has a more glossy effect but it hasn't really changed much).
I suppose that if Lip is a newcomer, she would have the actual Stick, the real one, and it would look more like a real flower, with also the blooming animation during several attacks.

I'm in the support list as a veteran supporter from Smash 4, but I want to say that, while I'm not much active here, I still support Lip.
This is also a way to say "thank you" to FooltheFlames FooltheFlames for supporting a lot in the Adeleine thread!
I do hope you are on to something with that theory! And I do hope that the Adeleine thread starts to gain more traction one day too. I've been asking others I know that support her outside of Smashboards to come and help out the cause there, same with Lippy too; but so far not much success. It's okay though; as long as they keep supporting them in their hearts~<3

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of her stick, I was always one of those pessimists that saw the inclusion of Lip's stick has a shot in her chance to get into Smash. But reading through this thread made me more hopeful. I hope she will be the first character in Smash history to be added as playable despite having her iconic item in Smash already.
Also I can see that you guys are active, but is there an active campaign for Lip's inclusion in Smash, say like in Twitter, Facebook, or Youtube or other giant social media communities? I feel that the best way for Lip fan's voices to get heard is to utilize those common social media and campaign through it. I was originally waiting until the game's release to join this community but I cannot wait any longer. IF Lip isn't in the final game, I can guarantee I will massively campaign for Lip's inclusion for DLC, no matter how slim the chances it may be.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
On an unrelated note here's a Lip drawing i found that I wanted to share here today:

I imagine she asking ol' Woomy here about her chances for Smash as well? It's a cute pic, but also a little sad... ;__;
Heheh, that one is mine. I linked it in here earlier. I'm glad it was able to reach people!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Probobly posted before, but found this and thought it was pretty cool.
It's based on the other fairies, which is all we really need.

A bit late on this but love those colors!

Anyway, I have been subscribed to my own theory that I think is pretty legit and likely, the music page icon theory. Back in the august direct we saw what the sound test screen looks like, and there were 3 missing spots on it.

sound test screen.png

these 3 spots must be for new series coming with new stages. I have been sure we are getting a retro as well(hence why I support lip) And I assumed the retro wouldn't get its own music icon as Iceclimbers, Rob, and Duck hunt didn't.

However, i was talking to people in the newcomer discussion, and they are pretty sure 4-5 is our max, more likely 4. So I thought, if there was 4 unique newcomers, and 1 is incineroar, how would a retro work? what retro could have enough music to get a stage and a music icon. Plus I thought all the top pics were also shown in that trailer. So I looked. I saw Shin Onigashma so no DOnbe and Hikari music icon. I saw Mach Rider, so no Mach Rider music Icon. Ballon trip is there so no ballon fighter music icon. Wrecking crew is there so no Wrecking crew music icon for that... one guy I keep seeing(hard hat someone) Even Clu clu is there.

But Panel De Pon wasn't there....

Yes, They didn't go down the full list. it stopped right at tetris. Lips theme comes RIGHT after Tetris C, and they stopped at Tetris A... coincednce?

Panel De Pon has a ton of music, that could fit very well with their own music icon, and get a stage using it. I think this gives Lip a huge boost in chances guys!

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Panel De Pon has a ton of music, that could fit very well with their own music icon, and get a stage using it. I think this gives Lip a huge boost in chances guys!
I love your optimism and I do hope this means something. But it could also be Sakurai playing tricks with us Pdp fans...
One thing for sure, the series has great musics and it's a shame Smash doesn't have many remixes for Panel de Pon. Here's hoping they remix Lip's theme again instead using the Brawl version again.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I love your optimism and I do hope this means something. But it could also be Sakurai playing tricks with us Pdp fans...
One thing for sure, the series has great musics and it's a shame Smash doesn't have many remixes for Panel de Pon. Here's hoping they remix Lip's theme again instead using the Brawl version again.
I doubt Sakurai is actively trolling anyone. its very counter productive to do that to fans.

Its still possible Panel de pon is in that screen, we cannot be sure. Even if it is, it doesn't rule out Lip as a character either. If her music is missing though(like they show more of other), then we can be sure that she is coming and getting her own music icon, because Sakurai has still not cut music from the games as far as I remember(save the Metal gear music)

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Sakurai is actively trolling anyone. its very counter productive to do that to fans.

Its still possible Panel de pon is in that screen, we cannot be sure. Even if it is, it doesn't rule out Lip as a character either. If her music is missing though(like they show more of other), then we can be sure that she is coming and getting her own music icon, because Sakurai has still not cut music from the games as far as I remember(save the Metal gear music)
Ugh, stop. You’re getting me TOO excited.
I don’t want to be disappointed if this ends up all for nothing. ;-;
(I just pray that Vergeben isn’t completely right.)

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I agree it's counterproductive but I definitely remember all that teasing he did during Smash 4 with Pyrosphere and Ridley.
You are getting my hopes up though.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Haha sorry about that. I just wanted to show the findings and what I have been theory crafting is all. Not saying all this is 100% proof but it makes you wonder and speculate, which is the most fun about pre smash.

Also, nothing Vergeben has said discounts Lip at all, so nothing he has said should upset us. He never said Ken, Incineroar, and a square is all we are getting.

I agree it's counterproductive but I definitely remember all that teasing he did during Smash 4 with Pyrosphere and Ridley.
You are getting my hopes up though.
True, though he seemed to be more hinting that Ridley was in as a boss then most likely. would it have been better to just show him? yup. but he felt the hype of seeing Ridley as a boss was a good thing. for some reason

NukeA6

Smash Master
Vergeben backpedals more than any leaker I have seen. He once said leaked that Zero was gonna be playable and King K. Rool wasn't but when he was wrong, he made the my-source-was-wrong excuse. Meanwhile, the Gardevoir leaker had guessed most of the Smash Direct correctly. Best not go aboard the leaker train because he's gonna be the laughingstock of the Smash community real soon.

Just keep in mind that he claims we're not getting Lycanroc or Decidueye and that any leak without Ken is fake.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Eh, a handful of Sonic songs got cut in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4 — I think it was specifically Emerald Hill Zone and Scrap Brain Zone.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Heheh, that one is mine. I linked it in here earlier. I'm glad it was able to reach people!
AH you made it did you!? It's wonderful~ °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
And yes it has been making it's rounds all about the web- mission accomplished!
Vergeben backpedals more than any leaker I have seen. He once said leaked that Zero was gonna be playable and King K. Rool but when he was wrong, he made the my-source-was-wrong excuse. Meanwhile, the Gardevoir leaker had guessed most of the Smash Direct correctly. Best not go aboard the leaker train because he's gonna be the laughingstock of the Smash community real soon.

Just keep in mind that he claims we're not getting Lycanroc or Decidueye and that any leak without Ken is fake.
I can attest to that:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76403748

^ here's the topic where he claims Zero, Tails, Phoenix Wright, and Noctis are all going to be playable. TwT
So even getting Simon and Isabelle right so far, he'll still get more wrong than right if the other 3 besides Zero here never make it in as fighters. He could just have better and reliable more sources by now, or he could have just gotten smarter and started making better educated guesses as the more he went along... who really knows?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Eh, a handful of Sonic songs got cut in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4 — I think it was specifically Emerald Hill Zone and Scrap Brain Zone.
Ah. Ok. but has the only song representitive of a series been cut?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I hope she will be the first character in Smash history to be added as playable despite having her iconic item in Smash already.
It already happend. Olimar has his iconic spaceship both in his final smash and as a generic item in Smash 4, it can appear multiple times in the stage.
I know that it's not his main weapon or something, and Lip's Stick is a lot more important to Lip than Olimar's spaceship is to him, but it's still a very similar case, and it happend regardless.
(the comparison doesn't really work with the Screw Attack, Fire Flower or Baseball Bat as they are generic power-up/items and multiple of them can coexist even in their home series - I know you usually get the Screw Attack only once, but that's because of the game's structure, it's still only a generic power-up).

Lip's Stick is not announced yet, we have seen it from a screenshot but there is still a potential announcement left. Maybe, during a direct, they will reveal the remaining items, and when they come to Lip's Stick, they do a plot twist and reveal that Lip is also in the game... it's still possible.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It already happend. Olimar has his iconic spaceship both in his final smash and as a generic item in Smash 4, it can appear multiple times in the stage.
I know that it's not his main weapon or something, and Lip's Stick is a lot more important to Lip than Olimar's spaceship is to him, but it's still a very similar case, and it happend regardless.
(the comparison doesn't really work with the Screw Attack, Fire Flower or Baseball Bat as they are generic power-up/items and multiple of them can coexist even in their home series - I know you usually get the Screw Attack only once, but that's because of the game's structure, it's still only a generic power-up).

Lip's Stick is not announced yet, we have seen it from a screenshot but there is still a potential announcement left. Maybe, during a direct, they will reveal the remaining items, and when they come to Lip's Stick, they do a plot twist and reveal that Lip is also in the game... it's still possible.
I think they were saying the item showed up in previous games before the character ever did.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Something I don't understand because I'm new to this "leaking community."
Why does this vergenben do this? Why does he constantly try to "leak" upcoming games? From my understanding this isn't the first game he's tried to leak. Does he simply enjoy ruining people's surprise and kill hype? Because speculation hasn't been fun for this game with his leaks, and it hasn't been fun with Smash 4 and the Gematsu leak. And speculation period before releases were always fun for any games.
Why does he do this?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Ah. Ok. but has the only song representitive of a series been cut?
Not that I recall. I think I could go on SmashWiki to check...
Why does this vergenben do this? Why does he constantly try to "leak" upcoming games? From my understanding this isn't the first game he's tried to leak. Does he simply enjoy ruining people's surprise and kill hype? Because speculation hasn't been fun for this game with his leaks, and it hasn't been fun with Smash 4 and the Gematsu leak. And speculation period before releases were always fun for any games.
Why does he do this?
I saw a crazy theory on GameFAQs that he's some sort of freelance hype-maker who gradually leaks little bits and pieces of information on a game in an effort to build hype for games. And, yes, by "freelance", I mean that companies actually hire him to do this. Or so the theory goes. If he really has been hired by Nintendo to feed Smash Ultimate hype, I'm not sure why he’d propose leaks that reinforce that blasted depressing box theory, as derailing the hype train would be the exact opposite of his job.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman

Yeah like zferolie said, I meant first appearing as an item THEN as a full fledged character

zferolie

Smash Hero
Why does he do this?
Ehh, some people want to know everything right away, and he does it for them.

Was went there to make sure the order of Panel De pon and saw that it was pretty my right after tetris, and every other song in other is in the same order so far as listed there. I can look later to see as well

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Ehh, some people want to know everything right away, and he does it for them.
Yeah I was never fond of impatient people. I wish they weren't the majority but it is what it is.

I saw a crazy theory on GameFAQs that he's some sort of freelance hype-maker who gradually leaks little bits and pieces of information on a game in an effort to build hype for games. And, yes, by "freelance", I mean that companies actually hire him to do this. Or so the theory goes. If he really has been hired by Nintendo to feed Smash Ultimate hype, I'm not sure why he’d propose leaks that reinforce that blasted depressing box theory, as derailing the hype train would be the exact opposite of his job.
That is crazy.
I vaguely remember Sakurai saying he was disappointed Smash 4 got leaked and this time they were extra careful with the game leaking.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Why does he do this?
I suppose that's the way people like him have fun with speculation. Anyone can 'leak'. It's up to you if you take any credence in it. All leakers do is make lists saying so and so wil b in the game, without ever any proof, hoping something will stick. You and I can make a leak right right now lol

I guess another thing leakers like to do is influence and fuel the hype. Simon was virtually never talked about or wanted or asked for untill this year with the supposed 'leaks'. Now since he's been a hot topic this year and this year only, newbies are under the false impression that he's always been a popular request for Smash uhh... noo...
And let's say Skull Kid was revealed last direct. All of a sudden people would place credence in all those 'leaks' in the 8/8 direct, when really they have no correlation whether Skull Kid is playable or not.

I understand your anguish, but the leakers will continue to do these things in every speculation cycle. Best you can do is just try to ignore these 'leaks' directly for yourself, place no belief in them and politely ask others not to share any current 'leaks' with you cuz you don't believe in them. If you begin to believe in them, that gives them power, that is what will ruin your fun~

zferolie

Smash Hero

Well.. that is a crazy theory. I have seen worse out there, and companies do strange things to build hype. look what EA did to hype Dante's inferno: stage a fake protest, and do that do E3 of sin thing saying you should try to sin with the booth girls)

Yeah I was never fond of impatient people. I wish they weren't the majority but it is what it is.

That is crazy.
I vaguely remember Sakurai saying he was disappointed Smash 4 got leaked and this time they were extra careful with the game leaking.
Well *puts on tinfoil hat*, that could be why he doesn't know everything. He still builds the hype up for the game without showing all the cards. Plus it may be why he only posts on gamefaqs. the General gaming public won't be seeing the stuff there, only die hard people looking for leaks will, so it won't ruin the hype for most. Hell, I never even heard of Vergeben till after the August direct(or at least his name, heard of some other leaks he did), so that direct was all hype and surprise for me, same for E3.

Top Bottom