• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Congratulations! I've been active in Smash speculation since 2005 and this fanbase has always been around so I imagine Panel de Pon no longer being a Japanese exclusive after 25 years must feel pretty amazing.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
WOOO I can finally play the PROPER VERSION!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I've actually never played a game using the Switch Online. Is it temporary? If so, for how long do they stay?

shammah121

Smash Cadet
GUYS! I was sooo excited to see Panel De Pon! Finally, Lip is no longer a Japanese exclusive! Even if Lip doesn't get into Ultimate, this to me is a big win!!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit, the idea of Lip one day joining Smash as a retro rep has me excited. With Animal Crossing Puzzle League then the Mii Costume and now an official Panel de Pon version coming to America... idk. I'm just really happy about it all.

Here's hoping for more positive vibes for Lip in the future.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
obligatory "popping in after a decade or so to say We Did It Boyz" post

It's not exactly Lip getting in Smash, but on the other hand, Panel de Pon is getting rollback netcode before Smash is, so who laughin now :mybodyisreggie:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It’s pretty sweet to see panel do pon finally get an official western release without being relabeled or a part of a different ip.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
BluePikmin would like me to tell you all that he is very, very, very excited about this announcement. And why shouldn't he be? This is the biggest thing to happen to our tiny, yet steadfast community... hell, probably ever! And certainly since the Mii costume.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Hello!
Been a while since I’ve posted here, hasn’t it?
I’m happy for the PdP community! Today is the franchise’s turnaround, guys! It’s only smooth sailing from here on!!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Panel de Pon is getting an official English release for the first time on Switch Online, giving Lip her first actual non Smash appearance outside of Japan!

To think, we finally live in a world where Lip is finally seen in her original form OUTSIDE of Japan! Yeah, PdP isn't translated, but neither is Super Puyo 2. I'll take what I can get here, personally.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that this puts her on the level of Takamaru, whose game came out worldwide after the release of Smash 3DS/Wii U. What's more, at least Lip isn't an AT currently (No hate towards my Takamaru stans, of course).

For as much as I love Puyo Puyo, I just PRAY Arle Nadja hasn't stolen Lip's thunder or something.

I signed back into my Smashboards account for the first time in a while just so I could post about this, but it seems I've been ninja'd a few times over. Whoops!

I'm still not 100% convinced I'm not asleep right now. I feel like I'm about to read Scooby-Doo has been confirmed for Smash Ultimate DLC and then wake myself up. Now that Panel de Pon has finally escaped into international territories, the last remaining excuse for Lip to not be playable in Smash is gone. Dust. This is the happiest I've felt in a long time.

Edit: Also reading the salt in the YouTube comments is incredibly satisfying.
I was REALLY hoping you heard this news!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Finally! Panel de Pon goes international! Lip is no longer obscure.

Maybe she and Takamaru could get in the next Smash as the new retro reps.

Nintendo is running out of popular international retro characters :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpit::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt: so the next best thing are popular Japan-only retro characters that went international.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Lip fans can now imagine how Arle fans felt when Super Puyo Puyo 2 was released on the SNES Switch app.

But congrats! This is a major step for the series, and Lip in Smash!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

The fact that Nintendo couldn't most likely released Tetris Attack due the trademark on Tetris-name today is making this all the more poetic in it's most ironic way possible.

Anyway... can we say yatta?

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
It is great that at last the Panel de Pon comes out internationally I never thought this would happen but it is a great step forward

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Just saw the news!! I don't even know what to say. I'm just so glad that our girls are being acknowledged by NoA, and not just in Smash. ;v;

PdP AaaaAAAAAHHHH.png

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yoooooo it actually happened! Panel de Pon is now a global franchise! This is great, this is so great. I'm not gonna go there and say she's a lock or anything, but this gives her shot at being a retro rep down the line a huge boost!

Also, not sayin' I'm a leaker, but...
Never say never, maybe as one of the SNES games for NSO subscribers.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Holy cow it feels good that Nintendo is recognizing panel de pon again <3
Today was a victory that we've needed for years!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Finally! Panel de Pon goes international! Lip is no longer obscure.

Maybe she and Takamaru could get in the next Smash as the new retro reps.

Nintendo is running out of popular international retro characters :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpit::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt: so the next best thing are popular Japan-only retro characters that went international.
Besides Lip there is still Mach Rider, Ayumi Tachibana, Wart we are far from running out of Retro characters.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well boys and girls, we did it. Tetris Attack is no more.
I probably feel you didn't mean it in that sense, but thinking about how Nintendo not apparently going their way to get acquire rights of Tetris-trademark to release Tetris it again must had been the major reason PdP's seeing the international light of the day....

I guess you can really say it is no more, being now trapped into the awkward purgatory of trademark jumble.

Guess it's time for Yoshi and his friends to share the pain of their most successful puzzle game getting banished like how they did to the fairies more than 20 years ago. :demon:

D

Deleted member

I've heard EVERYTHING.... who knows what Nintendo's up to? They will probably give us both Arle and Lip for Smash Ultimate next. Anything is still possible!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
What do you know... :eek:

Here comes an unexpected blessing from Bill Trinen himself!

Looks like this might have been more about our wishes being finally heard!!

This is so nice to see. On top of that, Panel de Pon was the most talked about from that list.

Hopefully the buzz she got has showed Nintendo that people still love Puzzle League and Lip and want to see both return in the future.

As for Smash, I have to practice my Mii Swordfighter to keep the Lip hype going. This is pretty big.

Top Bottom