• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm hoping that the next batch of DLC characters are 1st party. That way we can pray Lip gets in as a puzzle rep
Please? I don't mind a few third parties on the side (I was overjoyed when Sonic got in Brawl), but we're at the point where there are more third party characters in this Smash Bros. than there were characters period in the first game, and I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't view that as a good thing. There's still so many unsung Nintendo heroes who haven't gotten their shot, simply because people--Nintendo themselves too, apparently--view Smash Bros. as this "hall of fame" for video games, where only the big and the popular can get in. Well, it can't be that way forever. Surely Lip's time has to come eventually.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please? I don't mind a few third parties on the side, but we're at the point where there are more third party characters in this Smash Bros. than there were characters period in the first game, and I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't view that as a good thing. There's still so many unsung Nintendo heroes who haven't gotten their shot, simply because people--Nintendo themselves too, apparently--view Smash Bros. as this "hall of fame" for video games, where only the big and the popular can get in. Well, it can't be that way forever. Surely Lip's time has to come eventually.
And you want more Nintendo characters because....

D

Deleted member

I thought you did too. Lip is a Nintendo character last time I checked.
I also want more Nintendo characters for Smash. The Third Party ones are already too mainstream! I hope the 5th DLC fighter is Arle because once Arle joins the fight, that's it, i won't ask for another Third Party character again. I was introduced to Lip and Panel de Pon back in 2019, and Lip's Spirit and Mii costume left me wanting more.

If anything, i'd sacrifice Doomguy and Crash and have Lip instead. I am also tired of people who kept asking for Sora, Steve, Fortnite, Scorpion, Master Chief, and heck even Goku in Smash. At this point, i want the next DLC to be Nintendo spirits becoming fighters.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You sound like you're backpedaling, but I'll believe you.

It's not that the third parties are mainstream that I don't like (most of them aren't, actually. What Tom, Dick, or Harry is going to have heard of Terry Bogard, or think Joker is anyone but a clown with green hair?). It's that the more third parties get in Smash Bros., the more people are convinced that it's meant to be a celebration of all gaming history where only characters who are insanely popular or massively influential can get in, and the less of a chance Lip has.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You sound like you're backpedaling, but I'll believe you.

It's not that the third parties are mainstream that I don't like (most of them aren't, actually. What Tom, ****, or Harry is going to have heard of Terry Bogard, or think Joker is anyone but a clown with green hair?). It's that the more third parties get in Smash Bros., the more people are convinced that it's meant to be a celebration of all gaming history where only characters who are insanely popular or massively influential can get in, and the less of a chance Lip has.
It'd be justified if the series was for Multi-Platform, but yes, i agree... iSmash is supposed to be a Nintendo celebration, but with less 3rd Party franchises, and heck, i don't want characters from games that have never been released on a SINGLE Nintendo console.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Every single third party in this game has either starred in a game that was released on a Nintendo console, has starred in a game released on a Nintendo console within the year of their reveal, or at the very least is from a series that originated on a Nintendo console. If the newcomer revealed this Thursday is who I think it is, they'll only be continuing the trend. I don't think you have much to worry about in that department.

D

Deleted member

Every single third party in this game has either starred in a game that was released on a Nintendo console, has starred in a game released on a Nintendo console within the year of their reveal, or at the very least is from a series that originated on a Nintendo console. If the newcomer revealed this Thursday is who I think it is, they'll only be continuing the trend. I don't think you have much to worry about in that department.
And who do you think should be revealed tomorrow?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yep... I honestly don't know what to feel. At least it means Nintendo first/second-parties aren't off the table.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Probably very off-topic in a fashion and a strange thing to come back talking about it, but hey, I had fun talking about this on PDP-discord...

I remember back during becoming a Puyo-nut and play PdP prior to that, I'd end up shipping Elias with Incubus from Puyo-series.

I guess this was due noticing this line from Elias's bio, implying she's a hopeless romantic:

Probably just for personal indulgements of "dawwws" back then because two bluenette romantics hitting it up easily. But I felt they'd be very adorable.

Interestingly enough, I discovered Incubus having a "Blue"-variant as one of the events in Puyo Quest:

For some reason the outfit shares some elements with Elias to me like the long boots and maybe the jewel despite being red before, though color scheme's still close to Incubus's original...

I guess I can indulge myself a little more with some cracky headfanons little more?

She made that outfit for him, shhh--

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Okay so... Byleth was announced. A 1st party. Not only that but now there's 6 spaces open. So... maybe? Lip may or may not have a shot.

D

Deleted member

20200201_114509.jpg

Here is a photography of Lip Mii Swordsman and 3 Inklings, and don't worry, i still want Lip to actually join.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
This fan base has done pretty well. I've noticed that a large portion of the Smash fan base recognize who Lip is and consider her a highly regarded candidate as far as retro characters go. And being from a puzzle game.

That actually relieves me quite a bit. I'm glad Lip has been in conversation. Even though she's not a top contender for DLC, we should continue keeping up the conversation Lip.

D

Deleted member

Lip is a really good fit for Smash, unlike DOOMGUY OR SORA OR STEVE! Lip is the ONLY Character to bless the Roster! Hell, she would SPARK THE NINTENDO VS. SEGA RIVALRY AGAINST ARLE if ARLE JOINS SMASH! I am ALL ABOARD FOR ONLY THOSE TWO!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This fan base has done pretty well. I've noticed that a large portion of the Smash fan base recognize who Lip is and consider her a highly regarded candidate as far as retro characters go. And being from a puzzle game.

That actually relieves me quite a bit. I'm glad Lip has been in conversation. Even though she's not a top contender for DLC, we should continue keeping up the conversation Lip.
As it is, time always will change perception, no matter what comes to pass during it. It's nice to see this resurgence of interest on Lip. :dr^_^:

D

Deleted member

Challenger Pack 6 is from ARMS this June! That means we still have hope for Lip!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anyone have any ounce of hope we'll get Puzzle League on Switch?
Never say never, maybe as one of the SNES games for NSO subscribers. They're really leaning on the "Special" version games, so we could get Panel de Pon as a Special version of Tetris Attack.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Never say never, maybe as one of the SNES games for NSO subscribers. They're really leaning on the "Special" version games, so we could get Panel de Pon as a Special version of Tetris Attack.
This is my biggest hope. I've been playing Animal Crossing New Horizons and one thing I miss is the Puzzle League minigame in New Leaf.

Any opportunity to play Puzzle League would be highly welcoming

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Am I the only one who reads this thread remembers: oh damn! I keep forgetting about Lip! I want her quite a lot as an icon... and an underutilized trope (both in having no fairy characters, with the closest being Zelda, and barely puzzle genre)?

Even when I think of throwback characters I remember Excite Biker and Balloon Fighter, but not frequently enough, Lip!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who reads this thread remembers: oh damn! I keep forgetting about Lip! I want her quite a lot as an icon... and an underutilized trope (both in having no fairy characters, with the closest being Zelda, and barely puzzle genre)?

Even when I think of throwback characters I remember Excite Biker and Balloon Fighter, but not frequently enough, Lip!
I actually had this hope of Lip becoming a bigger Nintendo icon representing Nintendo's best puzzle game. Like Mario with platformers, Link with adventure, or Samus with shooters. It's a slept concept; but much like Captain Falcon/F-Zero, a wasted opportunity.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I actually had this hope of Lip becoming a bigger Nintendo icon representing Nintendo's best puzzle game. Like Mario with platformers, Link with adventure, or Samus with shooters. It's a slept concept; but much like Captain Falcon/F-Zero, a wasted opportunity.
Im curious- when did you have that hope? It doesn't sound recent.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Im curious- when did you have that hope? It doesn't sound recent.
I've had it a few times but the biggest glimmer of hope was Animal Crossing Puzzle League. Not only was it a sign of Nintendo remembering the series exist but you even got a Flower Fairy outfit in the game. Showing that Lip is still considered the main protagonist of the series depsite her long absence.

But as time goes on, my hope has really decreased. We have Dr. Mario and Mario Kart on mobile but nothing for Puzzle League or F-Zero. There's still time, sure. But it's hard having hope when all Nintendo really wants to put their focus on is their biggest IPs.

D

Deleted member

(Tearfully) Oh... i wish Panel de Pon was revived with a Bang... a Panel de Pon direct will be a Blast.... starting with the original game getting remastered with a BETTER story reflecting the difficulty and Furil co-existing with Lip as a rival "sister", a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC of Panel de Pon, a Splatoon 2 Panel de Pon crossover Update with Lip as inkling girl gears, and ending with a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Panel de Pon Fighter's Pass (we'll get Lip, and 4 other Panel de Pon characters, knowing that Panel de Pon is a Nintendo IP and Nintendo IPs get to have multiple independent fighters, Why stop at Lip if we can play as her friends in Smash too?)

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I wish there were more Panel de Pon fans that could back up the genuine enjoyment of the series. Lip needs as much discussion and support as she can get.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I haven't posted here in such a long time what is up Panel De Pon fans?

If the rumor about a Iwata tribute character is true from Fatmanonice's sources, than maybe Lip could be that tribute character. Her game was the last game of Gunpei Yokoi's legacy so perhaps It would be a tribute to both Iwata and Gunpei if Lip is the rep if true.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I haven't posted here in such a long time what is up Panel De Pon fans?

If the rumor about a Iwata tribute character is true from Fatmanonice's sources, than maybe Lip could be that tribute character. Her game was the last game of Gunpei Yokoi's legacy so perhaps It would be a tribute to both Iwata and Gunpei if Lip is the rep if true.
This is the first I'm hearing about this Iwata Tribute rep. Do you have a link?

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Interesting.

Also, a pretty cool thing for now. Tetris 99 has an Animal Crossing theme and it's reminiscent of Animal Crossing Puzzle League. Not very notable but hopefully they'll remember Puzzle League and do something with the series.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I signed back into my Smashboards account for the first time in a while just so I could post about this, but it seems I've been ninja'd a few times over. Whoops!

I'm still not 100% convinced I'm not asleep right now. I feel like I'm about to read Scooby-Doo has been confirmed for Smash Ultimate DLC and then wake myself up. Now that Panel de Pon has finally escaped into international territories, the last remaining excuse for Lip to not be playable in Smash is gone. Dust. This is the happiest I've felt in a long time.

Edit: Also reading the salt in the YouTube comments is incredibly satisfying.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I'm playing this game at the perfect time. I'm stuck in quarantine but now I can enjoy it playing one of the most addictive puzzle games ever.

Hopefully this means good things for Lip in the future for Smash.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Congratulations to all Lip fans out there!
Please pray for us StarTropics fans who still have to deal with the "Not in Japan" argument. (That a rerelease of StarTropics 2.)
I signed back into my Smashboards account for the first time in a while just so I could post about this, but it seems I've been ninja'd a few times over. Whoops!

I'm still not 100% convinced I'm not asleep right now. I feel like I'm about to read Scooby-Doo has been confirmed for Smash Ultimate DLC and then wake myself up. Now that Panel de Pon has finally escaped into international territories, the last remaining excuse for Lip to not be playable in Smash is gone. Dust. This is the happiest I've felt in a long time.
Yeah welcome back. Now you can change your profile pic to celebrate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom