• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Have it fade into darkness like Peach's does. Nobody would really care.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
That leads to the same problem where you can't tell where the legs connect to the body.

Just model her underwear? I don't see what the big deal is. My model has panties on it too.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, when I say "flat plane", I'm talking about it looking like this, something you'd see on an N64/PS1 model:
And by looking at it in wireframe mode, it's also clear that the legs aren't even connected to the body.
Now, I get why this was done, short skirt + high mobility character, but... it's just so ridiculously ugly and kind of lazy even. Instead of looking for a nicer looking solution, they just filled it and left it like this.

In fact, when I made the custom model, the skirt was the part I had the most trouble with. I didn't want to do what Nintendo did here, but on the other hand, she has a pretty short skirt, almost comparable to Amy Rose (still longer than Captain Rainbow's). So I settled for a compromise by making her skirt slightly longer and way more narrow. Finding the right balance was tough. But obviously that falls into artistic liberty and I'm not sure how many liberties I wanna with this one.

Maybe I'm also just overthinking it, but I'm really undecided what to do here. I could leave it like it is or I could change it, But then, how would I change it, I'm really not sure what the best course of action would be here.
That leads to the same problem where you can't tell where the legs connect to the body.

Just model her underwear? I don't see what the big deal is. My model has panties on it too.
Its clear you are trying to make a Smashified model, so its better to go with bloomers like Furil in Nintendo Puzzle Collection. To begin with you should be taking priority for Pdp game series since its the main source material rather than the non-canonical material such as Captain Rainbow. CR game didn't have a proper representation of her hair which deemed her hair to be a challenge for people to model in the past.
To sum up choosing underwear instead of bloomers for modeling isn't appropriate at all for specifically making a Smashified model. Smash prioritizes being faithful to the source material rather than an outsourced game. The Bloomers also look a bit like shorts and suits Lip best as those types of undergarments are a bit kiddie.
The playable fighter's undergarments for Peach and Palutena also looked shorts like which is what Sakurai described it as regarding Palutena in Sm4sh's CERO Censorship.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Three different opinions from three different people, seems like there isn't a common consensus on what the people prefer. Guess I'll have to decide for myself then. I'll also probably make a lower poly version once it's finished. This should make it more usable for various potential modding tasks others might wanna do with it.

Its clear you are trying to make a Smashified model,[...]
Gonna stop you right there and tell you that you're wrong, if by that you mean a Smash Bros inspired model. Nowhere did I say it's gonna be one, it's just a generic one using the Smash costume as a base due to being the best there is. This makes all the comparisons you made to Smash Bros irrelevant because, again, what Smash Bros does is of no concern to me in this case.

so its better to go with bloomers like Furil in Nintendo Puzzle Collection. To begin with you should be taking priority for Pdp game series since its the main source material rather than the non-canonical material such as Captain Rainbow.
Furil =/= Lip. Just because they are similar doesn't mean they are interchangeable, especially when talking about "main source material" and then proceed to use a game where she doesn't even appear, it's contradictory. And yes, everyone here is very aware that Captain Rainbow is non canon, that goes without saying. It's just my favorite punching bag due to being so ugly as well as the only extended source of basically anything regarding Lip (like her using actual spells). So whether it's liked or not, it's gonna pop up from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

do you have images of your model? I've been looking for it on this page but all the images are broken

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just to clarify, when I say "flat plane", I'm talking about it looking like this, something you'd see on an N64/PS1 model:
And by looking at it in wireframe mode, it's also clear that the legs aren't even connected to the body.
Now, I get why this was done, short skirt + high mobility character, but... it's just so ridiculously ugly and kind of lazy even. Instead of looking for a nicer looking solution, they just filled it and left it like this.

In fact, when I made the custom model, the skirt was the part I had the most trouble with. I didn't want to do what Nintendo did here, but on the other hand, she has a pretty short skirt, almost comparable to Amy Rose (still longer than Captain Rainbow's). So I settled for a compromise by making her skirt slightly longer and way more narrow. Finding the right balance was tough. But obviously that falls into artistic liberty and I'm not sure how many liberties I wanna with this one.

Maybe I'm also just overthinking it, but I'm really undecided what to do here. I could leave it like it is or I could change it, But then, how would I change it, I'm really not sure what the best course of action would be here.
That model looks too good to be a N64/PS1 model. It looks more like a early Gamecube/PS2 model.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Both of the Lip models here are quite lovely~<3
As for the problem of pantie shots under a short skirt in game where you are jumping around a lot like in Smash (if the models were going to be used for that purpose) I would just give her little blue shorts under there or something, I don't think that would be very lewd at all. Blacking it out like you would for Peach/Daisy or even Ashley if she was playable in Smash really wouldn't work out as they wear long dresses and not skirts. And Lip has bee described as a bit of a tomboy before, so I don't think it's too far fetched of an option to give her shorts instead of panties.
Still it's a shame such options even have to be considered to be put into use as a deterrent measure to all the pervs ready and waiting out there. I do hope that Lip wasn't cut from appearing in Smash form Sakurai and his group just becuz they also couldn't find an answer to this issue you guys are pondering over now... :(

Anyways I came here today becuz I wanted to put this beautiful Lippy gif in my signature, but I'm having trouble with that:
https://imgur.com/X7vjQXk
https://imgur.com/a/tiwApqa

I used gfycat insert into media as well above but it doesn't look to be showing up on my end ??? :(
I mean i do see an X in my the signature below, that should be where the gif displays but it refuses to show on smashboards for some weird reason ???

Anyone think can help me with this problem today or later when im on? You can pm me if you want or tell me here and I'll gladly listen to your advice~ thankies in advance! :)

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
The legs on the model is also too tall since the proportions of the model are made for a Mii Swordfighter, that's the other only thing that should be adjusted. It should be a bit shorter.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, it'd help to remember that Lippy is a kiddo, and that Smash Bros. typically goes for with whatever is the most consistent portrayal of that character. Shoot more for Villager than Young Link.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I always saw her around the Ice Climber's height based on the in-game images of her. I can see Sakurai pulling a Pit with her if he ever added her with a pre-teen design. Get ready for PanePon Uprising and the influx of fairies next game. It's coming.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I always saw her around the Ice Climber's height based on the in-game images of her. I can see Sakurai pulling a Pit with her if he ever added her with a pre-teen design. Get ready for PanePon Uprising and the influx of fairies next game. It's coming.
Yeah, I also see Lip's general stature being about as 'stocky' as the Ice Climbers or the Villager. No offense, but I REALLY hope Lip doesn't ever get a redesign along the lines of what Pit got following his debut in Smash via Brawl. I don't know, I just don't think Lip should follow that trend...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, I also see Lip's general stature being about as 'stocky' as the Ice Climbers or the Villager. No offense, but I REALLY hope Lip doesn't ever get a redesign along the lines of what Pit got following his debut in Smash via Brawl. I don't know, I just don't think Lip should follow that trend...
I certainly am not against Lip getting a Pit style redesign (particularly if it comes with a reboot). Though I would dread her being turned into some kind of waifu. However I think Pit was a good balance between anime bishonen and still looking like a boy.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. So this isn't exactly Lip-related (or even PdP-related), but a fellow Mach Rider supporter came across what appeared to be leftover data for M.R. to appear in Captain Rainbow.

A part of me would have liked to see them in the game, but another part of me feels like M.R. was saved a rather unsettling fate of looking all 'Uncanny Valley' and not (like our poor Lippy).

Here's the link for those who want to see what they would have looked like:
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22909469

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
It isn’t anything too special, but I put this up on discord, and I guess it would be only right putting it here.
Feel free to say whatever you want about it, regardless of whether it’s good or bad.
39ABD709-7728-4F12-846B-C6CA50CD6968.jpeg

PsychoJosh

Why would they list it as Puzzle League in Japanese? I didn't think they knew that name for PDP.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's not that unusual for them to know of the Puzzle League name. I've seen Japanese gameplay videos of the SFC game labeled "Tetris Attack" in English.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Not if we ask for it.

If we are more vocal about getting the game localized over here, I think it will happen. But one person being vocal won't do anything. We need to get the ball rolling. We need more than one person on social media asking Nintendo to do God's work and officially localize Panel de Pon to the states.

That's the only way we'll ever see that day happen. If we just sit around silently and not say anything, there's no way for them to know we even exist.
Getting our voice out is the only way
Unfortunately, the PdP fanbase is simply too small, and the fans we do have aren't exactly vocal...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Getting our voice out is the only way
Unfortunately, the PdP fanbase is simply too small, and the fans we do have aren't exactly vocal...
That's no way to be. Complaining about Panel de Pon fans not being vocal when you're not vocal yourself is a self-fulfilling prophecy. All of us have to do what we can.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

This post has been infracted. Please don’t bring non-forum drama into threads and direct attacks to other users is against the ToS
Hello Lip fans. I am here to inform you on a new movement that could help benefit you and other deconfirmed characters a lot. It's called #UpgradeAssists and it's been getting bigger as of late. The idea is that we would bring up arguments as to why that character should be playable or just talking about them with the hashtags #UpgradeAssist and #AssistAlliance. Even if you don't have a Twitter, you can join the server listed below to learn aways of how to push your character. I know what some of you are thinking “Lip is not an Assist, and spirits don’t confirm”. This is a never ending debate since some do feel that Spirits are a hard deconformation. Also, the #BringBackLip movement is supporting us, so we want to support you all back. We are even making a channel to make you Panel poppers feel right at home in our server.

Back back to the main point, it’s a server and Twitter community all about supporting the idea of AT's and deconfirmed characters being promoted to playable or just still talking about them for the future to come. I advise all of you to join this server and help fight for their cause. It could benefit us for future Smashes if we do everything they say. See you all there.

https://discord.gg/pHF5jgf
I've been burned out on dealing with idiots in discords like these twice, and as much as I love supporting Lip, I really don't feel like doing it again. There's probably a lot of the same people anyways.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
The creator of the Panel de Pon x Smash Brothers crossover series on YouTube has posted a new video but I personally don't know what to make of it myself. Is this a new series or just a standalone video?

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
@Taigiry remember that Watabou model you made? Do you still have the model or did you delete it, I liked the design of it but I'm not sure if you ever uploaded the model.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Strange, I didn't get a notification...

Anyway, I do remember that model, yes. I made it half a year ago on my birthday as some sort of surprise, though I don't know if I still have it. In theory, it should be stored somewhere, as I tend to keep pretty much every project I did, whether it's a WIP or finished. Gotta admit though, it never was meant to be a serious project of mine, I did it mostly to teach myself how to use transparency with 3DS Max and thought a cotton ball would be the best choice for this. In short, I did it in what... half a day to maybe a day(?) so you shouldn't expect something great. That's also why it was never uploaded anywhere, I didn't think it was worth it, quality wise. I don't even think I ever rigged it, but given the simplistic nature, it would be a very simple task to do so.

If interest is still there, I can try and find where I saved it and then upload it.
Getting reminded of it, I'm still a bit sad I didn't get a single birthday wish back then.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Looks like we're getting a new Dr. Mario game for Android devices. Took them this long to finally put a puzzle game on mobile devices, huh.

Though I wonder, you think this might speak good news for Panel de Pon?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Lip and Cordelia should both be in
I have to agree with N N. Onymous here. I mean, Lip should be there. But Cordelia... eh, I see her appearing as a collectible, if anything.

Looks like we're getting a new Dr. Mario game for Android devices. Took them this long to finally put a puzzle game on mobile devices, huh.

Though I wonder, you think this might speak good news for Panel de Pon?
Hmm....I wonder....

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hmm. Remember that even if we do get a mobile Panel de Pon at some point, there's no guarantee it will have Lip in it, or any of the fairy characters. There's a very real chance we'd get it with a bland, generic skin (never forget that this has happened before), like any given Tetris game on there.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmm. Remember that even if we do get a mobile Panel de Pon at some point, there's no guarantee it will have Lip in it, or any of the fairy characters. There's a very real chance we'd get it with a bland, generic skin (never forget that this has happened before), like any given Tetris game on there.
I dunno, I think Japan would make a PdP game with the fairies, and this time I don’t think they’d bother to erase them for localization.

1. Because it’d be a mobile game and those are more liberal with marketing an anime/cutesy aesthetic.

2. Because it’d likely be a budget title and localization costs money.

Top Bottom