• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And from what I hear, Japan is in the middle of their own Minecraft boom on a similar level to what happened here in the west a couple of years back.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And from what I hear, Japan is in the middle of their own Minecraft boom on a similar level to what happened here in the west a couple of years back.
OK, but what makes Steve specifically more of a threat to Lip than Erdrick or any other character for that matter?

If it's fear of a "trend" there frankly has never been one. The Belmonts and K. Rool should be enough to disprove they're only going after "relevant" picks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
OK, but what makes Steve specifically more of a threat to Lip than Erdrick or any other character for that matter?

If it's fear of a "trend" there frankly has never been one. The Belmonts and K. Rool should be enough to disprove they're only going after "relevant" picks.
But Joker is pretty relevant.

It does say they are open to older picks, but it also does not say they are going for older picks specifically. We know K.Rool got in due to request, and I recall Castlevania getting in because it was pretty popular on a series wide level rather than on an individual character level. Popularity appears to rule above all with many character choices in this game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's the epitome of "recent and popular". Even if K. Rool and the Belmonts hadn't been seen in a while, people still loved them, they still knew who they were, they were still popular (and Castlevania is massively relevant to Nintendo's history as it is). Smash focusing on the recent and popular is what got us that hated "no Japan-only or dead franchises" rule.

Steve is from a popular game, but Steve himself is barely a character. He has the bare minimum of what is required to be considered a character, in that he has a design and a name...and that's it. He has no personality, no charisma, no appeal, he didn't even have a name until Notch was forced to give him one. He's a replaceable skin. Steve is only used in advertising at all because he is the default. I'd argue he's meant to be replaced--Minecraft is a game about expressing yourself, after all. Most players, at least on PC, change him to something else the first chance they get and never look back.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's the epitome of "recent and popular". Even if K. Rool and the Belmonts hadn't been seen in a while, people still loved them, they still knew who they were, they were still popular (and Castlevania is massively relevant to Nintendo's history as it is). Smash focusing on the recent and popular is what got us that hated "no Japan-only or dead franchises" rule.

Steve is from a popular game, but Steve himself is barely a character. He has the bare minimum of what is required to be considered a character, in that he has a design and a name...and that's it. He has no personality, no charisma, no appeal, he didn't even have a name until Notch was forced to give him one. He's a replaceable skin. Steve is only used in advertising at all because he is the default. I'd argue he's meant to be replaced--Minecraft is a game about expressing yourself, after all. Most players, at least on PC, change him to something else the first chance they get and never look back.
Uh, most everything you said applies to Villager, only difference is he/she is seen in third person normally.

Whatever. I want no part in a campaign fueled by bitterness.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
This is a campaign fueled by love and support for the character and her series, but if you're not interested, then that's your choice and I won't try to change your mind.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just coming through to vent:

If that (credible) rumor about Steve being DLC is true I'm not only not buying this game, I'm not touching another Smash Bros. game. Ever.

The series will be dead to me. The series will be dead to me because if Steve is there then it proves that the current direction of Smash Bros. is turning it into a pile of sellout garbage that only exists anymore to promote what's new and popular. Someone else can support Lip for SSB6 if they want to be disappointed that badly. I'm not going to be putting myself through that again.
While I don’t think it’s likely, I would just boycott if Steve got in. But you should buy the actual game though. Play as Lip online and all that jazz. Just, y’know, not buy the DLC you don’t like, dislike them trailers, etc.

Uh, most everything you said applies to Villager, only difference is he/she is seen in third person normally.

Whatever. I want no part in a campaign fueled by bitterness.
Villager has a personality and expressiveness though.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
While I don’t think it’s likely, I would just boycott if Steve got in. But you should buy the actual game though. Play as Lip online and all that jazz. Just, y’know, not buy the DLC you don’t like, dislike them trailers, etc.
I'd rather not talk about Steve more than I have to since I'm worried I might drive people away, but if he's in the game, then even if I don't buy the DLC, I will still see him online and I'll still be reminded of the development time and resources that could have gone into Lip.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd rather not talk about Steve more than I have to since I'm worried I might drive people away, but if he's in the game, then even if I don't buy the DLC, I will still see him online and I'll still be reminded of the development time and resources that could have gone into Lip.
Ah. Well, I don’t play online, but don’t people just play the same few characters that are high-tier? I wouldn’t worry about Steve being high tier with them Minecraft animations.

Although imagine the cathartic feeling of your Lip Mii beating up that blockhead!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
It is starting to feel like Smash has become very commercial. Joker especially feels this way, not even hailing from Nintendo systems like Final Fantasy did. I think Snake started that trend but at least classic Metal Gear was Nintendo. Joker probably hints at more characters that are Playstation or Microsoft exclusive. Hopefully Persona 5 does come to the Nintendo Switch at some point.

I do wish for less 3rd parties. I'm in a weird fatigue where I'm sick of seeing them. I'd rather see more Nintendo characters. Banjo-Kazooie is one of the few characters I do care about though.

As for Lip, I don't think it'll happen with DLC but maybe with Smash 6. If we can just get people to support her as the next puzzle/retro rep, I'm sure people would hop on board.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't even have a problem with the idea of third-party fighters, but I don't feel like they should be just anyone. They should have a huge amount of relevance to Nintendo as a company, or to video game culture in general. Joker doesn't have either of that--he's just from a good game that a lot of people like. I'm sure he'll be a fine character, but he sets a worrying precedent.

Here's something to lighten the mood a bit. @Taigiry took some ortho screen shots of the Lip costume, so we can admire it without a goofy Mii face distracting from it:

And a comparison:

It looks... well, good. Really good. It's nice to have an on-model reference for her hair in 3D finally. But looking at it makes me feel a little sad all the same. As good as it looks, at the end of the day, it's not Lip, it's someone else dressed as her. It's a good second place, but I don't want to settle for it, you know?

Maybe someone could rip the costume parts and use them to finally make a semi-official 3D model of Lip? Just a thought... : )

Last edited:

KahunaLagoona DX

Smash Cadet
Man I hate to just jump in and sign my support for Lip (even though it might seem pointless) when it feels like such a heavy time. (Especially because I DO plan on using the Mii Swordfighter costume...)

That being said, Panel De Pon definitely needs a revival. I was upset that Lip was confirmed as a spirit, thinking at least she could be considered the 'retro' rep of this game but meh...

At the very least they need to get the series moving again. The general gaming climate as it stands shows that the setting of the series can work well enough regardless, but hey what do I know, just a little over two years ago they dumped Panel De Pon into Animal Crossing as free DLC for a series that most people were sick of the latest entry in less than a year...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Man I hate to just jump in and sign my support for Lip (even though it might seem pointless) when it feels like such a heavy time. (Especially because I DO plan on using the Mii Swordfighter costume...)

That being said, Panel De Pon definitely needs a revival. I was upset that Lip was confirmed as a spirit, thinking at least she could be considered the 'retro' rep of this game but meh...

At the very least they need to get the series moving again. The general gaming climate as it stands shows that the setting of the series can work well enough regardless, but hey what do I know, just a little over two years ago they dumped Panel De Pon into Animal Crossing as free DLC for a series that most people were sick of the latest entry in less than a year...
Don't feel too upset about it. If things don't work out for the DLC, then we'll push for Smash 6. In fact, let's get started on that now, even though we don't know what the DLC will be like, just so we won't feel like our support for the DLC was wasted.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Lip might gain a little more traction once the DLC.is out and it's time to throw support for the next game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hey guys. I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but I might as well bring it up here:

It turns out my hopes that the Nintendo Switch Online would be our first were a little too optimistic. This week, the service in Japan added three games, as normal: Zelda II, Chowakusei Senki Metafight (aka Blaster Master), and Joy Mech Fight. Guess which one mysteriously vanished when it came time to implement this update for Western territories.

Seems Murasame Castle and TwinBee were just flukes, brought around because there was no Japanese text to localize. Because of this, Panel de Pon may not see an official release over here if the SNES is ever implemented into Nintendo's online service, and thus we will be forced to jump through hoops to create a Japanese eShop account just to be able to legally play it over here.

I just don't get Nintendo sometimes. It seems like they think if we didn't get a game, then we should never get that game unless it's remade somehow. Why are they so averse to just letting us play a game with cute anime fairies in it?

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but I might as well bring it up here:

It turns out my hopes that the Nintendo Switch Online would be our first were a little too optimistic. This week, the service in Japan added three games, as normal: Zelda II, Chowakusei Senki Metafight (aka Blaster Master), and Joy Mech Fight. Guess which one mysteriously vanished when it came time to implement this update for Western territories.

Seems Murasame Castle and TwinBee were just flukes, brought around because there was no Japanese text to localize. Because of this, Panel de Pon may not see an official release over here if the SNES is ever implemented into Nintendo's online service, and thus we will be forced to jump through hoops to create a Japanese eShop account just to be able to legally play it over here.

I just don't get Nintendo sometimes. It seems like they think if we didn't get a game, then we should never get that game unless it's remade somehow. Why are they so averse to just letting us play a game with cute anime fairies in it?
Not if we ask for it.

If we are more vocal about getting the game localized over here, I think it will happen. But one person being vocal won't do anything. We need to get the ball rolling. We need more than one person on social media asking Nintendo to do God's work and officially localize Panel de Pon to the states.

That's the only way we'll ever see that day happen. If we just sit around silently and not say anything, there's no way for them to know we even exist.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Oh come on! Really? I would have loved to play Joy Mech Fight with friends and introduce them to it.

I get they might not want to translate the story text, but at least ****ing release the game as is, Nintendo!

I wouldn’t lose hope for the future yet (this is still 2-to-1 in our favor) but this very much sucks.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Not if we ask for it.

If we are more vocal about getting the game localized over here, I think it will happen. But one person being vocal won't do anything. We need to get the ball rolling. We need more than one person on social media asking Nintendo to do God's work and officially localize Panel de Pon to the states.

That's the only way we'll ever see that day happen. If we just sit around silently and not say anything, there's no way for them to know we even exist.
I agree. But what do we say, or do? I am willing to participate.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I agree. But what do we say, or do? I am willing to participate.
Do what Metroid and Mothee fans do. Ask on Social Media.

*Don't spam under the same posts. If you see Nintendo post something on Instagram, YouTube, or Twitter then mention Panel de Pon. Even if it's unrelated. That way Nintendo will know we exist. If you see anyone else mention Panel de Pon, like and comment under that post to give it more attention.*

That is the only way we can get our series back in the light. If we just talk among ourselves in our little corner of the internet, Nintendo will only focus on what's being requested and not care about a word we say.

Honestly, this is a team effort. If only 3 of us are openly supporting Lip, we'll never get any traction. But if we can get like a solid 10 of people who aren't afraid of stepping outside of this corner, we'll get Panel de Pon back almost definitely.

Getting Lip playable in Smash will be the biggest jump for her.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Hello there, I like to join in the support for Lip.
I've always been a fan of cute characters like her and her stick is one of the few items I really like, I think it would be nice to see her in Smash or even get more recognition for her series.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

Somebody tell me why any of us should believe some random 5channel user? ESPECIALLY since they've also gone back on their word? replacing two of four characters they originally said would be in as DLC?

This "leak" is FAKE AF!! No need fo worries y'all~ :shades:

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I've been away for too long. Happy New Year.
I'm glad to see there's still support for Lip and that your efforts haven't died down. On the note of recent news, the supposed DLC picks are exactly what I feared: 3rd parties and on the basis of promoting recent games and whatnot. And I'll say it again, I do like Minecraft, but Steve is the least important aspect of the game and if he gets in somehow someway, there's a rumor that he'll get a Master Chief skin and a Banjo skin, and based on everything since 11/1, I can see them trying to push that damn skin as the real thing.

Now THAT would make for a massive hit below the belt. Not only NOT going for Banjo, but having Banjo a la an alt for Steve? I already seeing it happening if Nintendo picked the DLC. But nonetheless, I admire this thread and the Issac thread for pushing for new games. And on a related note with Joy Mech Fight, it's choices like that that kept Takamaru from being in the roster. NoA's boneheaded moves are costing us potential reps. This is the time where you have to get loud. Project Rainfall got us Xenoblade and Shulk. Maybe it's time for a second chapter of that.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
And on a related note with Joy Mech Fight, it's choices like that that kept Takamaru from being in the roster. NoA's boneheaded moves are costing us potential reps. This is the time where you have to get loud. Project Rainfall got us Xenoblade and Shulk. Maybe it's time for a second chapter of that.
It is! Do whatever you can to let people know about Lip, about Popplus, about Panel de Pon, and how much they mean to us and how much we want to see them again. With any luck, we'll recruit more voices into our group, and we'll get even bigger and louder than we already are. (But remember not to get angry!)

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
It is! Do whatever you can to let people know about Lip, about Popplus, about Panel de Pon, and how much they mean to us and how much we want to see them again. With any luck, we'll recruit more voices into our group, and we'll get even bigger and louder than we already are. (But remember not to get angry!)
This.

Be happy vocal, not angry vocal. Spread Panel de Pon to people in a positive light.

I think the costumes in both Animal Crossing and Smash Bros are good signs they still have Lip on their mind. Which is great because she's in our minds too.

I do not think there is a better time to spread support for Lip and Panel de Pon than right now.

One thing we should heavily focus on is increasing our numbers. Not only that but come up with some Panel de Pon conversation topics as well.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It'd be great to come up with new topics of conversation for Lip and Panel de Pon. The more we're talking about them, the more they are on people's minds.

Here's a topic that's been on my mind lately: If Lip starred in a classic platformer game, like the kind you would see on the SNES or PS1, what would its main gimmick be? What would the gameplay revolve around? Would it be heavy on plot or very light?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It'd be great to come up with new topics of conversation for Lip and Panel de Pon. The more we're talking about them, the more they are on people's minds.

Here's a topic that's been on my mind lately: If Lip starred in a classic platformer game, like the kind you would see on the SNES or PS1, what would its main gimmick be? What would the gameplay revolve around? Would it be heavy on plot or very light?
I'm not sure what the gameplay would revolve around — perhaps a gimmick about making plants grow — but given that Panel de Pon bothered to have a plot twist, I doubt that a platforming spinoff would have a bare-bones, minimalist plot.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I can see Panel de Pon being a platformer similar to Monster World IV or Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures. Given the large cast, you could go the route of Nankoku Shounen Papuwa-Kun with some mild story.

Maraich

Smash Rookie
Hi! I'd like to support Lip for Super Smash Bros.
Ever since I played Panel de Pon and Nintendo Puzzle Collection I thought that Lip would make a perfect fit
for Super Smash Bros. I love the world and character designs of that series and I really hope Nintendo revives it
someday. A Nintendo Puzzle Collection remake for Switch with online functionality would just make my day. :D

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ever since I played Panel de Pon and Nintendo Puzzle Collection I thought that Lip would make a perfect fit
for Super Smash Bros. I love the world and character designs of that series and I really hope Nintendo revives it
someday. A Nintendo Puzzle Collection remake for Switch with online functionality would just make my day. :D
Then you are pretty much like me!
Welcome aboard, nice to have you here! :)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It makes me happy to see new faces come on even after the trash fire that was Ultimate speculation (for us, at least). Welcome to the group!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Honestly, I think Ultimate Speculation was the best.
It was shorter than the other times. We did infact get a lot of justice for Lip and Panel De Pon. We held through together, and has been planning a movement to make Panel De Pon back on the map! I think it was great.

Maraich

Smash Rookie
Then you are pretty much like me!
Welcome aboard, nice to have you here! :)
Thank you, guys! It's nice to be here!
I've been a fan of Lip for a long time and it's nice to see
that she's getting some more recognition through her Spirit and Mii Fighter costume in Ultimate.
Even though she is among the more obscure characters I really do hope that she can make it
some day. :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
so yo, i've been playing Mii Brawler and Mii Swordfighter recently with the Nia/Lip costume. And dude. I love playing as them. Somehow today, I've begun to accept Mii costumes for what they are. Maybe it's the voice changer that plays a part of that acceptance. Somehow, now it feels like a dream come true that I can match-up Lip against tons of Nintendo characters, even if its far from the original source material.

(Now if only there was a Prince Sable costume)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Interesting...very interesting.

Don't get your hopes up too high--remember that Joy Mech Fight had every opportunity to be brought over with Switch Online, but wasn't. Sure, all you'd need to do if they pass up the opportunity to finally give Panel de Pon an official Western release is get a Japanese eShop account, and that's not too hard...but it still feels like jumping through hoops to me.

so yo, i've been playing Mii Brawler and Mii Swordfighter recently with the Nia/Lip costume. And dude. I love playing as them. Somehow today, I've begun to accept Mii costumes for what they are. Maybe it's the voice changer that plays a part of that acceptance. Somehow, now it feels like a dream come true that I can match-up Lip against tons of Nintendo characters, even if its far from the original source material.
Lip's Mii costume is great, but I've already given my thoughts on it. It's a nice consolation prize, but I won't be satisfied until we get the real Lippy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll give my opinion on the Mii costume another time, when I feel better, but for now, here's an early WIP. I kept it hidden until I made good enough progress. I think that's the case by now, so I might as well ask for some feedback on what can be improved.
I already know about the eyes and mouth, those will be adjusted later, my biggest problem is... I really have no idea what to do with the skirt so I'm going to ask here. The costume has the bottom just be a flat plane, which looks ridiculously ugly, that's something you'd see during the early 3d era. But I dunno what to do here. Keep it? Change it? And if so, how? Help?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
If it's just a flat plane you could try copying it and placing another plane on the bottom of it to make it seem thicker. But your model looks much nicer now, I'm impressed.

D

Deleted member

Just to clarify, when I say "flat plane", I'm talking about it looking like this, something you'd see on an N64/PS1 model:
And by looking at it in wireframe mode, it's also clear that the legs aren't even connected to the body.
Now, I get why this was done, short skirt + high mobility character, but... it's just so ridiculously ugly and kind of lazy even. Instead of looking for a nicer looking solution, they just filled it and left it like this.

In fact, when I made the custom model, the skirt was the part I had the most trouble with. I didn't want to do what Nintendo did here, but on the other hand, she has a pretty short skirt, almost comparable to Amy Rose (still longer than Captain Rainbow's). So I settled for a compromise by making her skirt slightly longer and way more narrow. Finding the right balance was tough. But obviously that falls into artistic liberty and I'm not sure how many liberties I wanna with this one.

Maybe I'm also just overthinking it, but I'm really undecided what to do here. I could leave it like it is or I could change it, But then, how would I change it, I'm really not sure what the best course of action would be here.

Top Bottom