• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I hope the Lip spirit will be able to introduce new people to her, Western players specifically. For them she's probably not any different than your Goku & Chao or your Ayumi, but maybe she'll catch some player's attention. Maybe they'll recognize her wand, and go "huh, that's neat," and look into her series some more.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Recently Nintendo has released SP Special versions of Dr. Mario & Metroid. Dr. Mario starts the game at Hi, Level 20 while Metroid starts around the location you battle Ridley. So SP Special versions are not only specifically for max stats in games but a highlight of a game.

Maybe Nintendo will release a SP Special version of Pokémon de Panepon where you automatically start the game in the hidden Panel de Pon GB easter egg? This would officially give Lip an official confirmation that she appears outside of Japan that is not in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Since people don't put any weight on this one obscure reference to any count certainly due to Nintendo not mentioning this at all.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I hope so. With a recent announcement heavily implying that DLC character #2 is Travis Touchdown, and likely also confirming my suspicions that all of the DLC in Ultimate will be one big third-party realistic human circlejerk, we'd need all the good news we can get.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I hope so. With a recent announcement heavily implying that DLC character #2, and likely also confirming my suspicions that all of the DLC in Ultimate will be one big third-party realistic human circlejerk, we'd need all the good news we can get.
Persona 5's art style isn't even realistic.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's realistically proportioned, which is what I meant.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I hope so. With a recent announcement heavily implying that DLC character #2, and likely also confirming my suspicions that all of the DLC in Ultimate will be one big third-party realistic human circlejerk, we'd need all the good news we can get.
What recent announcement?

My statements made a month ago made about Lip's Mii costume are right. The only two that look even better as Mii costumes are the Skull Kid and Ray MKIII ones (of which their faces are covered, so it does not even look like they are Miis). As it stands, the Lip costume is absolutely fantastic especially considering the Mii has the same proportions as the artwork for Lip's spirit (and online avatar) in Ultimate.

Lip did extremely well for a Japan-only retro character that up until this point only had passing references through her main means of attack (her flower baton/Lip's Stick), the remix of her theme introduced in Brawl, and the sticker of her in Brawl and Spirit in Ultimate. Receiving a Mii costume is an absolutely fantastic promotion for her. She was also the only C/D-list Nintendo character without an Assist Trophy to have an available avatar for online.

You should be a lot happier with how the character ended up being treated in Ultimate. She ended up doing far better than I expected her to, especially when you consider the last stand alone release for Panel de Pon was back in 2007.

At this point if you want Lip to get in Smash Bros. you should instead be petitioning for a new Panel de Pon game to be made. The mini-game in Animal Crossing showed that they have not forgotten about the character (or Lip either if the outfit is any indication).

Lip receiving a Mii costume which is very well made is a tremendous victory for fans of the character.

I will say though I am personally disappointed there was not any new Panel de Pon remixes made for Ultimate though (this was my main hope for Panel de Pon content going back to the beginning of the pre-Smash 4 days).

As for DLC, its likely going to be "shock" third-party characters, and I think aside from possibly Banjo-Kazooie, all of the characters are not going to be ones that were heavily or moderately requested by the core Smash Bros. fanbase, or especially not Nintendo characters (I think Banjo and maybe Geno are the only two left with a shot that you could consider Nintendo characters).

I think if you still have hope for Lip being part of the roster for Ultimate, the only avenue left I see for her is if Arle somehow gets in among the last four remaining DLC fighters, and they decide to make Lip an echo fighter of Arle. Otherwise, I think the door is closed for Nintendo newcomers for DLC for the most part.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, you can believe what you want. I'm going to hold on to that last bit of hope I have remaining that Lip will get her dues in the Ultimate Smash game. And if she doesn't...well, I guess there's always next console generation. Honestly, getting both a Mii costume and a spirit battle that shows it off...that's huge all on its own.

Petitioning for a new Panel de Pon, huh? Good thing that's exactly what I'm doing.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Weren't Cloud and Bayonetta announced fairly close to one another? Even if they weren't, Suda51 and Sakurai are good personal friends the last I heard, so I wouldn't rule a Smash announcement out.

StormC

Smash Hero
Weren't Cloud and Bayonetta announced fairly close to one another? Even if they weren't, Suda51 and Sakurai are good personal friends the last I heard, so I wouldn't rule a Smash announcement out.
They were announced a month apart, not two weeks, and certainly not at the very start of the DLC cycle.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
They were announced a month apart, not two weeks, and certainly not at the very start of the DLC cycle.
Well, we'll see. I'm hoping for someone I'm a little more involved in, since No More Heroes doesn't interest me at all, but I know Travis has a healthy fan base who will be very happy if he's in.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
As luck would have it, the latest Splatoon 2 Splatfest is Smash Bros.-themed. That gave me the opportunity to draw two of my favorite leading Nintendo ladies together for Inkopolis Plaza:

Nice work!
Also found this on Twitter

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Aww, what a good Lip! Kind of overshadows what I've done even.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
This is the location where you find Lip, as said previously its around the Pac-Maze area. But its around the left of it.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
This might sound greedy but I wish some of the other fairies were spirits as well, to get more PdP exposures.
I mean Brawl did have other fairies as stickers.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
This might sound greedy but I wish some of the other fairies were spirits as well, to get more PdP exposures.
The only way they would add Spirits is for celebrating some event but only if really they intend on releasing PdP overseas or else there's not much reason to bother. There's also a "Panel" sticker in Brawl which would also counts as part of the Panel de Pon Series.

I've also tested using Kirby's Stone move in the World of Light in the Lip battle and it does not specifically force Kirby to only transform as the Garbage Block. So the Stone transformation is not affected at all.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Then again, why would it be? Seems like an awfully big thing to code for just one event.

I still feel like all these Lip cameos are building up to something personally.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Yeah....
Plus the fairies already have elements and attributes to them. Spirit battles for the fairies would’ve been neat.
Windy: (Foe-Peach)
- Strong Winds blow during battle
- Opponent has a Gust Bellow

Sherbet: (Foe-Ice Climbers)
- Icy Floor
- The opponent holds a freezie at the beginning of battle
- The opponent prefers using down B and neutral B

Thiana: (Foe-Female Villager)
- The opponent prefers to use down special
- The opponent heals regularly

Flare: (Foe-Roy)
- Lava Floor
- The power of opponents Fire moves go up
- When at lethal damage, the opponents attack rises

LEGEND Cordelia: (Foe-Palutena w/ Jigglypuff/Kirby)
- Palutena is giant
- Stamina Battle
- When at lethal damage, Palutena’s attack and speed rise
- Palutena’s up smash has a boost in power
- Jigglypuff and Kirby are small

Just some random ideas for more PdP spirit battles I imagined.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Lip.png

I'm really proud about the representation she and Panel De Pon has gotten in Ultimate.
While she has had a lot of great things going for her, I'm not as optimistic about the chances of this actually happening, BUT, I still would love to see Lip playable, therefore, I had, and wanted to create this as well.

Panel De Pon is just one of those amazing games that you just connect with. The formula of a good puzzle in every regard.
It's fast, tricky and lots of fun. I've first encountered the series through Pokémon Puzzle League on the N64 and was instantly hooked.
Not just because of the puzzle, but because of Pokémon (being a 90's kid, Pokémon was my childhood). After a while replaying the game, and feeling the hunger for more, I searched for it's roots, and came across Panel De Pon and the other spin-offs with Pokémon and Yoshi, and loved all 3.

From there, I've been dying to see more PdP representation within Smash.
While I've never been the type who liked fairies and other cutsy creatures, Lip as a concept for Smash really fits, and would be fun.
She is headstrong, and got a promising story, which indeed should be expanded upon.

And, being very hard going for Lip during this Smash Speculation, I think there is at it's right to also want her as DLC, even if the odds are slim.
She is one of those characters that I've held in high regards along King K. Rool during this speculation, and I won't just drop her just yet, but I must say, again, that I'm really happy about the overall representation of Lip as a character for Smash Ultimate, but would love more Panel De Pon. (Maybe in an update?)

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
You know, now that we're able to use Mii fighters in ranked online, I was thinking it would be a great idea to send an army of Lip miis out there to spread awareness of her in Smash. We're sort of able to play as her and it'd be a good idea to show that there's a demand for her.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You know, now that we're able to use Mii fighters in ranked online, I was thinking it would be a great idea to send an army of Lip miis out there to spread awareness of her in Smash. We're sort of able to play as her and it'd be a good idea to show that there's a demand for her.
I love this idea! Make sure to use the Lip profile icon too, to show your support.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing I like about Lip's Mii Outfit is that there is finally a good reference for her hair. It was one of the few things I struggled with when making her model.
Here's hoping someone will rip her Mii outfit soon so I'll be able to make a more accurate looking 3D model for her.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
At Luigifan18's suggestion, I tried making a Classic Mode sequence for Lip. Check it out and let me know what you think.

The thing I like about Lip's Mii Outfit is that there is finally a good reference for her hair. It was one of the few things I struggled with when making her model.
Here's hoping someone will rip her Mii outfit soon so I'll be able to make a more accurate looking 3D model for her.
Yep, there's a positive. Having a good, official reference for how her model works in 3D is really a godsend.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
If they were to choose another Spirit for Panel de Pon, I think it would be Kain only because he represents the 2nd game well if you c
Yeah....
Plus the fairies already have elements and attributes to them. Spirit battles for the fairies would’ve been neat.
Windy: (Foe-Peach)
- Strong Winds blow during battle
- Opponent has a Gust Bellow

Sherbet: (Foe-Ice Climbers)
- Icy Floor
- The opponent holds a freezie at the beginning of battle
- The opponent prefers using down B and neutral B

Thiana: (Foe-Female Villager)
- The opponent prefers to use down special
- The opponent heals regularly

Flare: (Foe-Roy)
- Lava Floor
- The power of opponents Fire moves go up
- When at lethal damage, the opponents attack rises

LEGEND Cordelia: (Foe-Palutena w/ Jigglypuff/Kirby)
- Palutena is giant
- Stamina Battle
- When at lethal damage, Palutena’s attack and speed rise
- Palutena’s up smash has a boost in power
- Jigglypuff and Kirby are small

Just some random ideas for more PdP spirit battles I imagined.
A Kain Spirit Battle would obviously be Roy, using his green alt but he would the battle start as Incineroar takes place on the Final Destination stage. If there was a 2nd spirit character to choose for Panel de Pon representation, it would be Kain he represents NPC Panel de Pon's sequel the best as a Furil Spirit, wouldn't add anything new. He would also give people a better idea that Panel de Pon was developed by Intelligent Systems.
Kain.png

I think Flare's Spirit battle would be another character, so Charizard would fit best for her since she is shown to shoot fire. Charizard's attacks consists with a lot of fire attacks.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's hard to think of what a Flare spirit would fight like, since so few humanoid characters in this game use fire. Maybe a female Robin using the red costume (the female Robin does have the red costume, right?) that favors the side-B.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As I've posted on that thread, I'm quite surprised Palutena isn't a part of your Classic Mode thing for Lip, considering how she could very easily represent Cordelia and all.
Well, a Classic Mode can only be eight stages long as far as I'm aware, and one of those has to be a bonus game. Obviously some characters are going to fall by the wayside.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to think of what a Flare spirit would fight like, since so few humanoid characters in this game use fire. Maybe a female Robin using the red costume (the female Robin does have the red costume, right?) that favors the side-B.
Could have a spicy curry female villager

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas fellow Panel de Pon fans.
It'd be perfect to get Lip for smash as present this year

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; double posting
Merry Christmas. Also, made a 1st party Smash 6 poll so support your favorite fairy!

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77334201?jumpto=6#6

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77340690

Yet another poll where Lip is holding up suprisingly well against one of Smash's big boy request.

I think if there is any better time to start the support for Lip being the retro/puzzle rep of Smash 6, it's now. Lets be the ones who get a head start in the support and continue supporting her for DLC.

I'm getting good as Mii Swordfighter online so I can start repping Lip as often as I can.

We can get her in as playable. I know we can!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's the spirit! We should all be optimistic for Lippy to get into Smash 6, if she's not DLC here. If we push hard enough, I know something good could happen.

Also check out this amazing Lip artwork courtesy of CarlesS_21 on Twitter:

My favorite is the one in the middle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom