• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
That ending....how Mario says he’s going to see Lip again...how Lip says she wishes she could ‘fight’ alongside her friends...I wonder...

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That ending....how Mario says he’s going to see Lip again...how Lip says she wishes she could ‘fight’ alongside her friends...I wonder...
It looked like it was all over, and then Ganondorf stole the Light Jewel again. I have a feeling it's not quite over.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I probably won't get a chance to watch this until later tonight, so if no one minds me asking... this didn't end on a depressing note, did it? I know this might sound silly, but Galeem doesn't show up here, does he? Considering how Lip appears in Smash Ultimate as a Spirit, and someone on this thread even joked about this happening...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I probably won't get a chance to watch this until later tonight, so if no one minds me asking... this didn't end on a depressing note, did it? I know this might sound silly, but Galeem doesn't show up here, does he? Considering how Lip appears in Smash Ultimate as a Spirit, and someone on this thread even joked about this happening...
I was the one who made that reference, and no, Galeem didn’t show up. We didn't even get to hear Lifelight.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
This part is a bit sad from what I've seen...

I was the one who made that reference, and no, Galeem didn’t show up. We didn't even get to hear Lifelight.
Well I asked him in the comments in his previous video about Lip being a Spirit in Smash Ultimate and...

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
For whatever reason whenever i think of Lip coming to smash i picture Fauster from Wario woods to be revealed with her i guess thats because of the heroes vs villains theme even though they are not from the same franchise both are puzzel reps one a hero and the other is a villain both having unique puzzel playstyle that represent the puzzel games

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
An interesting surprise courtesy of, of all places, the Switch online service: One of the games added to the Nintendo Entertainment System software available to subscribers is the Famicom port of TwinBee. As you can probably guess from my use of the term "Famicom" and not "NES", this game was never released internationally in its day. In fact, as far as I know, it even missed the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles. This means that being (formerly) Japan-only is not a barrier to being included on their streaming game service like some people theorized!

If, and when, they get around to releasing SNES games on that service...I wonder if somebody else will make her debut.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
You know what to do.
I did not expect it to continue, I truly thought this was the final episode. I think he's enjoys making these videos. More content for us at least.
An interesting surprise courtesy of, of all places, the Switch online service: One of the games added to the Nintendo Entertainment System software available to subscribers is the Famicom port of TwinBee. As you can probably guess from my use of the term "Famicom" and not "NES", this game was never released internationally in its day. In fact, as far as I know, it even missed the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles. This means that being (formerly) Japan-only is not a barrier to being included on their streaming game service like some people theorized!

If, and when, they get around to releasing SNES games on that service...I wonder if somebody else will make her debut.
I just looked it up and TwinBee looks really fun, why can't fun games ever be released outside of Japan? We missed so many goodies like TwinBee, Muramase Castle, (The Old) Fire Emblem, etc.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I did not expect it to continue, I truly thought this was the final episode. I think he's enjoys making these videos. More content for us at least.

I just looked it up and TwinBee looks really fun, why can't fun games ever be released outside of Japan? We missed so many goodies like TwinBee, Muramase Castle, (The Old) Fire Emblem, etc.
The number of Bomberman games we missed in the US is staggering. Seriously, WTF, HudsonSoft.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman

Because....NoA. Just NoA.
Hopefully this means that they’re done being so stingy when it comes to this.
And I do hope one of those games later down the road is PdP. If it happens soon, it may actually boost her chances as DLC for Ultimate.
Dare I also say....it may mean.....Mother 3.
The second that’s shown, I know A LOT of people are going to swarm for the online service. (Myself included, PdP and Mother 3? Hell to the yes.)

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Because....NoA. Just NoA.
Hopefully this means that they’re done being so stingy when it comes to this.
And I do hope one of those games later down the road is PdP. If it happens soon, it may actually boost her chances as DLC for Ultimate.
Dare I also say....it may mean.....Mother 3.
The second that’s shown, I know A LOT of people are going to swarm for the online service. (Myself included, PdP and Mother 3? Hell to the yes.)
Unless they specifically included her to advertise Panel de Pon on the SNES online service, which would mean that SNES games must come out sometime in 2018. I also hope they may release Panel de Pon GB if they have it within its finished, unaltered state. However, I haven't found any Japanese text in the original Famicom version of the game and this one has no changes but I'm pretty sure Nintendo can make some rom alterations to Pdp.
Anyone wondering since Twin Bee never had an NES version, they actually created a custom boxart for the game! Maybe Panel de Pon can get a custom American one when that game gets released on the service.
Screenshot 2018-11-17 at 7.38.07 PM.png

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I hope so. It'd be so cool to see Panel de Pon get its own SNES-style box art.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Although I swear to everything, if they give us the Yoshi version....
There’s gonna be hell to pay.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Its possible it can be a SP Version with the title screen changed, but they should inform them that its part of the Pdp brand instead.
But still, they have yet to re-release any Satellaview games if they were going to resort to the Japanese version so...
of course the original Pdp should be released first.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Wait, Twinbee never made it out of Japan? I played the stuffing out of a pirated copy of that, but I always thought it had come out at least in Europe.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
In a perfect world, should the online service ever get to add SNES games, and Panel de Pon gets selected as one of the games for the service, then there should be an option to select which version of the game you want, the original fairy version or the one with all the Yoshi characters. Remember, even though we Lip fans see the removal the fairies from the international release as a negative, people over here still grew up with the Yoshi version, and likely have fond memories of it. Some might be discouraged from playing PdP with its original aesthetic with no choice to play the other one, and there might even be an outrage over it. So having both versions at once would be just perfect.

Alas, I feel like we'd only be getting the Yoshi version internationally...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Guys? John Dylan Smith is raising a heck of a stink over in the General Discussion thread. We don't need him here.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
In a perfect world, should the online service ever get to add SNES games, and Panel de Pon gets selected as one of the games for the service, then there should be an option to select which version of the game you want, the original fairy version or the one with all the Yoshi characters. Remember, even though we Lip fans see the removal the fairies from the international release as a negative, people over here still grew up with the Yoshi version, and likely have fond memories of it. Some might be discouraged from playing PdP with its original aesthetic with no choice to play the other one, and there might even be an outrage over it. So having both versions at once would be just perfect.

Alas, I feel like we'd only be getting the Yoshi version internationally...
It's still worth noting that Japan got both the Yoshi variant and Fairies, but the Yoshi version via Satellaview which they have yet to re-release any exclusive games on that service. So its possible that all regions can have both versions.

Not releasing the original Panel de Pon outside of Japan feels very against the idea of Nintendo reintroducing their IPs.

Nintendo would be unable to know if people love the series outside of Japan without any proper fan art, which the Yoshi characters are unable to offer as much within the world they replaced in the game compared to the Fairies.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
A guy who just posted here and apparently has been raising hell over in the General Discussion thread.
Oh....nvm then.
Btw, has anyone ever noticed the extremely awkward position Lip is in now in terms of smash representation and localization of her game?
What I mean by this is that Lip was in Captain Rainbow along with Little Mac and Takamaru. So, she has been associated with them in some way.
Little Mac was an assist in Brawl, got a new game on the Wii, which then led to him being playable in Smash 4. (Which a lot of Japanese people weren’t too fond of, lol.) Takamaru’s game just got straight up released internationally in Japanese, which led to him getting a Mii Outfit and an Assist Trophy, and it seems to be the same way in Ultimate. (Poor guy.)
Lip just became a Mii Outfit, but PdP hasn’t been released internationally, and only made it on the Super Famicom Classic in Japan. Now this would lead to believe it would be possible to just be an assist, but remember she is made by the same company who made Fire Emblem, and we all know how that took off internationally. I know Assist trophies weren’t a thing in Melee, but still, remember that Taka did not make the jump to playable in Ultimate despite the support he got in Smash 4.
Also forgot to add that Chrom was part of Robin’s FS in Smash 4, now he’s playable and his Mii Costume is still here, presumably. And, again, Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Oh....nvm then.
Btw, has anyone ever noticed the extremely awkward position Lip is in now in terms of smash representation and localization of her game?
What I mean by this is that Lip was in Captain Rainbow along with Little Mac and Takamaru. So, she has been associated with them in some way.
Little Mac was an assist in Brawl, got a new game on the Wii, which then led to him being playable in Smash 4. (Which a lot of Japanese people weren’t too fond of, lol.) Takamaru’s game just got straight up released internationally in Japanese, which led to him getting a Mii Outfit and an Assist Trophy, and it seems to be the same way in Ultimate. (Poor guy.)
Lip just became a Mii Outfit, but PdP hasn’t been released internationally, and only made it on the Super Famicom Classic in Japan. Now this would lead to believe it would be possible to just be an assist, but remember she is made by the same company who made Fire Emblem, and we all know how that took off internationally. I know Assist trophies weren’t a thing in Melee, but still, remember that Taka did not make the jump to playable in Ultimate despite the support he got in Smash 4.
There was the Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo update. Murasame was released most likely due to Takamaru's Ninja Castle being in Nintendo Land despite him not appearing, the difference with the ACNL situation is that her name wasn't mentioned.

It's possible that Lip was a Mii outfit due to ballot results but I doubt she was voted as much as Chibi-robo. Another question was that if there was also a decent amount of people outside of Japan who voted for her at the level of characters who had their games released worldwide properly.
The 2nd possible reason is that Lip was the only way to represent the long-running series that was released worldwide despite the assets being represented in Smash which was not released internationally.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The way I see it, with Takamaru's game having reached international waters twice now, all his fanbase needs is a little extra push to get their golden boy playable. And the same goes for us.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Recently Sakurai was interviewed and he said this about Piranha Plant: (Source)
"I’m actually not paying too much focus on the surprise element when we introduce a new fighter. The surprise element quickly fades once the announcement has been made. Rather, I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct? Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well. And, I want to make sure to remind everyone that it is a limited-time offer fighter everyone can get for free as an early-purchase bonus."

It also seems he lined up PP, with Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog who people considered retro reps but he also said that there are also more characters offered outside of the ones mentioned. (Marth, Roy, Ness, Shulk) I think they might not have a term for retro reps as Takamaru was considered but dismissed. (lack of popularity, difference with Pit was that Takamaru's game was released worldwide after the project plan for Sm4sh)

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Y’know, I just noticed that the plot and set up of Spirits mode seems awfully similar to the ‘plot’ of the original Panel de Pon.
The other fighters become brainwashed by Galeem and become possessed by some type of evil spiritual energy, similar to other fairies of the popples falling to Thanatos’s curse. And it’s up to Kirby to save the rest of the characters, similar to how Lip was left to save her friends. Since there are connections between Kirby and Lip, I wonder if the Spirits mode is meant to be an allusion to that...
(More specifically World of Light)

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
It also seems he lined up PP, with Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog who people considered retro reps but he also said that there are also more characters offered outside of the ones mentioned.
Huh? Where does he say this in the article?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Huh? Where does he say this in the article?
I put the quote of what he said in quotations and the ones that aren't are my thoughts on what he said in the article.

As I said, he mentioned PP with those 3 characters that people considered retro reps, but didn't specifically state DH, GW, and ROB those were retro reps but more of the not your average character. I'm pretty sure Wii Fit Trainer fits in that are main characters who aren't a hero/villian archetype.

Wait, Twinbee never made it out of Japan? I played the stuffing out of a pirated copy of that, but I always thought it had come out at least in Europe.
While TwinBee's Famicom version on NSO is the first time that version of the game was released outside of Japan, it was included on the Nintendo 3D Classics series. Yep, the only Japan-only Famicom game that got the Nintendo 3D Classics treatment. (3D Classics Kid Icarus was based off of the FDS version though)

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
New cover someone did for Lip's Theme
https://soundcloud.com/kidmarscat/lipstheme

I should have tried to fake this as one of the datamined Smash songs since that's been happening today.
This marks the first decade without an official new arrangement of Lip's Theme... at least we didn't have one in which she was absent.
Unless if you count the Pdp easter egg in Pokemon de Panepon (PPC) being discovered that had Lip's theme to be a new arrangement but that GB song was made like 20 years ago.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
This marks the first decade without an official new arrangement of Lip's Theme... at least we didn't have one in which she was absent.
Unless if you count the Pdp easter egg in Pokemon de Panepon (PPC) being discovered that had Lip's theme to be a new arrangement but that GB song was made like 20 years ago.
So what?

No, really, so what? You're the only one who cares about this, at all. Everyone is over here pleased as punch that our girl Lippy has finally gotten her first bona-fide physical appearance outside of Japan, and you're sitting over here, ever the complainer, focusing on what we don't have instead of everything we do. Sit down, stop talking, and let people be happy and hopeful about Lip for once.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So what?

No, really, so what? You're the only one who cares about this, at all. Everyone is over here pleased as punch that our girl Lippy has finally gotten her first bona-fide physical appearance outside of Japan, and you're sitting over here, ever the complainer, focusing on what we don't have instead of everything we do. Sit down, stop talking, and let people be happy and hopeful about Lip for once.
Oh, come on, let’s not get aggressive! I can understand the disappointment, there’s so much music from so many games in this one, a remix would have been really nice.

At the end of the day, we’re all gunning for the big prize of Lip in Smash and PdP localized, so it’s not like we’re presching conformism here.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey guys, here is something I think all of you would like to see. I am gonna put it in spoilers because it might be spoiling some bosses that appear in the game.
Edit: Just in case, sorry if this is something that was already revealed before, I have not really kept track with Lip news.
I have no clue why this person thinks this relates to the DLC fighters, but Lip appears among the icons!
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
May not mean anything, but I sure hope it does.

I sure hope Lippy and Shantae can be DLC. Imagine Zero Suit Samus vs. Shantae vs. Sheik vs. Lip. It's the battle of the ponytails for hairstyle supremacy!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
May not mean anything, but I sure hope it does.

I sure hope Lippy and Shantae can be DLC. Imagine Zero Suit Samus vs. Shantae vs. Sheik vs. Lip. It's the battle of the ponytails for hairstyle supremacy!
I would love both of those characters as DLC. Also, something else releting to that other character you mentioned in your post...
Apparently Risky has been found as a spirit through data mining.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, here is something I think all of you would like to see. I am gonna put it in spoilers because it might be spoiling some bosses that appear in the game.
Edit: Just in case, sorry if this is something that was already revealed before, I have not really kept track with Lip news.
I have no clue why this person thinks this relates to the DLC fighters, but Lip appears among the icons!
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Uh....what is that....yellow thing?

Top Bottom