• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fabulous Demon Lord! Ghirahim for Smash Switch

UserKev

Smash Champion
Eh. Dude really needs to be in the list of character supports.​

Welcome to the Ghirahim support thread. The thread of fabulousness.

Need to be specific? Ghirahim is the servant of Demise who reincarnates Ganondorf, debuting in the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Why I choose to make this support thread? Ghirahim is usually dismissed due to his one off role but, Ghirahim doesn't come off as the exact. He's a special case. There's more to him. He just looks relevant and strongly Smash worthy. Who's to say Ghirahim is a one off character when he's been adapted to the role of assist trophy via Smash? This is admitting that isn't the case for every assist trophy, some I just feel have some consideration.

Moveset: This is written in stone. Haha Ghirahim definitely has something to bring. Fancy swordplay, projectiles at the snap of his fingers, personality, and style. Seriously, Ghirahim really does have a heavy source for move set potential if Skyward Sword couldn't be more specific by its self.

May need to add more but this is all I got for now. I'll start a support list if anyone suggests.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I love Ghirahim to death (best Zelda villain imo), but I dunno what his chances are at this point. I would definitely play him if he made it, but I feel his window passed last time and there are other higher priority Zelda characters this time, like Impa or a BotW champion. I guess I'll just stay content with his AT and maining him in HW. Good luck in your support efforts, though!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I love Ghirahim to death (best Zelda villain imo), but I dunno what his chances are at this point. I would definitely play him if he made it, but I feel his window passed last time and there are other higher priority Zelda characters this time, like Impa or a BotW champion. I guess I'll just stay content with his AT and maining him in HW. Good luck in your support efforts, though!
I'm aware. I just made his support thread anyway because why not? Isn't Zelda in Nintendo's top 3 most popular franchises? Its a disgrace how the series hasn't been treated with exceptional consideration. Its something Zelda could definitely get away with.

Like, why not just put them in the game and eventually cut them if anything?

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I was upset that he was only an Assist Trophy in Smash 4 but I enjoyed playing as him in Hyrule Warriors. He has my support.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Oh my favorite Zelda newcomer from the Smash 4 era... I'm so sad that he missed the train...

UserKev

Smash Champion
Oh my favorite Zelda newcomer from the Smash 4 era... I'm so sad that he missed the train...
You can still want the character though. There are way more characters that missed the train but still has support threads. Ghirahim is just too full of life to ultimately dismiss.

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I am definitely a supporter for Ghirahim!

He was my 2nd most wanted newcomer for Smash 4...

And now he's probably my 4th most wanted.
Urbosa replaced him as my 2nd most wanted character. And then Decidueye crept into the number 3 spot!

But I will always be a Ghirahim supporter! I like the idea of a quick-moving lighter villain character!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa supporter here. How you guys feel about a potential Skyward Sword HD remake? It would certain boost the chances of both Ghirahim and Impa.

Skyward Sword was an amazing game so just here to show some love. Ghirahim would indeed be cool to have.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Impa supporter here. How you guys feel about a potential Skyward Sword HD remake? It would certain boost the chances of both Ghirahim and Impa.

Skyward Sword was an amazing game so just here to show some love. Ghirahim would indeed be cool to have.
I never played Skyward Sword duo to the motion controls but, an HD remake could switch things in my favor. Sakurai is really ticking me off as far as Zelda representation. Haha

JCSuperCell

Smash Rookie
So I felt I’d design Ghirahim as a character that’s most likely bait and punish, since his character revolves around underestimating other characters, being generally flashy and flamboyant but loses it when things don’t go his way. So I figured he’d have good neutral, great advantage while pretty awful disadvantage state so he’d be a somewhat pseudo glass cannon, he even says “as long as you telegraph your attacks like the novice you are you’ll never land a blow!”

Ghirahim moveset:

Attributes:
pros:
good combo game
decent projectile(s)
good range
Just being Ghirahim because he’s fabulous
good throws for a long range character
High jumps
Fast faller
Great movement

Cons:
BIG hurtbox (taller than marth and almost as tall as Rosalina.)
Fairly light (sheik or possibly meta knight weight.)
Short range recovery
can struggle a bit to kill outside of combos
combo food

-jab combo: a punch, punch & roundhouse kick combo that he uses against link in his final battle against link in skyward sword.

-Dash attack: Similar to marth’s dash attack and one of his attacks he does in his assist trophy.

-Forward tilt: uses two demons blades, slashes once horizontally then slashes again diagonally upward, hits will combo into each other and the player can choose between use both hits or not, like bayonetta forward tilt in a way. Taken from a boss fight in skyward sword.

-Up tilt: vertical slash with his demon blade, great anti air tool, similar look to cloud’s up smash, except won’t really hit behind him, morely above him. Attack from hyrule warriors during one of his combos in that game.

-Down tilt: downward horizontal slash with his demon blade, a bit like Robin’s down tilt attack, but can still get some combos off of it.

-Forward smash: uses his giant sword that he uses with two hands, in his final boss fight with link in skyward and winds back and slashes Horizontally, would come a bit slowly since it would have absurd kill power.

-Down smash: Summons shadow swords on each side of him from the ground that knock the opponent vertically, would be a get off me tool, but with quite a bit of endlag, comes out relatively quickly, based off an attack in hyrule warriors.

-Up smash: Uses two demon blades and slashes with both of them horizontally, then both are slashed overhead, then both are slashed vertically. Or he can summon a tornado that will drag the enemy down for a follow up, the tornado itself would do VERY little damage, both based off boss fights and a cutscene at the very start of skyward sword respectively. (couldn’t think of much else for up smash.)

-forward air: Ghirahim uses two demon blades and slashes them from opposite sides in front of him, would knock opponents upward to combo off of. Taken from skyward sword In his second and final boss fights with link

-back air: Ghirahim roundhouse kicks behind him, main edgeguarding aerial.

-Up air: Overhead slash with his giant sword, his main kill aerial. Or fires a beam of light above him.

-neutral air: surrounds himself in his “aura” for when he transforms into his true form in his final boss fight in skyward sword (Tried giving him something for an aerial other than sword slashes.) mainly for a get off me and out of shield tool, launches upward.

-Down air: stall then fall with his demon blades, basically the same as corrin, toon link and sheik’s dair, can spike but that’s about it. Taken from skyward sword in his second boss fight with link.

-Grab: grabs with surrounding his hands in purple, electric “aura.”:

-pummel: small electric shock with the electric “aura” (couldn’t think of anything too creative.)

-forward throw: ghirahim casually throws the opponent in front of them, as if he’s casting them aside. Good for positioning off stage and low percent combos only.

-Back throw: levitates the opponent briefly before turning his back, clicking his fingers and throwing them behind him, mainly used like forward throw for positioning but may amount to 50-50s like with forward throw but only at low percents and won’t kill.

-Up throw: Levitates the opponent before launching them upward, like he does to Zelda in one of the last cutscenes of skyward sword. This would be a kill throw but only at pretty high percents, slightly lower percents where marth’s up throw would kill, but a lot later than lucas’ or mewtwo’s would.

-Down throw: Levitates the opponent before violently slamming them into the ground, main combo throw, at low to relatively high percents.

-neutral B: Ghirahim launches knives at the opponent like in skyward sword, can’t be stored with shield button. However, they always remain beside ghirahim as long as the player holds neutral b even while ghirahim’s moving, the knives won’t have hitboxes when being held. Similar to skyward sword.

-Side B: so for this one I couldn’t decide between another projectile or a movement option. For a projectile, It would have ghirahim summon a circular lightning projectile that resembles a skyward strike just like he does in his final boss fight, works like Zero suit’s paralyser, charge can’t be stored but may be fired prematurely or maybe he’d summon a sword and simply throw it at the opponent, like how he does to link when he grabs his sword in boss fights. However for the movement option, I was thinking Ghirahim could perform a pretty short dash that has invincibility at the start, to help him approach characters, space. Thought of this because in skyward sword in ghirahim’s first two boss fights, if you try launching a skyward strike with link at him, he teleports to the side and dodges it, so I thought it’d be a cool idea. Can be used off stage to help recover, but can’t reset on hit like sheik’s bouncing fish.

-Up B: simple teleport recovery, that goes the distance of sheik’s vanish, can be edge-cancelled and can even be acted out of at the end to use an aerial before going into free fall for combos on stage mainly. However the teleport will have no hitbox at all itself and if ghirahim were to use an attack when teleporting to the ledge immediately after, he’ll go into free fall and die off stage.

-down b: either the movement option mentioned earlier or a counter that when triggered instead of doing direct damage, Ghirahim disables the last move he countered for a short time (around 3 seconds?) would have a range like witch time but won’t slow down or stun anyone, only disable the move ghirahim countered, so it can’t be abused against projectiles, only disables the move after the full animation of the opponent’s move that was just countered is either finished or is interrupted by something like an attack, Ghirahim has very few invincibility frames at the start when he counters the move, about half the invincibility frames bayo gets when she witch times someone. Based off one of his main attacks in his boss fights where, his hand starts glowing and if link strikes the hand at an angle that Ghirahim predicted he clashes with link’s sword and can even take link’s sword and use it against him, felt this was good since it sort of matches his main quote “as long as you telegraph your attacks like the novice you are you’ll never land a blow!” So I wanted to find a way to accurately represent that move, without making it incredibly broken. Or maybe instead of disabling the attack, he can use the attack he just countered as a new down b until he uses it, sort of matches it’s origin in skyward sword where he uses character’s attacks against them like he could do to link’s sword.

-Final Smash: The endless plunge. Ghirahim encases the opponent in a diamond shape trap, then brings the opponent up a few feet by summoning platforms, lifting him and his opponent up a few feet before knocking them off the edge of each of them consecutively, before knocking his opponent to the ground and striking them down with his demon blade. From skyward sword.

-Back roll: Simple leap backward that goes a relatively long distance for a roll

-Forward roll: Ghirahim teleports forward a short distance, sort of like Rosalina’s forward roll.

-Spotdodge: Ghirahim ducks.

Taunts:
-Down taunt: does his summoning ritual dance from a cutscene in skyward, can be cancelled midway like bayonetta’s.

-Up taunt: sits on this while flipping his hair

Costume ideas (pics in order):
-Regular -true form - hyrule warriors costumes (1 example pic). -form without cape -Fi inspired recolour
-vatti inspired recolour -second boss fight form -light spirit inspired recolour -dark ghirahim

Misc.
-emits diamonds when hit like in his boss fights, just attention to detail like they did with bayonetta.

I didn't add percents to anything yet. Apologies for some low rez pics since I can't resize them.

TheCrimsonSquid

Smash Cadet
I made a Ghirahim moveset, since it felt like a missed opportunity to not have him in the game.

Neutral Combo: Ghirahim swings upward with his sword, then swings upward with his other sword, and finally brings both swords down in quick succession.

Side Tilt: Ghirahim raises his sword in the air and briefly summons a fiery diamond barrier directly in front of him.

Up Tilt: Ghirahim conjures a platform directly above his head. While this deals no damage, it does nullify any attack from above. For example, if Ike comes crashing down with Aether, it will register as if he had landed on solid ground, thus ending the attack. Once the attack animation ends, though, the platform disappears.

Down Tilt: Ghirahim performs a kick as he does in the first phase of his final fight.

Neutral Aerial: Ghirahim summons a ring of daggers that spin around him until the animation is complete.

Forward Aerial: Ghirahim swipes straight out with one sword before quickly swiping out with another.

Backward Aerial: Ghirahim snaps his fingers, prompting a bolt of diamond magic to strike down behind him.

Upward Aerial: Ghirahim slashes one sword in an arc above him, and quickly follows suit with his other sword.

Downward Aerial: Ghirahim transforms into his sword form, which sends him falling straight down towards the ground. The attack can’t be cancelled out of, so Ghirahim will remain in this state until he either hits the ground, an opponent, or KOs.

Side Smash: Ghirahim holds his sword skyward and begins charging up a fiery skyward strike. If the smash attack is activated before being fully charged, he’ll simply swing his sword to deliver a below-average smash attack. If it’s fully charged, then the attack will produce a diamond disc projectile. This projectile can be knocked back at Ghirahim, who can also knock it back himself, thus allowing for a game of dead man’s volley to commence.

Up Smash: Ghirahim dances as the attack is charging. Whenever the attack is activated, any nearby opponent he’s facing towards will be thrown upward and into a platform that disappears immediately after contact.

Down Smash: Ghirahim snaps his fingers, causing golden spikes to fall from the sky on either side of him. Exactly how long it takes for the spikes to reach the ground depends on how far Ghirahim is from the top edge of the stage. While they have a small hitbox and boast little knockback, they do have tremendous vertical range.

Dash Attack: Ghirahim brings one sword down diagonally in front of him before slashing up with another.

Grab: Ghirahim holds out his hand, fingers at the ready to catch an attack just as he does in the first phase of his boss fights. If an opponent directly attacks Ghirahim while he’s in this state, he’ll be able to grab them. While this grab has the drawback of requiring that an enemy attack you head-on in order to activate it, this is made up for in that he can hold an enemy in place for far longer than usual and possesses above-average throws.

Pummel: Ghirahim summons a dagger that is sent flying at his opponent.

Forward Throw: Ghirahim summons a barrier to push his opponent outwards.

Backward Throw: Ghirahim snaps his fingers and sends the opponent flying behind him.

Upward Throw: Ghirahim summons his black tornado, which sends his opponent flying upwards.

Downward Throw: Ghirahim throws his opponent down at his feet.

Neutral Special: Can conjure up one of his patented diamond barriers, whether as a horizontal platform to fight on or as a vertical wall to block attacks. These will fade after some time and can be broken.

Side Special: Can summon a line of daggers to fire at enemies. By quickly tapping B, you can have him send out a barrage of single daggers out at a quick pace. By holding down B, you can have a wall of daggers start stacking up to five daggers high, and you can send these flying out in whichever direction you choose.

Up Special: Ghirahim teleports and then reappears up in the air, both swords drawn, falling straight down. This works like the Mii Swordfighter’s Stone Scabbard attack, except without dealing damage on the way up in exchange for more horizontal movement.

Down Special: Ghirahim's hands glow with an electrical aura. This serves as a unique counter of sorts; rather than attack back, Ghirahim stuns his opponent and swaps places with them. Say Ghirahim is standing on the edge of the stage and someone uses a smash attack on him; this would allow him to turn the tables so that THEY'RE standing on the edge of the stage, just like in his final boss fight.

Final Smash: Ghirahim is enveloped in a pillar of black diamonds, transforming into his final form, complete with his Zweihänder. He can take damage, though is immune to knockback. His moveset is simplified in that he can only attack by swinging his weapon forward. If the attack lands, it deals immense damage and knockback.

Taunt 1: Ghirahim delivers his patented b**** slap. Deals minimal damage.

Taunt 2: Ghirahim begins striking a variety of poses, not unlike his victory animation in Hyrule Warriors.

Taunt 3: Ghirahim is furious! Outraged! SICK WITH ANGER!!

Victory 1: Ghirahim performs his signature victory dance.

Victory 2: Ghirahim smirks, flips his hair back, and snaps his fingers before disappearing in a burst of diamonds.

Victory 3: Ghirahim strikes a pose as the camera takes a few different shots of his body before Ghirahim leans into the camera and slurps his tongue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Am I a bit late?

Ha, well either way, I would've loved him for Ultimate.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If we can get Ghirahim in BOTW2, that will give him some serious relevance and a more obvious new face for Smash. I'm kinda expecting him since he can still serve as a aid to Ganondorf in BOTW2. Also, BOTW has a Fi easter egg.

We can hope.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
While I was playing through the HD port of Skyward Sword I took screenshots of all of Ghirahim's attacks during his battles for a moveset I wanted to make.
While I wasn't a big fan of him during my initial playthrough of the Wii version and also not a supporter of him during Smash 4, I noticed while replaying the game that he indeed has quite a lot of interesting methods of attacking and also enough to fill up a complete moveset without having to create a ton of original moves. Ghirahim probably has the biggest moveset potential of any character of the Zelda series, only behind Beast Ganon himself and a hypothetical Link with some of the unused items throughout the series. While his moves wouldn't be terribly unique at this current point of Smash, I think the way they could work and blend together could still make for a fun moveset. This moveset isn't as much of a moveset motivated by support for this character but rather out of curiosity if I could come up with something for him.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lR1NbdBPXW8uYLIfRDq1O9aYFo_eIdAA/view

Ghirahim isn't an important character for the Zelda series as a whole and his time of relevancy has long since passed so there aren't any realistic chances for him to ever be playable in Smash. But if a Smash game ever had character customization on the level of Soulcalibur VI or Tekken Tag 2's Combot, then maybe he could be frankenstein'ed together from moves of many different characters.

Anyway, any kind of thoughts or feeback on my moveset would be welcome.

Top Bottom