• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal only 1 Link Debate!

Which Links Should be In Smash

• Adult General Link

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Adult Classic Link

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adult Link (New Moveset based on BOTW)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Ultimate BOTW Link

• Toon Link

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Toon Link (New Moveset)

• Young Link

• Young Link (Majoras Mask New Moveset)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Young Link (Transforming)

• Oracle Link (classic Link)

• Wolf Link and Midna

• BOTW 2 Link

• Total voters

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So a Big Debate in Smash is the only one Link Debate!
Specifically a ton of people want only this Link:
most of the time tho with maybe a Alt like This:

Execept that presents a HUGE Issue that being i (aswell as tons of others) have less Nostalgia for adult Link
Keep in mind my First Zelda Games were the Oracle ones! And true not every Link Should be in smash that would get Ridicoulous!
But Come on Guys atleast Toon Link (or a other younger link) should be in the Game:

Than theres also the Weirdly Big Group of people wanting 0 Echoes in the Game which is dumb too as Links Smash Moveset/ Weapons Represents Most Links ergo reduces the Ammount of Work Needed Tremendously!
Now Lets Discuss this debate!

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm fine with having more than one Link around, though I also wouldn't any more than Young and Toon. I'm more partial to Toon Link due to the wildly different aesthetic.

If we were to whittle it down to a solo Link, however, I'd actually nominate his Hyrule Warriors design over any other. Maybe axe the scarf, but I dunno - This one seems like a great blend of old and new.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd say cut Young Link and keep Toon Link for the unique aesthetic.

But have TP Link as an echo of current Link. OoT alt would be optional yet preferred.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Adult BOTW Link is a must, and either Young or Toon Link is fine, I have no huge preference to either one of them, even if Toon Link has an extra appearance, both are legacy characters who aren't too likely to get a new entry. Maybe combine Toon and Young Link into one character, and make them Echoes or alts of eachother ? I'm also for the idea of having Ocarina of Time Link as BOTW Link's Echo.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Adult BOTW Link is a must, and either Young or Toon Link is fine, I have no huge preference to either one of them, even if Toon Link has an extra appearance, both are legacy characters who aren't too likely to get a new entry. Maybe combine Toon and Young Link into one character, and make them Echoes or alts of eachother ? I'm also for the idea of having Ocarina of Time Link as BOTW Link's Echo.
Young Link and Toon Link's body shapes are so different that making them alts wouldn't work though.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's funny is that there is a hypothetical Link that could work as a transformation character, whether that's an Ocarina style one that shifts between the child and adult versions (including weapons used) or even a TP variation that goes from normal to wolf form.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno, I think Toon Link could easily appear again. The artstyle is very popular in versatile. I thought it would be done after Spirit Tracks but then came Triforce Heroes.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
And true not every Link Should be in smash that would get Ridicoulous!
Would it really though? All we need is to body types, tall and short. The rest could be done with alternate costumes like the Koopalings. I see no issue at all with implementing his NES, SNES, Toon, Skyward Sword and all the other designs. The only issue at all would be Toon Link's bigger head having some hurtbox issues with the other younger versions of Link. And that can be solved by just making Toon Link's hurt box just slightly smaller than it appears to be (which I'm sure no Toon Link players would actually complain about as it would be a slight buff).

EDIT: Should have read beyond the OP. I see people have talked about exactly that. Well, colour me embarrassed. At least my stance is pretty clear.

To say something that no one has mentioned before though,
That Link used in the OP, is actually the Soul Calibur 2 Link, who is different from the Ocarina of Time Link; and isn't on the poll.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
And that can be solved by just making Toon Link's hurt box just slightly smaller than it appears to be (which I'm sure no Toon Link players would actually complain about as it would be a slight buff).
That is a crime of game design and you know it.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Would it really though? All we need is to body types, tall and short. The rest could be done with alternate costumes like the Koopalings. I see no issue at all with implementing his NES, SNES, Toon, Skyward Sword and all the other designs. The only issue at all would be Toon Link's bigger head having some hurtbox issues with the other younger versions of Link. And that can be solved by just making Toon Link's hurt box just slightly smaller than it appears to be (which I'm sure no Toon Link players would actually complain about as it would be a slight buff).

EDIT: Should have read beyond the OP. I see people have talked about exactly that. Well, colour me embarrassed. At least my stance is pretty clear.

To say something that no one has mentioned before though,

That Link used in the OP, is actually the Soul Calibur 2 Link, who is different from the Ocarina of Time Link; and isn't on the poll.
First usually i include Most 3d Adult Links as skins + a Young Toon Link and well maybe even Chibi Link with Nes Colours Skin!

Yeah buit they both look the same but yeah i put a old oot artwork there are you satisfied?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That is a crime of game design and you know it.
Yeah I gotta agree here.

I understand that several hitboxes are janky and don't look right, but that should never be intentionally done.

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Honestly, I'd be happy if they just gave all 3 Links new, unique movesets, all 3 of them have plenty of source material from their games to work with.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'd be happy if they just gave all 3 Links new, unique movesets, all 3 of them have plenty of source material from their games to work with.
I do feel that Toon Link should have the Deku Leaf. In fact, I think in general the Spin Attack could do with being phased out of Link's special moveset and made his down smash.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I do feel that Toon Link should have the Deku Leaf. In fact, I think in general the Spin Attack could do with being phased out of Link's special moveset and made his down smash.
I Thought about making the Spin Attack his Down Special too!
But Deku Leaf as Up Special doesnt make much sense it makes more sense as a Glide Thingy!

Top Bottom