• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Endless Ocean's Prodigal Diver - 4 Reasons Why Oceana Should Take the Dive Into Smash Bros.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice

Introduction

So, who exactly is Oceana? Oceana Louvier is one of the first characters players meet when they play the 2009 Wii video game titled Endless Oceans: Blue World. An underappreciated gem for the console which has all but faded from relevancy long ago. Now, should an older title like this one deserve to be a part of one of the biggest fighting game out there? I'd say yes, certainly. And here's why.

1.) It Diversifies The Roster.
Endless Ocean is a series about diving and exploring the great blue sea. A game far more grounded in reality than the wacky jumping antics of Mario and Luigi. And it extends to the design of the characters themselves who are made to look like normal human beings as opposed to the cartoonish shapes many other Nintendo characters have.

In addition, a new series to the Smash roster is always welcome. There's a certain fun and uniqueness to the sole representative of a franchise such as Olimar or Shulk. And a game like EO would offer a playstyle that's pretty far out there but also fun in its own right.

And let's talk about gender diversity for a moment. Based on current reveals, Ultimate's base game has 12 fully female characters. (Inkling, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Corrin are counted as half.) That's the size of the very first Smash game's entire roster. But we really have less. ZSS and Sheik are canonically just Samus and Zelda respectively putting us at 10. Dark Samus is composed of some weird blue material and is more of an it than a female so we have 9. 9 individual female characters in our entire roster. Not too much.

With the realism and the diversity it offers, it'd make Oceana an interesting and unique character and add to the gender diversity of the game.

2.) It Introduces a Unique Playstyle.

Smash is full of different fighters and with that, different playstyles. And the more the merrier as they say. We have the standard of sword fighters, gunners, or standard hand to hand combat characters. Those are fun in their own right, but it's just as fun to play around with those unorthodox characters like Villager or Wii Fit Trainer.

Oceana would have a very distinctive playstyle compared to everyone else. With the game she hails from having plenty of sources for move ideas like:
• A radar tool for treasure hunting.
• A connection to the sea and the different forms of marine life.
• A pulsar gun to calm down fierce animals.
• Dolphin companions who can rush to your aid.
• Diving equipment that make life so much easier down in the depths.
• An ancient flute that plays the cursed Song of Dragons.

With all these different tools to play around with, she'd be fun to play with all the color and wonder that comes from the ocean making for some interesting visual spectacle and a fun character to use.

3.) It'd Expose The Game to More People.

It's sort of Smash's thing to mix the unknown with the famous. Take Kid Icarus and Earthbound for example. It's a part of the magic with the game. So, of course we should have some support for these lesser known characters.

Not to say that they should completely forgo our most popular icons, that'd be stupid, but rather strike a balance to benefit everyone. And so far, Smash has been doing a great job at that. But that doesn't mean we should stop there.

By welcoming Oceana and by extension Endless Ocean to the Smash family, it'd definitely give it exposure which leads to more interest in the game series. And maybe a new game for you to add to your library as well.

4.) It'd Do The Series Justice.
Endless Ocean Blue World is a criminally underrated game. Likable characters, relaxing and yet engaging environments, a ton of fun and interesting content to play through, a great story to guide you through the deep blue, and a fantastic soundtrack.

However, most know the it from the Game Grumps series of videos which didn't exactly portray it in the best light. It's all fine and good not to enjoy this game since it is a rather niche title, but it'd be doing its great points a huge disservice. Smash is a series that brings Nintendo's universes together. And yet, Endless Ocean for some reason is absent from it completely.

No trophy, no stage, nothing. It's nowhere to be found. Heartbreaking that it gets left in the dust like that while other small titles receive some form of love with trophies and stages. Dillon got an assist in Smash 4 while Nikki's assist was just revealed.

The Cons

The Game She Comes From is Too Old. She's Irrelevant.

This a major factor in Endless Ocean's obscurity in all honesty. Had it been released today, it'd probably be in the same boat as Dillon. However, I really doubt Pit was super relevant when he got revealed for Brawl. His last appearance was in god damn 1986. People are begging for characters like Geno or Isaac when they've been absent for years. Endless Ocean is over a decade old and so far is only on the Wii without an eShop port. It certainly isn't a relevant game.

But it's definitely not completely dead. People who might not want a character do really enjoy the prospect of an Endless Ocean stage. The first game did well enough to spawn its own sequel which implemented tons more mechanics, fun, and adventure. Even now, I ask people about it and it's either they're unaware but are interested in playing, or recall the game fondly. Geno was likely in the same boat. A fond but obscure memory of the past. But once that ball got rolling, he became one of Smash's biggest requests. I want to get that ball rolling for Oceana. I know there's potential for Endless Ocean. And I hope to somehow showcase that potential to as many as possible.

No Move-set Potential.

I did discuss a move pool above and I have a move set below anyways. But I do see this brought up that a more realistic game doesn't have the potential for an effective moveset. Well, one... Wii Fit Trainer. If that's not enough, Villager. If that's not enough, Game and Watch. Honestly, Oceana's move potential is far better off than those three considering her game has the pulsar, the fish food, the underwater pen and a literal ocean of creatures. I don't remember Villager having a bowling ball or umbrella (unless those were secret amiibo villagers in which case gimme that ecard plz).

The Game Grumps Didn't Like It.

Yeah. They didn't like it. But those are like two people. Endless Ocean isn't really title that's for a general audience. It's where you go diving and explore the ocean and don't get eaten by sharks or something. I do see criticisms that Endless Ocean is boring because you don't do anything. I'd argue but really they're valid if the series isn't for you. I do want to get people to play it yes, but if the game isn't for you then just don't. The game probably wasn't geared towards the Game Grumps and because they're these massively popular duo, I suppose we all gotta agree whether it's conscious or subconscious. Now, you could also argue niche titles have no place in Smash Bros. And I'd direct you to Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Xenoblade. All three are niche, even more so than Endless Ocean. All three are generally well regarded by its fans and left alone by those that fall out of its net. And all three are in Smash. I mean hell, Xenoblade was Gamestop exclusive and you had to sell your liver, your firstborn child, and your virginity just to purchase a game that had ZERO, and I mean ZERO advertising.

In Conclusion.
With the benefits that'd come from adding Oceana to the roster, I think there isn't much reason to not at least allow the series to get some attention in the form of a stage or trophy. Every little bit helps. But really, what can you do to help it receive the love it deserves?

Unlike Geno, Oceana has no hurdles to cross except for obscurity. Endless Ocean is owned by Nintendo so there isn't much legal issues to be had there. The biggest valley to cross is the obscurity one, which is unfortunately pretty big. But there are ways to bridge it.

Simply discussing it with others is a great way to make it known. Even if Oceana or another EO character isn't your top 10, one could still mention them honorably or add them to a fanmade Smash roster. Little things like that go a long way. And of course, if you haven't, play Endless Ocean: Blue World. It's a fantastic game and expanding its playerbase would be instrumental to supporting it.

So, what're you waiting for? Become an Oceana supporter today!

Moveset

-Oceana's Moveset-

Basics:
A character like Oceana doesn't exactly have the cartoony physics of someone like Villager, nor the combat talent of someone like Little Mac. So, here we're going to be giving her an average to light weight and a decent running speed as well as a smaller frame . Not entirely floaty, but she's not going to be taking too many hits before getting blasted across the screen like some poor sardine in a hurricane. With this, she'd also have a decent air speed and jump height.

Moves:

Neutrals:

Jab-A fast series of slaps using a flipper that ends with the enemy being hit with an air cylinder.
Up Tilt-Oceana uses an air cylinder from behind her to in front, like Lucario's up tilt. Weak knockback and decently fast, so works like Lucario's up tilt as well.
Forward Tilt-Oceana bashes the opponent by swinging the air cylinder in front. It a bit of starting and ending lag, but its got good range and knockback.
Down Tilt-A flipper appears on her foot and she slides it across the stage. Very quick and good for edgeguarding opponents close to the stage.
Dash Attack-Oceana shoots forward like she's swimming underwater for a small distance.

Up Smash-Once charged, a school of capelin swirl around her head which hit the opponent several times and sends them upwards. It has a long hitbox duration but if missed, is easily punishable.
Forward Smash-Oceana slashes the opponent with the underwater pen, sending them at an upward angle which can lead to aerials.
Down Smash-A marbled ray materializes from underneath Oceana. It wiggles around, causing damage in front of and behind Oceana at the same time. The hitbox behind the ray deals more percent and knockback because of the ray's barb.

Grabs:

Pummel-The Endless Oceans hand cursor taps the opponent rapidly.
Forward Throw-The Endless Oceans hand cursor taps the opponent and pushes them forward a bit which can lead into a dash attack.
Backward Throw-The Endless Oceans hand cursor drags then behind Oceana and launches them. Can kill at reasonable percents.
Down Throw-The Endless Oceans hand cursor grabs the opponent and crushes them three times before smashing them into the ground sending them upward.
Up Throw-The Endless Oceans hand cursor grabs the opponent and tosses them into the air a bit lower than down throw for easier combos.

Aerials:

Nair-Flips backwards covering a circular area around her. Sorta slow but its got a lasting hitbox.
Fair-Oceana makes a swimming pose and paddles forwards giving her a slight horizontal movement.
Dair-Oceana dives downwards, hitting anyone in its way.
Bair-Oceana turns around and kick paddles her flippers four times before landing a final kick that has good kill potential.
Uair-Oceana makes a swimming motion upwards giving her slight vertical movement.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Pulsar Gun-Oceana fires the pulsar gun for some quick damage before landing a final shot that stuns the opponent very briefly.
Side Special: Dolphin Companion-Oceana blows her whistle which summons a dolphin to her aid. The dolphin can swim vertically and horizontally making it her primary method of recovery. The dolphin has a lasting hitbox until the animation ends. Can be cancelled with aerials.
Up Special: Fish Food-Oceana tosses a glob of fish food into the air. When it lands, it attracts a swarm of powder blue tangs which feast on it and any fighters caught in the hitbox. Lasts for around three seconds before dissipating. A good edgeguarding option.
Down Special: Multisensor-Oceana uses the multisensor tool to find treasure items. Since Nancy isn't here to salvage them, they're used primarily as projectiles. She can find three different items which go in order like Peach's Forward Smash. A piece of ambergris which deals weak knockback and percent, but is the fastest, an medium statue which has a higher arc and better knockback and damage, and finally a treasure chest which is slow and travels the shortest distance but has decent K.O potential.

Final Smash: Song of Dragons

The camera pans to Oceana playing the Song of Dragons with the Lapis Flute. This summons the three Singing Dragon whales which all breach stage at the same time, dealing heavy damage and knockback to those caught in their destructive wake.

Overall Playstyle:

Oceana revolves around using her diverse toolset for situations she may find herself in. The pulsar gun's stun can lead into some combos or kills while the dolphin companion gives her the ability to traverse the stage easily. Fish food can keep opponents at bay or guard the ledge while she shifts through multisensor to find the right treasure.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-diver-dives-in-explore-the-blue-through-the-wii’s-hidden-jems-endless-ocean-franchise-rep.456284/
Here's a link to another Endless Ocean set someone made. Spread dah love, ya'll.

Supporters-
Me (Obviously)
Captain Shades
Smashkirby
Good Guy Giygas
Thatkidwiththeafro
Dixie Kong

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Honestly, this move set seems complicated, unlike the game where she is from, and the lack of any sea creatures other than Dolphins and other companion animals kind of misses the point of exploring the sea.

You obviously know about my moveset, so I don’t think it’s wrong to say I feel it either follows more of the mechanics of the game or allows for more creature interaction.

My problem with the Dolphin idea is that it’s far to large for Smash, even Characters like Shulk have only 4 strength options, and even then they are color coded and say what each does, I feel picking through Dolphins will leave players confused and kill seem less gameplay.

Your Neutral moveset seems good, it’s just a little generic, relying on mainly Dolphin themed attacks, which I have no problem with, but for representing a franchise based around seeing multiple species, you may want to change it up. The side special seems off, even for matching your description of the character. Like, if she were to be based around riding Dolphins, wouldn’t it make more sense for her side Special to have her riding a Dolphin, like in the games. That way she can get horizontal distance as usually side specials work for moving a character, such as Wario’s bike. Finally, make the pulsar stun opponents, we see that it can calm down a shark, so stunning/neutralizing opponents would make more sense.

As for the Final Smash, Sakurai wants to make them quicker. I don’t know how yours would work as you seem to lack explanation, but changing it to whales (even though you’re probably referring to the whale) makes more sense as it can be like Sonic’s new final where they move back and forth around the stage, giving K.O.s to any opponent caught in between.

You have a nice base, but I’d suggest opening up to more than just Companion animals. There are so many creatures that have significance in the franchise that it seems cruel to leave them out, and is a poor representation of the franchise as a whole. Even if you just go for the ‘big boys’ such as Sharks, Penguins, even whales, that’s at least telling that you’ll come across a variety of creatures in the games. Heck, maybe include some of the vehicles like Jet Skis. As it stands, Océane seems to fully represent the training mode, which is kind of just a small optional thing in the grand scheme of things

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, this move set seems complicated, unlike the game where she is from, and the lack of any sea creatures other than Dolphins and other companion animals kind of misses the point of exploring the sea.

You obviously know about my moveset, so I don’t think it’s wrong to say I feel it either follows more of the mechanics of the game or allows for more creature interaction.

My problem with the Dolphin idea is that it’s far to large for Smash, even Characters like Shulk have only 4 strength options, and even then they are color coded and say what each does, I feel picking through Dolphins will leave players confused and kill seem less gameplay.

Your Neutral moveset seems good, it’s just a little generic, relying on mainly Dolphin themed attacks, which I have no problem with, but for representing a franchise based around seeing multiple species, you may want to change it up. The side special seems off, even for matching your description of the character. Like, if she were to be based around riding Dolphins, wouldn’t it make more sense for her side Special to have her riding a Dolphin, like in the games. That way she can get horizontal distance as usually side specials work for moving a character, such as Wario’s bike. Finally, make the pulsar stun opponents, we see that it can calm down a shark, so stunning/neutralizing opponents would make more sense.

As for the Final Smash, Sakurai wants to make them quicker. I don’t know how yours would work as you seem to lack explanation, but changing it to whales (even though you’re probably referring to the whale) makes more sense as it can be like Sonic’s new final where they move back and forth around the stage, giving K.O.s to any opponent caught in between.

You have a nice base, but I’d suggest opening up to more than just Companion animals. There are so many creatures that have significance in the franchise that it seems cruel to leave them out, and is a poor representation of the franchise as a whole. Even if you just go for the ‘big boys’ such as Sharks, Penguins, even whales, that’s at least telling that you’ll come across a variety of creatures in the games. Heck, maybe include some of the vehicles like Jet Skis. As it stands, Océane seems to fully represent the training mode, which is kind of just a small optional thing in the grand scheme of things
Thanks for the advice. And actually, I used the items from EO: Blue World for her moveset and I guess it just happened to be similar. I mean, Pulsar would be the most obvious neutral B. Anyways, I have it all changed without the superfluous dolphin mechanic. This also represents a variety of sea creatures as well as some of the game's mechanics like treasure hunting. What do you think of it now?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I think I'd prefer an Endless Ocean stage if we're being honest (Fighting underwater? Could be pretty cool if you ask me...), but I do always love being surprised by the obscure and unconventional characters being added to the roster... So I guess sign me up.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I think I'd prefer an Endless Ocean stage if we're being honest (Fighting underwater? Could be pretty cool if you ask me...), but I do always love being surprised by the obscure and unconventional characters being added to the roster... So I guess sign me up.
Yeah, this is more for representation than anything. I'd be fine with a stage. But I think having a character will interest people more in the idea.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I started this and I’m not on the list of supporters?

I’d love to collaborate. Honestly I would put more money on a generic Diver getting in with Oceane as a skin. As we’ve seen with Villager, Sakurai usually picks the playable character.

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I started this and I’m not on the list of supporters?

I’d love to collaborate. Honestly I would put more money on a generic Diver getting in with Oceane as a skin. As we’ve seen with Villager, Sakurai usually picks the playable character.
Oh, sorry! XP

I suppose that is true. Though, I select Oceana because we don't really have an iconic design for the generic Diver like we do the Villager. And Oceana just pops out more to me. I know she's sort of from a sequel game, but like... Catherine can't swim... And Oceana is just much more plot relevant to her game as well. I dunno, what do you think?

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Hmmm....

I've never heard of Oceana....

Haven't had a diver in New Tendo City yet....

Starts thinking of an Oceana episode in New Tendo City! (PSST, put me on the support list guys!) ~ Afro

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm....

I've never heard of Oceana....

Haven't had a diver in New Tendo City yet....

Starts thinking of an Oceana episode in New Tendo City! (PSST, put me on the support list guys!) ~ Afro
Oh, you wanna be on the support list? Uh, sure yeah. Thanks. What is this New Tendo City though?

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Oh, you wanna be on the support list? Uh, sure yeah. Thanks. What is this New Tendo City though?
New Tendo City is a series based on Nintendo that acts like a bizarre mix of anime and sitcoms. The series takes EVERY Nintendo character ever created, and reimagines them as a regular person, with a regular job. Regardless of relevence, ANY character can be seen as a resident of New Tendo City.

Examples of obscure characters I've used so far include...

• Ayumi Tachibana
  • Ashley Mizuki Robbins
  • Stanley the Bugman
  • Foreman Spike
  • Mike Jones
Those are just a few, with many more on the way. By the sounds of this one, I feel I can get a role and a design out of her soon! ;)

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
New Tendo City is a series based on Nintendo that acts like a bizarre mix of anime and sitcoms. The series takes EVERY Nintendo character ever created, and reimagines them as a regular person, with a regular job. Regardless of relevence, ANY character can be seen as a resident of New Tendo City.

Examples of obscure characters I've used so far include...

• Ayumi Tachibana
  • Ashley Mizuki Robbins
  • Stanley the Bugman
  • Foreman Spike
  • Mike Jones
Those are just a few, with many more on the way. By the sounds of this one, I feel I can get a role and a design out of her soon! ;)
Ah, sounds neat. Yeah, anything to get this series a little more attention is always a good thing. Thanks for your support ^^

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Ah, sounds neat. Yeah, anything to get this series a little more attention is always a good thing. Thanks for your support ^^
No problem, I tend to like obscure character myself, hence my usual support of them.

I'll be sure to showcase both her design and bio for New Tendo City once I get to it! ;) ~ Afro

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
No problem, I tend to like obscure character myself, hence my usual support of them.

I'll be sure to showcase both her design and bio for New Tendo City once I get to it! ;) ~ Afro
Be sure to link me it when it happens then.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Yo Imma Bump your thread ️

Also, post my Endless Ocean thread as I want to see if I can gain more love for the franchise instead of having our threads die again.
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...dden-jems-endless-ocean-franchise-rep.456284/

Yeah, I gotcha. But simply having them exist isn't enough. Try to visit the Endless Ocean Wiki and see if people are willing to come over to smashboards. I think there's also a gamefaqs board or something. I dunno, but last time I checked they're both active.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Yeah, I gotcha. But simply having them exist isn't enough. Try to visit the Endless Ocean Wiki and see if people are willing to come over to smashboards. I think there's also a gamefaqs board or something. I dunno, but last time I checked they're both active.
Nothing on those forums has been updated in the past year it seem, I would really rely on the Wiki to help out, I can check gamefaqs though.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Nothing on those forums has been updated in the past year it seem, I would really rely on the Wiki to help out, I can check gamefaqs though.
Yeah, checked it out again and they both seem kinda dead. Try searching up some groups that have moderate activity. I wonder if I can commission someone to make one of those icons or if there are some reviewers I can request to review EO for publicity purposes... Hm...

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
While I've never really though of a character, I always wanted to see a stage.

Something underwater, with fish swimming and such, would be a calming and unique stage.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
While I've never really though of a character, I always wanted to see a stage.

Something underwater, with fish swimming and such, would be a calming and unique stage.
I can see why people think it wouldn't work, but honestly I think a character could be great. Especially with all the mechanics Endless Ocean provides. I mean, if people want Isabelle then I don't see any reason why Oceana should be omitted because she lacks a moveset when there's really a lot you could do given the source material. And hey, if a character joins, a stage is all but guaranteed. Though, I do wonder if underwater physics would ruin it.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
If you are interested Cetus Cetus , I’m thinking about revamping the Diver thread for Endless Ocean and making it a general EO thread, want to help?

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
If you are interested Cetus Cetus , I’m thinking about revamping the Diver thread for Endless Ocean and making it a general EO thread, want to help?
Hm, I think that'd be more beneficial to this. I feel we should start up something for general EO since asking for a character first off might be a bit much. I think we should start small and actually gain an audience first with something more enticing before we start the character campaigning.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Hm, I think that'd be more beneficial to this. I feel we should start up something for general EO since asking for a character first off might be a bit much. I think we should start small and actually gain an audience first with something more enticing before we start the character campaigning.
I think we should still pitch the idea for a character, but just talking about EO more to give people a better idea of what it is would probably be more beneficial as of right now.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
While I'm not against the idea of a fighter, I get much more excited at the idea of an Endless Ocean stage. Even if it's basic one like Smashville with an underwater platform that slowly scrolls over ocean life, reflecting the peaceful nature of the game. Of course the water wouldn't affect game physics.

Top Bottom