• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Empty Combo - Link's Dthrow Followups and When They Work

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
A note before we begin: The Empty Combo is simply Dthrow Dair, and will be referred to that henceforth. It was named by my friend and not me.

I've spent a fair amount of time compiling all of this data. Link's Dthrow Dair has far more variance in regards to when everything works now compared to 3.02 and I always thought it would be useful to know exactly when each follow-up works, so I figured out how fast Link could act when throwing each character, then tested their stun frames for every 50% from 0% until 150%. After that, I found out their quickest anti-combo attack and factored that into the data to be able to figure out the ranges in which everything works.

Download the spreadsheet here.
upload_2015-5-3_21-46-51.png

- What the individual bits of the graphs mean

The blue line on the graph indicates how many frames you can act out of Link’s Dthrow before the opponent is out of stun. The amount of time it takes before Link can act is determined by the target’s weight; the heavier the character you’re throwing, the longer you will have to wait before acting. The advantage is then determined by subtracting this from the thrown character's stun.

The line that extends upward from the four points on the graph indicate that character’s fastest aerial attack. Just because you don’t have quite enough stun to land a follow-up doesn’t mean it isn’t guaranteed. If you can land the next attack a frame before the opponent’s fastest move will come out, it’s technically unavoidable as they have no effective means of stopping you. The character and their fastest possible attack/invincible option is on the top of the graph.

The dotted lines indicate at which point certain follow-ups are guaranteed based on the amount of advantage you have. There are obviously more than 3 potential follow-ups out of throws such as jab, Dsmash, Utilt, Usmash, or whatever else you feel like doing. Unfortunately, those include far more variance as Utilt hits at varying times depending on position, Dsmash only works when the opponent is close to the ground, and so on. Those have to be left up to judgment calls when to use them. The graphs should help you determine when those options are viable regardless.

For some characters, their fall speed is so great that they will hit the ground before being able to act. This is denoted with a red box around the values on the graph. In this instance, their fastest invincible option is 1 (teching). This only applies to no DI. If someone DI’s to the side, they will hit the ground slightly faster. For example, Fox at 40% will hit the ground on frame 41, but if he DI’s to the side, he will hit the ground on frame 37. If something is barely guaranteed and will cause a teching situation, it might be wise to go for something else.

- Things the graphs don’t tell you

The distance the opponent is launched. Sometimes, for instance with Jigglypuff, you’ll have the frame advantage to land the attack but the opponent won’t be close enough to get hit. Use your judgment.

The percentage at which a character will land on a platform. I plan on incorporating this in the future by using the lowest platforms of Battlefield. This information would have been beyond useful to me in the past, so I want to document it.

Some attacks hit on slightly different frames depending on which way you’re facing/where the opponent DI’s. Up tilt is a prime example. The hitbox comes out on frame 9 but doesn’t hit behind him until a bit later.

Position can render frame disadvantage null. For instance, Link's Uair will beat most attacks above him because of its significant disjoint. Even if the character can act, if your position is correct they shouldn't be able to hit you.

I cannot factor in how many frames it takes you to reach the opponent if they DI away at higher percents. This will be more relevant with floatier characters.

Move lethality. This is too highly variable for me to either test or include. You have to account for stale moves, DI, stage position, blast zones, character weight and fall speed, etc. It’s far too much. But you can generally know around what percents each option kills at. Experience will guide the way.

What percents characters hit the ground upon DI’ing. As stated before, this could slightly alter the timing. I would have to test everything twice in order to account for this possibility. I neither have the time nor patience for that. Just be aware that sometimes the graphs will say that a character won’t hit the ground at a certain percent, but when I was testing it they were able to act just barely before hitting the ground. DI may throw those values off.

Simply denoting the startup of a character’s fastest option says nothing about where that option hits. In the instance of Dthrow Dair, Link’s Dair hitbox is essentially on his body, so that shouldn’t matter much. But in other cases a character’s fastest option may be Uair, which will do nothing to combat Spin Attack. And so on.

Jumping away may be a viable option for escaping combos that is faster than trying to beat out the next attack. This is contingent upon position and how fast a given character’s jump is. This is something I cannot account for.

In a few instances armor is a character’s fastest option (such as with Bowser and Yoshi). I have no idea when certain attacks will break each individual armor.

Special thanks to

@ jtm94 jtm94 for helping me gather all of the data and discovering the enigmatic +4 trend. Also for naming Dthrow Dair the Empty Combo so I can be eternally seen as a narcissist and harassed/mocked for it. <3 I think it sounds cool.

@Umbreon for being an assbandit and making a suicide pact with me.

@Shadic ahehehehehehe.

@Lunchables for the Cracker Stacker ComboTM

The MFMS Foundation.

@Hylian for whatever reason.

@Sethlon for based Sethlon.

And finally for contributions from viewers like you. **** off.

Seriously though, as Smashers we tend to name literally everything arbitrarily. It doesn't affect anyone at all what my friends and I call it; you're allowed to call it whatever you want just as I am. Simply take the information as it is and ignore the name if it so offends you.

If I've made any mistakes, let me know and I'll correct it.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I always referred to it as Impalement or Finishing Blow because that's what it was in Twighlight Princess. Plus Impalement sounds cool. It felt good in TP when you had your opponent down and you did a finishing Impalement right through their chest. Made you feel like a god.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
My brother and I called it the Finisher because of TP for most of my childhood. I love that game to death.

But seriously how can this guy be such a narcissist, having his friend name something after him? Empty Combo. Pah!

Lemme go hit someone with the Chillindude. Uthrow Uair.
Amsah tech in a clutch moment.
Scar Jump a bit.
Vududash if I'm feeling like a homie.
Ken Combo.

I understand these players are actually famous and extremely good, but that's a very subjective and biased metric to use for acceptance of a name imo. The overall message is that it just doesn't matter and calling it the Empty Combo personally isn't stepping outside of normal convention for the Smash community and I don't want the thread to devolve into arguing about naming. That's it. I don't mind if people say what they like to call it I guess, but just keep it in mind that I don't want to argue over this. Just refer to it as Dthrow Dair for the remainder of the thread.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Another thing that should be noted in regards to Dthrow Dair is that even if you have to full hop to get to them, the Dair would still hit at the peak of your jump so it doesn't actually change the required stun. Unfortunately, if they're going up that high then DI to the side might prove a more significant factor and might require a very small dash to the side before jumping if you hope to reach them, throwing off the timing slightly. This would be mostly relevant with perhaps the floatier characters (due to distance) and the faster falling characters (due to the reduced height) Dthrow Uair seems very solid against any character that resists spin/dair as a follow-up. It's very easy to get enough stun to make that work and at any killing percents you'd have an eternity to land it. It would be more relevant against floatier nogs though because it requires they be launched up higher than Dthrow and Spin, but that just means we have more options covered.

I would have done something regarding Uthrow since that option is also very very good, but it's more something that sets up for position with Uair and Usmash and it wouldn't be stun-based so much as it would be based on how far they're launched at any given percent, which would take more talent than what I possess to quantify. Maybe I can gather notes on what percentages guaranteed followups off of Uthrow are.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Bumping because I've had to direct like 10 people to this who thought the information would be helpful. All of this is accurate for 3.6 as well with the exception of yoshi who dropped some pounds.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Yeah, that's a lot of information lol. Kinda hard if you aren't dedicated to figuring out what means what lol.
I guess.
I'll pass
Your sub-optimal grab punishes are of no concern to me then. If you're not willing to analyze information on your own to some degree then there's no helping you.

Basically it tells you how much frame advantage you have at 0%, 50%, 100%, and 150% after down throwing each character. Then it tells you how long it would take to do each individual punish. Jump - Dair would take 18 frames. So you need 18 frames of stun in order to land it. It's *REALLY* not that complicated. Just follow the line on the graph. e_e

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I guess.

Your sub-optimal grab punishes are of no concern to me then. If you're not willing to analyze information on your own to some degree then there's no helping you.

Basically it tells you how much frame advantage you have at 0%, 50%, 100%, and 150% after down throwing each character. Then it tells you how long it would take to do each individual punish. Jump - Dair would take 18 frames. So you need 18 frames of stun in order to land it. It's *REALLY* not that complicated. Just follow the line on the graph. e_e
Sick info.

Top Bottom