• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament The Elegant Psychic: Gardevoir Social Thread!

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger

Gardevoir enters the fray, gracing the battlefield with her unique psychic fighting style!

In case you visit the Gardevoir board but want to be a little off-topic as well.

Discuss away!

Last edited:

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I like to keep Gardevoir as a second with my Blaziken. Got a nice Duel phase and Field Phase balance.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I might not have the game, but I'm camping here anyway because I love Gardevoir and I can learn a thing or two just in case I DO get the game.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Heya everyone! It's so nice to have the game after seeing it online for the past few months. Gardevoir is so much fun! So far she's the only character I've used seriously, and I can't see that changing any time soon. It's nice to be here!

R_Fated_Circle

Smash Rookie
I haven't played pokemon since sikver so i have no idea which game she came from. But I picked her up because she looked like a psychic pokemon and so far I'm not disappointed I to have not really tried anyone else yet.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
She likely has one of, if not THE best Field game. Many strong projectiles that can also cover huge amounts of space. But up close she's fairly weak and her damage output isn't that great in duel.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I haven't played pokemon since sikver so i have no idea which game she came from.
Gardevoir made her debut in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (Gen 3), the same games that Sceptile and Blaziken first appeared in. You should really try out some of the newer Pokémon games. They're a lot of fun since many new mechanics have been added to the series since Gold and Silver.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Just avoid 6th gen altogether because it's literal trash

Lucario777

Smash Rookie
They're actually power boosts for Stored Power, her forward A attack. You can stack up to three Calm Mind boosts, and each one increases the range and strength of the move. Stored Power gets REALLY good at three calm minds, and even if blocked at least shoves the opponent far away, which is good for Gardevoir.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have tips for playing against Machamps? I have a lot of trouble against them.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Anyone have tips for playing against Machamps? I have a lot of trouble against them.
Zone zone zone zone ZONE
spam spam spam spam spam

Seriously, you don't want Machamp anywhere near you because he hits like a truck hopped up on steroids. Get up Calm Minds whenever you can (at least while he's far away or suffering from a getup) and abuse the range of your moves in Field Phase, especially Stored Power with 2+ Calm Minds. It may not be a playstyle you'll like, but so far that's the most effective way to fight Machamp that I can find. I hope I helped!

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Nice to see character forums for Pokken here on smashboards!

I've been trying all the characters a little bit in the beginning on the release day, but it became clear for me very quickly that i find Gardevoir's playstyle and moveset the most interesting, so i've played almost all of my matches with her and have decided to have her as my main in this game :) So hello to you all!

Btw, Been labbing out some combo ideas today that i think might be unknown but will post em later (4 am as i write this so gotta get some sleep first :p )

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Gardevoir wants to be keeping some distance between herself and the opponent, so any supports that discourage them from approaching (Disruptors like Fennekin, Croagunk and Ninetales come to mind) are very useful. If you can get more than one Calm Mind off, Stored Power becomes absolutely terrifying.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gardevoir wants to be keeping some distance between herself and the opponent, so any supports that discourage them from approaching (Disruptors like Fennekin, Croagunk and Ninetales come to mind) are very useful. If you can get more than one Calm Mind off, Stored Power becomes absolutely terrifying.
With the Mismagius/Ninetales support in particular, I like to run the Special cheer, running the former by default (also useful for maximizing the momentum from gained synergy off a win with Ominous Wind's attack buff), and Ninetales after a loss.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Personally i'm still running the Emolga/Fennekin supports on my Gardevoir. Fennekin creates an invincibility period and can be used to punish overly aggressive attackers. If the opponent gets hit by Fennekin, you can follow up with a Maxed Stored Power for free damage and a possible phase shift. If they block it you can sometimes follow up with Stored Power (as most people will immediately drop their block and try to rush back in). Emolga is very handy to apply pressure to other zoners such as Suicine, Chandelure and other Gardevoirs.

Btw, I was thinking about the best way to name how many calm mind charges you'd be using on a stored power. You could probably name it using a tier convention. So for example, using Stored power with 1 Calm Mind boost would be a Tier 1 Stored Power, 2 Boosts would be Tier 2 etc.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello! I'm interested in playing gardevoir as my main in Pokken. While Smash 4 is still my main game, I do hope to enjoy this game as well. Nice to meet you all lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gardevoir heals recoverable HP in high stance. And does her best Betty Boop impression while she's at it.

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Energy Ball is a really interesting and useful move. If the opponent throws a projectile into it, then more projectiles get thrown back at them, giving Gardevoir a bit of anti zoning along with her zoning. In the dual phase this move is really useful since it can force your opponent to jump, which you can also turn the Energy Ball into an anti air move during this phase. This combined with good use of Future Sight can make it stupidly hard for your opponent to approach.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
woo 3hp per tic
You laugh, but when you've knocked down your opponent and are already sitting on Calm Mind boosts you'll be grateful for the lagless recovery that is often just the clincher needed for a time victory.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Just avoid 6th gen altogether because it's literal trash
I think you mean Fifth gen.

Anyways, can't wait to pick up the game for myself. I'll probably main Gardevoir because it's my favourite Pokémon that made it in. That or Mewtwo.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
You laugh, but when you've knocked down your opponent and are already sitting on Calm Mind boosts you'll be grateful for the lagless recovery that is often just the clincher needed for a time victory.
yep, still laughing

foussi

Smash Cadet
NNID
foussi
Did you know that garde comes from the word guard and voir is french and means see.

Seeing guard.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
the garde part actually comes from french too because garder is the french verb meaning to keep or to guard

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I feel like it's still pretty hard to find good tourney battles of pokken. Does anyone know any good YT channels for pokken tourneys?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like it's still pretty hard to find good tourney battles of pokken. Does anyone know any good YT channels for pokken tourneys?
Unfortunately Youtube seems pretty devoid of anything besides online Ranked/combo videos/DLC wishlists.

Your best bet would be searching up VODs on Twitch.

There's a VOD on VGBC's twitch page. They had a tournament last week.
^

VSGC also has weeklies, and they had a really good Gardevoir (and sometimes Gengar) main named Joshys, who placed 3rd last week.

https://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/v/56047528

Edit: Also going on live right now. https://www.twitch.tv/vsgc
-

On an unrelated note, I just got demolished by a rank B5 Gardevoir in friendlies (was using Charizard to get it leveled up/get titles).

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Woo Sothe Avatar!

Is the Emblemboards thing an April 1st joke? Because I don't mind this avatar.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I did the thing at our weekly:
http://challonge.com/5nt5ase4/standings

Still need to get more people though. It's been slow, but at least we are getting consistent numbers for now. Another thing I tested out was the Support Only Cheer from Nia. It's amazing, and came through many times during the tournament. What Cheer skills have you been using?

Top Bottom