• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Egg-Cellent Dinosaurl! Yoshi in Smash Ultimate Thread!

Will Yoshi recive substantial changes in Smash Switch?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No...

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
Did we get any professional opinions on Egg Roll? I keep hearing that he has no grab followups and all the footage I've seen seems to confirm this. Has anyone found anything?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Places around the world are getting thefinal build of the demo, The Wall will be one of em so just wait another few days for Yoshi info to flow in since Spain only had one yoshi player/main dropping info.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Hey, even if we don't get all the info we want from the full game 'demo', the game will be out within a month and then we can all finally start discovering anything we don't know yet for ourselves.

Grambles

Smash Cadet
He's behind Mario for 6 frames in the 7th or 8th second of the video

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah I don't count that, sorry. That's just the stock artwork for the banner that's not even on-screen for very long, in fact I had to slow down the video to even spot him there.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He's behind Mario for 6 frames in the 7th or 8th second of the video
Quick, better move the goalpost to just not getting a 3D model then.

I feel more bad for Jigglypuff as an original 12 member really. Hardly ever shows up in anything promotional unless it pertains directly to her, didn't even get a proper role in Subspace Emissary and came dangerously close to being cut entirely in two games. At least I know Yoshi isn't just hanging desperately on his seniority to stay relevant.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Quick, better move the goalpost to just not getting a 3D model then.

I feel more bad for Jigglypuff as an original 12 member really. Hardly ever shows up in anything promotional unless it pertains directly to her, didn't even get a proper role in Subspace Emissary and came dangerously close to being cut entirely in two games. At least I know Yoshi isn't just hanging desperately on his seniority to stay relevant.
Oh, I'm so sorry for wanting my boi to shown a little more recognition in Smash due to his influence and household name status. Because Jigglypuff has it worse, that must mean I drop ALL of my advocacy for Yoshi. Gee, why'd I even bother...

*sigh* some people

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I feel like people's intentions aren't really getting across too well here due to responses not being made directly to each other. Keep it cool guys, don't assume people are being hostile.

Yoshi was, for all intents and purposes, absent from the commercial. Similarly though, Jiggs doesn't show up much either. Advocating for one doesn't mean the other one should suffer -- it'd be nice if everyone could have their favorite character receive ample representation.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some people really do take Yoshi's absence rather hard. I will admit though, that he should be more involved in the Super Mario titles.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
For me it's just more an annoyance than anything really, when you see it having become a trend for them keeping Yoshi out of things when all the other Original 8 members get sweet artwork references and animations and whatnot. It really does look/feel like they're trying to somehow replace Yoshi as one of the O8.

But in the end Yoshi is still there, and none of this will change that fact, and I'm still really grateful for that because there's plenty of other characters who don't get much promo-material spotlight whatsoever (like Jigglypuff, as meleebrawler said), or characters that are relegated to mere Assist trophy, stage hazard, trophy, Spirit or what-have-you status. I know a friend who really, really, really wanted Dillon in the game, but that seems very unlikely to happen now sadly what with his returning Assist trophy status, although Chrom being playable and still being in Robin's Final Smash gives some hope there yet. Whatever the case, as Yoshi fans, we can count ourselves lucky that Yoshi has been in Smash Bros right from the start at all, when you look at it like that, and even (still) represents his own spin-off franchise rather than being another Mario character to boot.

I truthfully never mean to sound ungrateful or anything, believe me there, I merely wish Yoshi wouldn't get sidelined as much as he is when compared to the other O8 members, and when it happens this often, it does get a little annoying. But I'm still really glad that Yoshi is here regardless and remains one of the safest mainstays in Smash Bros, too, and Yoshi being excluded from things doesn't mean I don't wish others could be included. It's just, y'know, I'm a Yoshi fan. Not a Jigglypuff fan (no offense of course, the Puff is still cool). So of course I'm gonna support the one I'm actually a fan of. That's all it is.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I didn't even notice he wasn't in the commercial.
Only thing I'm sad about with in regards of Yoshi is his games usually delayed or for smash little changes to coincide with his games and how Yoshi interacts in other games he's in like Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island, SMG2 or Odyssey.

Wall cling and tongue tether never.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I just looked through what Yoshi was capable of through the 28 years he's been around and HO BOY!!! Our boi has done a lot...

Jump (duh...)
Eating enemies
Eating projectiles
Spitting projectiles
Egg Lay
Egg Throw
Ground Pound
Flutter Jump
Fireballs
Sand Clouds
Flight
Spit Juice
Spin Jump
Rapid Dash
Blimp
Glow
Bubbles
Transformation (Car, Helicopter, Mole Tank, Submarine, Train, Ship, Balloon, Ball, Boat, Jackhammer, Mine-Cart, Bobsled)
Sniff-Sniffing
Tongue Tethering
Gravity Manipulation
Mega Eggdozer
Metal Eggdozer
Starman invincibility
Stampede
Cap transformation
Wall Cling
Side Somersault
Egg Roll
Super Dragon
Super Mushroom
Rumblebang
Egg Beater
Super Chance

And that's not including Yarn Yoshi

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi's finally on the blog...

"Today's Fighter
#05: Yoshi
Yoshi is all about egg-related moves, like throwing eggs, swallowing opponents and turning them into eggs, or turning into an egg and charging toward an opponent. With a high jump, recovery is a piece of cake for Yoshi! And for his Final Smash, a Yoshi army stampedes through the stage."

Overall a pretty great entry as it mentions a ton of moves. Though there IS something off about it. I'll let you figure out what it is :yoshi:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I can see at least two things off about it. For one, Yoshi is not all about egg-related moves; only his special moves (aside from down B) and his shield use eggs. And recovery isn't necessarily a 'piece of cake' for Yoshi. It's easier than certain others sure, but get knocked out the jump, or get knocked away before you touch ground again, and Yoshi is in serious trouble because then he has to rely on egg toss hops which aren't all that reliable since they only cover so much ground. Not to mention footstool jumps can really easily gimp Yoshi.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can see at least two things off about it. For one, Yoshi is not all about egg-related moves; only his special moves (aside from down B) and his shield use eggs. And recovery isn't necessarily a 'piece of cake' for Yoshi. It's easier than certain others sure, but get knocked out the jump, or get knocked away before you touch ground again, and Yoshi is in serious trouble because then he has to rely on egg toss hops which aren't all that reliable since they only cover so much ground. Not to mention footstool jumps can really easily gimp Yoshi.
It's the unique parts of his moveset. Also these posts are destined to the average Joe casual, not the pros who know the ins and outs of everything. Do you really think footstooling Yoshi will come naturally to those players?

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Forgot to check the Smash Ultimate boards for some reason, whoops.
Hi guys!

Depster

Smash Champion
I can't believe there are people here who I remember 0_0

They changed a ton of animations!! Up air looks weird now..

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
He looks off to me in this game. His size maybe? Or his lower jaw being too small? Am I the only one that thinks he looks a little off in this game?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
He doesn't look off to me, but his animations seem funky. I'm really not a fan of the Uair or Fair animations. Iunno, they seem kind of incomplete without the full flips.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think I know what it is. His nose is too spherical and unnatural, just like his old Yoshi Story art. Looks like I could pluck it right off his face like it was a watermelon and his body was the stem. At least in his official Smash Bros art it looks like a part of his face, it kind of smooths out the crease where his nose meets the rest of his face. There's no seperation in the game itself.

Wolly

Smash Rookie
Hiya, this is my first post here, but is there a Yoshi discord or something by chance? He's a character i'd really like to learn this go around!

Depster

Smash Champion
The other problem I have is his forward and up tilts. The hitbox doesn't seem anywhere close to as big as the animations, which are the same animation as up air.. does it seem lazy?

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The other problem I have is his forward and up tilts. The hitbox doesn't seem anywhere close to as big as the animations, which are the same animation as up air.. does it seem lazy?
Utilt's hitbox is much larger behind like Fox'..... even though the animation doesn't match it.

Regardless, those two moves you mention are his best combo starters...

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Ey guys does anyone want to test jab1 to yoshi bomb? I tested it and jab1 put in the staggered animation, the one that most stun moves put you into. Heck even the combo counter counts it as true. Is it though I have no way of actually checking if its true or not

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
yoshi dittos were some of my favorite in smash 4. Lets actually play eachother. I'm usually available to grind some games. Any yoshi discords? ALSO here's my friend code.
"1345-3004-6632" . if you actually wana take the time to grind out some yoshi dittos or lab combos n stuff HMU.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
I found a crash with Yoshi that involves pummeling someone in a Stamina match until they're at 0 HP and immediately throwing them afterward. I recorded a video to demonstrate this crash. I hope this is the right place for this sort of thing, since it's a bug that involves Yoshi.

Top Bottom