• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Egg-Cellent Dinosaurl! Yoshi in Smash Ultimate Thread!

Will Yoshi recive substantial changes in Smash Switch?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No...

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Even when the Yoshi boards were active (circa Brawl days), there weren't really any problems. Maybe a couple bad cases (our one and only King, for instance).

But yeah dead boards are super easy to mod. :colorful:
I'm pretty sure I probably caused some trouble here and there though, most of it probably around 2012/2013 when i was a ****.

Good times

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Who would that person be?

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I don't think Luigi had too much worry about getting in last because I don't think he's shown last for many things. Yoshi on the other hand...

.....it's something I've stopped caring about though honestly. Last or not, at least Yoshi is still in, and I'm happy for that. :yoshi:And I can't wait to finally pick this game up and discover what the Ultimate Yoshi is all about!

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
So they finally showed off Yoshi's Final Smash (at 15:29): https://youtu.be/fccgHnBQ0YM?t=926

It's a Yoshi stampede! I'm a little bit sad Yoshi doesn't get wings anymore during the Final Smash but this still looks really nice, and it's a fun homage to the Smash Bros Melee intro. I was hoping Yoshi would get a fun cinematic Final Smash and they delivered on that. :yoshi:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So Yoshi's Final Smash has tuned into another Blue Falcon copycat. I'll definitely miss those controllable Final Smashes.

GloryBust

Smash Rookie
Finally got a look at my boi's FS and I like it so far...

But Yoshi STILL has no Assist Trophy, GAH!!!
A Poochy assist would be cool but it's not needed, Being honest the Yoshi series in smash will always be Yoshi only.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Really, if you look at all the Assist Trophies Mario got (Chain Chomp, Flies & Hand, Hammer Bros., Thwomp, and Waluigi; 5 total), I think it would be fair that at least one of those could go to Yoshi instead. Take away Waluigi and put that Assist spot up for Poochy (and Waluigi can become playable). And Poochy isn't really the only one from the Yoshi series that could be an Assist, but he's definitely one of the most recognizable figures (along with Baby Mario/Luigi and Kamek, and maybe Shy Guy).

Or at LEAST put a Yoshi related item in, considering how many of those Mario has in Ultimate (Banana Peel, Bob-Omb, Boomerang, Bullet Bill, Fire Bar, Fire Flower, Freezie, Golden Hammer, Grass, Green Shell, Hothead, Lightning Bolt, Metal Box, Poison Mushroom, POW Block, Soccer Ball, Spiny Shell, Super Launch Star, Super Leaf, Super Mushroom, Super Star; total 21). Wouldn't hurt to have ONE of those shifted into a Yoshi related item, right? It's not like they wouldn't be able to think of anything. There's plenty ideas I could think of, and I'm definitely not what you'd call a creative mind.

Much as I'd love to see some actual Yoshi stuff beyond Yoshi and the handful of stages though, I'm not really complaining, just saying. I'm still just glad Yoshi is represented in Smash the way he is. Just, sometimes, it feels a little bit disrespectful towards Yoshi when there's not just a little bit more attention given, even if just in the form of an item.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Oh well that’s not nice. So Little Mac is still the only one with 18 costumes? Black Yoshi was my favorite Yoshi so I don’t think this is a nice replacement.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Little Mac had 16 costumes in Smash 4 by the way, not 18. Just a little correction.~ ..but yes he's cut down to 8 now as well, just like Wario got cut down from 12 to 8 from Brawl to Smash 4. I had this video in my suggestion box, you can see them all here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz44BlBVhdQ

This is SO STUPID THOUGH!!! They cut really nice alternates. Fire Mario and Black Yoshi being two of them. Is it really THAT HARD to make at least like, 12 options available for every character? Or at least 10?? Where did Fire Mario and Black Yoshi go? Why don't Peach and Bowser get their wedding outfits to go along with Mario?

The game is really good but they really don't know how to do alternate costumes right. Stupid Miis that nobody cares about are going to hog all the spotlight on this department AGAIN!!! Ugh. ....well, at least this is just another demo; who knows it's different in the full game, maybe you can even unlock new alternate costumes. Oh please let there be unlockable costumes even if they're just palette swaps. If not, then honestly, great as the game may be (and I will definitely still be enjoying the heck out of it when the game comes out), this will leave a bit of a dent on the game for me. Just a little bit.

Sorry if I'm overreacting but I really had my heart set on having more than 8 options for multiple characters this time and thought the confirmation of certain alternates, like Wedding/Builder Mario and BotW/Tunic Link, and even Woolly Yoshi, meant we'd be getting more than 8 for many characters this time... so this kinda stings.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Little Mac had 16 costumes in Smash 4 by the way, not 18. Just a little correction.~ ..but yes he's cut down to 8 now as well, just like Wario got cut down from 12 to 8 from Brawl to Smash 4. I had this video in my suggestion box, you can see them all here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz44BlBVhdQ

This is SO STUPID THOUGH!!! They cut really nice alternates. Fire Mario and Black Yoshi being two of them. Is it really THAT HARD to make at least like, 12 options available for every character? Or at least 10?? Where did Fire Mario and Black Yoshi go? Why don't Peach and Bowser get their wedding outfits to go along with Mario?

The game is really good but they really don't know how to do alternate costumes right. Stupid Miis that nobody cares about are going to hog all the spotlight on this department AGAIN!!! Ugh. ....well, at least this is just another demo; who knows it's different in the full game, maybe you can even unlock new alternate costumes. Oh please let there be unlockable costumes even if they're just palette swaps. If not, then honestly, great as the game may be (and I will definitely still be enjoying the heck out of it when the game comes out), this will leave a bit of a dent on the game for me. Just a little bit.

Sorry if I'm overreacting but I really had my heart set on having more than 8 options for multiple characters this time and thought the confirmation of certain alternates, like Wedding/Builder Mario and BotW/Tunic Link, and even Woolly Yoshi, meant we'd be getting more than 8 for many characters this time... so this kinda stings.
that video wont load. Maybe it was taken down? do you have another way to watch?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm still disturbed with the Fire Mario palette being absent. It's Mario's most notable power-up in the entire Super Mario series.

Whereas, for Black Yoshi, its special abilities were only seen in Yoshi's Story. After that game, it just wasn't any different from the other Yoshi colors.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Square Enix is involved in making Boshi, then I don't think he'll be getting any references; there isn't a single Spirit that's from a franchise that Square Enix owns.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, like Zinith I could've sworn Geno was shown during the Direct. Doing a quick Google search got me to this tweet: https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1058010190468005889
...but when searching through the Direct myself, I can't actually seem to find this specific scene, so...... I don't even know anymore.

Whatever the case, regardless of whether he's actually shown or not, Geno did appear as a Mii Fighter costume in Smash 4, so I don't think it's entirely impossible for Boshi to make a small appearance as a Spirit here. And honestly, the Yoshi species is still property of Nintendo, so can't they just.. put Boshi into anything they want, since he is a Yoshi, thus belonging to Nintendo, even if this particular Yoshi individual was created by Square? I'm not entirely sure how that works, legally.

Edit: on a side note, I just realized Yoshi got the short end of the stick regarding the original 8 AGAIN. He was the only one not shown at all in the World of Light trailer. Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus, Fox, Donkey Kong and of course Kirby were all shown, even if briefly, but not Yoshi. Big fat UUUUUGH.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yosher Yosher : This does ask the question on if Yoshi avoided Galeem's attack. If so, he and Kirby would be the only original 8 fighters to NOT be captured, which would be a plus to the Yoshi fans.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'm sure it's pretty much assumed that every single fighter is there on that cliff. After all, we see Donkey Kong in the initial shot after Fox says his line, but he's not seen after that trying to fight or escape the attack, among others. Besides, even if Yoshi wasn't there, the attack seemed to have covered the entire planet as shown after Kirby poofed out of existance, so I don't think he escaped. It would be pretty strange to show this grand cutscene where everybody got vaporized except Kirby, but when you start out and go to the character select menu, ''oh yeah Yoshi also escaped somehow so you can choose him too and all the other fighters we didn't bother to show''.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm sure it's pretty much assumed that every single fighter is there on that cliff. After all, we see Donkey Kong in the initial shot after Fox says his line, but he's not seen after that trying to fight or escape the attack, among others. Besides, even if Yoshi wasn't there, the attack seemed to have covered the entire planet as shown after Kirby poofed out of existance, so I don't think he escaped. It would be pretty strange to show this grand cutscene where everybody got vaporized except Kirby, but when you start out and go to the character select menu, ''oh yeah Yoshi also escaped somehow so you can choose him too and all the other fighters we didn't bother to show''.
Someone in the Ridley threads thinks this isn't the whole cutscene, and that it was cropped to fit in the trailer. But personally I feel it'd drag a bit if literally everyone was shown doing something.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Of course they couldn't have shown everyone doing something, with 70+ characters. I just think it's dumb that Yoshi, as a member of the original 8, keeps getting the short end of the stick of that group of characters again and again and again and ag.... you get the picture.

In the end it's really not that big a deal, but as a Yoshi fans it is a little frustrating honestly.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There are definitely some big questions to ask for the characters who did not appear in the trailer. Ness was also missing, and he apparently has a skill that could theoretically enable him to escape from Galeem's grasp; he was mentioned in this thread.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Ness teleports immediately to any place he's been to before though, which, when considering the attack covers the entire planet, won't keep him safe, so I don't really buy that argument. It's possible of course, but I don't believe it's the case. And what COULD have happened isn't always what HAS actually happened. Kirby literally poofs out of existance for the duration of the attack which explains why he escaped, but that's not the case for Ness. Of course as meleebrawler meleebrawler says, what we saw might not have been the whole cutscene and more characters could have been shown escaping, or maybe in seperate cutscenes shown later on, but that remains to be seen I guess.

Either way Yoshi wasn't seen in this particular scene, still being the only one of the original 8 not to be shown in the scene, which was my entire point as he's left out of a lot of these things. He also wasn't in the E3 demo. And going back to Smash 4, he wasn't in any character reveal trailers and was the only one of the original 8 to not appear in the game's reveal trailer either, he wasn't in any newcomer artwork (except for Bayonetta because they needed an excuse for winged characters), and the only time he appeared in the game's opening was when he was getting his ass kicked. Heck, going further back, Peach had matching parasol colors before Yoshi had matching egg colors. And both Brawl and Smash 4 had incredibly few trophies for Yoshi, at the very least they could've put Kamek and Shy Guy under the Yoshi section.

My apologies if I sound salty or unappreciative and I know there's way worse things in the world than this, but I just wish Yoshi was a little more recognized in line with the other members of the original 8. I'm still very happy he's here at least and I do appreciate Smash and all the work they put into the series, but... it's just a kind of frustrating to be honest.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ness teleports immediately to any place he's been to before though, which, when considering the attack covers the entire planet, won't keep him safe, so I don't really buy that argument. It's possible of course, but I don't believe it's the case. And what COULD have happened isn't always what HAS actually happened. Kirby literally poofs out of existance for the duration of the attack which explains why he escaped, but that's not the case for Ness. Of course as meleebrawler meleebrawler says, what we saw might not have been the whole cutscene and more characters could have been shown escaping, or maybe in seperate cutscenes shown later on, but that remains to be seen I guess.

Either way Yoshi wasn't seen in this particular scene, still being the only one of the original 8 not to be shown in the scene, which was my entire point as he's left out of a lot of these things. He also wasn't in the E3 demo. And going back to Smash 4, he wasn't in any character reveal trailers and was the only one of the original 8 to not appear in the game's reveal trailer either, he wasn't in any newcomer artwork (except for Bayonetta because they needed an excuse for winged characters), and the only time he appeared in the game's opening was when he was getting his *** kicked. Heck, going further back, Peach had matching parasol colors before Yoshi had matching egg colors. And both Brawl and Smash 4 had incredibly few trophies for Yoshi, at the very least they could've put Kamek and Shy Guy under the Yoshi section.

My apologies if I sound salty or unappreciative and I know there's way worse things in the world than this, but I just wish Yoshi was a little more recognized in line with the other members of the original 8. I'm still very happy he's here at least and I do appreciate Smash and all the work they put into the series, but... it's just a kind of frustrating to be honest.
I don't see why seniority alone warrants you be treated better than others. Can't you be happy that it at least guarantees he'll be playable before anyone else?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I don't see why seniority alone warrants you be treated better than others. Can't you be happy that it at least guarantees he'll be playable before anyone else?
Oh of course, I am happy for that. It's mostly a personal nitpick than anything really and I'll still continue to hope Yoshi will get some proper recognition in the future, but while it can be frustrating, I also fully understand that other series have gotten priority over Yoshi. That doesn't mean I'm not happy at all with what we DO get though, I never meant to imply otherwise. I mean, Yoshi is in Smash and even represented as his own series; that's a lot more than fans of Golden Sun or the Nintendo Wars series can say, among others, and for that I am grateful! I just wish that, among the original 8, Yoshi wouldn't get sidelined as often as he is, that's all.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The game emphasized the Original 8, not me or Yosher. The least I could expect is to treat the 8 members equally and not leave one of them in the dust. The theme comes off as shallow otherwise.

Plus, even if Yoshi wasn't an OG 8, he should've been acknowledged more. He is one of the most recognizable Nintendo characters after all...

Top Bottom