• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Egg-Cellent Dinosaurl! Yoshi in Smash Ultimate Thread!

Will Yoshi recive substantial changes in Smash Switch?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No...

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Technically, there are limits to what Yoshi can eat, since it's impossible for him to eat a Tap-Tap, and a Chomp Rock can't be eaten at all.

In a similar manner, Kirby could never inhale a Gordo or a Scarfy, and he can't inhale mid-bosses at all until he's defeated them.
It's not about "what can he eat canonically in his own games that he can eat in Smash," it's about "if the other characters can ingest items with their Neutral B's, why not Yoshi?" If they can do it for WARIO of all people then Yoshi should.

Also what he can or can't eat is inconsistent across games anyways (Piranha Plants, Bullet Bills etc.)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The point of the rocks is to move them around anyways.

just design choices, they could've made him able to hold it but they just made them as mini obstacles for numerous stages in terms of how you use em since some stages requires 2 to stack onto or just as a platform since carrying the rock in his mouth wouldn't be much of a challenge.

And what zinith said, wario doesn't eat anything but garlic in his games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7eQyuGS9g#t=4m33s

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
just design choices, they could've made him able to hold it but they just made them as mini obstacles for numerous stages in terms of how you use em since some stages requires 2 to stack onto or just as a platform since carrying the rock in his mouth wouldn't be much of a challenge.
Having him push Chomp Rocks is a lot better than having to have EIGHT Yoshis pushing the same sized rocks.

*sigh* Partners in Time, why do you have to exist...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
There's something about Smash 4 Yoshi that's eating in the back of my mind. As you may all know, his metagame is kind of a dumpster fire (well, most character's metagames are dumpster fires, but you get my point), and there's aspects of it that no one can really control. But one thing I think can be controlled is communication between Yoshi mains.

I'm not new to Smash, but I am new to the whole social aspect of it. From the way I'm looking at it, all the structures that held Yoshi's metagame into place--Discord, the Yoshi thread here in SB, Reddit, etc.--seem to have imploded, and Bayonetta and Cloud can hardly be blamed for that. I kinda want to get ahead of the curve for Smash 5 and avoid the communication pitfalls that led Yoshi mains down a dark path (and yes, I'll be maining Yoshi without knowing how he plays. "Hahaha, that's our Zinith!!!"). But like I said, I'm new to the social aspect of Smash. How can this be avoided?
I'll probably stay with him alongside Lucas as i've been doing since Brawl unless Crash Bandicoot somehow joins the roster.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
Having him push Chomp Rocks is a lot better than having to have EIGHT Yoshis pushing the same sized rocks.

*sigh* Partners in Time, why do you have to exist...
Because the Shroobs are awesome, that's why. But yeah, I forgot about Yoshi's sudden lack of upper body strength in that game.

But while we're talking about what Yoshi can eat, can Yoshi eat Pikmin? I don't think he can, but I haven't tried it. Shutting down Olimar like that woul be even funnier than not being able to push a Chomp Rock!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Yoshi wouldn't be able eat the same kind of items though. Kirby, Wario, and Dedede can swallow a whole crate, but Yoshi would need more than his tongue to pull that off.
Nah, Yoshi can and has eaten some pretty big things in his own series (he can even lay huge eggs). It's no big deal.

Besides, Kirby and Dedede clearly struggle a little bit when they eat something big like a barrel. No reason why Yoshi wouldn't follow.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'll probably stay with him alongside Lucas as i've been doing since Brawl unless Crash Bandicoot somehow joins the roster.
If Crash comes to Smash, he's definitely my secondary. No questions asked.

I can see many people on this thread won't ditch Yoshi, but in terms of the bigger picture, I'm not sure. The Smash community has treated him like absolute garbage historically. If he's good (like 64 and Sm4sh), the few weaknesses he has will be justifications to dump him and go for someone else. If he's bad (Brawl), people will forget he even exists despite even worse characters (Zelda and Jigglypuff) getting so much attention. I want to change that, but I can't do that alone

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi is not really good in Smash 4, specially after the DLC characters came out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi is not really good in Smash 4, specially after the DLC characters came out.
It does not help when you're one of those characters who has too much start-up lag for his/her grab, and even if you do manage to grab someone, the throws have very little KO potential. Also, the d-throw's BKB is too high for Yoshi to get any kind of good follow-up in, even at low damage percentages.

There's a rather good reason why I went through the trouble of modifying Yoshi's moveset.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi had a specific problems that hurt his viability in Melee and Brawl, such as his slow(er) grab and not being able to act out of shield. When you compare Smash 4 Yoshi to those, it's no contest...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know, all this talk about Yoshi getting a tether or being able to eat items has me realizing something. Sakurai has a worrying pattern of depriving Yoshi of essential things for two whole games. Remember how he looked before Smash 4. He was basically a hunchback awkward dinosaur, and it made sense for 64 and Melee as his anthropomorphic design wasn't well established at the time. But BRAWL?!!! He should've been upright by that time and considering Brawl's development cycle, it wasn't due to a lack of time. Also, remember his out-of-shield options in Melee and Brawl? *rage intensifies* God, if it wasn't for the fact that Project M exists, I would've considered Sakurai the person who cared about Yoshi the least!!!

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So it's 12 hours until the E3 Direct and as such the first bit of Smash Bros. gameplay we'll get to see. If the silhouette in the teaser is anything to go by, its like;y Yoshi will be playable on the showfloor. If we're lucky he maybe even featured in the Invitational. As such we will get to see what changes were made to him and I am stoked for that (*cough*tether recovery*cough*).

Here's to E3!!! May Yoshi rise again!!!

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh, you knew I'd have something to say about Yoshi after all that.

It looks like my worst fear has come true. They did not talk about Yoshi while they were doing the character update rollcall AND if the Treehouse event is anything to go by, he's not playable on the showfloor. WHY SAKURAI, WHY?!!!

However, I found it odd that they revealed him AFTER the title reveal along with Luigi in a very awkward manor. What are they planning?

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So how is this new sub-forum gonna go? Will there be a separate Official Smash Ultimate Yoshi Social thread or something? I don't want to make a move if I feel the mods don't want me to just yet.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So how is this new sub-forum gonna go? Will there be a separate Official Smash Ultimate Yoshi Social thread or something? I don't want to make a move if I feel the mods don't want me to just yet.
'Sup.

This thread can just be retooled into a social thread, or a new one can be made. It ultimately doesn't matter.

'm not new to Smash, but I am new to the whole social aspect of it. From the way I'm looking at it, all the structures that held Yoshi's metagame into place--Discord, the Yoshi thread here in SB, Reddit, etc.--seem to have imploded, and Bayonetta and Cloud can hardly be blamed for that. I kinda want to get ahead of the curve for Smash 5 and avoid the communication pitfalls that led Yoshi mains down a dark path (and yes, I'll be maining Yoshi without knowing how he plays. "Hahaha, that's our Zinith!!!"). But like I said, I'm new to the social aspect of Smash. How can this be avoided?
I wrote a pretty extensive response to this topic in the Smash4 Yoshi boards, but basically we need to incentivize people to actually want to stay on Smashboards. We need quick, valuable responses to video critiques, and we need some way of recognizing/rewarding top contributors (not players, they inherently get recognition and reward by being good). If people feel their presence on the boards is valuable, they'll be more inclined to stay.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
'Sup.

This thread can just be retooled into a social thread, or a new one can be made. It ultimately doesn't matter.

I wrote a pretty extensive response to this topic in the Smash4 Yoshi boards, but basically we need to incentivize people to actually want to stay on Smashboards. We need quick, valuable responses to video critiques, and we need some way of recognizing/rewarding top contributors (not players, they inherently get recognition and reward by being good). If people feel their presence on the boards is valuable, they'll be more inclined to stay.
Thank you for the response. I'm willing to contribute what I can to help out Yoshi players even if I'm not a competitive player.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Posted this in the Yoshi discord, anyone else spot Yoshi's new (presumed) Ftilt?
It looks like they're playing around with a few of his animations such as his grab/pummel, running or walking, and a couple other little things. This is kinda hype

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Posted this in the Yoshi discord, anyone else spot Yoshi's new (presumed) Ftilt?
It looks like they're playing around with a few of his animations such as his grab/pummel, running or walking, and a couple other little things. This is kinda hype
Yes, I brought that up in a thread. I haven't heard anyone else bring that up until now

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Thank you for the response. I'm willing to contribute what I can to help out Yoshi players even if I'm not a competitive player.
There are plenty of great contributors to Smash that aren't necessarily top/competitive players. The best way to contribute on the boards is to just write well and ensure your analysis is actually well thought out and reasoned.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hope this is ok to keep posting pics and links here, Yoshi has a revised dash attack at 3:08: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPoLktfWyJU

It travels less distance and has less end lag. There's also a little more footage of what I'm assuming to be a running animation, despite seeing his old one in the same clip. (better off viewing the vid frame by frame for those who care for the little detail)

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I know we haven't got a look at what Yoshi's Final Smash is, but I'm almost 100% certain it will be Mega Eggdozer.

Before I just thought it would be a neat replacement for Super Dragon, but now that Sakurai disconfirmed slow and involved Final Smashes, Super Dragon (at least in it's current form) is out of the picture.

I get the feeling I'm hijacking this thread away from Peridot

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I love his new dash animation, it looks so adorable

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
Smash 4 was pretty solid with the color choices already, they were only missing orange and white. If it's gonna be only 8 costumes this time around, oh well....
yeah I mean I'll be happy with anything I just wondered if they'd go with yarn **** or anything.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Obvious example but I can easily see it go awry. The one thing Yoshi needs but is almost never given is hype, and if it means I have to generate it single-handedly, by God I'll do it!!!

Also, I want to know out of the people who main Yoshi in Smash 4, what's the likelyhood that you'll stick to him in the next Smash? I'm not being accusatory or anything. I get it, most people switch mains across games for various reasons. I just want to get a glimpse of what his support base is going into this game (for me, I'm maining Yoshi 100%. He basically possesses my soul). If the chances of people maining him are low across the board, then it might seem like we need to go back to square one.

There is no distance too great for me to squeeze conversation out in regards to Yoshi
I'm sticking with Yoshi because it would be tough for me to switch to anyone else. He is the only character I have ever played as since 64 and he feels so much different from any other character on the roster. In all honesty, I don't know how to play Smash... I know how to play Yoshi. If I'm anybody other than Yoshi you'd think you are playing against a 5-year-old hahaaaaaa... ^_^"

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm sticking with Yoshi because it would be tough for me to switch to anyone else. He is the only character I have ever played as since 64 and he feels so much different from any other character on the roster. In all honesty, I don't know how to play Smash... I know how to play Yoshi. If I'm anybody other than Yoshi you'd think you are playing against a 5-year-old hahaaaaaa... ^_^"
Great minds think alike

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
In the super off chance Crash gets added I'll happily try to learn him and he will be my much needed secondary. Solo maining Yoshi has probably knocked 5 years off of my life.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In the super off chance Crash gets added I'll happily try to learn him and he will be my much needed secondary. Solo maining Yoshi has probably knocked 5 years off of my life.
Crash is one of my most wanted newcomers too. I actually grew up with a PlayStation and not an N64. If he gets in, he'll be my secondary as well

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
My God what a ****y week it's been for Yoshi
I guess? I personally liked the Yoshi/Luigi joke at the end of the trailer. Also, him not being a playable character isn’t “Yoshi getting shafted”. For one thing, Dr Robotnik was saying that at E3 a developer went on record saying that “yoshi was the only veteran of the original 8 not playable because he’s not done and may be redesigned to be a parry character”. So don’t read too much into any of this stuff because it seems like none of us have a real grasp as to what they’re trying to do with Yoshi yet.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
For one thing, Dr Robotnik was saying that at E3 a developer went on record saying that “yoshi was the only veteran of the original 8 not playable because he’s not done and may be redesigned to be a parry character”.
That's kinda interesting to get that kinda info from one of the Devs, seems like they like the whole parry concept that Melee Yoshi has so they're possibly trying to make that work into his kit since melee shield/parry is like the new SU perfect shields.

When you think about it in every smash game if Yoshi spammed shield, the egg still showed up and pieces of the egg flew all around him when he broke out of it.
For Ultimate when you look at his 20 second vid while he's spamming shield after he threw Mr. Saturn, it never appears and just shows his usual animation when popping in and out of shield.

So it either could've been 1. Unfinished shield stuff that they're still working on. Or 2. That's maybe near the final build of what they have in mind for Yoshi with shield not appearing at all like Melee.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I guess? I personally liked the Yoshi/Luigi joke at the end of the trailer. Also, him not being a playable character isn’t “Yoshi getting shafted”. For one thing, Dr Robotnik was saying that at E3 a developer went on record saying that “yoshi was the only veteran of the original 8 not playable because he’s not done and may be redesigned to be a parry character”. So don’t read too much into any of this stuff because it seems like none of us have a real grasp as to what they’re trying to do with Yoshi yet.
I wasn't just talking about Smash

Top Bottom