• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Egg-Cellent Dinosaurl! Yoshi in Smash Ultimate Thread!

Will Yoshi recive substantial changes in Smash Switch?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No...

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

This thread is for discussing Yoshi in Super Smash Bros Ultimatem and any changes you've seen and other Yoshi discussion

Personally, I think they should've changed his Final Smash to the Eggdozer from Yoshi's New Island. It would work like the Pokeball Pokémon Meloetta, with the egg bouncing across the stage, doing heavy damage to everyone in it's path.

Discord Thread
https://discord.gg/ayhMa4
So what do you think will happen to Yoshi in Smash Ultimate? Discuss!

Last edited:

Slip33

Smash Cadet
For his egg-lay attack: It be nice if the bring back the different sizes of the egg, depending on the character, like in 64 and Melee. Starting with Brawl and up, it seems as though they made a standard size egg. Often too small for the bigger characters(Dedede, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Ganon etc..

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
For his egg-lay attack: It be nice if the bring back the different sizes of the egg, depending on the character, like in 64 and Melee. Starting with Brawl and up, it seems as though they made a standard size egg. Often too small for the bigger characters(Dedede, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Ganon etc..
Yeah, they should probably make it more noticible. The strange thing is that distinctfully large Eggs DO exist, at least in Smash 3DS. The enemies in Smash Run vary quite a bit in egg size.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How about this change for egg lay? Let you move the egg after. Trap someone in the egg and be able to knock it around after. Huge for positioning.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Definitely down for a tether grab with neutral B.

Bit more range on his grabs wouldn't go amiss either since canonically that tongue should be thrice the size it currently is.

Morbi

Scavenger
In my opinion, Yoshi keeps getting more and more fun. I rarely, if ever, played him in Smash 64. I played him a bit in Melee, nothing substantial. In Brawl, he started catching my attention and I would use him for fun. In Smash 4, I legitimately considered maining him. He is amazing. If they continue with this trend, I probably will pick him up in the next game.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
In my opinion, Yoshi keeps getting more and more fun. I rarely, if ever, played him in Smash 64. I played him a bit in Melee, nothing substantial. In Brawl, he started catching my attention and I would use him for fun. In Smash 4, I legitimately considered maining him. He is amazing. If they continue with this trend, I probably will pick him up in the next game.
Yoshi used to be a noob crusher kind of character because his djc and lack of an up b recovery move got people's killed, so I can imagine a lot of peoplle not enjoying him in the olden days. I still want that djc back

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
All I want is a new Side-Special. Egg Roll is incredibly useless and nobody can tell me otherwise. :laugh:

Otherwise, just give me the Yoshi from Sm4sh with a few buffs.

There's nothing I'd really want to change about them besides side-B. I definitely wouldn't complain about a tether grab at all, though. I do love Yoshi's Story.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
All I want is a new Side-Special. Egg Roll is incredibly useless and nobody can tell me otherwise. :laugh:

Otherwise, just give me the Yoshi from Sm4sh with a few buffs.

There's nothing I'd really want to change about them besides side-B. I definitely wouldn't complain about a tether grab at all, though. I do love Yoshi's Story.
Yeah, they should probably swap out the Side Special for something else. I have no idea, but maybe something from Yoshi Switch?

EDIT: I just got an idea. Maybe Poochy, who works as a mix of his current Side Special, Villager's FS, and the Pokeball Gogoat. You can summon Poochy, who appears in front of you. After a second or two, he starts running forward. The reason for the delay is so that you can get on him to travel. He goes forward in the direction the character riding him is looking/straight forward. He does more damage going without Yoshi, but the turnoff is that if a Character gets on him, he does what that character wants. I know it's not much better then the current one, but it's an idea.

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Hello,
Brother of a Yoshi main here. My sister has mained Yoshi ever since she could pick up a controller.

Her suggestions for changes for Yoshi would be to be able use the neutral b to eat enemies and then use them as ammo. Throw them off the stage a bit? Or perhaps throw them at other opponents. But I suppose you shouldn't be able to throw them too far to avoid being too powerful..??

And she has always hated the side b. She doesn't know what she wants to replace she just knows it wants to go away.

So there's the suggestions from my little sister!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Hello,
Brother of a Yoshi main here. My sister has mained Yoshi ever since she could pick up a controller.

Her suggestions for changes for Yoshi would be to be able use the neutral b to eat enemies and then use them as ammo. Throw them off the stage a bit? Or perhaps throw them at other opponents. But I suppose you shouldn't be able to throw them too far to avoid being too powerful..??

And she has always hated the side b. She doesn't know what she wants to replace she just knows it wants to go away.

So there's the suggestions from my little sister!
Yeah, Side B should probably change. I had an idea for it up above.

[Maybe Poochy, who works as a mix of his current Side Special, Villager's FS, and the Pokeball Gogoat. You can summon Poochy, who appears in front of you. After a second or two, he starts running forward. The reason for the delay is so that you can get on him to travel. He goes forward in the direction the character riding him is looking/straight forward. He does more damage going without Yoshi, but the turnoff is that if a Character gets on him, he does what that character wants. I know it's not much better then the current one, but it's an idea.

As for Neutral-B, I feel it's fine as is. The throwable version seems too powerful.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So the poll's done, and 78.6% of you don't think that Yoshi will be getting major changes in Smash 5. That's what I voted for too. 3 people think he may get major changes, which I find rather unlikely.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Why is this thread--out of all the other Veterans--so dead. It's not like Yoshi is "okay" the way he is. He's obviously not, being low-mid to mid-low tier in every game except Smash 64 (which isn't saying much). If he's not getting significant buffs this time around, then sword characters should get significant nerfs to make up for it...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah, basically people who were too used to Melee and Brawl's Yoshi being underwhelming and not realizing he got a major overhaul. Heard it all before...

It's depressing to be honest

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lately, I've been doing a good amount of adjustments to Yoshi's moveset. It's still in development, however, as I do have to make sure that the adjustments aren't too overpowering.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Lately, I've been doing a good amount of adjustments to Yoshi's moveset. It's still in development, however, as I do have to make sure that the adjustments aren't too overpowering.
I'll save you time on one of those moves.

You know how Yoshi can not only Wall Jump but can CLING ONTO WALLS INDEFINITELY? Out of the question. He would be practically ungimpable at that point.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'll save you time on one of those moves.

You know how Yoshi can not only Wall Jump but can CLING ONTO WALLS INDEFINITELY? Out of the question. He would be practically ungimpable at that point.
I don't think that it's too powerful to get in. It should be like the wall clings Lucario and Greninja have, exept it's executed similar to a tether grab.

Why is this thread--out of all the other Veterans--so dead. It's not like Yoshi is "okay" the way he is. He's obviously not, being low-mid to mid-low tier in every game except Smash 64 (which isn't saying much). If he's not getting significant buffs this time around, then sword characters should get significant nerfs to make up for it...
It's sad, but I think I know why. He hasn't had a recent game that adds to their moveset (Mario, Link, Kirby). He isn't an extremely low tier that needs buffed (Zelda, Jigglypuff) or a high tier that needs nerfed (Bayo, Diddy). He isn't a clone that needs some adjustments (Ganondorf, Dark Pit). Some other characters in this spot have dead threads too (Ness, Pikachu).

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There's something about Smash 4 Yoshi that's eating in the back of my mind. As you may all know, his metagame is kind of a dumpster fire (well, most character's metagames are dumpster fires, but you get my point), and there's aspects of it that no one can really control. But one thing I think can be controlled is communication between Yoshi mains.

I'm not new to Smash, but I am new to the whole social aspect of it. From the way I'm looking at it, all the structures that held Yoshi's metagame into place--Discord, the Yoshi thread here in SB, Reddit, etc.--seem to have imploded, and Bayonetta and Cloud can hardly be blamed for that. I kinda want to get ahead of the curve for Smash 5 and avoid the communication pitfalls that led Yoshi mains down a dark path (and yes, I'll be maining Yoshi without knowing how he plays. "Hahaha, that's our Zinith!!!"). But like I said, I'm new to the social aspect of Smash. How can this be avoided?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There's something about Smash 4 Yoshi that's eating in the back of my mind. As you may all know, his metagame is kind of a dumpster fire (well, most character's metagames are dumpster fires, but you get my point), and there's aspects of it that no one can really control. But one thing I think can be controlled is communication between Yoshi mains.

I'm not new to Smash, but I am new to the whole social aspect of it. From the way I'm looking at it, all the structures that held Yoshi's metagame into place--Discord, the Yoshi thread here in SB, Reddit, etc.--seem to have imploded, and Bayonetta and Cloud can hardly be blamed for that. I kinda want to get ahead of the curve for Smash 5 and avoid the communication pitfalls that led Yoshi mains down a dark path (and yes, I'll be maining Yoshi without knowing how he plays. "Hahaha, that's our Zinith!!!"). But like I said, I'm new to the social aspect of Smash. How can this be avoided?
I don't really know, but I would start things up as fast as possible. We can start up the Yoshi Discord and stuff shortly before the game releases, and promote it heavily so later Yoshi Mains can find it.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't really know, but I would start things up as fast as possible. We can start up the Yoshi Discord and stuff shortly before the game releases, and promote it heavily so later Yoshi Mains can find it.
Obvious example but I can easily see it go awry. The one thing Yoshi needs but is almost never given is hype, and if it means I have to generate it single-handedly, by God I'll do it!!!

Also, I want to know out of the people who main Yoshi in Smash 4, what's the likelyhood that you'll stick to him in the next Smash? I'm not being accusatory or anything. I get it, most people switch mains across games for various reasons. I just want to get a glimpse of what his support base is going into this game (for me, I'm maining Yoshi 100%. He basically possesses my soul). If the chances of people maining him are low across the board, then it might seem like we need to go back to square one.

There is no distance too great for me to squeeze conversation out in regards to Yoshi

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Obvious example but I can easily see it go awry. The one thing Yoshi needs but is almost never given is hype, and if it means I have to generate it single-handedly, by God I'll do it!!!

Also, I want to know out of the people who main Yoshi in Smash 4, what's the likelyhood that you'll stick to him in the next Smash? I'm not being accusatory or anything. I get it, most people switch mains across games for various reasons. I just want to get a glimpse of what his support base is going into this game (for me, I'm maining Yoshi 100%. He basically possesses my soul). If the chances of people maining him are low across the board, then it might seem like we need to go back to square one.

There is no distance too great for me to squeeze conversation out in regards to Yoshi
Probably. I've mained him since Brawl, so It'll take some heavy changes for me to stop. It'll probabaly be a duel-main though, unless Lucas and Villager are cut and we get no new characters that interest me.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I've stuck with Yoshi since day one, I'm very unlikely to abandon him at this point especially since I found for the most part Sm4sh's Yoshi to be slightly more comfortable for me than Brawl's Yoshi(although IMO (PAL) Melee's version ALSO beat Brawl).

HOWEVER if the other half of my name gets in, then the ol' Yoshster may have to share that Smash spotlight for me.

As for Yoshi himself, most the tweaks I want are to his grabs and throws. More range on the grab(read; FAR MORE RANGE) and a little more potential for comboing from a throw. It's a little criminal he has so few follow up options from his throws.

A bit more speed wouldn't go amiss either. Yoshi's supposed to be one of, if not THE fastest Mario character(Toad aside) but he doesn't feel very fast at all to me.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Probably. I've mained him since Brawl, so It'll take some heavy changes for me to stop. It'll probabaly be a duel-main though, unless Lucas and Villager are cut and we get no new characters that interest me.
I've stuck with Yoshi since day one, I'm very unlikely to abandon him at this point especially since I found for the most part Sm4sh's Yoshi to be slightly more comfortable for me than Brawl's Yoshi(although IMO (PAL) Melee's version ALSO beat Brawl).

HOWEVER if the other half of my name gets in, then the ol' Yoshster may have to share that Smash spotlight for me.

As for Yoshi himself, most the tweaks I want are to his grabs and throws. More range on the grab(read; FAR MORE RANGE) and a little more potential for comboing from a throw. It's a little criminal he has so few follow up options from his throws.

A bit more speed wouldn't go amiss either. Yoshi's supposed to be one of, if not THE fastest Mario character(Toad aside) but he doesn't feel very fast at all to me.
Yeah, I can see you two sticking to him, but I'm not so about the rest. I get sort of a complex when it comes to Smash seeing how Yoshi gets treated (from the player perspective, the developer side is a whole different story). I get the feeling that even if he were to become Smash 5's Meta Knight, where he has no bad MUs and picking him will basically guarantee a win, people STILL won't pick Yoshi up because of some stigma...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, I finally have my moveset adjustments to Yoshi all finished up. You can check them out at the following link...

https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/6806

It's just a shame that these adjustments will likely fall on deaf ears in the eyes of Nintendo.
I really like it. You just focused on what he has NOW and not speculation on new movesets, and that's good. Yeah, it will likely fall on deaf ears.

Although you do use Mario as a KO comparison but the pics show you using Dr. Mario. Are they of the same weight?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really like it. You just focused on what he has NOW and not speculation on new movesets, and that's good. Yeah, it will likely fall on deaf ears.

Although you do use Mario as a KO comparison but the pics show you using Dr. Mario. Are they of the same weight?
Mario and Dr. Mario share the same weight. Keep note, however, that even though Mario was the test subject for testing out my adjustments, that doesn't mean that I'll use him as the attack target while setting up the screenshots.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Just so you know, my paranoid fears about Yoshi being scrapped by players has some merit. I remember when Smash 4 first came out pre-patches and Yoshi was talked about being a top-tier contender (Top 15? *****, try Top 3!!!). And EVEN THEN people still didn't want to play as him.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Yoshi should be able to eat items/projectiles with his neutral b like wario/kirby/dedede.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi should be able to eat items/projectiles with his neutral b like wario/kirby/dedede.
My god. I'm usually the one harping on about Yoshi getting shafted by unfair design choices, but even I didn't catch on to that. He absolutely should do that if the other "appetite-based" characters could do it!!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
My god. I'm usually the one harping on about Yoshi getting shafted by unfair design choices, but even I didn't catch on to that. He absolutely should do that if the other "appetite-based" characters could do it!!
It's literally the main function of Yoshi's Island. This has bothered me ever since Brawl lol.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi wouldn't be able eat the same kind of items though. Kirby, Wario, and Dedede can swallow a whole crate, but Yoshi would need more than his tongue to pull that off.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi has historically ate things 5+ times his size in both games and anime/cartoons.
The first game he appeared in you literally carry around a baby Yoshi to eat entire koopa's, the size of the character eating something shouldn't matter since kirby is a walking beach ball eating entire buildings and Wario never eats anything bigger than him in any games.

No logic in Smash, just like the rage mechanic in smash 4 lul

Attachments

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi has historically ate things 5+ times his size in both games and anime/cartoons.
The first game he appeared in you literally carry around a baby Yoshi to eat entire koopa's, the size of the character eating something shouldn't matter since kirby is a walking beach ball eating entire buildings and Wario never eats anything bigger than him in any games.

No logic in Smash, just like the rage mechanic in smash 4 lul
Technically, there are limits to what Yoshi can eat, since it's impossible for him to eat a Tap-Tap, and a Chomp Rock can't be eaten at all.

In a similar manner, Kirby could never inhale a Gordo or a Scarfy, and he can't inhale mid-bosses at all until he's defeated them.

Top Bottom