• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Edmonton Melee Power Ranking (updated: March 2010)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Edmonton Melee Power Ranking
Cause Calgary doesn't exist.

(Special thanks to the BC Power Ranking thread.)
Although Brawl has become fairly popular in Canada (mainly in the east region), here in Alberta, Melee is still dominating the competitive smash scene. This Power Ranking is to promote friendly competitions, motivation to improve and to give players from other regions an idea of how we rank compared to one another.

PANELISTS:
| Afterdawn | Alphicans |FalseFalco | Victra |

POSITION CRITERIA:

• Tournament performance. This is a big factor. Even if you do great against your friend in friendlies, doesn't mean you'll be above him on the PR. This isn't a "How well you do against your friends" list This is to see who is more likely to win a tournament. So we look not only at your tournament placing, but who you played in your brackets, and in some cases, who you played in pools.

• Consistency. Any good smasher needs to be consistent. When we're considering your ranking, we look at how well you do in tournaments over all as well as how well you do in friendlies etc over the span of the tournament day(s).

• Activity. For us to accurately rank you, you must be an active member of the smash community. This means that you must show up for tournaments as well as local smashfests in order for us to have a general idea to accurately assess your skill level.

Melee Power Ranking

Legend
* dictates a new addition

01. -:marth: :fox:FalseFalco
02. -:marth: :fox: SuPeRbOoMfAn
03. -:falcon: :marth: MikeMonkey
04. -:toonlink: :fox: Alphicans
05. -:fox: :falco: Dragonz
06. -:samus2: :samus2: Solaris
07. -:falcon: :peach: Victra
08. -:falco: :sheik: LemonLau
09. -:falcon: :fox: Halcyon.Days
10. -:falco: :marth: After Dawn

So feel free to post your opinions and suggestions in this thread, just make sure you back them up. Also, try to keep the flaming and what not to a minimum.

Updates:
Check regularly for changes.

Dec. 07, 2008
Posted the original PR.

Dec. 08, 2008
- Moved Mach5 up 1 spot
- Moved down Ermine down 1 spot
- Added Rileyzor to Roy Tier

Dec. 12, 2008
- Added K Lover to Roy Tier
- Added Prized Pig to Roy Tier

Dec.13, 2008
- Added After Dawn to Roy Tier
- Removed After Dawn off PR.

Dec.24, 2008
- Added Spin-Dash to Roy Tier

Jan.5, 2009
-Removed Levi from Panelists

April 5, 2009
-Added Smarms, L3M0NZ, Farguade and Wolfman Hansome to Roy Tier

August 8, 2009
-Removed a bunch of people, changed mains.

August 9, 2009
-Update

Nov 2, 2009
-Cropped to top 10.

Jan 5, 2010
-Screw Calgary =D

Mar 12, 2010
-Update

Tyson651

Smash Lord
lol i would have thought mike -> marth and stevo -> sheik would be more appropriate but w/e

edit: and lol at 10 marths, (4 foxes, 4 falcos, 3 sheiks,) 2 pikas, (2 samuses, 2 peaches, etc.)

Levi5

Smash Ace
When I get a tablet I can draw characters for us. Then we don't have to use ugly characters from blol.

Notes on the list:

• The general post: Should be more clear on what exactly Roy Tier is, seems a little vague to me.

• God Tier: Perfectly fine. If Dan works harder I see him moving back up into God. Also, Mike plays Marth.

• Top Tier:Sid should be above me, and likely will be after the next melee tournament.

• High Tier: Brad should be moved above Joel. Bread has consistently placed well in tournaments, whereas Joel is a little bit floppy in that area for the time being.

• Middle Tier: A little lenient on placings here. Alex should defz be higher, but hasn't entirely proven himself to be where I expect him to be.

• Low Tier: I expect to see a complete turnover with everyone in the tier. They will all move up quickly. Jarret should be moved up into Low as well

• Bottom Tier: See low Tier.

• Roy Tier: Should Include Riley & Sean
EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Kevin is too high. He slipped past me.
Move him below Allan.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I get no credit for anything I do =[ /Randall00emo

Uhhh, can you switch my picture (untill levi makes them) to ganon? Melee ganon?

Seriously, brawl ganon's butt ugly.

also lol, every active smasher?

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
No, I don't want to be on the list for now.

Besides, even though I feel like I would be higher on the list than Roy tier, there's nothing that I could be judged on to prove this, so I want to stay off it for now.

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
Mmmm, My #1 Concern is Crusher97, it seems he's left out in everything, and he now is a part of Alberta's community.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
High Tier
:shiek: xpiritflare
:falco: Tyson
:marth: MagnuM
:fox: Fastfox
:shiek: Kithkin
:fox: Victra
:marth: KillLock
fixed*

Fastfox seems high, so does MagnuM. I'd say Joel, Stu, Vic and Jack (maybe Brad and Tyson, never saw much of them) are all pretty much tied. Probably xpirity too but Sheik ***** Weegee so hard that I think I'm biased that Sheiks>others.

That's just what I'd say from CAST but that was only a weekend and everyone has good and bad days I guess so it probably doesn't have much merit :\

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
That list looks horrible, Dynamism. Go back to your BC thread. :)
lol that's why you're not supposed to take it too seriously. Didn't you read anything in the post? Also, what I posted has been backed up by almost all of the other posts so far so maybe your perception is horrible and not the random mini list of mine? Read first.

I guess some reasoning would be good though.

Vic and Joel both did equally well against me with their Foxy and Woxy. If Vic gets used to using Usmash like AT ALL then his game will improve and he would probably beat me. If Joel starts playing a more straight-forward game and capitalizes on things then he would probably beat me too.

Though, I was Luigi and that probably messes with peoples games. The Usmash would've helped Vic a ton and he may have won, but he didn't use it often enough and it being one of the most effective tools against floaties let me win. With Joels experience, I would've expected him to know a bit about the match up and he seemed to but couldn't make opportunities for himself because he relied too much of fancy tricks rather than simplicity so he gave me the win again.

Jack is good and considering he doesn't play much at all, he's probably better than Vic. By the end of the tournament, he was muchbetter than at the beginning because he got used to the game again. He is better than he first seems because he needs a warm up after not playing much for so long. Stu has a unique style and that's probably why he's a little difficult to deal with at first but I never played his Marth so I wouldn't know. I do know that Vic could've beat his Marth just as well as he beat his Fox.

That's all. =D

Oh, and Mach5 for top of Mid. He's more around Kithiez level than Ermiez (sorry Ermine lol)

EDIT: JUST OCCURED TO ME!!! Carl should be Marth too. That's who he used almost the whole time lol

Ermine

Smash Ace
lol that's why you're not supposed to take it too seriously. Didn't you read anything in the post? Also, what I posted has been backed up by almost all of the other posts so far so maybe your perception is horrible and not the random mini list of mine? Read first.

I guess some reasoning would be good though.

Vic and Joel both did equally well against me with their Foxy and Woxy. If Vic gets used to using Usmash like AT ALL then his game will improve and he would probably beat me. If Joel starts playing a more straight-forward game and capitalizes on things then he would probably beat me too.

Though, I was Luigi and that probably messes with peoples games. The Usmash would've helped Vic a ton and he may have won, but he didn't use it often enough and it being one of the most effective tools against floaties let me win. With Joels experience, I would've expected him to know a bit about the match up and he seemed to but couldn't make opportunities for himself because he relied too much of fancy tricks rather than simplicity so he gave me the win again.

Jack is good and considering he doesn't play much at all, he's probably better than Vic. By the end of the tournament, he was muchbetter than at the beginning because he got used to the game again. He is better than he first seems because he needs a warm up after not playing much for so long. Stu has a unique style and that's probably why he's a little difficult to deal with at first but I never played his Marth so I wouldn't know. I do know that Vic could've beat his Marth just as well as he beat his Fox.

That's all. =D

Oh, and Mach5 for top of Mid. He's more around Kithiez level than Ermiez (sorry Ermine lol)

EDIT: JUST OCCURED TO ME!!! Carl should be Marth too. That's who he used almost the whole time lol
Awww but me and Allan have awesome matches. (Friendlies don't count I know).

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If there is a single person besides Ermine himself who wants to keep Ermine where he is, let me know. Otherwise, I'm switching him with Allan.

It seems as though it's middle tier that has the biggest problems. We're all pretty even. heh.

Killlock is iffy beyond words. Basically, he's Regigigas and I don't think that's enough. It took him a loooong time to get warmed up at cast3.5 and cast4. I have to admit, the change is huge from the beginning of the day and the end of the day. All he has to do is drop Brawl or at least keep it at a minimum, and his Marth would be consistently fantastic. This is not the case at the moment, and Brawl is honestly whats holding him back from his true Melee potential.

Consistancy is a big thing, and you can't just blame it on things like "oh he didn't play for a long time." IIRC, John came to ADAT after not playing for more than a year and dominated, and then he comes to CAST4 after not playing since ADAT and still does good. Just saying.

Lastly, Matt and Jarrett are fine where they are I think. All I know is the groupings of the tiers are as accurate as it gets. Actually, Jarrett maybe should be in low.

Ermine

Smash Ace
If there is a single person besides Ermine himself who wants to keep Ermine where he is, let me know. Otherwise, I'm switching him with Allan.

It seems as though it's middle tier that has the biggest problems. We're all pretty even. heh.

Killlock is iffy beyond words. Basically, he's Regigigas and I don't think that's enough. It took him a loooong time to get warmed up at cast3.5 and cast4. I have to admit, the change is huge from the beginning of the day and the end of the day. All he has to do is drop Brawl or at least keep it at a minimum, and his Marth would be consistently fantastic. This is not the case at the moment, and Brawl is honestly whats holding him back from his true Melee potential.

Consistancy is a big thing, and you can't just blame it on things like "oh he didn't play for a long time." IIRC, John came to ADAT after not playing for more than a year and dominated, and then he comes to CAST4 after not playing since ADAT and still does good. Just saying.

Lastly, Matt and Jarrett are fine where they are I think. All I know is the groupings of the tiers are as accurate as it gets. Actually, Jarrett maybe should be in low.
I don't really mind if you switch me with Allan, I feel we are pretty even anyways, your call.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
That arrow isn't even necessary. It would be if it was an updated one, but it's not, it's just changed because people started discussing it. Take it away, it does make it look like he got worse :\.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
fixed*

Fastfox seems high, so does MagnuM. I'd say Joel, Stu, Vic and Jack (maybe Brad and Tyson, never saw much of them) are all pretty much tied. Probably xpirity too but Sheik ***** Weegee so hard that I think I'm biased that Sheiks>others.

That's just what I'd say from CAST but that was only a weekend and everyone has good and bad days I guess so it probably doesn't have much merit :\

aw what, dynamism, we played in teams lots! :(

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Basically, he's Regigigas and I don't think that's enough. It took him a loooong time to get warmed up at cast3.5 and cast4.
I love the metaphor, Victor. <3

About the arrows...there only needs to be one. There doesn't need to be one at each side of a / symbol. In fact, if it was me, I'd do a dash followed by an arrow. So like a -^ or -v, followed by the picture of the person's main.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
mmm. You're right Tyler.

At Kevin and Luke: Good grief you too. It's an update, and I'll treat it as such. I can see how it makes it seem like Kevin got worse but just because I put a down arrow next to Kevin's name doesn't mean his skill level irl is dropped.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Tyler... That was the old PR method >_>

*sigh*

Oh and uh, Sorry Kevin, but I do think Allan > you, just in overall matchups at least so yeah, swap em'

And Dynamism, we talked so much, I was the guy with the super mario bros 3 shirt, we played in teams me and tyson lots.

We beat you remember? =P

Oh and Tyler, two points, 1. MM's don't make a PR, especially between one person, Seriously, I had to learn this the hard way when placing Stu, since I beat him in MM's but didn't have anyone else's solid evidence to say he should be moved, especially since he may do better against other people than me.

and 2. You wern't there, you don't even know most of everyones skill levels. Not to say you don't get an input, but it's pretty uneducated so sorry if I turn down some of your points.

But yeah, Luke did beat me in a MM, just so you know. lol

kithkin

Smash Champion
Dynamism makes the best constructive points BY THE WAY.

Oh and Victor, I don't know if you are already, but remember to log updates at the bottom of your first post.

edit: VICTOR YOU BUTTMUNCH I SAID NOT BRAWL GANON, HES FUGLY, SERIOUSLY.

edit2: like can we just have a picture of the bulge? it's a pretty accurate representation of both ganon and me and my playstyle.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Exactly. MM could be taken into consideration, but not as heavily as say, tournament placings, bracket match ups, etc. Like Brad, I know this first hand as well. I'm liking your enthusiasm though Tyler. I hope to see you at the next Melee tournament, so you can get a spot up there. =3

mmm, I'll do that right now I suppose.

Also, Dyna is tight. Did I tell you guys? When he was driving us after cast3.5, we saw license plates with "MEW" and "UPB." It was so tight.

Also, Brad, I like Brawl Ganon. Oh, and yeah, about Chrusher. Whats the deal with this guy? He lives in Alberta now? Regardless of whether or not he's contributed to our community or not, he's still more of our smash circuit now. We can discuss his placement i suppose.

Ermine

Smash Ace
Exactly. MM could be taken into consideration, but not as heavily as say, tournament placings, bracket match ups, etc. Like Brad, I know this first hand as well. I'm liking your enthusiasm though Tyler. I hope to see you at the next Melee tournament, so you can get a spot up there. =3

mmm, I'll do that right now I suppose.

Also, Dyna is tight. Did I tell you guys? When he was driving us after cast3.5, we saw license plates with "MEW" and "UPB." It was so tight.

Also, Brad, I like Brawl Ganon. Oh, and yeah, about Chrusher. Whats the deal with this guy? He lives in Alberta now? Regardless of whether or not he's contributed to our community or not, he's still more of our smash circuit now. We can discuss his placement i suppose.
My Pikachu gimps Chrusher's life... I honestly don't know why XD

Top Bottom