• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Duck Hunt Competitive Smash 4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganiam

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I wanted to share something I haven't really seen any other Duck Hunt players do, and yet I've been fairly successful with.

Most DHD players control the can in a fairly predictive way, using B to make it jump around or throwing their opponent into it. While this can work great in some instances, there's another way to make the can travel faster and even more unpredictably. Hitting it.

I've experimented with this a lot lately. Here are my findings:
-Down tilting a can sends it flying roughly 40% accross the stage at your height, similarly to the Disk's trajectory
-Up tilting sends it right above you, with no horizontal movement. So if you do it multiple times in a row without having to move.
-Taking out a can and rolling towards it puts you in the perfect position to down-tilt it in the opposite direction. The way I use this is by throwing the can in the opposite direction from my opponent, rolling towards it, and down-tilting it in their face.
-If you have a can on the ground, running and hitting A so that the duck hits it sends it flying really high at a 45 degree angle. It's the same trajectory as if you'd press B over and over, but much faster.
-However, if you run into it and press A so that the DOG hits the can, it flies off at the same angle BEHIND you.
-If you drop a can at the edge of the stage, ledge grab, and come back up with an attack, it sends the can flying roughly 80-90% accross the stage.
-In all cases, the fresher the can, the further it'll fly out. If you want it to cover a smaller distance, just hit B a few times before hitting it.
-Never ever smash your cans. It's the equivalent of one B.
-Another trick I love doing is throwing out a can away from the opponent, short-hopping over it, and then hitting it back with a back-air. It sends it flying like a down-tilt, but in a much more unpredictable way. It's great if you have a can laying around and are being pursued.
-Nair seems very unpredictable when it comes to hitting the can. It can send it in all directions depending on how you hit it.
-Each of these will still let you control the can with B. But some moves will reverse its direction, though some testing still needs to be done to figure out which ones.

I encourage you to go ahead and try it all. Duck Hunt has a lot more opportunities for mind games than previously thought.

Last edited:

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I wanted to share something I haven't really seen any other Duck Hunt players do, and yet I've been fairly successful with.

Most DHD players control the can in a fairly predictive way, using B to make it jump around or throwing their opponent into it. While this can work great in some instances, there's another way to make the can travel faster and even more unpredictably. Hitting it.

-Down tilting a can sends it flying roughly 40% accross the stage at your height, similarly to the Disk's trajectory
-Up tilting sends it right above you, with no horizontal movement. So if you do it multiple times in a row without having to move.
-Taking out a can and rolling towards it puts you in the perfect position to down-tilt it in the opposite direction. The way I use this is by throwing the can in the opposite direction from my opponent, rolling towards it, and down-tilting it in their face.
-If you have a can on the ground, running and hitting A so that the duck hits it sends it flying really high at a 45 degree angle. It's the same trajectory as if you'd press B over and over, but much faster.
-However, if you run into it and press A so that the DOG hits the can, it flies off at the same angle BEHIND you.
-If you drop a can at the edge of the stage, ledge grab, and come back up with an attack, it sends the can flying roughly 80-90% accross the stage.
-In all cases, the fresher the can, the further it'll fly out. If you want it to cover a smaller distance, just hit B a few times before hitting it.
-Another trick I love doing is throwing out a can away from the opponent, short-hopping over it, and then hitting it back with a back-air. It sends it flying like a down-tilt, but in a much more unpredictable way. It's great if you have a can laying around and are being pursued.
-Nair seems very unpredictable when it comes to hitting the can. It can send it in all directions depending on how you hit it.
-Each of these will still let you control the can with B. But some moves will reverse its direction, though some testing still needs to be done to figure out which ones.

I encourage you to go ahead and try it all. Duck Hunt has a lot more opportunities for mind games than previously thought.
Seems pretty useful, i just tested it and it all works correctly
maybe we can play some matches, so i can collect some data and learn to do it properly

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
After you send the can flying with an attack, you can also halt the distance part way by shooting it. This gives you a lot of control over where to position it.

I've yet to unlock the one-shot explosion custom yet, but I'm thinking this is the key to using it.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
The zig zag can is a very good combo move if you can hit your opponent just right. His smash hit boxes are HUGE. A very strong ranged character with an excellent combo game.

Earlybird

Smash Rookie

Tacking on to all this:

-After the can's been damaged to the equivalent of seven shots, when the can is about to explode, the can's trajectory acts as though it's completely fresh. If you count your cards, you can get some extra range in with an otherwise stale can.
-This is really neat- if you hit the can with a bair or nair behind you, it will fly off in that direction, but any subsequent B shots will move the can back in the direction you were originally facing. You can even B right away and immediately follow up into another forward attack for a double fake out. From a bit of testing online, this is a really nice trick to catch people off guard.

CarterParrish

Smash Cadet
NNID
smellybutthole7
3DS FC
0404-7411-8213
I'm loving the Dtilt can. The speed could be really unpredictable, and it seems to be easy to land because of the low trajectory (doesn't bounce over heads) and has great range!

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
just regonized how bad duck-hunt duo is against sheik.
i cant do anything when i am offstage, it feels like snake

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How to apply DownB: the 8-bit Cowboys? I find myself using it a lot of the time at a distance, but it rarely works since my opponents just jump over them real fast, or if they get too close they just destroy it. I noticed they can shoot the frisbees and cans.....

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
How to apply DownB: the 8-bit Cowboys? I find myself using it a lot of the time at a distance, but it rarely works since my opponents just jump over them real fast, or if they get too close they just destroy it. I noticed they can shoot the frisbees and cans.....
I like to use the Wild Gunman as an approach option. When you throw it out, your opponent will often shield to avoid the shot, giving you some time to get in and grab them.

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
Tips on how to play/get into DH? He looks so obnoxiously fun to play. What general moves do I use in what situation?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, trust me... once I'm through with Classic Mode, All-Star Mode, Smash Run, and Target Smash with all characters, I will start playing in the Smash mode regularly and experiment with DHD (and other newcomers). :cool:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

To add to that, the DownB Wild Gunmen can shoot the cans with their guns and push it further at fixed ranged. The Gunmen can't be too close or too far from the can or else it'll whiff completely for some reason. Sometimes the gunmen can not only hit both the opponent and the can, but the can will also crash into the opponent and explode. Kinda hard to utilize due to my lack of skill, need more testing on this..

creep

Smash Cadet
just regonized how bad duck-hunt duo is against sheik.
i cant do anything when i am offstage, it feels like snake
Chuck a can towards the stage, and intercept a Sheik coming out with fair/bair. Always save your jump, don't be afraid to recover really low. Mix it up. Haven't really had many issues yet.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
More DHD things:

-Gunman is definitely defensive, he hits the farthest and fastest of all your projectiles, but the hitbox itself of the shot is rather small, so you shouldn't try to use him in the air very often, he covers the ground really well and you can use him to cover your front.
-Disc shot sideB is strong, but it is VERY risky to do in certain situations. Don't do it when you don't have them completely pinned to the area you're shooting it at.
-Disc sideB can combo into itself. The initial disc shot has a hitbox on the disc itself that has strong hitstun, so if you DELAY the shots followup, you can give yourself more time to run up and use fair after the shots.
-Fair has low landing lag compared to most normals and, again, has more range and knockback/damage than bair. Use this with a fastfall to space, and bair is better for a defensive aerial, but bair doesn't hit some chars standing. Fair isn't bad by any means, it might actually be better than bair at this point, I'm still figuring this out.
-Using a bair to reverse the can's direction when shot is VERY strong. Do it, abuse it, especially on offstage opponents.

ALL of DHD's specials (except upB obviously) are very good to shield during. Can is the most obvious, but I've sat over my sideB and my gunman to set up a grab if they shield and it's great. You can also run up and grab when they're too scared of the gunman shot or sideB or can, or chase their rolls.

Lastly, I once dtilted my can onto a disc that I previously shot (the disc was sitting on the ground) and the can bounced off of it, exploding in someone's face. It basically traveled across the stage. If this is practical and can be done without much of a hassle, this is actually really strong.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Watch Duck Hunt's model from 0:28 to 0:30.
Strange.

42_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5366-1431
Some notes vs. Greninja, since he's easily the toughest character I've had to fight as DHD and the character I've played against the most.

- Don't contest Greninja when trading moves. He simply has too much range and kill power to risk anything, unless you're going for a hard read/guaranteed follow up.

- Never get above Greninja, especially when on a platform. He has too many tools that'll beat any sort of approach at this position and certain moves, like up smash, will keep you in the air.

- When Greninja is has closed in mid range(or closer), use projectiles conservatively. His dash speed + shielding will give him a free punish if you don't hit confirm any projectile at this range. (Except the can in some situations. In those cases, you'll both get blown up by it) Greninja can also just shadow sneak through projectiles for a free hit.

- Be extremely careful when recovering. Even if you're recovering with a can, Greninja can choose between using fair, dair, or hydro pump to gimp you. Hydro pump will push the can away as well.

- On the ledge, DHD ledge attack, ledge jump, ledge roll, AND hop off > jump > empty jump/aerial can all be beaten by Greninja's OoS Usmash. Ledge getup > Shield will beat OoS Usmash however. The ledge recovery game is essentially a 50/50 guess given that.

- Shadow sneak's hitbox has incredibly high range, so be wary of it when Greninja's recovering with it. It also doesn't put him into special fall, so he'll just hydro pump right after.

+/- Greninja can cancel his dair (as well as any other aerial) landing lag into shadow sneak, so if you spotdodge dair, you'll still probably get hit by SS. If you shield dair, he'll bounce off and be safe from counterattack. I've managed to grab him once when he contacted my shield before bouncing, so shield grabbing may be a legit counter to this.

+/- Fair, Fsmash, and projectiles are the only moves that will out range Greninja. Whiffed/Shielded Fair (with landing lag) or Fsmash will result in a free punish for Greninja, even at max range.

+ Wild Gunmen can block Greninja's uncharged water shurikens, so use this to help alleviate his zoning control.

+ Approaching with the can in air, but close to the ground will either force Greninja to jump over it, shield it, or roll around it. Greninja's jumps go quite high up, so use this opportunity to get a hard read with Fair/Nair/Uair if he jumps. If he rolls toward you and you're still on the ground, you get a free ftilt/dtilt/fsmash/dsmash punish.

+ (Questionable) His grab seems to have slower startup than DHD's, so you'll win grab trades. This may also discourage the Greninja from using grabs vs. attacks, so shield lots vs. his BS moves.

+ If you hit Greninja with sourspot Nair offstage (around midway-bottom from FD's ledge) it'll probably be enough to gimp him.

+ The can is superb at forcing Greninja to recover from a disadvantageous spot, so always try to get him offstage, then proceed to zone trap him into some (easier) damage/gimps

tl;dr: Greninja overall has better range, kill power, and frame data on most moves, so play really cautiously and really respect his options. He also has a great recovery, so gimping him is usually a tricky task. DHD's non-can projectiles also won't give him too much trouble, since he's got a great dash and can just cancel it into shield. The can, in conjuction with long range normals, is a great tool for spacing and may lead Greninja to slip up and give you some free hits. (Just like most other matchups)

I'd say it's at least 4-6 matchup, Greninja's favour.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I don't see that. Greninja feels really easy to beat if you just use Snake tactics. Sit on top of your can and shield when he rushes you down + shoot it if he comes near. If he throws shuriken he can't cancel them so just react properly. He has no other options to deal with you because they're all so laggy. Dair isn't safe on block (it's not, you CAN either punish it if you read what direction he moves in or zone the direction he goes), fair and bair don't hit low enough to hit DHD or anyone for that matter, and the only other option he has to do anything to you besides run up and grab/dash attack is sideB, which is one of the most punishable moves in the game if you pay attention.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
As a Greninja main, I have to agree that Duck Hunt is probably probably a 4-6 matchup in Greninja's favor. Most Duck Hunts I find space very well, but Shadow Sneak is good for punishing end lag and Hydro Pump moves the can away.
Greninja also really owns Duck Hunt in the air. There's not much DH can do, and I've killed many dogs with a well-timed Fair.

Don't get me wrong though, it is a very close matchup. I just have good experience beating Duck Hunt.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Just fought a Greninja online a bit ago. All you need to remember in the Greninja matchup is that you DO NOT sideB. Only do that when you know you have breathing room. Then just camp your cans and send out the gunmen to block his weak shuriken shots. If he charges them you have time to react and close the gap a bit.

In other news, got 4th at Xanadu's Smash 4 tourney using only DHD. I lost to Forte last stock third match due to an SD, but it was close. He used Rosalina. This matchup is hard SIMPLY because the Luma powers through EVERYTHING you have. But once she shoots the Luma out there and you avoid it, she's much easier to fight.

I also lost to a Sheik due to an SD.

(There was a lot of lag on most of these matches, and Forte refused to play in the only place that wasn't laggy; outside the venue.)

Regardless, Sheik and Rosalina were HARD. They both have easy ways to get your can out of the way and destroy the disc before it reaches them if they camp. They also can hit the gunman out of the way.

Rely on can camping and patience; wait for them to throw out the needles/Luma and jump (plus a neutralB if you didn't throw the can out before) to try and get a smaller gap. Shiek is better than you at almost all times I think, so fish for SHFF fairs and fakes, abuse the fact that she has less range than you air-to-air.

When you manage to close the gap AND have a can behind or on top of you, THAT is when Sheik loses. She can't run at you since she'll get can'd, and she can't stand there because she'll get outspaced. That is the ONLY moment where it's safe to do anything vs Sheik.

As for Rosalina, just make sure she doesn't have the Luma next to her when you approach and you're good. Use proper fundamentals and can backup when Luma is away and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Notes:

-Fthrow is far better than dthrow, dthrow is not guaranteed followups, however fthrow is
-downB can block certain projectiles and still stay in play, is sometimes effective in that manner
-bair'ing a can to get a reverse shot is MASSIVELY USEFUL, talking metagame here

Update:

-After experimentation, I'm gonna say that fair and bair are both great. Fair actually has very low landing lag and if spaced properly it doesn't SEEM to be punishable. Bair deals more knockback than fair (it kills faster than fair does) and autocancels from a SH, so it's a decent OOS option.

Last edited:

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Is anybody having trouble getting the KO with DHD? I seem to have to get them up to 170% every time before I can get a kill.

Puppie

Smash Rookie
I have a TON of issues with link. His projectile spams are just mucb faster and when I get in close I just seem to he out-ranged.
Bowser jr wins the projectile fight as well as cannon > can disc and gunmen

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Duck Hunt can Crawl!!! And Wall Jump too<--I don't even.

He have neutral speed. Is not too fast or too slow.
The Neutral special 1 the can is amazing, you can move it to the air the way you want.
You can combo the can with a throw.
First put a can in place, and stay close of it because DHD throw are not that good, grab your foe, is your can is behind to a Bthrow then before your foe dodge it, use the can to hit him again. I call it CAN TROW COMBO.
You can move the can freely in the air is you can keep you Rhythmn Up.

Throw can in the air, focus trying to hit someone, is you fail, jump over them and Fair air and repeat. This can be very anoying for the oppenent trying to reach the ledge.

The Gunman are projectile but in my opinion their work better as walls. They can project you for projectile while he shot front of you when you prepare your camp and start attacking, is a great wall of camping, especially is The Giant Gunman.

Is Bair and Uair are really good K.O. Moves.

I need to use better the smash attacks because they act way to different compare to others smash attacks. There really, really strong moves like there really good kill moves and that range help that even twice, sadly have ending lag.

Is Dair, I gonna say but that one of the most effective Meteor Smash attack ever, Works like this, First the Dog bite is this part hurt you then the Duck will hit you next causing a meteor smash with no rest at all, have a lot of ending lag but Duck Hunt recover are damn good.

DHD is a Great Camper Dude can be annoying as hell like he always been all these years but is very fun to use him and its special power are beyond unique to understand. I really love him.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I have a TON of issues with link. His projectile spams are just mucb faster and when I get in close I just seem to he out-ranged.
Bowser jr wins the projectile fight as well as cannon > can disc and gunmen
Junior loses because he can't shoot anything in the air that really does anything. All of DHD's can be used in the air, the can can move with you and cover your back, as well as ALL of your projectiles stop Junior's sideB. Just jump over his cannonball and launch a can. All you have to do.

If he sends out the small koopa robot thing, you can react and set up your own projectiles. He'll probably jump to cover the air, so use your fair and bair to space him out (your aerials beat his).

SuperArtCancel

Smash Rookie
NNID
shoryukens
3DS FC
1607-2675-9297
Good to see that my Rosa/Luma and Sheik troubles aren't just from me being bad. Do you guys have any idea as to who would be a good pocket character to use when up against these bad match ups? Little Mac comes to mind for some reason...

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I unlocked DHD like 20 minutes ago and I freakin' love how they play.

That Neutral b Can has so much potential<333 I set up a can, then I Fthrow'd my opponent into it, hit b and boom
Their aerials are good too: Dair, Uair, Fair and Bair
Nair can KO so that's good

Their tilts are pretty good too (Ftilt & Utilt mainly)

Dthrow combo's into pretty much all aerials as far as I could tell

And DHD can walljump<3

So much funnn

Last edited:

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Nice!

These are some useful links you can add that I've made about Duck Hunt.

Custom Moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXwoOo_0QQ8

Using Cans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EaCsdah0I4

I'll also post my initial Duck Hunt reactions that I posted earlier:

PROS
- Projectile game. Three projectiles: Can and Clay Pigeon are great and Wild Gunman is less so, but has little lag to it and can help with approaching.
- Recovery. Duck Hunt is always getting back to the stage unless ko'd or gimped. Custom moves brings variety as well.
- Decent speed. It's not a Ganondorf, but not a Sheik. But it has the speed it needs.
- Useful smashes. All smashes are quick and strong and possible KO moves. Forward smash in particular has great range.
- Nair is a very good air move, great priority and quick.
- All tilts are decently quick.
- Did I say Cans, Clay Pigeon and Wild Gunman? The potential is huge.

CONS
- There is landing lag on ALL aerial moves. The exception is fair, but you need to jump to move after landing, you won't be able to walk/run for a while. Better than nothing!
- Neutral game is generally lacking range, espescially the tilts.
- No throw is able to kill at a reasonable % as far as I've seen so far.
- Lack of kill moves. Only smashes are going to kill until opponents are 150%+.
- Lack of priority. Nair is great but other than that it's lacking.

About Custom Moves I'd also like to add that I think the 3rd Down Special, Giant Gunmen, might be the best. It acts as a shield for Duck Hunt to utilize its projectiles and since it's so slow at shooting you are able to make Gunmen > Clay Pigeon / Can combos.

I just created a video thread for DhD. May I add your two videos to the list?

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Something you ABSOLUTELY NEED TO REMEMBER:

If DHD's cans are knocked back at you, there's almost NO telling which direction you'll hit it back in. Hitting it forward doesn't mean it'll go forward if it was knocked back at you. Often times it goes behind me for some reason, or in a trajectory that normally isn't even relevant.

And much more importantly, reflectors (Fox, Falco, Mario, Doc, Palutena) will completely take your ability to move the can away from you besides hitting it, and iirc even when you hit it back after it was reflected, you still cannot shoot it with neutralb.

In other news: The can shot's (the actual gunshot that moves the can) hitbox is actually larger than the can hitbox itself (which explodes on hit), which is why sometimes the can will hit them but not explode, and instead knock them back.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I posted this in the video thread as well but putting it also, just to make sure it is seen.

I have some friendlies wifi matches against a friend of mine. Needless to say, my performance wasn't optimal but I do believe it is somewhat of a good take on the matchup, though I was trying to learn it while playing.

Hound(Duck Hunt) vs IceKid(Ness) - 1/8: http://youtu.be/G4WnKyaQi3w
Hound(Duck Hunt) vs IceKid(Ness) - 2/8: http://youtu.be/zDP3EvZx3cE
Hound(Duck Hunt) vs IceKid(Ness) - 4: http://youtu.be/aAOkBJWuyW0
Hound(DHD) vs IceKid(Ness) - 5/8: http://youtu.be/Wg4x5E6D8HU

And here is a couple friendlies vs Master Raven. These were in person.

Hound(Duck Hunt) vs MasterRaven(Lucina) - 1: http://youtu.be/KwAHO1K4IAU
Hound(Duck Hunt) vs Master Raven(Lucina) - 2: http://youtu.be/izaYqY3Ap-o

Last edited:

Cudea

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing a lot of duck hunt and he is great. So have anyone tried using gunman to start your offense? Gunman rush down should be a thing I'd say. It's great but u always have to kick a can out first before clay pigeons and gunman though. Also depending on range gunman can combo into nair or fair . It creates a safe approach from the ground assuming they don't slap your gunman away of have projectiles of their own. and best used at mid range. If they shield,grab while they are in blockstun. If they roll ,react accordingly. I feel this should help his ground game out a lot.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Duck Hunt Ideas

Just trying to utilize his moves in different ways, don't expect anything groundbreaking.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
New and important, probably not known;

Cans that you hit (normally bair, dtilt, ftilt) go into a "different state" than regularly shot cans do. I realized this doesn't ONLY happen with bair, but bair is the only normal that will make cans move in reverse by itself.

Basically, if you hit a can, your sideB can move the can without actually "hitting" it during the startup. Normally doing this would make the can simply pop up in place, but it can actually be moved much farther. The disc that DHD has in his mouth has to touch the can while he's spinning (NOT after it launches from his mouth) and it'll move it in the method (NOT direction) that the can was hit.

Here's some comparisons;

Bair: causes cans to be shot in reverse. If you sideB towards the direction the can was hit in while near the can, it'll launch the can forward. (This is a difference from normally shooting the can)
dtilt: Same as above; if you sideB towards the direction the can was hit in while near the can, it moves the can forward. HOWEVER, sideB AWAY from the direction the can was hit in will launch the can BACKWARDS.

What this means is there is now more than one way to create a reverse can (however it's somewhat less useful, could be used as a pseudo-tech chase option).

This is also very important because it's a way to sideB and move the can at the same time without the disc hitting the can and ruining everything. Covers a lot of long range options, but isn't all that safe up close.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the 1st hit of the forward-smash completely misses even if it's dead on? I'm not sure if it's lag but I've noticed that sometimes it just does nothing, also I've notice people get hit by the 2nd shot and then the 3rd shot misses.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the 1st hit of the forward-smash completely misses even if it's dead on? I'm not sure if it's lag but I've noticed that sometimes it just does nothing, also I've notice people get hit by the 2nd shot and then the 3rd shot misses.
I've noticed this. It seems that on occasion f-smash will push your opponent into the ground in a way that will caused the followup shots to miss. Not sure what causes it. At first I thought it might have to do with vectoring into the ground. But then i realized that multi-hitting moves in this game having spiking properties. This is what may push your opponent into the ground. If we can find out where and how on the move, we could possibly use those spiking hitboxes to maybe edgeguard.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
God duckhunt is so hard to kill with in wifi. All his kill moves need precise timing.

Wish i had a car to go to md/va stuff

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
An issue that I've found online, that is nothing to do with DHD as a character, is that if you're playing DHD anyone you play against will either instantly run to the other side of the stage, taunt, then commit suicide, or if they have projectiles they'll immediately start camping on the side of the stage, and I've found DHD to have trouble with projectile spammers, ironically, as his projectiles are pretty slow and clay pigeon can be stopped by practically anything, anyone got any good projectile spam punishes for DHD?

Also, as @ DunnoBro DunnoBro said, it's difficult to finally land the KO.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Anyone? I see some people do that, though it's been a while. I struggled with other projectile users at first. You get used to the specifics of what to do but here's what I generally do and tweak a bit per situation.

Duckhunt is a mid-range camper who is most effective mid-stage. So it becomes midstage vs ledge. Having a can near the middle stage which blocks some projectiles, and a short hop frisbee to pressure them from their ledge camping position while using the proper trajectory to go over most projectiles/luma and either make them stuck in their shield, or risk going near the can. If they stay in their shield, bring out a gunmen for ground pressure to hopefully get them in the air and toss out more clay.

Gunman + hovering can is a similar anti-projectile strategy that's less potent but works better defensively if the above is failing. (Most helpful against sheik, and greninja as it's better for dealing with them if they suddenly decide to rush in) If it fails, just let the can drop and short hop toss the clay while the gunmen's body is still there since you can't just make another quite yet. (Short hop because they're going to want to jump over the can most likely so get your hitbox in the air to shut that down)

*If you're having trouble short hop soft tossing the frisbee, I suggest getting used to sliding your thumb across y/b. It pretty much does the proper input most of the time so you just gotta get the tilt right.

I generally don't go in with 4free dog's body unless the can got smacked away and they rolled to where it was, or they used jumps to avoid everything and I need to threaten their landing.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
It's really not that difficul to get the kill with DHD as long as you know what you're doing, applying the proper pressure and using the correct setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom