• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dreamhack Austin 2017 discussion thread

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Starting tomorrow, Dreamhack austin will be taking place in Texas featuring a solid chunk of the top 50, including ZeRo, Ally, MKLeo, VoiD, Larry Lurr, Locus, MVD, and more.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Upsets
Konga :4dk: 2-0 Samsora :4peach:
DeluxeMenu :4bowser: 2-1 Zinoto :4diddy:

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Took the liberty to update with the correct link to the stream.

Let's watch some hype matches

:196:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I notice a lot of the big players are using their secondaries a lot in pools to really good effect

ESAM used his :4samus:
Capt.Zack used :4wiifit:for the first time in a while for a major competition

Ally even brought out a :4dk: which I didn't even know he has.

Looks like lots of players experimenting with their subs for certain situations and MU's

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
My biggest gripe with this tournament so far is what they decide to put in pools. It started with Leo r1, then two Void sets in a row, then 2 Ally sets in a row, then Leo again. I feel like its a bit obvious that they want top players on stream for views. Dont get me wrong, thats fine, but other than Void VS Lucy, its just Top Player bodybagging a local player.

One of my favorite aspects of pools is seeing what the local talent can do and seeing the stream build up to the winners finals of the pool. Right now, it just feels like "let's follow 3 top players around across 3 pools and ignore that your major should showcase the strengths of your scene with no storyline consistency"

A comparison would be say, Dreamland, where you'd see newer Florida threats and be curious to see them do well later in the bracket like Blank.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I notice a lot of the big players are using their secondaries a lot in pools to really good effect

ESAM used his :4samus:
Capt.Zack used :4wiifit:for the first time in a while for a major competition

Ally even brought out a :4dk: which I didn't even know he has.

Looks like lots of players experimenting with their subs for certain situations and MU's
So Ally also likes to Expand Dong? Nice to see him experiment with other characters, here's a question, how long do you think it will take before M2K drops out again?

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Zack definitely respected AeroLink more than Chag.

On a similar vein, AeroLink seems like a really underrated player. He beat ESAM at G4 and placed 25th, and held his own vs Captain Zack here.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Zack definitely respected AeroLink more than Chag.

On a similar vein, AeroLink seems like a really underrated player. He beat ESAM at G4 and placed 25th, and held his own vs Captain Zack here.
Yea taking the first match in a set in a ditto with who is really looking like the current top Bayo main is pretty impressive. But yea, Zack kinda downloaded Aerolink after that first match

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Well looks like we got our first notable upset of Dreamhack

Konga :4dk: 2-0 Samsora :4peach:

EDIT.

Annd heres our 2nd.

DeluxeMenu :4bowser: 2-1 Zinoto :4diddy:

The Big grapplers are taking names here

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Top 48 Winners:
ZeRo :4diddy: :4lucina: vs Weegee :4mario:
DeluxeMenu :4bowser: vs Konga :4dk:
Ally :4mario: :4dk: vs Karna :4sheik:
Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: :4wiifit: vs MVD :4diddy:
MKLeo :4marth: :4cloud2: vs Whispy :4diddy: :4falcon:
Larry Lurr :4fox: vs Locus :4ryu:
VoiD :4sheik: vs Dakpo :4diddy: :4zss: :4luigi:
ESAM :4pikachu: :4samus: vs K9Sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy:

Top 48 Losers:
Gnes :4cloud2: :4tlink: :4lucina: vs Kadc :4robinf: :4marth:
Nyhita :4corrinf: vs Lima :4bayonetta2:
GrimTurtle :4bayonetta2: :4falcon: vs Rick :substitute:
L.U.C.Y. :4tlink: vs BigDaddy :4mario:
Haipe :4ryu: vs A1 :4mario:
ForbiddenOne :4pacman: :4corrinf: vs Mikeffect :4ness:
Aarow :4shulk: vs Lole :4rob:
Jumbolias :4myfriends: :4pikachu: vs SaSSy :4rob:
Cashoo :4mewtwo: vs Yuruloki :4cloud2:
AeroLink :4bayonetta2: vs Cyanide :4tlink:
ThisGuy :4fox: vs Shadow_foxXD :4fox:
Jerm :4robinf: vs ZAY :4link:
Samsora :4peach: vs Victus :4bayonetta2:
Zinoto :4diddy: vs Crump :4cloud2:
onethreefour. :4dk: vs P2P with Gibus :4greninja: :4lucario:
Dragonite :4bayonetta2: vs Goyo :4littlemac:

ZeRo > Weegee
Konga > DeluxeMenu
Ally > Karna
MVD > Captain Zack
MKLeo > Whispy
Locus > Larry (There's even a DK in BC, too, so Locus has practice in that matchup)
VoiD > Dakpo
ESAM > K9Sbruce

Gnes > Kadc
Lima > Nyhita
Grimturtle > Rick
L.U.C.Y. > BigDaddy
Haipe > A1
Mikeffect > ForbiddenOne
Aarow > Lole
SaSSy > Jumbolias
Yuruloki > Cashoo
AeroLink > Cyanide
ThisGuy > Shadow_foxXD
Jerm > ZAY
Samsora > Victus
Zinoto > Crump
P2P With Gibus > onethreefour.
Dragonite > Goyo

Upset-wise, this has been an incredibly quiet tournament.

Mew2King :4cloud2: and Day :4lucario: were both double-DQed.

EDIT: So, Samsora and Zinoto are playing for 25th...

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Captian Zack :4bayonetta2: 3-0 MVD :4diddy:

Zack with the excessive Bayo planking and stalling out the clock. That..I dont know what to say . I will admit I will defend Bayo moat times but that...hoo boy.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Well Zack will go om to face Ally next. Mario should have the tools to be able deal with...that right?

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Locus :4ryu: 3-1 Larry Lurr :4dk: :4fox:

Locus Demolished DK and would have had a 3-0 if it wasn't for the non-final hits of Fox's fair having some... interesting properties

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Looking onto it. ZeRo and Locus pretty much have dream brackets at this tournament dont they?

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Bayonetta's strengths as a character are so far evident that she doesn't need to cheese through planking most of the time.

Zack as a player knows this better than anyone. Of course, the fact that it is Zack we're talking about, is exactly why he embraces it.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
F.L.U.D.D. could mess it up by pushing her away from the ledge, but that's about all I can see Mario doing.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Well a win over Ally would be absolutely huge for Zack if that happens. Depedndig on how far he gets I think he will be considered the agreed top Bayo main

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Well a win over Ally would be absolutely huge for Zack if that happens. Depedndig on how far he gets I think he will be considered the agreed top Bayo main
He should be already.

Also, Zinoto has a close set with samsora then instantly plays Larry for 17th, ouch...

EDIT: Larry Lurr :4fox: 3-1 Zinoto :4diddy:

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
I feel like counterplay will be developed and make it less centralizing and more "change your char".

Sheik can air needles, for example.

A bit of theory that I will lab with the Bayo mains in New England, but Duck Hunt has a very cool way around it if my theory is correct. Place Can on edge and hold shield. If Bayo bites, she gets blown up by Can, maybe even stage spiking if she challenges it from below (you can punish tech if she does so). If she doesn't bite, you can dtilt any ledge waits.

You can also throw a Clay Pigeon near ledge and detonate it on regrabs. Or use gunman to discourage her from going above the ledge.

I bet other characters have counterplay too.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
That was... unexpected.

MKLeo :4marth: 3-0 Locus :4ryu:

Beating the best Ryu in that fashion is somewhat surprising, considering Leo's history vs Ryu.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Top 48 Winners:
ZeRo :4diddy: :4lucina: vs Weegee :4mario:
DeluxeMenu :4bowser: vs Konga :4dk:
Ally :4mario: :4dk: vs Karna :4sheik:
Captain Zack :4bayonetta2: :4wiifit: vs MVD :4diddy:
MKLeo :4marth: :4cloud2: vs Whispy :4diddy: :4falcon:
Larry Lurr :4fox: vs Locus :4ryu:
VoiD :4sheik: vs Dakpo :4diddy: :4zss: :4luigi:
ESAM :4pikachu: :4samus: vs K9Sbruce :4sheik: :4diddy:

Top 48 Losers:
Gnes :4cloud2: :4tlink: :4lucina: vs Kadc :4robinf: :4marth:
Nyhita :4corrinf: vs Lima :4bayonetta2:
GrimTurtle :4bayonetta2: :4falcon: vs Rick :substitute:
L.U.C.Y. :4tlink: vs BigDaddy :4mario:
Haipe :4ryu: vs A1 :4mario:
ForbiddenOne :4pacman: :4corrinf: vs Mikeffect :4ness:
Aarow :4shulk: vs Lole :4rob:
Jumbolias :4myfriends: :4pikachu: vs SaSSy :4rob:
Cashoo :4mewtwo: vs Yuruloki :4cloud2:
AeroLink :4bayonetta2: vs Cyanide :4tlink:
ThisGuy :4fox: vs Shadow_foxXD :4fox:
Jerm :4robinf: vs ZAY :4link:
Samsora :4peach: vs Victus :4lucas:
Zinoto :4diddy: vs Crump :4cloud2:
onethreefour. :4dk: vs P2P with Gibus :4greninja: :4lucario:
Dragonite :4bayonetta2: vs Goyo :4littlemac:

ZeRo > Weegee
Konga > DeluxeMenu
Ally > Karna
MVD > Captain Zack
MKLeo > Whispy
Locus > Larry (There's even a DK in BC, too, so Locus has practice in that matchup)
VoiD > Dakpo
ESAM > K9Sbruce

Gnes > Kadc
Lima > Nyhita
Grimturtle > Rick
L.U.C.Y. > BigDaddy
Haipe > A1
Mikeffect > ForbiddenOne
Aarow > Lole
SaSSy > Jumbolias
Yuruloki > Cashoo
AeroLink > Cyanide
ThisGuy > Shadow_foxXD
Jerm > ZAY
Samsora > Victus
Zinoto > Crump
P2P With Gibus > onethreefour.
Dragonite > Goyo

Upset-wise, this has been an incredibly quiet tournament.

Mew2King :4cloud2: and Day :4lucario: were both double-DQed.

EDIT: So, Samsora and Zinoto are playing for 25th...
Victus does not play lucas anymore, he is a bayonetta main.

EDIT: I find it funny how the reddit thread has Aarrow listed as a mewtwo.

For Sunday, top 6 will be on the stream https://twitch.tv/dreamhacksmash

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
So Locus DID beat the Pikachu... the Samus just too strong. Funny how Samus started as a character ESAM used when he was done playing seriously, now it's a genuinely legitimate CP. Shame - had ANTi kept using the Charizard, I think he could have done the same with that :p

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
ZeRo.
ZeRo
Up Tilt kills.
Jab>Up Tilt is a true kill combo.
Please.
Use it.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Ally could now possibly take this tournent and ANTi and so many others still say Mario is not top 10. Not to say i think he is to high but likey around #9 or 10.

People are being to quick to sell the plumber short.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Void had the right idea against Cloud but misplayed in some key moments. Unfourtanely for Shiek,that can cost you. He should have used way more needles though. It's not always the optimal thing to do but against Cloud who liks to shorthop space with his aerials it would have helped tremendously. It's something that Mr.R does really well against other Clouds.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Diddy Bair and MFK hitboxes make me question what high-grade gin Sakurai and co. were on when developing him sometimes.

You could tell Larry stopped giving a damn after that MFK hitbox almost killed him backward at 80.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Diddy Bair and MFK hitboxes make me question what high-grade gin Sakurai and co. were on when developing him sometimes.

You could tell Larry stopped giving a damn after that MFK hitbox almost killed him backward at 80.
You could say that about a lot of hitboxes in this game.

Diddy having a great hitbox for his MFK is to defend himself against attacks. He's committing a little more than normal when he does it because of staying in a set trajectory without being able to do anything for a little bit (he also can't upB after), so it's just a mixup that helps a lot.
You can just wait it out and punish it. Or try trading with it, or coming with good-range disjointed moves or hit him from above/below.
It just needs practice to find out how to best react to it, because it's so fast and you kinda have to predict it to be able to react to it correctly (while being able to punish it).

I'm still seeing people not knowing on how to deal with Diddy-stuff.

If you're not in his possible uthrow->uair kill-% window why would you risk trying to shieldgrab a banana when you could die for it if he just does a dtilt or something right after? There's no life-threatening danger. But if he catches you with a dtilt to stay safe from an immediate grab you might die for it.
It's baffling that he even tries going for it because it's so unsafe, same with all these landing fairs.

Zero is just predicting and reacting to his opponents over and over again to win all of these "50:50s", but people don't seem to be ready for them or know how to deal with them better.

Zero predicted the super laggy Aura Sphere from MKLeo a mile away and was in the air, ready to throw the banana his way to get a kill-confirm into fsmash.
Then a bit later the same situation is happening, this time MKLeo was a little more ready for it and was able to move again before the banana would hit him, but he dashes right into it, tripped and died for it.
Leo also didn't seem to have the Lucario truly ready, but still managed to keep it generally close.

Another thing I've seen from people, also in the ESAM set: they don't seem to know when Diddy is more likely to do certain things.

If you have Diddy without a banana he's going to try to run away and get another one, or, if the opponent is near enough and could hit him, he'll try to get a grab, dtilt, sideB, fair to get an opening for another banana. When he has a banana he can only really try to throw it or sideB (in the air zdrop to aerial also works). Idk why ESAM stopped camping with thunderjolts when he was very close to Zero when Zero didn't have a banana out, because obviously Zero would try to go for the above mentioned things and dtilt was to be expected. Keep a safe distance away from dtilt and be ready for sideBs while staying somewhat close to not let him get another free banana.
The thunderjolts were clearly forcing Zero to jump or shield, which would have been a much safer way for ESAM to approach.

These were just small little details that were very strange to see for me, because it was pretty obvious what Zeros options were in these scenarios and a lot of people aren't really trying to stay safe, but punish safe/favorable things and get punished themselves for trying.

At first I thought Zero was just really, really good. Now I don't only think that, but also that other players still need to learn/understand the Diddy MU better.

Top Bottom