• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "The Dog House" - Duck Hunt Moveset/AT Thread/Metagame Discussion

Spirst

:4duckhunt:
Welcome, little pup, to The Doghouse
This thread is meant to serve as the base of reference to Duck Hunt's moveset, advanced techniques, and metagame discussion.
It is also not literally a doghouse, unfortunately. Let's just pretend.

Alternate Colors

General Statistics
Weight: 91 (Bowser is 128 and Jigglypuf is 68)
Air Speed Rank: 12-15/52 (Tied with Mega Man, Sheik, Falcon)
Running Speed Rank: 25/52
Walking Speed Rank: 22/52
Fall Speed Rank: 13-16/52 (Tied with Ike, Jr, Ganon)
# of Jumps: 2
Can Crawl?: Yes
Interaction with Wall: Can wall jump but not cling​

Taunts

Up Taunt
The dog gets on his front legs, raises his hind legs in the air, and does a little dance. The duck then scolds him.

Side Taunt
The infamous laugh from the original Duck Hunt returns but with a different position and sound effect. Seems the dog is getting too old to be constantly standing up.

Down Taunt
The dog stands on his hind legs and gets jiggy with it. Very intimidating.​

Jab, Dash Attack, Tilts, Ledge Attack, Getup Attack

First jab followed by ending third jab. Can also multijab.
Damage: 2.5% (1st), 2.5% (2nd), 4% (3rd), 1% (infinite jab hits)
The dog swipes at the opponent with his paw, then his head, then his legs. For the multijab, the duck goes on a pecking frenzy.

Dash Attack
Damage: 10% (sweetspot), 7% (sourspot)
The dog rushes forward with a little slide while the duck attacks with the beak.

Forward Tilt
Damage: 8%
The dog raises his legs into the air while the duck flies forward to peck. Disjointed move good for pokes.

Up Tilt
Damage: 7%
The dog again pushes his legs off the ground into the air but this time the duck does a headbutt.

Down Tilt
The dog slyly crouches down and pushes the duck forward with his legs so the duck can peck.​

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash
Damage: 17%-23%
The mysterious hunter from the foreground shoots three times in front of the dog & duck, surprising them.

Up Smash
Damage: 14%-20%
The hunter takes aim and fires thee times above the dog & duck.

Down Smash
Damage: 16%-22%
The hunter shoots three times around the dog while he narrowly evades each shot.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air
Damage: 11% (sweetspot), 5% (sourspot)
The dog angrily spins around and does a full rotation in the air.

Forward Air
Damage: 10% (sweetspot), 6.5% (sourspot)
The dog extends his legs forward with a mean face so the duck can fly in front and unleash a disjointed peck.

Back Air
Damage: 12.5% (sweetspot), 10% (sourspot)
The dog throws his legs behind him so the duck can fly back for a peck.

Up Air
Damage: 9% total. 3% (1st & 2nd hit), 6% (3rd hit)
The duck stands on the dogs rump and pecks upwards three times.

Down Air
Damage: 15% total. 5% (hit 1), 10% (hit 2)
The duck swipes the duck down against the opponent with a lot of malice for a meteor smash.
Pummel & Throws

Pummel
Damage: 2%
The duck headbutts the opponent.

Forward Throw
The dog throws the opponent forward like a dirty bone.

Back Throw
Damage: 9%
The dog throws the opponent back as if to say, "this toy sucks!"

Up Throw
Damage: 6%
The dog kicks the opponent up using his hindlegs. A feat of athleticism.

Down Throw
Damage: 5%
The dog hastily slams the opponent down into the ground. The opponent then bounced back up in front.

Special Moves & Final Smash

Trick Shot (B)
Damage: 9%-12% (DH takes 8% if hit)
The dog spawns a can from out of the blue and decides to kick it, sneering. Continually pressing B results in the foreground shooting it. The Can can be shot 8 times before blowing up and with each shot, it travels less distance with greater velocity.

Clay Shooting (<>B)
Damage: 12% total. 2% (initial pigeon hit), 10% (if all reticles connect)
The dog throws a clay pigeon forward which the hunter can then shoot. If the stick is tilted, the clay pigeon will travel at a higher angle with less speed. If the stick is smashed, the clay pigeon flies lower at a faster speed.

Wild Gunman (vB)
Damage: 4% (White shirt and brown hat), 4% (Black vest, red bandana, brown hat), 5% (tall, black coat & hat), 6% (brown coat and brown hat), 7% (sombrero)
The dog spawns a gunman from Wild Gunman to appear in front of him and shoot forwards. Each gunmen has a 1/5 chance of appearing and out of 5 times, each gunman will appear once.

Duck Jump (^B)
Damage: N/A
The duck flies up and carries the dog with him for a recovery. Has no hitbox and cannot be cancelled.

Final Smash: NES Zapper Posse
Damage: 45% total
When activated, 8-bit ducks fly towards the background, trapping opponents who touch them in the middle of a gun duel consisting of the Wild Gunmen versus the thugs from Hogan's Alley. During this scene, the Wild Gunmen repeatedly shoot and defeat the thugs, sending cans, ducks, and any trapped opponents flying.

Advanced Techniques

Recovering with the Can
If offstage and need to recover, the Can can be used as an active hitbox to aid DH's otherwise hitbox-less recovery. Buffer a trickshot Can with the double jump and then Up B towards the stage while mashing B in relation to the Duck Jump. Keep the Can right on DH (his recovery can't be canceled so other button inputs won't mess it up) and if someone tries to follow you offstage to attack, the Can will either hit them or explode the both of you and put you in a better position to return to the stage. Important to learn so that the mediocre recovery can at least have some boosts.

Foxtrotting with the Can
As an added mobility option, Duck Hunt is able to foxtrot while shooting the Trick Shot Can. One way of performing a fox-trot is by flicking or tapping the control stick sideways to perform an initial dash, returning the stick to a neutral position to cancel the onset of the full dash, and then tapping the stick sideways again to perform another initial dash. With a Trick Shot Can out, the Can can be shot in between the flicks of the control stick by timing the B button presses. If done too sloppily, the control stick + B will register as a clay pigeon toss. Foxtrotting with the Can is an effective way of threatening landings and having stage control through the means of an aerial hitbox and DH on the ground. It can also be used for fake-out approaches since upon seeing DH foxtrotting with the Can, the enemy will typically shield (jumping means they get blown up). If there's a shield, drop the Can right in front of them and go for a grab. This can also be done with shorthops.

Sour/Sweetspotting the Can from a Dash Attack
When a Trick Shot Can is just kicked from DH, it is possible to buffer a dash attack (Control stick+C stick down is the easiest way for me) and sweetspot the Can with the Dog's body (usually a sourspot but it makes the sweetspot noise + sends the Can where a sweetspot would) which wil send the Can forward. However, when the Can is shot via B, the Can will be shot in the direction of DH's initial positioning rather than forwards like a regular sweetspot dash attack would. This is an effective edgeguard tool since in addition to punishing recoveries from deep offstage, it will also punish those recovering right below because the way the Can will be shot will move it towards the stage rather than the blastzone. Video courtesy of ThatGuyYouMightKnow

How Duck Hunt's Own Attacks Affect the Positioning of the Can

-Bair on the Can will send the Can in the direction the bair hit it in but when shot with B, it will shoot backwards towards DH rather than away like Fair/dtilt/ftilt. This is very useful in harassing people offstage since rather than being able to evade it, you can actively harass them with the Can by shooting it towards the ledge they're trying to grab. Also, if a bair Can hits the opponent, they will fly up towards DH for a reliable Uair/Nair KO.

-Can>sourspot dash attack (easy if you DA right as the can lands in front of you) will send the Can playing in a high angle behind you and will shoot, like the bair, in the opposite direction. This also has a lot of practicality for edgeguarding/harassing people offstage who are recovering from far where DH might be uncomfortable following.

-Can>sweetspot dash attack will also send the Can at a high angle but unlike the sourspot, will shoot forwards rather than backwards.

-Can>Utilt will send the Can at a vertical angle and when shot, will go backwards. This is a good mixup for covering a blind spot DH has.

-Can>Fair/dtilt/ftilt will send the Can forwards and when shot, will move forwards. Good for adding pressure and forcing shields. Can>SH Fair approaches can work well offensively since the disjointed hitbox from the fair is just at the perfect length to hit the Can forward while having DH move closer without getting TOO close so he can still react to rolls/jumps.

-Cans are great as a "get away from me" tactic. If you know what direction the Can will shoot to when pressing B, you can shield and B to get rid of pressure and reset the position to neutral or put DH at an advantageous spot for followups.
-Cans, in addition to gunmen and clay pigeons, can tank a number of projectiles in the game including Samus' charge shot and Lucario's aura sphere regardless of rage/aura boost. Unlike the gunmen and clay pigeon, a Can tanking a hit will not render it useless since it doesn't get destroyed and worst case, gets sent back. It can always just be hit forward again.
-Can canceling

Future update:
-Customs
-Projectile-specific properties
-Fixing up existing information​

Last edited:

Furil

Smash Apprentice
"The dog pushes his legs off the ground into the air so the dog can fly forward with a peck."
Interesting.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
well then, I have started using down tilt to send the can flying about half or 1/3 of the stage. it's a good arc, very low and very fast. I think it's a little faster then a forward tilt, which gives the can a higher arc, which may just sail over the shorter characters. oh, and forward tilt only goes 1/4th of the stage, I think. still, these give the can some interesting trajectories if you need a surprise explosion.
Also using the disjointed hit-boxes of his forward smash tends to make the can bound back towards him, which can provide a sort of cover if he missed the attack. the can can be sent towards him and blow both him and his opponent up if he gets grabbed.
One more, if you hit the can with your dash attack, right at the start with the back of the duck, it'll go flying behind you in a high arc. could be useful as a punish for those who like to jump around a lot.

Last edited:

Spirst

Yeah, I had small writeup of some Can interactions in the Character Competitive Impressions thread. Here's the snippet:

The character has a lot of options to be explored. I've spent a lot of time playing around with the properties of the projectiles and I still don't understand everything yet. The Can has A LOT of possibilities that can be done with it.
  • Bair on the Can will send the Can in the direction the bair hit it in but when shot with B, it will shoot backwards towards DH rather than away like Fair/dtilt/ftilt. This is very useful in harassing people offstage since rather than being able to evade it, you can actively harass them with the Can by shooting it towards the ledge they're trying to grab. Also, if a bair Can hits the opponent, they will fly up towards DH for a reliable Uair/Nair KO.
  • Can>sourspot dash attack (easy if you DA right as the can lands in front of you) will send the Can playing in a high angle behind you and will shoot, like the bair, in the opposite direction. This also has a lot of practicality for edgeguarding/harassing people offstage who are recovering from far where DH might be uncomfortable following.
  • Can>sweetspot dash attack will also send the Can at a high angle but unlike the sourspot, will shoot forwards rather than backwards.
  • Can>Utilt will send the Can at a vertical angle and when shot, will go backwards. This is a good mixup for covering a blind spot DH has.
  • Can>Fair/dtilt/ftilt will send the Can forwards and when shot, will move forwards. Good for adding pressure and forcing shields. Can>SH Fair approaches can work well offensively since the disjointed hitbox from the fair is just at the perfect length to hit the Can forward while having DH move closer without getting TOO close so he can still react to rolls/jumps.
  • Can>gunmen. The gunmen have transcendent priority shots and will hit the Can and the person in front of it. The distance it hits the Can is rather small but a good distance to keep control of the stage.
  • Can can be used as an active hitbox when using the default recovery. Kick the Can when offstage with your DJ, then maintain it with B while recovering. The recovery has a set distance so it doesn't matter what other inputs you use since it can't be cancelled anyway.
  • Cans are great as a "get away from me" tactic. If you know what direction the Can will shoot to when pressing B, you can shield and B to get rid of pressure and reset the position to neutral or put DH at an advantageous spot for followups.
  • Cans, in addition to gunmen and clay pigeons, can tank a number of projectiles in the game including Samus' charge shot and Lucario's aura sphere regardless of rage/aura boost. Unlike the gunmen and clay pigeon, a Can tanking a hit will not render it useless since it doesn't get destroyed and worst case, gets sent back. It can always just be hit forward again.
  • DH can shorthop approach/foxtrot while shooting the Can. You can threaten landings quite well by doing this if you have a Can above you that you're shooting while foxtrotting on the ground. Additionally, with foxtrot Can shooting, you have a hitbox both in the air and DH on the ground for coverage of both spaces.
Additionally, the Can seems to have some momentum-retainment properties in that a very strong projectile can hit it and NOT push it back at all. Upon a light hit to the Can, the momentum from the projectile will take effect and the Can will go flying back. Not sure why this is yet but I'd been looking into it.
I'm going to work on compiling this into a more readable format in the advanced techniques section in a "Cananigans" subsection I plan to make.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT THE AERIALS: with the sweetspots on DHD's Fair and Bair being the duck's beak, it feels like these two attacks are similar to the tipper of most of marth's attacks. but whereas marth's tippers give not just more damage but more knockback(?), does DHD's Bair and Fair get additional knockback when you hit the sweetspot?

Also a grab combo. set up by placing the can, then grab the opponent so the can is behind you. Down throw, and while the animation have you pulling your opponent behind you, hit the can. the can exploded on them, doing damage, and then sends them off with the down throw for more damage. it's a little situational, but I think it's funny as hell when I can actually land that on someone. ^_^

Last edited:

Spirst

Yes, the bair and fair have more knockback when the sweetspot is hit and the tipper is a good analogy although the tipper mechanic for Marth is more extreme than what DH has in that the damage difference isn't the same nor is the knockback difference.

Grabs work pretty well with Cans. Something else you can, albeit situational as well, is grab someone with the Can in front of you and while they're in the grabbed animation, you can start shooting the Can into the air and then throw them into it. At high percents, this can even result in a KO.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Grabs work pretty well with Cans. Something else you can, albeit situational as well, is grab someone with the Can in front of you and while they're in the grabbed animation, you can start shooting the Can into the air and then throw them into it. At high percents, this can even result in a KO.
I am always working on pulling this off... the tricky part is learning how to multitask between attacking opponents with the A button AND shooting the can with the B button at the same time... just so you can make them collide with the can.

Duck Hunt Dog is truly not for beginner players like Mario is... he is perhaps designed for experienced players.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else used the Can as a "screw you for hitting me" tool? When I get rushed really hard by a high percent character, as they're attacking me, i'll use the Can to explode the both of us, and I normally recover first and hit them with a down air.

Spirst

Though it's not much, DH has an advantage in doing so in that he only takes 8% damage whereas the other player generally takes 9-11%

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Though it's not much, DH has an advantage in doing so in that he only takes 8% damage whereas the other player generally takes 9-11%
So it's like a Kamikaze attack, but rather than dying immediately, you just take a little bit of damage.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Something I like to do with the Trick Shot against campy characters like :4link: or :4villager: is to send a can overhead into the sky towards them, using a Gunman to take a hit for me or fire back. Whether they get hit by the can or not, it forces them to cease fire while I get time to slip by their defenses since they'll have to shield it, reflect/pocket it, or take an explosion to the face; whichever they choose.

Also a cool gimmick with the Gunmen at high percents: if my opponent is baited into shielding the gunmen and I get to grab them, I can hold them longer and do a pummel, and the gunshots will still hit them in grabstun for extra damage right before I throw. I don't think this is a great idea at lower pecents though, since they'll break out of my grab too quickly before I can do much.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
Did you know that you can drag your opponent along with your can if you space it just right and wing them with the lightgun shot hitting the can? I didn't until I managed to drag someone off stage doing this, and dear god it was hilarious. I'm sure there are other uses for a spaced Can shot, likely continuing a combo after launching them into an active Can, but really, just knowing that I can Can-icide certain characters makes me smile. Hard as hell to pull off, but so ****ing worth it...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Funkermonster Funkermonster
I hadn't thought about doing that... I like that.

Down+B to summon a gunman... if the opponent shields, run in and grab them... try to pummel them instead of immediately throwing them (force of habit) so the gunman shoots them while the duck headbutts them.

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone notice that tapping B to start the can, then doing through your A,A,A jab matches right up with the can landing? Also I'm working on a decent way to attack the can from the ledge. It just feels so clunky but I feel like it has potential.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Three things.

Pulling out a can on the ground makes you able to do a downward angled f-tilt and tip the can from the distance that it goes. This might be a good way of preparing the can to get that eighth hit that sends it very far, or just to fake the can or activate it when they're near it with a hitbox. Might have applications.

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this, but all of DHD's moves that use the Zapper's shots (smash attacks and sideB, including the disc itself) can move the can in the air. Nothing else in DHD's moveset can move it. Yet other characters can. Kind of stupid imo, but now I know why my smashes were moving the can in such odd ways. (Though not truly related, I figured out that while edgeguarding, put the can right at the lip of the ledge and fully charge an fsmash at max distance to hit the can with the last gunshot, it seems safe and covers many options. They MIGHT not be able to ledgejump through the can.)

Lastly, while testing that ftilt thing I also found out about this is that plainly hitting the can with most of anything but neutralB and NOT shooting it AT ALL makes it explode in five/six hits, not eight. However if you get five/six hits and shoot it even once with neutralB before reaching five/six, it'll always go to eight hits instead, no matter what combination of hit types you used.

Oddly, it DOESN'T explode in five hits if a jab or gunman shot was used. When you DO use one, it extends the number of hits the can can take based on when you jabbed/gunman shot it and how many times you did. A jab/gunman will also extend the hits by TWO, SOMETIMES one. Examples:

ftilt > ftilt > ftilt > ftilt > jab > ftilt, can explodes.
ftilt > ftilt > ftilt > ftilt > gunman shot > ftilt > ftilt, can explodes (may explode earlier by one hit, needs testing)

Five hits is the most common. I'm not sure how I got it to reset to six hits.

These are just the more common examples of extending and shortening the "fuse" on the can, as I've gotten changing results. I actually didn't know about this prior to today.

Last edited:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
im kind of annoyed that the competitive DHD thread got locked ...

anyways how do you guys deal with little mac? as much as I've played I feel like I should be able to beat him now but I can't, I have better luck as DK or luigi.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
im kind of annoyed that the competitive DHD thread got locked ...

anyways how do you guys deal with little mac? as much as I've played I feel like I should be able to beat him now but I can't, I have better luck as DK or luigi.
He doesn't sweetspot the ledge with his upb, so fsmash can hit him during it. As can downward angled ftilt. It's kind of annoying we have all these tools to get him off the stage, but are poor at keeping him off. I generally like to bait an early recovery while not actually planning to gimp him offstage unless I can guarantee it, and then punish an on-stage recovery or his lack of sweet-spotting.

I also am starting to believe reverse shotting the can is definitely the better edgeguard against much of the cast. Not only can it threaten their ledge grab, but if you miss it can punish a standard get-up animation and easily lead into a combo/kill.

If you think about it objectively, once sent out standard can will only threaten either horizontal, diagonal, or low vertical recoveries. A reverse trick shot has no such restriction, at the cost of slightly longer set-up time, and higher focus investment to utilize properly as this is all done within a small area, closer to the ledge.

I got boss and chu several times with this over the weekend while testing. They also got frustrated if they got hit with the can offstage while trying to recover low, they'd get stage spiked by it. Though the most reliable kills were reverse can > upair. It is a true combo if you read their di right.

Also, bair seems to be the overall best way to reverse shot.
Trick shot > foxtrot > utilt puts you closer to the edge, with a slow falling can.
Both soursweetspot, and regular sourspot have similar issues with floatiness, and also how they leave the neutral.

However, to effectively use bair, I generally had to trick shot AWAY from the opponent, short hop to the can, and bair it then. This is a great mix-up, especially against aerial approaches due to how quickly the can comes out, and the ability to bring it back to you heavily punishing them if they try to just jump over it. But if you suspect they're about to approach and the can would only hit their shield, the time you have to spend waiting for dhd to fall enough for the bair to connect, provides ample time to throw out a clay shot or gunman instead.

It's also generally better this way since it stays ground-level, the other ways have platforms threaten the method.
Furthermore, when edgeguarding it leaves duck hunt in a better position to punish ledge rolls while the can punishes standard get-up, and complete a combo if the reverse can hits them back onto the stage instead of stage spiking.

Though the other reverse shot methods probably have their uses, especially sweetsourspot for following landing enemies. What's so great about it, is that it forces them to air dodge TOWARDS duck hunt's launching point to avoid it, so we can more readily punish it. Also just the fact it zigzags and how hard it is to tell if it got reversed or not since the animation is the same from a regular DA hitting it, throws people way off.

If you think about it, a reverse shot can is much more similar to an actual player edgeguarding. It goes out towards the opponent, comes back in, and up. A standard shot can only go out.

Also, with duck hunt close to middle stage after reverse shotting, the knee-jerk of a player would be to do the standard get-up as it's the safest option. Jumping also gets punished because the can will follow their trajectory still, and a roll can be punished by duck hunt himself easily.

I definitely get kills and successful edgeguards way earlier and more consistently with this mix-up.

I'd also suggest people practicing with quick gunmen, as they made me notice how to combo off regular gunmen shots much better due to how much you use them.

Also, running pivot upsmash might be about as good as punishing rolls as perfect pivot downsmash. The first hit is the same frame as downsmash on the more favorable side (the point where people will be rolling to more often), just a little higher.

Very interesting for anyone else who really wanted PP Ftilt and it's ridiculous range to set c-stick to attacks for.

Last edited:

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
He doesn't sweetspot the ledge with his upb, so fsmash can hit him during it. As can downward angled ftilt. It's kind of annoying we have all these tools to get him off the stage, but are poor at keeping him off. I generally like to bait an early recovery while not actually planning to gimp him offstage unless I can guarantee it, and then punish an on-stage recovery or his lack of sweet-spotting.

I also am starting to believe reverse shotting the can is definitely the better edgeguard against much of the cast. Not only can it threaten their ledge grab, but if you miss it can punish a standard get-up animation and easily lead into a combo/kill.

If you think about it objectively, once sent out standard can will only threaten either horizontal, diagonal, or low vertical recoveries. A reverse trick shot has no such restriction, at the cost of slightly longer set-up time, and higher focus investment to utilize properly as this is all done within a small area, closer to the ledge.

I got boss and chu several times with this over the weekend while testing. They also got frustrated if they got hit with the can offstage while trying to recover low, they'd get stage spiked by it. Though the most reliable kills were reverse can > upair. It is a true combo if you read their di right.

Also, bair seems to be the overall best way to reverse shot.
Trick shot > foxtrot > utilt puts you closer to the edge, with a slow falling can.
Both soursweetspot, and regular sourspot have similar issues with floatiness, and also how they leave the neutral.

However, to effectively use bair, I generally had to trick shot AWAY from the opponent, short hop to the can, and bair it then. This is a great mix-up, especially against aerial approaches due to how quickly the can comes out, and the ability to bring it back to you heavily punishing them if they try to just jump over it. But if you suspect they're about to approach and the can would only hit their shield, the time you have to spend waiting for dhd to fall enough for the bair to connect, provides ample time to throw out a clay shot or gunman instead.

It's also generally better this way since it stays ground-level, the other ways have platforms threaten the method.
Furthermore, when edgeguarding it leaves duck hunt in a better position to punish ledge rolls while the can punishes standard get-up, and complete a combo if the reverse can hits them back onto the stage instead of stage spiking.

Though the other reverse shot methods probably have their uses, especially sweetsourspot for following landing enemies. What's so great about it, is that it forces them to air dodge TOWARDS duck hunt's launching point to avoid it, so we can more readily punish it. Also just the fact it zigzags and how hard it is to tell if it got reversed or not since the animation is the same from a regular DA hitting it, throws people way off.

If you think about it, a reverse shot can is much more similar to an actual player edgeguarding. It goes out towards the opponent, comes back in, and up. A standard shot can only go out.

Also, with duck hunt close to middle stage after reverse shotting, the knee-jerk of a player would be to do the standard get-up as it's the safest option. Jumping also gets punished because the can will follow their trajectory still, and a roll can be punished by duck hunt himself easily.

I definitely get kills and successful edgeguards way earlier and more consistently with this mix-up.

I'd also suggest people practicing with quick gunmen, as they made me notice how to combo off regular gunmen shots much better due to how much you use them.

Also, running pivot upsmash might be about as good as punishing rolls as perfect pivot downsmash. The first hit is the same frame as downsmash on the more favorable side (the point where people will be rolling to more often), just a little higher.

Very interesting for anyone else who really wanted PP Ftilt and it's ridiculous range to set c-stick to attacks for.
wow, awesome to see that we are finding new things for the can. I've stopped playing DHD to focus on my fundamentals by playing as luigi and DK, but I truly know the power and potential of the can and that it's not all discovered yet. the can will be godly with time, I'm not sure how people don't realize it.

Banette

Smash Cadet
Good day all, I haven't posted here before, but I daresay I'm decently familiar with Duck Hunt, even though we're speaking of a new character in an only recently released game an all... After watching footage of several other players, and reading some of the posts on the forums, I wanted to comment on edgeguarding with Duck Hunt: I believe the can gives the character serious potential in this area that is yet to be explored.

What sets Duck Hunt apart from others when edgeguarding is that the opponent has to play around two entities: the dog/duck and the can. The strategy I see most players suggest and utilize when the opponent is offstage is to send the can to threaten them, letting te dog sit safely on the stage; I have been practicing to use both the dog and the can to keep the opponent away, with decent success.

You see, when the can is coming for them, the opponent tends to be forced to jump (a well placed can follows their path so airdodging is not always safe - also may put them in a worse position), and factoring in the gunmen, most players will learn to recover high against Duck Hunt. Duck Hunt can capitalize on this by jumping (reversed) of the stage, spacing himself over a recovering opponent to create a trap of sorts: if they keep going in the same direction, they'll be hit by the can, and if they jump, they'll be welcomed by a Bair/Dair.

I admit that the action above is quite difficult to perform, as you cannot input a direction when controlling the can with the special button; now that we have access to a C-stick, it's certainly possible. It has been said before that mastering Duck Hunt means mastering the can, and I can see those who manage to use the dog/duck and the can simultaneously being able to create some scary situations!

Oh, it's a pleasure to meet y'all :nervous:

Spirst

That's something I'd been doing for a decent amount of time now but would like to perfect. I like going offstage following a can then reading their jump with my own DJ dair. It's very satisfying to land when you do get it. From offstage, a sweetspot nair has good knockback as well and can net you a clean KO.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
That's something I'd been doing for a decent amount of time now but would like to perfect. I like going offstage following a can then reading their jump with my own DJ dair. It's very satisfying to land when you do get it. From offstage, a sweetspot nair has good knockback as well and can net you a clean KO.
Speaking of Nair, how exactly would you use it? For me sometimes when me and my opponent are shielding next to each other, I'd jump OoS and punish their whiffed shield grab with a sweetspotted Nair. I find myself getting most of my Nair kills offstage. FF DJ Nair usually gets them. And with little Mac this seems to work pretty well too since even if he air dodges it the sourspotsourspot should catch him and pit him in a bad position.

Also does anyone know any good ledge options for duck hunt? Instead of regular ledge get-ups, ledge rolls, jumps and ledge attacks and even ledge FF SH fair. Sometimes what I do when I get knocked offstage I throw a clay pigeon towards the opponent standing on the stage, use up-b then detonate it that way they're still in their shield otherwise they're being hit by the clay pigeon shot. Either I'll try to recover with the can, but it is prety hard controlling the can with b and moving your character towards the ledge.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I like leaving the barrel on the edge sometimes instead of following it, then if I miss and I trump their ledgegrab I hit them with the barrel. Not real good at it, but I'm trying.

How's our Doggy at stage spiking? Anybody mess with it?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I like leaving the barrel on the edge sometimes instead of following it, then if I miss and I trump their ledgegrab I hit them with the barrel. Not real good at it, but I'm trying.

How's our Doggy at stage spiking? Anybody mess with it?
Duck hunt can stage spike pretty well with bair, and reverse can does a solid job stage spiking. Nair does it pretty good as well, but out of all of them I think can is the safest yet best way to stage spike.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
One thing about SH dair, I haven't been using it much lately, but generally it seems like RAR SH dair is superior to standard dair.

1: The dog's head goes behind him, thus less hurtbox is exposed in the direction you're trying to hit (presumably your opponent)
2: It seems like dair hits a little more behind DHD than in front, though if it is, it isn't by too much.
3: You can smack right over their shield to behind them, the auto cancel of the dair means you're left in a good position to shield grab from behind. (assuming they were facing you)

Not really sure what characters SH dair will work well against... Presumably it could be applied similarly to thunderstroming in brawl. To punish rolls and dash ins...

Last edited:

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
One thing about SH dair, I haven't been using it much lately, but generally it seems like RAR SH dair is superior to standard dair.

1: The dog's head goes behind him, thus less hurtbox is exposed in the direction you're trying to hit (presumably your opponent)
2: It seems like dair hits a little more behind DHD than in front, though if it is, it isn't by too much.
3: You can smack right over their shield to behind them, the auto cancel of the dair means you're left in a good position to shield grab from behind. (assuming they were facing you)

Not really sure what characters SH dair will work well against... Presumably it could be applied similarly to thunderstroming in brawl. To punish rolls and dash ins...
I had no idea dair autocancelled if SH (Dumb me), I wanna try it out. Also been having done really great times killing with can. I love the fox trotting can since it just gets rid of aerial approaches and allows you to follow up. Reverse can has been netting me some uair kills especially when they're offstage.

Also just found out about the reduced landing lag in Izaws video (super late on that xP). Do you guys think any lag can be reduced by duck hunts attacks? He could probably get a lot more strings if this could work with him

Last edited:

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is it worth holding items that prevent characters from using moves, like the Metal Blade, Bananas, and Gyro, or should you just avoid it?

Or should you keep tossing it straight up in the air and recatching it so be able to mix in some A moves in the hangtime?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Is it worth holding items that prevent characters from using moves, like the Metal Blade, Bananas, and Gyro, or should you just avoid it?

Or should you keep tossing it straight up in the air and recatching it so be able to mix in some A moves in the hangtime?
I think you should keep ahold to it as long as you can, but duck hunt isn't really a camper because his projectiles are so slow, he has a lot of set ups for them so I think if you get ahold to any of the items then you should incorporate that into some of DHD's set ups.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I still haven't used that one really. Been mostly soursweetspotting and bairing it. What situations do you usually use it?
Anytime I ACTUALLY have the time to set it up. I either do this, the instant DA late hit thing to hail mary a can offstage at them with the reversing shot, or bair the can off for reversing shot too.

All pretty useful to edgeguard and cut off options, but some are better against some characters of course.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Reversing the can ofstage is how I'm getting some of my kills too. I'm starting to really like how duck hunt can cut off a persons string attack on us since trick shot (AKA can) can come out right after we're out of hitstun and hit the opponent for us to follow up on. Are their any other uses for dair other than spiking offstage? Dair can autocancel when SH and I'm thinking about what if we could do dair can. Also fsmash is a pretty good edeguard when people are coming from above to get back on the ledge, when they're not expecting it just fsmash them. I've seen the range on a fully charged fsmash really kill people out of nowhere and I find it as a good punish tool if spaced right.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Reversing the can ofstage is how I'm getting some of my kills too. I'm starting to really like how duck hunt can cut off a persons string attack on us since trick shot (AKA can) can come out right after we're out of hitstun and hit the opponent for us to follow up on. Are their any other uses for dair other than spiking offstage? Dair can autocancel when SH and I'm thinking about what if we could do dair can. Also fsmash is a pretty good edeguard when people are coming from above to get back on the ledge, when they're not expecting it just fsmash them. I've seen the range on a fully charged fsmash really kill people out of nowhere and I find it as a good punish tool if spaced right.
I've been hitting well timed dairs on grounded opponents and comboing into uair off the bounce sometimes.

Also, I been counterspiking people that get too greedy and mess up trying to hit me from below.

Last edited:

GravyJigster

Smash Rookie
Hiya, playing some DHD and having a blast! Got some questions with regard to the can....

So when exactly can you shoot it? it seems strange. Can you shoot it while doing other things? (mid attack, grab, ect)? I know you can do it in shield and during your up b, but how restricted are you?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Hiya, playing some DHD and having a blast! Got some questions with regard to the can....

So when exactly can you shoot it? it seems strange. Can you shoot it while doing other things? (mid attack, grab, ect)? I know you can do it in shield and during your up b, but how restricted are you?
Anytime the stick is neutral, I believe is when you can pop the can.

Also guys, more on SH dair. Hitting the can with it gets a reverse can situation looks like, and since it autocancels players smarter than me can probably do all sorts of hilarity.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Yup. Any time the control stick is neutral. And if there isn't an unshot clay pigeon on the field. Those take priority over the can.

Top Bottom