• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Doctor Is In the House!" - Dr. Mario Returns Again!

Will this Mario brother renew his licence?

• Don't know...

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • He'll come back.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Easy clone, so not out of the question.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Ehh..............

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't count on it.

• Want to, but probably won't.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Prefer not, but it can happen.

• Just make him an alternate costume and call it a day.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Please buff him.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Everyone is back baby!
Dr. Mario is here to stay and I am ecstatic to see him:

A current change-list based on everything we know so far will be at the bottom of this post.

Aside from that, let's speculate to our hearts content!

Dr. Mario Discord
https://discord.gg/CSwaR2G

With all the exchanges of biffs, whams and pow's in everyday Smash battles, someone there's gotta know how treat these poor, wounded souls.

He wasn't very well received during his inculcation, with lacking tourney results along with one of the lowest player-bases. Doc's time in Smash 4 could of been better overall.

However, that's not to say he's down and out.
He does have a loyal fan-base behind him and Sakurai seems content with adding him in as a bonus for Melee players.

He isn't the most popular character of the series, but I know you guys have something to say.
Personally, let's put those past 10+ years of school to good use and suit up for some new patients!

Current confirmed changes from 3DS/Wii U:
  • Most of the animation changes from Mario.

• Full hop is now just as high as Mario's. (Though it may change in the final game)

• Down Air has been changed to a Captain Falcon style stomp (possibly a reference to Mario's iconic Goomba Stomp) rather then the spin jump from Super Mario World.

• Super Sheet has an updated animation. Now swinging the cape upwards rather than sideways as to indicate the move's better vertical reach. (doesn't seem to hook on his neck like Mario's.)

What's the same:

• Super Sheet still has less horizontal but more vertical range like before. (Doc's | Mario's)

• All Taunts are the exact same as Smash 4's.

If you notice any brand-new additions to Doc, feel free to post them and the source. (I'll be sure to credit you)

Researchers

-@Guybrush20X6: Finding the new cape animation.

-@NastCF: Finding the new cape animation.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
If Nintendo intends to put new characters in the game they have to get rid of someone and Dr. Mario is a top on the list.
On the other side he's cool as an alt for Mario and a Dr. Luigi would be cool as well as an alt. for Luigi.
And so on Peach could get a Nurse peach alt., finally!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He was supposed to be in Brawl so clearly Sakurai likes him enough to bring him back.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I liked Dr. Mario in Smash 4 because I hated Mario's FLUDD move. I'd really like to see him finally discard the FLUDD (since Mario Sunshine is so old now and really forgettable anyway) and go back to having a spin attack as his down-B.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
FLUDD's pretty good. Make it like Squirtle's Water Gun and it'd be godlike.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I’m split. On the one hand, he’s a pretty blatant Mario clone, and would work fine as a costume. On the other hand, some people like to play him, so I’d feel a little bad if he got taken out! I guess that’s true of every character, though. :p

I’m thinking it’s possible they’ll bring him back - it’s an easy character slot - but if we’re talking about personal preference, I’d remove him and just put the outfit as a Mario costume. Cuts are bound to happen, and he seems like one of the most likely candidates.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yes. Very much yes.

I don't like playing Mario much so i sadly disregarded Doc as a clone playing similiarly and didn't discover until a month or two ago how fun Doctor Mario truly is in Smash 4 and how many cool tricks he has up his sleeve.

Although i'm biased cause of that and if you had asked me ealier i wouldn't have cared too much. In the end it's hard to guess if he'll be back though, he has the same animations as Mario even if all his attacks behave differently so i'm guessing he's a easy clone to make. Otherwise he'll probably be a costume at least.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Doc is worthy on his Tornado alone.

I think they should make him a DK-like fast-but-heavy archetype for his next appearance.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Clone or not, Dr. Mario is just a fun addition to the game.

I think it's time he got his own stage though.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
While I was expecting him to only come back as an alt for Mario in Smash 4, I was really excited to see him be his own character. While definitely not one of the best, I still really enjoy playing Dr. Mario and hope he makes a return. If Mario is indeed getting an update to his moveset with Cappy, that'll at least give more of a reason to keep him by retaining Mario's old moveset.

If there's any buffs for him I'd like to see, one is definitely damage or knock back on his Up-b. For the short range it gets, it should definitely be a better kill option. Slight increase in his speed would also be nice.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I still prefer him as special alternate. And though even his fireballs mutated in capsules will have a different aspect and sound, the effect will not change. Same for an eventual Dr. Luigi. Even a nurse Peach would be nice IMHO.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Why don't people want Dr. Mario, if Mario'a moveset is based on Mario Odyssey, then Dr. Mario won't even be a clone of Mario anymore, using his old moveset. Though it is the same reason he might be an outfit.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Why don't people want Dr. Mario, if Mario'a moveset is based on Mario Odyssey, then Dr. Mario won't even be a clone of Mario anymore, using his old moveset. Though it is the same reason he might be an outfit.
That's a fair point, actually. If Mario gets some significant changes in Smash 5, then Dr. Mario could stick around, since he wouldn't have any changes from Odyssey and could be seen as a more classic Mario moveset.

Though if I had to guess, I don't think Mario will get changed that much. I think he'll probably get a few additions, like how FLUDD got added to him to replace the cape from Melee, but I think that, for the most part, he'll remain the same, meaning that Dr. Mario would still be a clone.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I'd like the Doc to return if at all possible. In both Melee and Sm4sh, I'm better with Doc over basic Mario.
It's a style preference, honestly. I tend to favor hard-hitting slow characters over faster, combo characters.

Also, have you SEEN HIS TAUNTS?

Look at this dude! This crap is so disrespectful to his opponents! He's just rubbing his shoe on the ground!

Also, I couldn't resist:

This is like one of the greatest victory poses a man could ask for. You can't get this from a costume!

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Because the Mario's franchise is one of the most overepresented. So Dr. Mario is twice redundant. Lucina as well.
Dark Samus would have been much less redundant.
How?

From how I see it, Metroid's only reps would just be different incarnations of Samus. (I know they're not technically the same character, but the average buyer can't tell from the names or visual designs alone)

So explain yourself on that one...

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How?

From how I see it, Metroid's only reps would just be different incarnations of Samus. (I know they're not technically the same character, but the average buyer can't tell from the names or visual designs alone)

So explain yourself on that one...
I mean the Metroid series has not so many reps as the Mario series and Dark Samus deserved to be a playable character as much as Dark Pitt.
I think she skipped this chance because there were already two Samuses in the game. But if Samus and Zero Suit Samus are turning back together like in Brawl, then Dark Samus would be almost obligatory. But, Hey! This is the Doctor Mario Thread.
Let's continue the Metroid discussion elsewhere!

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Because the Mario's franchise is one of the most overepresented. So Dr. Mario is twice redundant. Lucina as well.
Dark Samus would have been much less redundant.
Why exactly do people consider Dr. Mario a Mario character, he barely exists outside of the Dr. Mario games plus he is deserving to be considered his own series just like the Retro characters, but not a sub-Mario franchise. Just because he looks and is named as Mario, doesn't mean those games play like a Mario game, they aren't a platformer like Yoshi or Dk, or Wario. Other Mario characters only gets very subtle cameos.
He doesn't even appear in the sub-Mario games such as Mario Kart.
The Virus trophy isn't even with the Mario Series, but for some reason considered in the Mario series in Brawl as a sticker, though made several cameos in some Mario RPGs.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Why exactly do people consider Dr. Mario a Mario character, he barely exists outside of the Dr. Mario games plus he is deserving to be considered his own series just like the Retro characters, but not a sub-Mario franchise. Just because he looks and is named as Mario, doesn't mean those games play like a Mario game, they aren't a platformer like Yoshi or Dk, or Wario. Other Mario characters only gets very subtle cameos.
He doesn't even appear in the sub-Mario games such as Mario Kart.
The Virus trophy isn't even with the Mario Series, but for some reason considered in the Mario series in Brawl as a sticker, though made several cameos in some Mario RPGs.
Because he is Mario...

He's not a separate figure like Metal Mario or Shadow Mario, he is literally Mario as a doctor.
You can't get anymore Mario then the man himself.

Think about it, when the average player encounters Doc, what's one of the first things they think about...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Time for a check up!

If we assume Mario gets cappy instead of the cape, then the sheet now becomes a Doc unique staple. Just need better frame data, a recovery that isn't pitiful in a game where most of the cast can recover, and that garbage final smash to disappear off the face of the earth.

Also some good movement options as without wavedashing (and SHFFL for his moves) we see how limited he can be.

Also a Dr. Mario stage. It's due!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
This was an idea I put forth in the (Odyssey) Mario thread. Not necessarily something I'm 100% behind but just a method of reconciling a few ideas.

Also probably won't be popular among Doc fans here but it seems relevant anyway sop here goes:

With default Mario being the 'Ryu' of Smash it becomes hard to change him to be more reflective of the series since he needs to be a generalist who represents a balanced playstyle and introduces the common mechanics. That means advanced movement tech like Cappy, or speedrun-esque 3D Mario moves in general, can't really take a spot on him, since that moves him away from a generalist and turns him into a mobility focussed fighter. With that in mind maybe those new moves can be reconciled in a 'Costume Mario' using all the popular outfits of Odessey (including Doc) to be more true to his 3D self. Hell, the Doc down-B doesn't need to be lost since that represents the spinning he does to float. This moveset could incorporate the rolls, the ground pound, ground pound into rolls or ground pound into a better jump height.

I know, this is literally the opposite of the current Doc, he becomes a hyper mobile, probably more combo based character instead of a heavier, harder hitting version. It just makes some kind of thematic sense to me? I dunno. Just food for thought I guess.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
With all the exchanges of biffs, whams and pow's in everyday Smash battles, someone there's gotta know how treat these poor, wounded souls.

He wasn't very well received during his inculcation, with lacking tourney results along with one of the lowest player-bases. Doc's time in Smash 4 could of been better overall.

However, that's not to say he's down and out.
He does have a loyal fan-base behind him and Sakurai seems content with adding him in as a bonus for Melee players.

He isn't the most popular character of the series, but I know you guys have something to say.
Personally, let's put those past 10+ years of school to good use and suit up for some new patients!
I actually voted no, and yet seeing this fanart I am tempted to reconsider everything I think I know about Dr Mario.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ideally, I want Doc to return as the classic playstyle Mario while Mario gets this new moveset I created: https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...h-because-why-not.448305/page-2#post-21961383

But I'd also like a few small changes. On the off chance that custom moves don't return, or simply if they are banned once again, I'd like to see his DEFAULT capsules be the fast ones, as pills are pretty small. Also, give him the same jump height as Mario. Basically Melee. Smash 4 Doc was noticeably slower and less agile than Mario. It may be me remembering wrong, as I was young playing Melee, but I don't remember Doc feeling too different from Mario in Melee. In fact, Doc was even considered to be slightly better than vanilla Mario back then.

Overall, though, I fully support Dr. Mario as a full-fledged character slot, because I'm a Mario main, and I deserve a slightly different, yet samey option, because I've been a good boy.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Ideally, I want Doc to return as the classic playstyle Mario while Mario gets this new moveset I created: https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...h-because-why-not.448305/page-2#post-21961383

But I'd also like a few small changes. On the off chance that custom moves don't return, or simply if they are banned once again, I'd like to see his DEFAULT capsules be the fast ones, as pills are pretty small. Also, give him the same jump height as Mario. Basically Melee. Smash 4 Doc was noticeably slower and less agile than Mario. It may be me remembering wrong, as I was young playing Melee, but I don't remember Doc feeling too different from Mario in Melee. In fact, Doc was even considered to be slightly better than vanilla Mario back then.

Overall, though, I fully support Dr. Mario as a full-fledged character slot, because I'm a Mario main, and I deserve a slightly different, yet samey option, because I've been a good boy.
I love the moveset. The issue is that Mario needs to be the one to retain the moveset because he's the gateway character, and you can't really change that from being Mario since he's the one who's the face of Nintendo. I actually think it makes a lot of sense for Doc to be the one updated to represent the newer/3D games because of Odessey's whole costume thing.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I love the moveset. The issue is that Mario needs to be the one to retain the moveset because he's the gateway character, and you can't really change that from being Mario since he's the one who's the face of Nintendo. I actually think it makes a lot of sense for Doc to be the one updated to represent the newer/3D games because of Odessey's whole costume thing.
The normal moves don't change that much, so Mario is still a well rounded character.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The normal moves don't change that much, so Mario is still a well rounded character.
He's well rounded but not an introductory character. He'd have gimmicks others dont, a charge up b which isn't the usual way they work, a dive kick dair which isn't a beginner friendly move, a rolling dash attack which only exists in DK.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Due to his Down-B special, I'd prefer to play as Dr. Mario rather than regular Mario.

PF9

Smash Lord
"he's the one they call Dr. Feelgood
he's the one that makes you feel alright"

This song is definitely my theme for the Doc. When I found out he was in Melee all those years ago he piqued my interest. He's still one of the most interesting characters. In my headcanons he serves as the physician for all the other Smashers (as for how he takes care of himself? That's only for those in the medicine profession to know).

Hell yeah I want my co-main back!

I don't really get the people who want him to be an alt of Mario, honestly. Not only does he have two entirely different moves (Dr Tornado and down aerial), which alone are enough to justify his separate slot, but he also offers a fun, alternative take on Mario's moveset (without being virtually the same like *coughcough Lucina and Dark Pit coughcough* (even if I don't want them to become alts either)) and I have much more fun playing him than the OG red plumber, both in Smash 4 and Melee.

I don't have much to say for Doc. I have no idea how I'm gonna buff him. But I have been thinking of a new final smash. I understand perfectly why he got a reskin of Mario's Final Smash, but I still felt like I could have come up with something unique. Here's what I came up with.

• TERMINAL CONDITION: Starts off as a cutscene. Dr Mario tries to grab the target. If he fails, the final smash ends right there, like Captain Falcon’s and Ike’s Final Smashes. If successful, however, it shows Dr. Mario looks down at his notebook, and then shaking his head and quickly writes down the target’s name. He whispers something to the patient (that the player cannot hear), and the victim’s eyes widen. The cutscene portion ends there. A countdown appears over the opponent’s head, slowly counting down from 10 to 0. When it expires, the game then slows down, and the opponent is instantly KOed, no matter what. They don’t just fly offscreen at high speeds; they just die, right there on the spot (like getting hit by an Orne in Smash Run, but more dramatic) While that happens, the screen fades to white (like when Classic Mode is cleared) and the victim’s Star KO noise plays. After they die, the speed returns to normal and the screen turns to normal again.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I’d simply love to see the classic viruses play a part in his specials or final smash

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It’s worth noting that Doc wasn’t considered an “echo” character in the presentation, which may mean that they have plans to Luigify him like they did to Roy.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Doc isn't an echo because he already has a different special and dair. It's not just a few different numbers

Top Bottom