• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diskun Support Thread/ The truth about Diskun

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The Cute Little Mascot for The Famicom Disk System: DISKUN!!! (The True Concept of Diskun)

First Appearance: Smash Ping Pong!
Other Appearances: Golf Japan Course, Golf US Course, Nakayama Miho no Tokimeki High School, Janken Disk Shiro, Super Smash Brothers Melee.

So, Diskun is just a slice of toast with eyes that can't move right?

Actually, Diskun appeared as the main character in a very obscure rpg/puzzle game called: Janken Disk Jō
In this game Diskun can move in 4 directions as flexible as Kirby as this sprite sheet shows:

Since Diskun is a 2D Sprite, he can change perspective and animations while remaining 2D like Mr. Game & Watch or Paper Mario. So now that Diskun can move freely and he's the mascot of the fairly succesful and notable add-on for the revolutionary Famicom, what abilities does he have?

Well, Diskun is a famicom disk which had some notable features. The most notable of these features was their rewriting capability. Aside from being applied to conventional things like saving progress, certain disks could also have their games entirely overwritten for a small fee so players could try something new.

Disks can have data from Famicom games written onto them. If Diskun has data from Famicom games, he could mimick abilities from any Famicom game giving him a potential move set since he carries the data that he copied from them. And since he is the mascot of the Famicom it fits perfectly. (this also means he could do anything that Duck Hunt Dog could do)

Diskun's Victory Theme in Smash 4:

MORE RELATED TO DISKUN:

Diskun appearing in a commercial with people on crack:

Diskun with different cute expressions:

Diskun's Trophy in Super Smash Brothers Melee:

"This little guy is the adorable mascot for a Nintendo Entertainment System peripheral device released in 1985. Using the disk system, you could rewrite games for 500 yen, an epochal and economical feature. Funnily enough, the instruction booklet was sold separately for 100 yen. The disk system's first game was The Legend of Zelda."

Diskun in Janken Disk Shiro:

Diskun in Smash Ping Pong & Janken Disk Shiro:

In conclusion I consider it a great idea to represent the mascot of the Famicom's notable peripharal: The Famicom Disk System. It seems like a great part of Nintendo History to represent.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Diskun? I dunno, he'd be really obscure and I don't think there are many westerners who know who he is. But then again, we could have said the same about ROB.

He might make a good Assist Trophy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Cute! I can totally see this guy as the new R.O.B. with his disk related and digital attacks/abilities. That's if Sakurai is actually considering adding another non-video game Nintendo character.

He also appeared as a disk case of some sort with a few tools inside.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'm going to start a poll: Do you want Diskun in the game or not?

courte

Smash Lord
when they make a smash for obscurity ahoy, i'd love to see him in it.
I know i sound like a ****, but i really mean it. Someone people can't conceive of a Smash without Mario or a SF/Marvel without RYU. I'd love to see it for real. But don't stop there. And don't just make a roster of 'troll/joke characters' for the sake of it. Don't put in characters who've appeared in every previous iteration. It'd be a breath of fresh air to be honest. and it'd be great to see something like this handled with the sincerity and attention to detail that's gone into the previous titles. I'm saying that not even as a fan of diskun. I don't like him, sorry, but respect that as I respect you and your opinion. But the whole purpose of smash at this point [well nowadays it's cross promotion out of the butt] but it's to pay tribute to Nintendo's history.

MVC was sorta like that at a time, but now convienently, everyone in the latest title on Marvel's side happens to be in a movie or major even happening. Things can be mixed up. I see Nintendo to do it in this genre before anyone else [i'm aware of how silly that sounds]

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I remember when Saturn used to be up in arms when Diskun was mentioned.
Now he's like, AW YE DISKUN IS LIKE THE BEST HARDWARE CHARACTER YE

But with that said, I fully support the little guy. The 8Bit special move is interesting, but it seems to make Kirby a bit less unique. Perhaps have it affect Smashes only? Making it impossible for Diskun to even use Smash attacks unless he has copied an opponent's data? At least that way Kirby still remains the only character who can copy special moves and it would require Diskun players to need to have it, much like Olimar players need Pikmin.

courte

Smash Lord
........isn't that exactly why Diskun should be added.
not this game. he's not on the level af anyone who's appeared in smash so far.
he'd be a solid pick for hipster smash.

the other reason i say this is because i'd also like to see him in a game with a new set of balances. a new meta where he can call it his own.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
not this game. he's not on the level af anyone who's appeared in smash so far.
he'd be a solid pick for hipster smash.
Uh, I don't think I follow that statement.

You're saying he isn't nearly as important enough, right?

Dr. Flinn

Smash Cadet
So, Obscure character, famous in Japan + focus of game is West V East = My full support

I have a Brain Age of 100. See?

Anyways, Diskun is a great character, and I have this feeling I'm gonna make a Moveset now.

Stay tuned...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
But with that said, I fully support the little guy. The 8Bit special move is interesting, but it seems to make Kirby a bit less unique. Perhaps have it affect Smashes only? Making it impossible for Diskun to even use Smash attacks unless he has copied an opponent's data? At least that way Kirby still remains the only character who can copy special moves and it would require Diskun players to need to have it, much like Olimar players need Pikmin.
I don't believe I mentioned anything about Diskun copying moves from characters IN Smash. That might be a little problematic. Or at least if it was more than 1 move of his move set.

he's not on the level af anyone who's appeared in smash so far.
I have the feeling you haven't played anything past Smash 64.

when they make a smash for obscurity ahoy, i'd love to see him in it.
He's really not that much more obscure than the characters in Smash. Especially not in Japan, I'll tell you that much.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't believe I mentioned anything about Diskun copying moves from characters IN Smash. That might be a little problematic. Or at least if it was more than 1 move of his move set.
You didn't, I was referring to the moveset provided on the original post.

courte

Smash Lord
Maybe I should clarify. Playable. He's not on the level on anyone who's been playable. Like I said, color me guilty of being a ****, but when was the last game release he had? Heck, when was the last time he appeared in a game period as a playable character? 1987 in Smash Ping Pong. R.O.B. has had more appearances since. Any character can be given a moveset for Smash. It's just that type of game. Look at how far Peach has come since Melee. As an assist trophy even i'd love to see it. Actually i'd love it if he just Akuma'd everyone. He is like a grandpappy mascot. But it seems to me the age of the mascot is long dead across the board. Even Megaman dethroned Captain Commando.

Across the board, for most developers [ok i'm lying mostly capcom, because i love fighters and brawlers] I'd love to see lots of old franchises come back. I feel they'd do a lot stronger with most of their beloved older franchises than they would with most of their new failing IPs.

But Nintendo isn't like most of those people. Nintendo owns a console and handheld, so they'd never do something silly like drop the new Dragon's Quest, Onimusha, or Megamax Xover on iPads and Android. And they have characters, many of which they maintain percentage wise, as opposed to the competition. It seems to me everyone at Nintendo knows which things to leave in the past and which ones to continue forward with. I imagine for the creative side, it must be hard to let your creation sit and create dust, but it's all for the better.

That's just my opinion. If you'd rather I didn't voice it at all, i'll leave and never return if you ask. It just seemed to me better to talk about something that nothing at all. Like I said, I don't have anything against Diskun.

I have the feeling you haven't played anything past Smash 64.
btw I have ask, do you really, legitimately have the feeling I haven't played anything past Smash 64? Honestly, is that how you feel? Because if that's the earnest impression i've left on you, I think i've been living a lie. Either that or i've been stuck in the Matrix.
Uh, I don't think I follow that statement.

You're saying he isn't nearly as important enough, right?

If these games we're just about who's important in nintendo gaming history, I think the roster would look alot different. There's the annoying factor of character popularity as well, and relevance. ok flame me to hell. i should probably leave here anyway, i get the feeling i'm not wanted and that i'm a stupid butthead.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Maybe I should clarify. Playable. He's not on the level on anyone who's been playable.
Like Ice Climbers or Takamaru or Mr. Game & Watch?

Like I said, color me guilty of being a ****, but when was the last game release he had? Heck, when was the last time he appeared in a game period as a playable character?
When was the last Ice Climber game before Melee? When was the last Kid Icarus game before Brawl?

1987 in Smash Ping Pong.
Wrong, his last appearance was Janken Disk Shiro where he was the main character.

R.O.B. has had more appearances since.
But, not as much as Mr. Game & Watch so I guess we can't add ROB to Brawl.

Any character can be given a moveset for Smash. It's just that type of game. Look at how far Peach has come since Melee. As an assist trophy even i'd love to see it. Actually i'd love it if he just Akuma'd everyone. He is like a grandpappy mascot. But it seems to me the age of the mascot is long dead across the board. Even Megaman dethroned Captain Commando.
I'm not sure I even understand what you're saying. Does this have anything to do with this discussion? Who is Captain Commando?

But Nintendo isn't like most of those people. Nintendo owns a console and handheld, so they'd never do something silly like drop the new Dragon's Quest, Onimusha, or Megamax Xover on iPads and Android.
What does this have to do with anything?

And they have characters, many of which they maintain percentage wise, as opposed to the competition. It seems to me everyone at Nintendo knows which things to leave in the past and which ones to continue forward with. I imagine for the creative side, it must be hard to let your creation sit and create dust, but it's all for the better.
This is not what Super Smash Brothers does. Sakurai loves reviving old and dead franchises. That's why he added Ice Climbers, ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, and most likely Takamaru.

courte

Smash Lord
Red Text. Closed Mind. I've offended you greatly. That was not my intention. I didn't know we were talking about games that had already come out. I thought we were talking about characters that out of all the fans, there is def a base for. I came with the wrong mindset. In my experience by most other developers, a completely new fighter, not a roster update, does not mean a constantly expanding roster, especially with a cross over. It means many people won't make it. So far for Smash, many people have not made it. I remember my thread for Brawl; Starfy didn't make it.

I'm sorry, I'm leaving, and I wish you the best of luck.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Red Text. Closed Mind. I've offended you greatly. That was not my intention. I didn't know we were talking about games that had already come out. I thought we were talking about characters that out of all the fans, there is def a base for. I came with the wrong mindset. In my experience by most other developers, a completely new fighter, not a roster update, does not mean a constantly expanding roster, especially with a cross over. It means many people won't make it. So far for Smash, many people have not made it. I remember my thread for Brawl; Starfy didn't make it.

I'm sorry, I'm leaving, and I wish you the best of luck.
I wasn't trying to be mean dude. I'm not offended. You have a right to express your opinions just like all of us. I just post in red so you didn't think it was your sentence.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Saturn you've been made the TC as you seem intent on keeping this thread active.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Diskun? That GameFAQs moveset was golden. Having Sonic & Mega Man vs. 2 Diskuns would be a dream for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom