• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Kongpendium: ATs, Must Reads, and More

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yup, I remember Snake's nair if you get caught in it right, Samus's up-b sometimes, peach's dair sometimes, you can Utilt ROB out of his dsmash sometimes, pretty much almost any multihit jab, etc.

Kantrip

Kantplay
continue in the direction you were hit, meaning up if hit up and down if spiked.
I've found that this isn't always the case. One time in a match versus marth, I got spiked downwards after a ken combo and would have died regularly. However, when I used my up-b (I still had my second jump) I got the upwards boost, despite being hit downwards. This resulted in me flying up and grabbing the ledge, and marth fell to his death, unable to recover.

Has anyone done any looking into this, because it's been confusing me. I haven't been able to recreate the upwards boost off a spike.

Edit: Also, I think you should add changing direction with popgun (not sure what it's called) to the thread.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
I've found that this isn't always the case. One time in a match versus marth, I got spiked downwards after a ken combo and would have died regularly. However, when I used my up-b (I still had my second jump) I got the upwards boost, despite being hit downwards. This resulted in me flying up and grabbing the ledge, and marth fell to his death, unable to recover.

Has anyone done any looking into this, because it's been confusing me. I haven't been able to recreate the upwards boost off a spike.

Edit: Also, I think you should add changing direction with popgun (not sure what it's called) to the thread.
yeah, its during hitstun, so if you didn't change your momentum with the jump, you would've accelerated downward instead of upward

when you jump then immediately upb, it changes the momentum like a b-reverse

edit: popgun canceling is in here! Under "canceling"

Popgun Canceling- the act of canceling Diddy's Neutral-B move with the Shield button; in the air, this is done with no lag if canceled immediately (otherwise it will cancel into an Airdodge). This can be reversed and Momentum Shifted in the air or canceled into a Glide Toss or Roll on the ground.

Kantrip

Kantplay
yeah, its during hitstun, so if you didn't change your momentum with the jump, you would've accelerated downward instead of upward

when you jump then immediately upb, it changes the momentum like a b-reverse

edit: popgun canceling is in here! Under "canceling"

Popgun Canceling- the act of canceling Diddy's Neutral-B move with the Shield button; in the air, this is done with no lag if canceled immediately (otherwise it will cancel into an Airdodge). This can be reversed and Momentum Shifted in the air or canceled into a Glide Toss or Roll on the ground.
Oh alright, now it makes sense, thanks.

Edit: Oh, I see it now, sorry about that hehe :p

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
ay chihuahua! un joven jugador que jugarar con diddy kong!

alliteration with spanish. hellll yeah!!!

:D

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I had to update the entire thread the make sure everything was the right color... I didn't think making all my posts YellowGreen would be retroactive. Good lord, that took awhile :\

Is there anything that needs to be added? I haven't updated this in months (more specifically, I haven't needed to afaik).

Gymdude

Smash Rookie
I don't think any of the links on "MLG'S Get Better Fast: Diddy Kong" work anymore...

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
i have a question, for the controller config i dont use my L button what should i set it for i use R for my shielding?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just theorycrafting here, you could set it to grab to make z dropping aerials easier. You could also set it to special to make glidetossing out of popgun cancelling easier.

:phone:

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I only use L for shielding, so I personally set R to Jump so I could do things like rising Instant Throws and Up-Smash OoS (I don't have Tap Jump on), though ultimately it's up to personal preference. I think most people set their extra shoulder button to Attack for various reasons.

Also, welcome to the Diddy forums, and if you have any other questions we've got a Q&A thread where we'll be happy to answer stuff like this :D

WolfenRiet

Smash Rookie
I enjoy playing as Diddy Kong but I still get confused with all the terminology.
Is there a guide that explains even the simplest terminology about the game?
I'm also fairly new to the franchise but I really like it.
Would appreciate any help.

Also, do most professionals use Gamecube controllers, or do they use the Wii-mote?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I enjoy playing as Diddy Kong but I still get confused with all the terminology.
Is there a guide that explains even the simplest terminology about the game?
I'm also fairly new to the franchise but I really like it.
Would appreciate any help.

Also, do most professionals use Gamecube controllers, or do they use the Wii-mote?
There's a dictionary of sorts in this guide, and it contains a lot of basic terminology (even general Smash stuff on top of the Diddy-specific stuff).

The vast majority of players use Gamecube controllers with, like, three or four exceptions. Typically it comes down to Gamecube vs. Classic controller, with very, very few people using the WiiChuck setup (nobody uses a solo Wiimote, hah).

WolfenRiet

Smash Rookie
There's a dictionary of sorts in this guide, and it contains a lot of basic terminology (even general Smash stuff on top of the Diddy-specific stuff).

The vast majority of players use Gamecube controllers with, like, three or four exceptions. Typically it comes down to Gamecube vs. Classic controller, with very, very few people using the WiiChuck setup (nobody uses a solo Wiimote, hah).
Yeah, but I meant more like fsmash, dsmash... that sort of thing.
And everyone talks about the C-stick quite a bit, does this mean that most of the guides on this website are based on the Gamecube controller?

And also, is it still possible to plug in a Gamecube remote to the RVL-101 Wii model?

Top Bottom