• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
If you have any questions about Diddy Kong, his moveset, what strategies work best, or anything else pertaining to how to play Diddy Kong, post them here!

Before asking any questions, you should check out these threads:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236290
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239113

They have information pertaining to a lot of questions you might ask such as "What is Glide Tossing?"

When someone asks a question, please post only truly constructive, helpful responses.
Any and all troll responses will be infracted; consider this is your only warning.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Fist!!! Also, What do you guys think of Diddy on the Japanese stage list?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I don't see that match up being too bad once the Diddy player learns how to punish ICs recovery. I can see ICs taking Diddy's spot on the tier list with the Japanese rule set, though

Kantrip

Kantplay
I excluded RC so that's a troll response, requesting permaban on P-1. :p

For discussion sake, let's say this ICs bans Rainbow Cruise. Where do you go?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Actually I'd be worried to take an ICs anywhere else because of what Firefly said; they probably have some pocket character for bad counterpicks. Brinstar mayyyybe?

Player-1

Smash Legend
and you don't think people would have pocket chars on brinstar? lol, diddy does better on RC against most chars then brinstar does so if they do have a pocket char then chances are they're better against diddy on brinstar than RC.

PS1 is my personal favorite against ICs. The platforms are laid out in such ways where you can use them as escape routes to not get grabbed from ICs, but where you can still use bananas efficiently.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Squirtle for sure. He's so small and moves so darn fast it's hard for us to do anything to him. No rising F-Airs, Side-B almost never connects, etc. etc. He's easily the hardest character for us to fight against, and from what I've heard other (much better) players saying, if you guys could play just Squirtle it might be a bad MU for us.

Ivysaur is too slow and I'm sure you don't need to be told that as soon as we get a trip, a grab, and a throw off-stage, it's game over.

Diddy Kong has a very easy time comboing large characters, and Charizard is most certainly a large character. Playing against Charizard is like playing against Ike, in that if you get some good reads, we're going to be really punished for it, but you're not fast enough to play reactively.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
and you don't think people would have pocket chars on brinstar? lol, diddy does better on RC against most chars then brinstar does so if they do have a pocket char then chances are they're better against diddy on brinstar than RC.

PS1 is my personal favorite against ICs. The platforms are laid out in such ways where you can use them as escape routes to not get grabbed from ICs, but where you can still use bananas efficiently.
Diddy does better against ICs, DDD, Falco and Fox on Brinstar and it's a great CP against those characters if you know they don't have any pocket characters. What characters can Diddy CP to RC?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Diddy does better against all of those chars on RC except DDD and maybe ICs. I'm....me, I CP RC usually a player basis. I have no problem CPing anyone in the cast there except Gaw, Jiggz, Kirby, MK, Pikachu, Pit, and TL there. DDD and Wario would depend on who the player was.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I have heard Fox and Falco players say that RC is a better stage for them than Brinstar. It makes sense since Diddy can crouch their lasers if he is on the left side. Also, Falco basically loses his onstage lagless side B

Player-1

Smash Legend
it is a better stage for both of them, but not not against Diddy. Falco does really well on RC IMO, most Falcos don't play on it right though. Fox and Falco can kill Diddy way easier on Brinstar than they can on other stages and that's a huge advantage for us in those 2 MUs that are lost. Aerial mobility is also a big part of Brinstar (more so than RC) and both Fox and Falco have better mobility on this stage than Diddy. The fact that he loses his on stage lagless side-b is kind of a bad thing since Diddy can punish it pretty easily so I'd actually prefer for them to be using it. On RC, Falco loses the ability to do an instant lagless side-b on the top part, he can't do it on the boat part going to the left, going to the right it takes more time to land back on the ground since the left side is a slope, also he'd put himself next to the wall which is a terrible place to be vs diddy on this stage. During the rising part he usually only uses it for maneuverability and recovering, not really a run away game.

and idk why you would be crouching lasers, just sit back behind the little pillar thing and shoot peanuts, your popgun crosses over the pillar thing and allows you to shoot peanuts while the lasers hit the pillar thing.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
What are the most common ways for diddy to pull bananas while he's hanging from the ledge? The only one I've done really is ledge jump -> neutral b reverse -> banana pull -> regrab.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sorry, I should've worded it properly. Is there a way to both pluck and catch bananas offstage from the ledge? Or do you pretty much have to burn up your double jump just to pluck and recover safely, and leave the bananas onstage? I know you can do it if you've been sent back aways, and you can b-reverse -> banana pluck -> double jump grab, but that only seems to apply to when you get knocked offstage and are trying to recover, I'm wondering if it's possible to get a banana in your hand while on the ledge, so that you have one ready to throw (or have the threat) when you plan to get off the ledge.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
If you're fast, can't you Drop > Turnaround Popgun Cancel > Banana Pull (Banana hits the edge and falls straight down) > Double Jump > Z-Grab (> Grab Ledge)? If it's possible to do all that stuff fast enough you'd end up grabbing the ledge with a Banana in hand, though this might not be the safest idea if you're pressured on the edge if it works.

TreK

Is "that guy"
If you're fast, can't you Drop > Turnaround Popgun Cancel > Banana Pull (Banana hits the edge and falls straight down) > Double Jump > Z-Grab (> Grab Ledge)? If it's possible to do all that stuff fast enough you'd end up grabbing the ledge with a Banana in hand
I do this quite often, it's not as hard as you make it sound.
though this might not be the safest idea if you're pressured on the edge if it works.
Oh, I see, so that's why my diddy sucks.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just coming in as a fairly new Diddy player, trying to get competition ready with Diddy in the next 14 days if possible. I was wondering what basic AT's you'd recommend that can be picked up in that time, and then which ones to practice over all for later tournaments? I'm just looking to play a well rounded Diddy right now, and I'll focus on mastering him after the tournament. I'm normally a Pit/IC/Sonic player.

Vega4

Smash Ace
14 days: Safe ways to pull out naners when you are under preassure, glide toss, instant catch naner on ground, air catchin of naner, short hop fair as a way to catch naner, naner combos, and all other naner stuff that you can learn...

After tournament: All that other.stuff that you'll find in the guide. Diddy needs time...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just wanted to check that the way to instant catch grounded nanas apart from dash attacking was rising sh fair. If I'm wrong please let me know.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Just wanted to check that the way to instant catch grounded nanas apart from dash attacking was rising sh fair. If I'm wrong please let me know.
Lord Jesus.

You can sh fair, sh bair, land bair, landing nair, falling air dodge, sh air dodge, if you run and hold down and press A when you get near the nana you wont dash attack but instead pick it up and slide slightly, **** you can dair the motha ****as.

But I really only suggest you work on air dodging and sh fair and bair. The other ways are situational and kinda happen on the fly. You're most reliable way is air dodging and the fair and bair.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
if you run and hold down and press A when you get near the nana you wont dash attack but instead pick it up and slide slightly, **** you can dair the motha ****as.
I did this on accident yesterday and it helped me out so much. I need to actually start doing it more... dash attack = auto pilot Diddy for me. Or I get punished.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Apparently standard Diddy camping is to have one nana on the ground infront of you, one in your hand and shooting peanuts. Obviously they'll eventually get to you, so is the idea to throw the nana, then pick up the one infront of you?

Also, what should you do with nanas while you wait for the opponent to respawn?

Thanks in advance.

:phone:

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Apparently standard Diddy camping is to have one nana on the ground infront of you, one in your hand and shooting peanuts. Obviously they'll eventually get to you, so is the idea to throw the nana, then pick up the one infront of you?

Also, what should you do with nanas while you wait for the opponent to respawn?

Thanks in advance.

:phone:
Peanuts to pester them
Banana in front to prevent dash up grab attempts (since they will trip or pick up teh banana instead)

They lost their grab in a way so now everything they attempt to approach with while this banana is in front of you, can be beat by shield. Banana in hand ensure you a decent/good punish. At least thats how I think that camping setup works. There will be a few exceptions tho obviously

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
if you have the banana in hand you can punish the trip from the grounded nana with an double banana lock which will add up to 40% and on high % an kill

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
14 days: Safe ways to pull out naners when you are under preassure, glide toss, instant catch naner on ground, air catchin of naner, short hop fair as a way to catch naner, naner combos, and all other naner stuff that you can learn...

After tournament: All that other.stuff that you'll find in the guide. Diddy needs time...
Awesome, thank you, sorry I just realized I never replied to your post. Thankfully the tourney has been pushed back a week, so I have more time, I think I'm getting pretty good at short hopping away while banana pulling and catching it, also I can generally get myself a banana on stage and one in my hand within 3 ledge jumps, which definitely seems to help with getting back on stage. I can also usually follow up nana throws with various other moves.

Is glide tossing essential to learn with Diddy? I have issues with his glide toss, but Peach's and ZSS's come in handy.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
I AM IN NEED OF THAT PIC OF THE PEANUT AND BANANA COMMUNIST FLAG STYLE :I

Also peanut juggling 4 most important AT I:

peanut juggling too beast :pichu:

Top Bottom