• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Devil is in the Details: Weapon Smith Rodin for Smash

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Anyone here who knows me knows I am a huge fan of the game Bayonetta, and was one of those constantly pushing for her to get in. I voted for her in the Ballot, and have been maining her ever since her release. Though I'm more of a 'For Fun' player than a 'For Glory' player. So I submit to you a possible second rep for the bayo Franchise, Rodin the Bar Owner and Weapon Smith.

Rodin is like a hybrid of Lucifer from Christian Mythology, and Hephaestus from Greek Mythology. A famed weapon smith who worked for Paradiso and supplied its armed forces with its angelic weaponry for a long period of time. He was one of the few angels with the Dea Rank, the only other to share this rank was Jubileus the Creator. One day he attempted to overthrow Jubileus and despite his strength the angelic forces of Paradiso managed to beat him, but just barely. Cast away to Inferno hes since become one of the most feared demons in existence.

He currently runs a bar in New York city called the Gates of Hell, where his day job is being a bar tender to the locals, while providing information and demonic weaponry for Bayonetta. He has a fondness for anything from Japan, hence his clothing choice being a hybrid of japanese and new york clothing styles,. And despite being a demon he has a fondness for cute things, he owns an appron that says 'Chick Magnet' that has pictures of a bunch of baby chicks on it, has a fondness for children similar to Bayonetta, and if you claim Santa Claus isnt real around him he personally gets offended. Bayo2 shows he plays the role of Mall Santa during the holiday season to help gain more money for his bar.

Moveset Ideas: Rodin is a brawler who uses both demonic and angelic abilities.Though certian conditions have to be met in order for him to access his angelic powers. He mostly prefers to use his dark magics.

Aside from just punches and kicks, Rodin is actually capable of shooting lazor beams from his eyes, can create shock waves from stomping his feet on the ground, and due to lacking Witch Time he has an unbreakable blocking technique. One thing they could do with him is give him the ability to use the weapon that shares his name.

In Bayo1 and Bayo2 Bayonetta is capable of using the weapons dropped by her enemies. In Bayo1 it was exclusively angel weapons, in Bayo2 its angel and Demon weapons. The Rodin allows Bayonetta to use all the weapons shes capable of picking up from enemies in stringed attacks. A spear strike, stringing into swords, ending with a blast from a demonic shot gun for example. If Rodin got into SSB5 He could use the Bayo2 variant, summoning holy and demonic weapons to his hands to attack his opponents in Smash Bros.. Maybe take his punching and kicking techniques while as a playable character and apply his magic skills to weapon usage.

For his Final Smash, I figure give him access to his Demon Form, something similar to Wario Man or Ultra Lucario. A boost to attack strength, movement speed, attack speed and such. Show he's one not to be reckoned with.

And maybe even grant him an alternate costume that when his final smash is activated, he uses his Angel form instead.

It could simply be a cosmetic thing, functioning the same way but just looking different.

Now, as to why I feel like he could get in: Despite the IP being owned by Sega, and being developed by PlatinumGames, the Bayonetta franchise has continued exclusively for Nintendo consoles. Bayo2 was funded by Nintendo making it Wii U exclusive, and both it and the first game got ported to the Switch. The third game is like the second, being paid for by Nintendo to be exclusive to the Nintendo Switch. Her franchise has pretty much become a second party franchise, and Nintendo them Selves treat it as such. So I don't think its too far out of left field to expect another Bayo rep. Sure many would expect Jeanne, but I see her more being a costume for Bayo than being her own character. I also want to bring something to y'alls attention Regarding Bayo2 on the Switch.

In Bayonetta 2 for Switch you can scan amiibo in at Rodin's Shop, and the running theme is that hes claiming Bayonetta is receiving mail and packages that he signs off with via a letter. if you scan a SSB4 amiibo unrelated to Bayonetta, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Starfox, and Animal Crossing,he has this to say:

Not only does the Bayonetta franchise acknowledge Bayonetta's involvement in SSB4 as canon to its universe, Rodin explicitly states that the next time shes invited to her 'fight club', he wants to go with her to participate in the fighting. I dunno about you but this feels like it could almost be a hint at him getting in. one of those 'completely in your face but you don't think about it until it happens' sort of thing.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Hmm, a second Bayonetta rep never crossed my mind.

Since Jeanne would probably be a semi-clone (unless they add her motorcycle or something), I think Rodin would also be a great second Bayonetta rep. And let's be honest, he's really cool, interesting, and funny. Plus, he's an absolute powerhouse in-universe and one heck of a boss fight! Honestly, I'd love it if he tagged along this time or at least eventually. He's as over-the-top as Bayonetta, and would be a perfect fit for Smash.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Rodin in Smash would be absolutely hilarious, espacially after the little Smash Easter egg in Bayonetta 2 Switch. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to pit Rodin VS Kirby and Jigglypuff. Or King Dedede (especially since Rodin loves penguins XD)

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Rodin in Smash would be absolutely hilarious, espacially after the little Smash Easter egg in Bayonetta 2 Switch. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to pit Rodin VS Kirby and Jigglypuff. Or King Dedede (especially since Rodin loves penguins XD)
OH MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THAT!

Yeah he would totes get along with Dedede. Maybe if this game has a story mode Rodin and Dedede could travel together, that'd be cute to see.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Yeah he would totes get along with Dedede. Maybe if this game has a story mode Rodin and Dedede could travel together, that'd be cute to see.
I would do ANYTHING to see that XD I really missed the Subspace Emissary when playing Sm4sh, the unexpected interactions between characters from different universes were so heartwarming...

I'd love to see Rodin wearing a Dedede Brooch, it would be too perfect

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
If the Chain Chomp appears in Smash again, I'd like Rodin's Classic Mode montage to show him fighting (or running from) it. It'd be a cool easter egg to when he fought it/turned it to weapon in Bayonetta.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
CHAIN CHOMP BOSS!

Rodin has to face it during the story mode!

tiat'd be amazing! Rodin, Dedede, Ganondorf, Bowser, and Mewtwo teaming up to take it down.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I don't think he'll be anything more than an assist trophy, but I'd be down for Rodin, add me as a supporter.

Rodin's pretty badass, I like him.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I wonder who would win in a fist fight: Captian Falcon with his earthly flames, or Rodin with his hellfire ...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'd say that Rodin would be a far better secondary Bayonetta choice than Jeanne IMO.

Just look at him, he's a barefisted monk who also happens to be Satan as a shopkeeper. How cool is that?

And his skills would be fun to toy around with in Smash. Him vs Bayonetta would be awesome when recreated in Smash.

That being said, sign me up.

I wonder who would win in a fist fight: Captian Falcon with his earthly flames, or Rodin with his hellfire ...
I'd say the clear winner would be Rodin.

Falcon is cool, though he's pretty much facing the Devil himself. But one who's happen like penguins and his halos.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
As usual, Sakurai is the master of trolling. I was shocked to see Rodin in the Smash trailer, only for him to be revealed as an Assist Trophy soon after.

At any rate, at least he's in the game.
Honestly? I am perfectly fine hes in only as an assist trophy. He actually got in the game, which goes with his request in the Switch version of Bayo2. So Kudos to sakurai to going with it <3

KatKit

Smash Lord
Yeah, at the very least, they brought him along to participate in some capacity, so that's cool. Here's hoping he'll playable in the future one day.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Bayonetta 2 for my Wii U. I support!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Bayonetta 2 for my Wii U. I support!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I support. I don't know anything about the Bayonetta series but I totally like Rodin's design.

Also, it may not be worth mentioning but we'd finally have a black character in the game.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I support. I don't know anything about the Bayonetta series but I totally like Rodin's design.

Also, it may not be worth mentioning but we'd finally have a black character in the game.
Not sure if that sounds like forced diversity, but in a way he is in as an AT. Sakurai did pull one one on us by making it look as if he was an alternate skin or an echo fighter.

Top Bottom