• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Piranha Plant Opinion Thread - Official #PlantGang suburbs.

Plant?

• Plant!

• Plant.

• Plant...

• Plant?

• pLaNt.

• PLANT!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oddball

Smash Lord
To me he feels like a testament to the simple fact that, in the end, Sakurai will do as he pleases, and we really should never hold characters who "make sense" in high regard for the roster and consider them "a lock." My heart goes out to the people who had such hopes for the popular picks that didn't quite make the cut, but when I See Piranha Plant and his big goofy grin, I just can't help but smile back.
That right there is how I knew every single leak that came out was fake. if a leak sounds belvable, that's how you know you can't belive it.

Smash Bros has always had "I can't believe this character made it" choices. This one is just the most out there yet.

aigis_87

Smash Rookie
We at the unofficial official Plant discord have made a full moveset analysis of Plant! Every move we were shown, potential frame data, and descriptions of each move, theorized properties, and uses. I know other analyses may exist, but we worked hard to compile all the data we could into one doc. Credit goes to myself, as well as all the other labbers at the discord.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FRMC2PKOfJXoYmMqo-BCmgB9P1HRsmuNUS1OqBi5r3E/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the full document. It's still being added to, but most of it is complete. We plan to add a section detailing playstyle and MUs when Plant is actually revealed, so look forward to that!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, when Piranha Plant comes out as the ninth Mario character and you want to play a Mario-themed match, which mushroom-symbol character will you leave out of the match?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
To be fair, I'd probably leave Rosalina out at that point, because she doesn't really fit in with the rest of the cast who have been around a whole lot longer than she has. Everything other character is practically core game; Rosalina comes from the 3rd 3d Mario platformer, even if she has many subsequent appearances after Super Mario Galaxy.

StormC

Smash Hero
I want to not like this character inclusion on principle but I can't. It's not even a "lol it got in over Isaac!" sentiment. It just looks like a fun character with some great deep cuts in the Mario lore. I'm thankful it's free, all the same.

The only thing that feels missing to me is a fire breath attack. Unless it has one and we haven't seen it yet.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
It's not even a "lol it got in over Isaac!" sentiment.
It's probably best to view Plant as a preorder bonus the devs put together because they thought it would be funny and unexpected, rather than a character thats taking someone place. It's possible it wasn't even considered/conceptualized until after the base roster was decided.

Either way Plant is wonderful and weird. I'm kinda happy it DOESN'T have a fireball attack, it seems too obvious. It's great to see how it encompasses nearly every single part of the Mario series, from big names like Mario 3 and Galaxy down to more out there stuff like the RPG spinoffs.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Besides it just being in the game, what's the most crazy thing about PP for you?
The fact that it’s in the game and can run on two legs. Secondly, the fact it can spit a ****ing giant metal ball at you, and finally

IT

CAN

FLY

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Well, when Piranha Plant comes out as the ninth Mario character and you want to play a Mario-themed match, which mushroom-symbol character will you leave out of the match?
I'll probably leave Dr. Mario out. having 2 Mario's seems a little redundant.

Besides it just being in the game, what's the most crazy thing about PP for you?
to me, it's that it looks like an incredibly fun character that I genuinely feel like I am going to play a lot. when I saw the splash screen, I really wasn't sure how fun or interesting it'd be, but by god Sakurai made it look so fun it's almost my most anticipated new fighter.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
So according to Sakurai's new Famitsu column, we will be getting Piranha Plant slightly sooner than originally expected. They wanted to take time because he was incredibly unique, but they should have him done early February rather than mid February. Not too large of a change, but accepted nonetheless.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
So according to Sakurai's new Famitsu column, we will be getting Piranha Plant slightly sooner than originally expected. They wanted to take time because he was incredibly unique, but they should have him done early February rather than mid February. Not too large of a change, but accepted nonetheless.
Heck yes. A birthday present.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
It’s pretty obvious actually..........All of them. The only 8 player Mario Smash deemed acceptable and representative of series importance is all 8 Piranha Plant colors duking it out. I’m disgusted and dissatisfied that anyone would see anything else as a viable option :p. #plantgang

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I question Piranha Plant's place as an "All-Star" but honestly he feels like the perfect stupid character. No one wanted him and everyone wishes we got someone else instead. However, I am confident he will come to be a beloved character in the franchise. Much Like Pichu, he has just the right mix of dumb and unnecessary to make me love him.
You predicted the future my guy! His amiibo already sold out, he is the most hyped newcomer and he is now generally loved by the majority of the fans.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It’s pretty obvious actually..........All of them. The only 8 player Mario Smash deemed acceptable and representative of series importance is all 8 Piranha Plant colors duking it out. I’m disgusted and dissatisfied that anyone would see anything else as a viable option :p. #plantgang
Yeah, you can do an 8-Player Smash of one character with eight costumes. But I would like to do a series themed match. Pokémon gives you a perfect 8-player Smash, especially when you have Poké Balls as the only item. But I guess if I were to do a Mario themed match, I would have to leave out Piranha Plant because he's not in the base roster. But if I have to include Piranha Plant, I'm not sure who I'll leave out. Dr. Mario maybe because Mario is already present? Or Bowser Jr. because all his alts are separate characters? Or Daisy for being an Echo-- Nope, Daisy's gotta be in. Luigi? As for the other series with less than 8 characters, which would be all the others, I can just get all the characters from that series in and not fill up the match. Like if I were to play a Star Fox match, it can be a three-player match between Fox, Falco and Wolf on the Lylat Cruise. A Metroid battle could have Ridley fighting the three Samuses in Frigate Orpheon. Fire Emblem could have a great 7-Player Smash on Castle Siege. But for characters with only one character like Sonic, might as well do the battle between the eight costumes.

But anyway, besides the dilemma of who to cut from a Mario match, having Piranha Plant in can be great. You know what? Maybe a 6-Player Smash between Piranha Plant and the five Fighter Pass characters could be fun.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you can do an 8-Player Smash of one character with eight costumes. But I would like to do a series themed match. Pokémon gives you a perfect 8-player Smash, especially when you have Poké Balls as the only item. But I guess if I were to do a Mario themed match, I would have to leave out Piranha Plant because he's not in the base roster. But if I have to include Piranha Plant, I'm not sure who I'll leave out. Dr. Mario maybe because Mario is already present? Or Bowser Jr. because all his alts are separate characters? Or Daisy for being an Echo-- Nope, Daisy's gotta be in. Luigi? As for the other series with less than 8 characters, which would be all the others, I can just get all the characters from that series in and not fill up the match. Like if I were to play a Star Fox match, it can be a three-player match between Fox, Falco and Wolf on the Lylat Cruise. A Metroid battle could have Ridley fighting the three Samuses in Frigate Orpheon. Fire Emblem could have a great 7-Player Smash on Castle Siege. But for characters with only one character like Sonic, might as well do the battle between the eight costumes.

But anyway, besides the dilemma of who to cut from a Mario match, having Piranha Plant in can be great. You know what? Maybe a 6-Player Smash between Piranha Plant and the five Fighter Pass characters could be fun.
Piranha Plant is the only Mario character. Once you admit it is easier to accept it :)

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant is the only Mario character. Once you admit it is easier to accept it :)
Nope, Piranha Plant is the ninth Mario character. He's not the "only" Mario character. He may be the only Mario character for DLC (Hopefully), but in the game, the Mario series is the most overrepresented franchise in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Nope, Piranha Plant is the ninth Mario character. He's not the "only" Mario character. He may be the only Mario character for DLC (Hopefully), but in the game, the Mario series is the most overrepresented franchise in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
I wouldn't say Mario is overrepresented, it has 9 characters but one is DLC (Piranha Plant) and two are clones (Dr. Mario, Daisy). With PP it has seven unique movesets which is still less than Pokemon (which has eight characters but only one clone).

I'm betting it'll (Mario) get one more DLC fighter too because Mario appeals to a majority of people.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, Mario's got 9 characters, 18 stages, 20 items, 5 Assist Trophies and 125 Spirits. That is pretty overrepresented. If you count Pokémon Trainer as one character, Mario has the most characters, but if the Trainer's Pokémon are counted separately then I guess 10 Pokémon would beat Mario's 9. Stages don't even come close. Mario's 18 stages is double the runner up Zelda's 9. Zelda's got 8 items, but at least the Smash original items beat Mario's at 28. For the Assist Trophies, Zelda's 4 Assists is the closest to Mario's 5, but if you count Poké Balls as special Assist Trophies, there are a ridiculous 55 Pokémon, but since they come from a different item, maybe they don't count. Oh and not to mention Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario started off as Mario characters and would regularly appear in the Mario series, yet they got their own symbol and series properties. If we add all the DK/Yoshi/Wario stuff, that would be 14 characters, 28 stages, 7 Assist Trophies, 23 items and 185 Spirits. So yes, there is an awful lot of Mario content in this game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Way I see it, Mario is the face of gaming as a medium along with maybe Pikachu, and as such, he's entitled to as much Smash representation as he damn well pleases. It'd take a lot for Mario to be legitimately overrepresented in my eyes, especially when Pokemon has more content in the game by pretty much all accounts. (Mario only beats it in terms of stage count and presumably music.)
And counting DK, Yoshi, and Wario as Mario content is disingenuous at best considering they are treated as separate series, even outside of Smash. Don't be that guy.

Rizen

Smash Legend
And counting DK, Yoshi, and Wario as Mario content is disingenuous at best considering they are treated as separate series, even outside of Smash. Don't be that guy.
Yeah it's not like they were all in any number of Mario games, started in Mario games or were in recent Mario games like Super Mario Party, oh wait....

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah it's not like they were all in any number of Mario games, started in Mario games or were in recent Mario games like Super Mario Party, oh wait....
this **** again.gif

But they don't represent Mario in Smash... they all clearly represent their own unique series. The closest any of them comes to representing Mario is Yoshi, and even then, his song and stage selection makes it clear that he represents the "Yoshi" line of games and not the "Mario" line of games. (At best, you have one stage based on Super Mario World to work with if you're gonna argue otherwise.) Saying that counts as Mario content is a stretch to say the least, and that's to say nothing of DK and Wario.
If you're gonna reach that far, R.O.B. represents Kirby. I mean, his first in-game appearance was in Kirby's Dream Land 3, after all! They occupy the same universe, so they're part of the same series, right?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's honestly difficult for me to think a scenario where Mario can be overrepresented. It's Mario.

Rizen

Smash Legend
View attachment 179806
But they don't represent Mario in Smash... they all clearly represent their own unique series. The closest any of them comes to representing Mario is Yoshi, and even then, his song and stage selection makes it clear that he represents the "Yoshi" line of games and not the "Mario" line of games. (At best, you have one stage based on Super Mario World to work with if you're gonna argue otherwise.) Saying that counts as Mario content is a stretch to say the least, and that's to say nothing of DK and Wario.

If you're gonna reach that far, R.O.B. represents Kirby. I mean, his first in-game appearance was in Kirby's Dream Land 3, after all! They occupy the same universe, so they're part of the same series, right?
Just because characters have spinoff series doesn't mean they're not core members of another series. When you think of Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, etc without DK, Yoshi and Wario it feels wrong. They're all key parts of the Mario franchise. Luigi got his own series Luigi's Mansion so is he not part of the Mario series anymore? Is Peach not because Super Princess Peach? That's not how it works.

That's not ROB's first appearance. He, like Samus, got a cameo; it's different than being a core member of a series.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
How useful do you think Piranha Plant's Specials are in terms of competitive play?
Based on the trailer footage on Piranha Plant so far, his Spike Balls seem to be a handy tool for edge guarding. As for his other two special moves besides his recovery move, I think that they might be useful for certain situations.
For instance, that special move where he puts himself in his pot and then lunges forward with incredible range can be good for catching airdodges, mainly the direction airdodge. It could potentially be useful for edgeguarding as well, assuming if you aim downwards with that special, if not then opponents can easily avoid it by recovering from below the stage.
As for his Poison Spit special move, I say the best way to catch people with that move is by using it as sort of a ledge trap for when they do a jump or normal get up from the ledge.

Anyways, everything that I'm saying is all just speculation. Since we don't have any actual gameplay footage of Piranha Plant yet, we don't exactly know what his entire moveset is like or how his specials will actually work yet. But anyways, what are your thoughts on Piranha Plants specials?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
How useful do you think Piranha Plant's Specials are in terms of competitive play?
Based on the trailer footage on Piranha Plant so far, his Spike Balls seem to be a handy tool for edge guarding. As for his other two special moves besides his recovery move, I think that they might be useful for certain situations.
For instance, that special move where he puts himself in his pot and then lunges forward with incredible range can be good for catching airdodges, mainly the direction airdodge. It could potentially be useful for edgeguarding as well, assuming if you aim downwards with that special, if not then opponents can easily avoid it by recovering from below the stage.
As for his Poison Spit special move, I say the best way to catch people with that move is by using it as sort of a ledge trap for when they do a jump or normal get up from the ledge.

Anyways, everything that I'm saying is all just speculation. Since we don't have any actual gameplay footage of Piranha Plant yet, we don't exactly know what his entire moveset is like or how his specials will actually work yet. But anyways, what are your thoughts on Piranha Plants specials?
We really need to learn more about the specials.
The spike ball seems pretty self-explanitory, but there's a number of questions about the poison breath and stretch.
How do you control which direction PP tilts during the stretch, is it intangible during the move or does its hitbox extend with it?
The poison breath also seems like an enigma. What does it do? Is it like Robins Noseratu without healing? Does it set up a lingering cloud that does damage to fighters standing in it? If it hits an opponent will it do damage over time?

I can't wait to hear the answers to these questions.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We really need to learn more about the specials.
The spike ball seems pretty self-explanitory, but there's a number of questions about the poison breath and stretch.
How do you control which direction PP tilts during the stretch, is it intangible during the move or does its hitbox extend with it?
The poison breath also seems like an enigma. What does it do? Is it like Robins Noseratu without healing? Does it set up a lingering cloud that does damage to fighters standing in it? If it hits an opponent will it do damage over time?

Something tells me even the devs don't really know the answers to these questions yet, hence why he needs more time to grow.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Something tells me even the devs don't really know the answers to these questions yet, hence why he needs more time to grow.
At this point they most certainly know, they're currently probably polishing some animations and playtesting to make sure there's nothing broken or buggy.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight

It's definitely not like Robin's Down Special since it's not a command grab. If you recall during his reveal in the Smash Direct 11.1.2018, you can see that as he demonstrated his poison breath on Luigi, Luigi was able to perform a taunt as he was getting poison.

We also don't which special move is which for Piranha Plant aside from obvious recovery move which has him flying like a helicopter. For all we know, his spike ball attack could turn out to be his Side Special instead of his Neutral Special.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
His Aerials

It's definitely not like Robin's Down Special since it's not a command grab. If you recall during his reveal in the Smash Direct 11.1.2018, you can see that as he demonstrated his poison breath on Luigi, Luigi was able to perform a taunt as he was getting poison.

We also don't which special move is which for Piranha Plant aside from obvious recovery move which has him flying like a helicopter. For all we know, his spike ball attack could turn out to be his Side Special instead of his Neutral Special.
I'm very confident the spike ball is the neutral special. There are cases where PP blows the ball over its head without tossing it in any direction. That seems neutral-B-ish. Meanwhile poison breath is an attack that specifically attacks beside PP, so it'd fit a side special. Though it could be the down special, but the stretch seems more likely for that.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
the Mario series is the most overrepresented franchise in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Mario is literally the biggest video game franchise in the world, and has sold more than twice as many games as Pokemon (excluding mobile games which have less information about sales). Compared to series like Fire Emblem, Kirby, Star Fox and Metroid, the Mario series has sold from 15 (Kirby) to 53 times (Fire Emblem) as many games.

Mario has sold more copies than every first-party series in Smash combined excluding only Pokemon and the Wii/Mii series (Wii Sports and such). And even that's counting DK, Yoshi and Wario as separate.

Mario also has more games, in terms of the number of titles, than many of these series combined. Mario should be the most represented series.
Mario actually started in a Donkey Kong game, not the other way around ;)

And then Diddy Kong and K Rool started in DK games as well, with no connection to Mario initially.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Mario is literally the biggest video game franchise in the world, and has sold more than twice as many games as Pokemon (excluding mobile games which have less information about sales). Compared to series like Fire Emblem, Kirby, Star Fox and Metroid, the Mario series has sold from 15 (Kirby) to 53 times (Fire Emblem) as many games.

Mario has sold more copies than every first-party series in Smash combined excluding only Pokemon and the Wii/Mii series (Wii Sports and such). And even that's counting DK, Yoshi and Wario as separate.

Mario also has more games, in terms of the number of titles, than many of these series combined. Mario should be the most represented series.
Mario actually started in a Donkey Kong game, not the other way around ;)

And then Diddy Kong and K Rool started in DK games as well, with no connection to Mario initially.
I never said Mario didn't. I set a series of conditions all the characters fit into one or more of.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I never said Mario didn't. I set a series of conditions all the characters fit into one or more of.
Yeah yeah, but it's a little lumping together to say it like that. Yoshi and Wario are clearly spinoffs of the Mario series, while DK's relationship with Mario is more complicated and he'd only be considered a spinoff rather than the other way around because Mario came to overshadow DK. Donkey Kong appears in Mario spinoff games but not any mainline games (I'd consider Super Mario Land 2 to be a mainline game, it offers typical Mario platform gameplay, it's just on Game Boy).

Donkey Kong has his own thing but he does fit the aesthetic of Mario pretty well and they're connected from the original Donkey Kong game. It's more like they mutually originate in the same game but neither is a spinoff of the other.

But if they started putting Link in most Mario spinoff games (like how he's in Mario Kart 8), it still wouldn't make Link a Mario character.

Basically, I can see a pretty good argument for considering Yoshi and Wario to be part of the Mario series' representation, although they have established universes with their own aesthetics and characters. The case for DK as a Mario character is much, much weaker. They're related universes but DK isn't a spinoff.

Even so, as I said, Mario still isn't overrepresented even if you consider them part of it...

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Even so, as I said, Mario still isn't overrepresented even if you consider them part of it...
I would be down for one of the DLC, in addition to PP, being a Mario rep tbh. They don't feel over-represented considering the diversity of its character catalog, whereas we have 350 anime swordsmen from Fire Emblem that all play the exact same despite obvious design differences

Top Bottom