• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

MrMilk

Smash Rookie
I'm still so worried. Why would they bring back mh costumes for promotion, why would they do it...
I think the big thing to me is Bandai Namco is clearly holding back their content for SOMETHING. I really don't foresee it just being spirit boards and that's it. If that was all they had why not drop stuff on the anniversary dates? Just doesn't make sense unless a character is on the way. That leads me to either Souls or Tales and I think Tales has the edge in terms of the promotional aspect with the new game along with being fan requested and having a big legacy. That along with the fact that a number of the key Symphonia team members are on the Ultimate team. Checks all the boxes imo.

The Capcom thing is weird but I think it seems like a case of "Well we don't have anything else planned to put here so this could work I guess." Super odd though that we never got Xeno series stuff in terms of costumes.

widu0746

Smash Rookie
I think the big thing to me is Bandai Namco is clearly holding back their content for SOMETHING. I really don't foresee it just being spirit boards and that's it. If that was all they had why not drop stuff on the anniversary dates? Just doesn't make sense unless a character is on the way. That leads me to either Souls or Tales and I think Tales has the edge in terms of the promotional aspect with the new game along with being fan requested and having a big legacy. That along with the fact that a number of the key Symphonia team members are on the Ultimate team. Checks all the boxes imo.

The Capcom thing is weird but I think it seems like a case of "Well we don't have anything else planned to put here so this could work I guess." Super odd though that we never got Xeno series stuff in terms of costumes.
my personal speculation and what I tell myself as comfort is that in terms of holding off on anything tales related could be due to covid. I remember reading that covid greatly affected the tales of team which was why any tales of Arise news went hush for pretty much the entire year of 2020. Now with tales of Arise finally around the corner, means they were finally able to work on stuff and could possibly mean they finally had time to work on something for smash being Lloyd.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I have a question. How would everyone here feel if we ended up getting another Tales of character, like Yuri Lowell, instead of Lloyd, and that Tales character came with the Lloyd Mii costume? Honestly, I understand that Lloyd's been requested for several years now and he's likely the guy that most people would prefer, but I wouldn't mind since I prefer Yuri as a protagonist anyway (I'm also currently playing through Tales of Vesperia DE on the Switch too 👍).

Last edited:

MrMilk

Smash Rookie
I have a question. How would everyone here feel if we ended up getting another Tales of character, like Yuri Lowell, instead of Lloyd, and that Tales character came with the Lloyd Mii costume? Honestly, I understand that Lloyd's been requested for several years now and he's likely the guy that most people would prefer, but I wouldn't mind since I prefer Yuri as a protagonist anyway (I'm also currently playing through Tales of Vesperia DE on the Switch too 👍).
I'm fine with many of the protagonists from Tales honestly even though Lloyd is my most wanted. The only ones I'd actively be bummed about would probably be either Sorey, Asbel, Emil, or Senel since I didn't really care for those games.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Everyone says they'd be fine with a different Tales rep until we get Reid Hershel from Tales of Eternia

MrMilk

Smash Rookie
I do wonder if a "Hero" situation would be possible for Tales if we used the characters who only wield a single sword. Something like Cress, Yuri, Stahn, and Alphen could be fun. Obviously highly unlikely but interesting to think about.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I do wonder if a "Hero" situation would be possible for Tales if we used the characters who only wield a single sword. Something like Cress, Yuri, Stahn, and Alphen could be fun. Obviously highly unlikely but interesting to think about.
No that would be horrible and really only worked with Dragon Quest because the protag's are all generic main characters with about the same fighting styles

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
The Tales Protagonists are very different from each other and each one of them has a different Fighting Style.
A Hero type of deal wouldn't really work. That would be like having Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi as the same character with the same moveset.
I would really want the Tales Rep to be Lloyd but I would be fine with almost any other Protagonist. They are all good characters for the most part.

widu0746

Smash Rookie
Personally, I would rather have Lloyd. While Lloyd would be another "anime sword fighter" him having two swords would be what separates him from the previous animu sword people in this pass. While some can argue that Yuri does a combination of kicks and punches in his move-set, I still think the dual-wielding aspect of Lloyd to be the better concept to go with. Heck, I could even see sakurai making a joke about how people complain that there are too many sword fighters, well Lloyd has two! so its "different"

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Nah I don't think so. Unlike the Dragon Quest heroes, the Tales of protagonists all have different artes, abilities and playstyles from each other, and can't really mix together to make a 4-in-1 fighter like Hero.

Personally, I would rather have Lloyd. While Lloyd would be another "anime sword fighter" him having two swords would be what separates him from the previous animu sword people in this pass. While some can argue that Yuri does a combination of kicks and punches in his move-set, I still think the dual-wielding aspect of Lloyd to be the better concept to go with. Heck, I could even see sakurai making a joke about how people complain that there are too many sword fighters, well Lloyd has two! so its "different"
I don't really care about the "Too many anime swordsmen" zealots. They don't even make up a quarter of the roster, and most of them play pretty different from each other anyway. People need to get over that and stop whining about it.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be honest I doubt they would pick anyone outside of Lloyd, Stahn or Yuri, since those are the 3 most successful titles (and popular faces let's be honest). If there is no particular reason to promote any of the other titles (like a new port or something), then I doubt they will. It would be among those three faces.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Ugh, Man, I can't decide on who I want to predict to be revealed on Tuesday anymore! I originally said Crash Bandicoot and Yuri Lowell in the Crash, Lloyd and Yuri forums, but now I just don't know who I want to root for in general! I've changed my mind so many times that I've just become so damn indecisive on the matter...

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, Man, I can't decide on who I want to predict to be revealed on Tuesday anymore! I originally said Crash Bandicoot and Yuri Lowell in the Crash, Lloyd and Yuri forums, but now I just don't know who I want to root for in general! I've changed my mind so many times that I've just become so damn indecisive on the matter...
Lloyd, Yuri, Crash, you can root for any and all of them. Just because you don't think your home team will win doesn't mean you shouldn't show them support; same goes for your favorite characters. No one here is drawing up battle lines between characters, I don't think

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Everyone speculates Lloyd and Yuri
And it's actually Luke who gets in
How funny would that be

Extrasy

Smash Rookie
I think it would be great as long as the character is well implemented. I am just as eager to get Sheena since she is such a cool character with unique abilities. Same goes for Judith or even Regal even though they are less likely. The Tales of games have a lot of cool character styles and archetypes.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Everyone speculates Lloyd and Yuri
And it's actually Luke who gets in
How funny would that be
You know, aside from Lloyd and Yuri, Luke is probably the only other Tales of character that I think could be popular enough to be a contender with them for Smash. But I feel like it's got to be either Lloyd or Yuri that gets in (or both, if we somehow get that lucky). Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia are both neck-and-neck in terms of both sales and popularity compared to the other Tales games.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So a new trailer for Arise was at the summer Games Fest.

Our last two characters have finally been revealed!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Really loving these designs. This cast is just 👌

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Dang so if all the Arise info like party members are revealed, does that mean we could indeed get more Tales news at E3 🤔
ALSO I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT, why did Sakurai have to torture US THE LONGEST 😭😭

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Dang so if all the Arise info like party members are revealed, does that mean we could indeed get more Tales news at E3 🤔
ALSO I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT, why did Sakurai have to torture US THE LONGEST 😭😭
Gotta find something else to focus on until the time comes, man. We still have five days to go. You're setting yourself up for a bad time until then and a worse one if the worst happens.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
They shouldn't even bother at this point. Sakurai and Nintendo will never impress us, they'd much rather add corporate trash like Min Min or Demi-Fiend 😖
Hey Buddy!! Be Optimistic!! Nintendo and Sakurai has already added so many dream characters. Lloyd's chances are still very high. Do not count Lloyd out yet! The Journey of World Regeneration continues it ain't over until Nintendo says it is. And if Lloyd doesn't get in Ultimate so what? That doesn't mean Lloyd will never get in Smash. There is the next Smash Game and trust me there will be a next Smash Game.

BryanD

Smash Rookie
Days away from the next reveal... hoping it's our boy! 👀 Or at the very least... he survives the Mii costume slaughter once more. While I don't think Lloyd would be an earth-shattering E3 reveal for most people, I know almost everyone in this thread would absolutely explode of happiness!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sadly most likely fake.
One, it's 4chan, never trust 4chan.
And two it's common for fakers to leech one bit of truth that was leaked PRIOR to their fake leak, and make a fake list by mixing that in, to make it believable. This is done all the time. 🤷‍♂️
Funny coincidence though is that both characters match EpicMartin's Pink/Light Red and Green estimation. :p Oh well, hoping for the best on Tuesday though.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Last edited:
Top Bottom