• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

Here’s to hoping for Lloyd as one of the last two! Another bonus fighter at most could happen (though wouldn’t get my hopes up), but not a fighter pass 3 which I’m glad he reiterated on. Gotta close the book at some point.
The end is near ladies and gentlemen. It's been quite a ride.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
I don't think any of the CHARACTERS in the fighter passes had me super excited. But the only ones that haven't really clicked with me in terms of gameplay are Joker, Min Min, and Steve. I've quite enjoyed the DLC so far, so ultimately (lol) as long as Sakurai delivers something fun, I'll be satisfied.

That said, PLEASE Mr. Sakurai, throw us a bone 🙏

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I got my most wanted pretty early on (Banjo) so everything else has honestly been just extra for me. That being said, if Phoenix Wright or Lloyd got in I would lose my mind
I feel like Lloyd's more likely between those two. I've got no proof of course, but I just don't think we're getting anymore Capcom characters at this point.

I feel the same way about Banjo. He's one of my 4 mains currently, and I was ecstatic when he was announced so close to my birthday back in June 2019!

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Lloyd's more likely between those two. I've got no proof of course, but I just don't think we're getting anymore Capcom characters at this point.

I feel the same way about Banjo. He's one of my 4 mains currently, and I was ecstatic when he was announced so close to my birthday back in June 2019!
Inb4 "mii costumes from bamco return piecemeal with other figjter lloyd no get in they woild save miis for him"

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Inb4 "mii costumes from bamco return piecemeal with other figjter lloyd no get in they woild save miis for him"
I'll be fine if that happens, I promise. I know Lloyd is not guaranteed to happen, just like every other character is not guaranteed to happen, and that his Mii costume could still come back with another character.

That said, I still think Lloyd, and Tales of in general, is in a better position to happen than most, if not all, of my other most-wanted characters.

Last edited:

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I
I'll be fine if that happens, I promise. I know Lloyd is not guaranteed to happen, just like every other character is not guaranteed to happen, and that his mii costume could still come back with another character.

That said, I still think Lloyd, and Tales of in general, is in a better position than most of my other wanted characters to happen.
I was saying that people try saying they would save the Namco mii's for Lloyd and try to use square Enix as an example for some reason

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I
I was saying that people try saying they would save the Namco mii's for Lloyd and try to use square Enix as an example for some reason
Well, Heihachi and Gil coming with Min Min and Steve should've quashed that theory. So anyone who says that should probably think again. I could see us getting a couple Tales of Mii costumes with Lloyd or Yuri though. I'm kinda hoping for a KOS-MOS Mii costume as well.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Well, Heihachi and Gil coming with Min Min and Steve should've quashed that theory. So anyone who says that should probably think again. I could see us getting a couple Tales of Mii costumes with Lloyd or Yuri though. I'm kinda hoping for a KOS-MOS Mii costume as well.
Imagine, if you will, Swordfighter costumes for Kratos and Zelos

DazeXz

Smash Rookie
well if sakurai hadn't said that he added the Monhun miis due to MH Rise release i would feel even better about tales of chances cause the miis have been really square on, min min/heihachi(fighting game), steve/gil (visually similar in their native appearances/blocks and 8bit kinda fit), sephiroth/geno(company), the way this is going i just cant see lloyd not coming with a bandai rep (tales or other) or an action rpg rep. i only think this cause so far its benn 4/4 since Monhun still fits the "pattern"

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Imagine, if you will, Swordfighter costumes for Kratos and Zelos
well if sakurai hadn't said that he added the Monhun miis due to MH Rise release i would feel even better about tales of chances cause the miis have been really square on, min min/heihachi(fighting game), steve/gil (visually similar in their native appearances/blocks and 8bit kinda fit), sephiroth/geno(company), the way this is going i just cant see lloyd not coming with a bandai rep (tales or other) or an action rpg rep. i only think this cause so far its benn 4/4 since Monhun still fits the "pattern"
If Lloyd gets in, I could see us getting Mii Swordfighter costumes for Yuri Lowell and Kratos, and maybe even a Sheena Mii Brawler costume.
If Yuri gets in, I could see us getting the Lloyd costume back alongside a Flynn Scifo Mii Swordfighter costume.
And... If neither get in, then we're probably just getting the Lloyd costume back 😖.

I would go with a suggestion for if BOTH Lloyd and Yuri got in, but since Sakurai said in his latest column that there are in fact only 2 fighters left before Smash Ultimate finishes, then that kinda quashes my 2-for-1 Challenger Pack theory. And I doubt they're each gonna take one of the last 2 spots. So at this point, I guess I gotta hope for either just Lloyd or just Yuri to get in.

Last edited:

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I find it a bit weird that this one specific time they would use mii's to promote stuff.

DazeXz

Smash Rookie
okay so i talked about how every mii costume that has been coming back was already represented in base game before so this time i went back to smash 4 to see what really happened to all of them and if the lloyd mii comes back he will be the only mii that returned to with no other content related to the series so i hate being optimistic but him being saved for last and also being the only one to have no content in base game, to me, only means that hes completely cut which would be really weird, or hes in. Not much time left so well know soon but in terms of circunstancial evidence i think we can agree lloyd is king right now.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
You would think that if Lloyd was going to be a mii he would be shown alongside Pyra and Mythra during their presentation. It just makes a lot of sense to show him there. No reason not to right? This means one of two things that Lloyd's mii is coming back with another Bandai Namco Character or Lloyd is upgraded to a playable fighter. I just don't see Lloyd's mii coming back with anything else when :ultpyra:'s Presentation would have been the perfect time to show him as a mii fighter. I see people saying Hayabusa could be a choice for the mii costume but to me Pyra makes more sense. I'm certain that Lloyd isn't going to be cut, That would just be weird. We are getting Lloyd in Smash that is basically guaranteed. In what form we still don't know. I'm going with my gut instinct here I'm confident one of the last two fighters is a Bandai Namco rep. For now Lloyd chances are pretty high.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You would think that if Lloyd was going to be a mii he would be shown alongside Pyra and Mythra during their presentation. It just makes a lot of sense to show him there. No reason not to right? This means one of two things that Lloyd's mii is coming back with another Bandai Namco Character or Lloyd is upgraded to a playable fighter. I just don't see Lloyd's mii coming back with anything else when :ultpyra:'s Presentation would have been the perfect time to show him as a mii fighter. I see people saying Hayabusa could be a choice for the mii costume but to me Pyra makes more sense. I'm certain that Lloyd isn't going to be cut, That would just be weird. We are getting Lloyd in Smash that is basically guaranteed. In what form we still don't know. I'm going with my gut instinct here I'm confident one of the last two fighters is a Bandai Namco rep. For now Lloyd chances are pretty high.
Yeah, considering we had 3 JRPGs in pass 1, I think it wouldn't be weird at all to get a 3rd JRPG in this pass, be it Lloyd or whoever Lloyd's mii comes with (not necessarily a different Bamco rep, but JRPG instead, since Heihachi came with min min as a fighting game theme, and Gil came with Steve as a dungeons / armor and sword theme). Honestly I will die on the hill that if Lloyd is not in, his mii would come with Isaac's upgrade to a fighter, both sharing the same composer and Lloyd bringing even a track from ToS if mii costume was his destiny again. Again I severly doubt that Motoi Sakuraba came back to Pass 2 arrangements just to make 2 random ones (one for steve and one for sephiroth) when he wasn't present at all in any arrangement during Pass 1.

But yeah, I feel like this is a 50/50 situation where it could go, but also Lloyd has some huge things going on for him now, specially during this special year. Praying that Lloyd gets in, because it's just ridiculous to think we would just get a mii while there's still literally no spirits for the franchise even, it would literally feel super underrepresented when compared to the other 2 big JRPGs, DQ and FF (of which them 3 form the acclaimed top 3 JRPGs in Japan, as stated in the Tales Of series wikipedia article).

May is finally almost over already anyway, so not much longer now to finally get a rest from all the mystery, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think it's possible that if a 3rd party mii costume was selected to be promoted(in this case if it's Lloyd) than they would be among the last characters as to get the other mii costumes out of the way as to not create false hope. I mean if Lloyd was revealed much earlier, the backlash against certain characters who have mii costumes last game like Geno would definitely have been much worse.

Of course the 25th anniversary Tales is another factor if a Tales Rep is one of the last.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly think Tales of is in a better spot than most other characters at getting in. I'll be pulling for either Lloyd or Yuri in that case, alongside maybe Crash or Ryu Hayabusa (even if I'm doubtful of both of their chances) for the last spot.
I do think Tales is quietly sitting on the sideline and could work there way in. I agree.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Direct confirmed!!! June 15th at 9 am PT/12 pm ET!!
Won't be long until we find out who the new smash character is. I'm also hoping for more news on Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2.
I'm excited for all new games in general this year looks like it is gonna be hype. I wanna see what Microsoft and Nintendo are up to now. I'm hoping to get more news on DQ and Sonic as well. Tales of Arise will probably be shown there as well.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Won't be long until we find out who the new smash character is. I'm also hoping for more news on Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2.
I'm excited for all new games in general this year looks like it is gonna be hype. I wanna see what Microsoft and Nintendo are up to now. I'm hoping to get more news on DQ and Sonic as well. Tales of Arise will probably be shown there as well.
I've got a good feeling about Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3, since it's been so long since we've seen anything on either of them. BotW 2 is EASILY my most-anticipated game, and I'm hopeful about seeing a Zelda 3D collection (hopefully with Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD), and if those rumored Donkey Kong and 2D Metroid games are true.

As for Smash, I'm gonna go ahead and make my final predictions for the last 2 fighters: Yuri Lowell and Crash Bandicoot!

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Bamco and Nintendo on the same day huh?...

My order (🍔 🍟🥤) will be: klonoa news, more Tales Of ports and Lloyd in smash please, thx.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

My order (🍔 🍟🥤) will be: klonoa news, more Tales Of ports and Lloyd in smash please, thx.
It's probably a coincidence. But that's still pretty cool.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice

I'd like Lloyd in Smash and a Switch remake of Symphonia, with updated graphics and full voice acting, please!

widu0746

Smash Rookie

What I am hoping will happen is Lloyd for smash + Tales of Arise on the new Switch PRO

MrMilk

Smash Rookie
So I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this but I'm almost betting on Bamco being the last character on pass two and that being the time all their spirits and other content drops. I think it would be a fitting way to end things and makes sense in terms of Smash dlc generally not ending on Earth shattering characters. I've wondered for awhile what the deal is spirit wise with Bamco since I don't foresee them not being added in. Makes sense that we're waiting on a character and they might get the final spotlight before the game is finished.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
So I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this but I'm almost betting on Bamco being the last character on pass two and that being the time all their spirits and other content drops. I think it would be a fitting way to end things and makes sense in terms of Smash dlc generally not ending on Earth shattering characters. I've wondered for awhile what the deal is spirit wise with Bamco since I don't foresee them not being added in. Makes sense that we're waiting on a character and they might get the final spotlight before the game is finished.
Yeah I could see that. But at the same time E3 Nintendo's Direct is on the same day as Bandai Namco's show. Unless both 10 and 11 are shown at E3 I don't see a Bandai Namco rep being the last fighter. Of course this is assuming that the Bamco show has something to do with the Nintendo Direct. It could very easily not be the case. But let's say we do know a Bamco Rep for sure is the next fighter. The Bamco Rep would have to be an Atom Bomb character.
E3 reveals have to be huge in terms of popularity. Dark Souls and Tales Of are only two Namco Franchises that can fit that right now. I would say Digimon and Gundam could fit that as well but I'm not sure if they count as Video Game Characters.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I could see that. But at the same time E3 Nintendo's Direct is on the same day as Bandai Namco's show. Unless both 10 and 11 are shown at E3 I don't see a Bandai Namco rep being the last fighter. Of course this is assuming that the Bamco show has something to do with the Nintendo Direct. It could very easily not be the case. But let's say we do know a Bamco Rep for sure is the next fighter. The Bamco Rep would have to be an Atom Bomb character.
E3 reveals have to be huge in terms of popularity. Dark Souls and Tales Of are only two Namco Franchises that can fit that right now. I would say Digimon and Gundam could fit that as well but I'm not sure if they count as Video Game Characters.
Is Namco's E3 presentation normally on Tuesday?

widu0746

Smash Rookie
Is Namco's E3 presentation normally on Tuesday?
I went to go check when the last time Bandai Namco had a special time slot at E3 or even showed up at E3 and so far my google searches have not found anything, even going back as far back as 2015. However, my searches were not very deep aside from E3 20xx schedule so take this with a grain of salt. Fingers crossed that Bandai Namco showing at the same day as Nintendo after years of not having a special slot means something for our boy Lloyd.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I went to go check when the last time Bandai Namco had a special time slot at E3 or even showed up at E3 and so far my google searches have not found anything, even going back as far back as 2015. However, my searches were not very deep aside from E3 20xx schedule so take this with a grain of salt. Fingers crossed that Bandai Namco showing at the same day as Nintendo after years of not having a special slot means something for our boy Lloyd
Makes sense to not find an actual presentation from them, it would explain why recently they trademarked "Bandai Namco Next" which everyone assumed it's gonna be used for a presentation… and now that we see they have their own spot at E3 I think that's what it will be for indeed. It might be a first for them.

Last edited:

widu0746

Smash Rookie
On a side note, wouldn't it be hilarious if they introduced lloyd by first introducing his mii fighter costume as a nod to his wanted poster?

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Guys why did Sakurai prolong our suffering
In JJJ Voice "Sakurai is a menace to the entire Smash Community!! Not giving us Clear Answers or revealing secrets!! Just what is he hiding? Spider-Man?
Parker go take pictures of Sakurai!!"

Waiting is rough but we can wait longer. I'd rather have a great character announced with great games than a great character by themselves. E3 isn't that far anyways.

Top Bottom