• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Could've sworn that knockoff vergeben clone ifran cuck already said he didn't believe it
Do you take Imran seriously? He's only had inside knowledge on Min Min since the start of Fighters Pass 2. Also that 5chan leak was from all the way back in 2018, and it had correct info on Hero, Steve and Sephiroth way back then, long before Imran even came into the picture...
[/QUOTE]
Wait that leak was part of a bigger leak that was back in 2018???

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
But don't Lloyd and Yuri play completely different from one another? They not only use 2 swords and 1 sword respectively, but they use completely different artes too. I just don't see how one could be an Echo Fighter of the other without taking away aspects of their playstyles. Also, I don't see both Lloyd and Yuri taking up both of the remaining Challenger Packs, which was why I was saying that they could be a 2 fighter in 1 Challenger Pack. I know against the "1 Fighter, 1 Stage, and a set of Music Tracks" rule established by Sakurai for the Challenger Packs, but... it's possible that Sakurai couldn't choose between one or the other, so he might just add both for the sheer fun of it...
Right. If they did end up being echoes of each other, on one hand, fans are happy they're in the game; on the other, fans are upset because one, the other, or both of them aren't portrayed correctly.

I don't think it's likely they'll each get a challenger pack, either, but it does fit within the rules and the established pattern. That's why I said it's the most likely scenario right now. I'd be okay with it if Sakurai threw them both into one, but that's just not going to happen. Making a new character takes time and resources and money; he's not going to give us a whole extra character just for the heck of it. If more characters are added after pass 2, that'll become the best shot at getting both.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Do you take Imran seriously? He's only had inside knowledge on Min Min since the start of Fighters Pass 2. Also that 5chan leak was from all the way back in 2018, and it had correct info on Hero, Steve and Sephiroth way back then, long before Imran even came into the picture...
Wait that leak was part of a bigger leak that was back in 2018???
[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That leak is over 2 years old, and because it actually mentioned a few characters that wound up happening, it's the only Smash leak that I think may have merit. Journalists only started talking about it back in January though because it mentioned the recently-released Sephiroth.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I would just ignore it. Not worth wasting our time on that stuff nor on whoever believes it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I meant when he he keeps talking about Koei Tecmo rep in Smash. God please no Ryu Hayabusa in Smash lmfao
I don't mind Ryu Hayabusa, he is cool ( I love my ninjas lol) , but after what happened to Travis and MH, I wouldn't be surprised if he just gets a mii costume to promote the sigma games in the end. I just keep low expectations on his potential inclusion, because it could easily end in that way as well.

Last edited:

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
I mean, he has an opinion, and he's allowed to share it. It's better and, in this case, easy enough to pick apart the argument instead.

The goal of mii fighter costumes is not and has never been to emulate a character accurately; they exist for simple fan service. A costume isn't the character, it's a way to play dress-up with your avatar. Look at Sans. Look at Aerith. If we want to go back to Smash 4, look at King K Rool. None of the mii fighter move sets resemble those of the characters the costumes are based on, and there are a lot more I could name.

And hey, you know who else is left handed and has a mii costume anyway? Dunban. As in, physically-can't-fight-with-his-right-hand Dunban.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it… If any of the last 2 reveal trailers is in anime style, I think it will be a obvious who just got in without even showing his face yet haha.
Well, there are other JRPGs besides Tales that could use the anime style like Ys, but fair point

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
A little more details on the Tales Of Destiny rumor that.

Supposedly slated for an April-June 2022 release date.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I am all down for more Tales Of ports, but that's the last person I would believe it from, lol.
Yeah, I don't know the full story, but I've hear they aren't the most credible "leaker" out there. Well, that and I'm just really hesitant about buying into leakers in general.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Dark Souls II 👀

Apparently Bandai Namco still cares about Dark Souls on the Switch. I don't fully trust LeakyPandy, but they did get at least one thing right recently. They called a DQ12 reveal in a showcase before E3, and then a week later it was announced by Square.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So I thought I'd narrow down my most-wanted fighters to just 3 now that we're approaching the end of Smash Ultimate's DLC. Unfortunately, I don't think Yuri Lowell, Shantae and Spyro are very likely to get into the game at this point, so I decided to go with just 3 characters now. One is a more personal want, while the other 2 are characters I like, who also have a good shot of getting in to Ultimate, I feel. And they are:

Crash Bandicoot
Lloyd Irving
Ryu Hayabusa
👍👍

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
So I thought I'd narrow down my most-wanted fighters to just 3 now that we're approaching the end of Smash Ultimate's DLC. Unfortunately, I don't think Yuri Lowell, Shantae and Spyro are very likely to get into the game at this point, so I decided to go with just 3 characters now. One is a more personal want, while the other 2 are characters I like, who also have a good shot of getting in to Ultimate, I feel. And they are:

Crash Bandicoot
Lloyd Irving
Ryu Hayabusa
👍👍
Why change the list of characters you want to your predictions list? You can still want Yuri and Shantae and Spyro even if you don't think they're likely to get in

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Why change the list of characters you want to your predictions list? You can still want Yuri and Shantae and Spyro even if you don't think they're likely to get in
Mostly, I didn't want to divide my time between a lot of forums at the same time anymore. Up until a while ago I was following the pages of Crash, Ryu, Lloyd, Shantae, Yuri, Spyro, plus other pages for characters I gave up on a while ago all at once, and I was just starting to get a little burned out from trying to follow the speculation circles around all of them. So I decided to go with just Crash, Ryu and Lloyd as a way to not only follow who I feel are the most likely characters coming, but also to not strain myself so much. If that makes sense...

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Then why is Katamari in his taunt?
It probably wasn't that hard to make a sprite for Katamari, to be fair. Also Katamari's remaster came out the same day as Smash Ultimate (Dec. 7th, 2018), so maybe the Prince of All Cosmos was added to Namco Roulette to promote or reference that game.

That said, I do find it funny that both Gil and Heihachi, 2 of the 3 Mii costumes from Smash 4, are a part of Namco Roulette in Smash Ultimate, while the 3rd one, Lloyd, is nowhere to be found anywhere in the game even today. It really makes me wonder...

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

Crash Bandicoot
Lloyd Irving
Ryu Hayabusa
👍👍
Disregard this message guys, I've decided to change my mind on only supporting 3 characters for Ultimate. I don't know what's wrong with me lately, but I've been feeling pretty indecisive about things in regards to Smash speculation. I apologize for the trouble.

Oh, and, sorry for double-posting.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's more of the fact that the Prince from Katamari had an existing sprite to use for that purpose. The closest equivalent Lloyd has is maybe his sprite from Nakiri Dungeon (GBA crossover game)? Not really the same kind of bit-age as the rest though.
View attachment 316520
To be fair, we also have Don-Chan's high-quality sprite just vibin' there
1621992193236.png

There's also the rather detailed Andor Genesis as well
1621992216549.png

I feel like not being simplistic and 8-bit shouldn't be too much of an issue when there's already sprites that go against that

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
To be fair, we also have Don-Chan's high-quality sprite just vibin' there
View attachment 316523
There's also the rather detailed Andor Genesis as well
View attachment 316524

I feel like not being simplistic and 8-bit shouldn't be too much of an issue when there's already sprites that go against that
In that case, it makes me wonder why Lloyd wasn't a part of Namco Roulette from the beginning. I know they're all from Namco arcade games and Lloyd is a JRPG character, but still.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In that case, it makes me wonder why Lloyd wasn't a part of Namco Roulette from the beginning. I know they're all from Namco arcade games and Lloyd is a JRPG character, but still.
Yeah, even if Lloyd isn't in the pipeline, it's still a noticeable oddity, especially since Tales is the only third-party Mii series to not have any representation in SSBU. You could say it's just for arcade characters, but Katamari Demacy didn't originate as one (Nor did Valkyrie, for that matter, but apparently the arcade games are more well-known). You could point to the lack of simplistic 8-bit sprite, but there's a couple sprites in there that don't fit that bill either. I'm kinda hoping Sakurai releases a big book of all his thought processes and decisions regarding SSBU so we can find answers for stuff like this.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah, even if Lloyd isn't in the pipeline, it's still a noticeable oddity, especially since Tales is the only third-party Mii series to not have any representation in SSBU. You could say it's just for arcade characters, but Katamari Demacy didn't originate as one (Nor did Valkyrie, for that matter, but apparently the arcade games are more well-known). You could point to the lack of simplistic 8-bit sprite, but there's a couple sprites in there that don't fit that bill either. I'm kinda hoping Sakurai releases a big book of all his thought processes and decisions regarding SSBU so we can find answers for stuff like this.
Maybe he could do that. Especially if he's considering an early retirement like he stated in his Famitsu article this week once Fighter Pass 2 finishes up. He also said that he's going to stop writing his weekly Famitsu articles some time this year after 18 years too.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Maybe he could do that. Especially if he's considering an early retirement like he stated in his Famitsu article this week once Fighter Pass 2 finishes up. He also said that he's going to stop writing his weekly Famitsu articles some time this year after 18 years too.
He actually didn't say he was planning an early retirement. That was a result of an incomplete translation

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
He actually didn't say he was planning an early retirement. That was a result of an incomplete translation
This is why I don't rely on pushdustin's translations, they are 90% of the times incomplete or inaccurate until a few more hours or a day or so.

But yeah, hopefully people can just move on from thinking we are getting more DLC. Sakurai already said for a second time we weren't getting more during the Pyra's presentation, that alone being so recent should've been sign enough of them not changing their minds this time. This is it. People just need to learn to accept we can't all be pleased and we just gotta be grateful at the massive milestone of a game that this man has delivered to us. I honestly would like to see what else he has in store for us in the future, specially if it's not just Smash.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Mistranslation or not. If Sakurai's really gonna stop writing his Famitsu columns after 18 years, then that might be sign that he may actually be getting close to hanging it up soon.

This is why I don't rely on pushdustin's translations, they are 90% of the times incomplete or inaccurate until a few more hours or a day or so.

But yeah, hopefully people can just move on from thinking we are getting more DLC. Sakurai already said for a second time we weren't getting more during the Pyra's presentation, that alone being so recent should've been sign enough of them not changing their minds this time. This is it. People just need to learn to accept we can't all be pleased and we just gotta be grateful at the massive milestone of a game that this man has delivered to us. I honestly would like to see what else he has in store for us in the future, specially if it's not just Smash.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai has said Fighters Pass Vo. 2 would be it for Ultimate DLC a lot more than just twice, but I agree nonetheless. Smash fans just don't wanna hear it unfortunately.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Mistranslation or not. If Sakurai's really gonna stop writing his Famitsu columns after 18 years, then that might be sign that he may actually be getting close to hanging it up soon.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai has said Fighters Pass Vo. 2 would be it for Ultimate DLC a lot more than just twice, but I agree nonetheless. Smash fans just don't wanna hear it unfortunately.
Yeah that's what I meant with the Pyra time he said it, that was his second time saying this was the last DLC. I'm satisfied with a bunch of things we already got, I just hope 2nd pass is worth more than just ONE character for me, because so far I have only got excited for one haha (sephy).

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah that's what I meant with the Pyra time he said it, that was his second time saying this was the last DLC. I'm satisfied with a bunch of things we already got, I just hope 2nd pass is worth more than just ONE character for me, because so far I have only got excited for one haha (sephy).
As far as the DLC characters go, for me anyway, I loved all of Fighter Pass 1. Banjo, Joker and Byleth in particular were the highlights of FP1, with Hero and Terry being really cool too.

Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra have been the highlights of Fighter Pass 2, and even though ARMS and Minecraft don't really appeal to me, I'm not against Min Min and Steve being a part of FP2.

Piranha Plant is the only DLC character (and the only character in Ultimate really) that I'm not fond of.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
As far as the DLC characters go, for me anyway, I loved all of Fighter Pass 1. Banjo, Joker and Byleth in particular were the highlights of FP1, with Hero and Terry being really cool too.

Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra have been the highlights of Fighter Pass 2, and even though ARMS and Minecraft don't really appeal to me, I'm not against Min Min and Steve being a part of FP2.

Piranha Plant is the only DLC character (and the only character in Ultimate really) that I'm not fond of.
Pass 1 was pretty good indeed, it was a 4/5 for me.
As much as I'm not into XC2 ( I like shulk's game better ), I like what we got with Pyra, but nothing that drove me happy nuts like Sephiroth did.

Yeah PP is definitely the most forgettable one lol, it wasn't even a high budget reveal by any means

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Pass 1 was pretty good indeed, it was a 4/5 for me.
As much as I'm not into XC2 ( I like shulk's game better ), I like what we got with Pyra, but nothing that drove me happy nuts like Sephiroth did.

Yeah PP is definitely the most forgettable one lol, it wasn't even a high budget reveal by any means
In fairness, at least Piranha Plant was free (via certain means anyway). So even though I'm not a fan of Plant, I can't be too upset since it didn't cost me anything to get it.

Getting back to Lloyd though. We're coming up on almost exactly 3 months since Pyra/Mythra released. June 4th will be next Friday. I gotta say, after Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra came out so close after Steve and to one another (2 months, the same as most of Fighter Pass 1), I could've sworn that Challenger 10 woulld've been shown off earlier this month. But here we are, almost 3 months since Pyra came out and no sign of Challenger 10 yet. It makes me wonder if the next character is more of complex one to make, or if maybe they're working on more than one at the same time?

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda hoping for the latter option, as it's making me hopeful that my original prediction of getting BOTH Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell could actually happen 👍

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Here’s to hoping for Lloyd as one of the last two! Another bonus fighter at most could happen (though wouldn’t get my hopes up), but not a fighter pass 3 which I’m glad he reiterated on. Gotta close the book at some point.

Top Bottom