• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I recently finished my latest for smash episode and this time its featuring Llyod. This videos got all my memories of speculation from the Brawl and Smash 4 days up until now. I really hope his Mii Costume missing is a good sign for the future!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3tLbLohtyE
This is very nostalgic, I never was fully part of the speculation fandom back then but i do remember reading some of the theories and such like in there. Hopefully the ride was all worth it, altho I guess there's always a next time if it doesn't come to be now.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If he gets in, it would be funny if the trailer notes him being the very last 3rd party mii.
He sees the other characters becoming miis, and gets frightened of him being like them too.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I would like Lloyd's trailer to be animated like Palutena's Trailer. I think Lloyd getting an animated trailer would fit well.
Yeah I feel it would be meant to be. After all, every dlc character reveal trailer we've gotten have been in styles of their games, except for the pass sellers (steve banjo sephiroth hero) who were CGI smash type of trailers instead.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I feel it would be meant to be. After all, every dlc character reveal trailer we've gotten have been in styles of their games, except for the pass sellers (steve banjo sephiroth hero) who were CGI smash type of trailers instead.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you did just name nearly half the Fighter Pass roster revealed so far. If which characters got Ultimate-style CG trailers was based on which ones would sell people on each pass, Joker absolutely would have gotten one. I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of the creative direction the people making the trailers want to go, what elements from the characters' home series they're allowed to use (looking at you, Sephiroth), things like that.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you did just name nearly half the Fighter Pass roster revealed so far. If which characters got Ultimate-style CG trailers was based on which ones would sell people on each pass, Joker absolutely would have gotten one. I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of the creative direction the people making the trailers want to go, what elements from the characters' home series they're allowed to use (looking at you, Sephiroth), things like that.
Joker had P5 style on his reveal at TGA
Neither Hero or Banjo (pass 1 sellers) had reveals in their origin games styles, they were full smash cgi trailers
Terry was SNK retro games style
Byleth was FE3H style
Min Min was Arms comic-ish style
Sephiroth and Steve same deal as hero and banjo
Pyra was in XC2 style

I'm just telling how it went and how it's mostly common for games to use styles themed behind their origin games and such, except for the usual pair that were the biggest hits of the pass. Joker I don't really count that high, he definitely was a nice starting sales push tho. Every trailer has obviously been a matter of creative direction, and the direction of the rest of dlc fighters has been specifically themed behind their games styles so far.

Lloyd's trailer would 99% be anime style like Palutena was imo, and I think many would agree

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
If that's the case, which characters do you think will be battling against Lloyd?
Well if we want him to fight swordsmen then I'm pretty sure :ultlink: and:ultshulk:and some Fire Emblem characters could fight him. :ultcloud: and :ulthero:too.

If Lloyd has to fight villains then :ultganondorf: and :ultbowser: would fit well.

Actually now that I think about it having Lloyd fight :ultpit: and/or :ultdarkpit:would make a lot of sense.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's not a matter of the art style that decides which characters would appear. That's its own separate decision.

But yeah angels would make sense. It would be funny if it was a follow up of Palutena's trailer haha. Sephiroth could be there too maybe, he looks a like Mithos in a way. Or it can be something totally different for the anime trailer, they can get creative as usual, i just want a trailer like that again haha

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Sephiroth is a Square Enix character, no way they'll allow him to be in another character's CG trailer. As awesome and fitting as it would be for them to throw down.

LLoyd vs Galeem would be similarly fitting- OOOOH that could be the end of his classic mode

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
LLoyd vs Galeem would be similarly fitting-
That's the reason why I froze during the Sephiroth trailer. When I saw Galeem being slashed by a single sword hit, I immediatly thought of Lloyd with the eternal sword. But the first seconds of One Winged Angel took my brain by surprise.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
What're the odds of getting BOTH Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell as a 2-For-1 deal for one of the remaining Challenger Packs? I ask because I now can't choose between one or the other as the potential Tales rep, and there's no way the two can share a slot since they're playstyles are so different. So, maybe they could both be added alongside a Tales stage and music and spirits from both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia?

I wouldn't mind 😊

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What're the odds of getting BOTH Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell as a 2-For-1 deal for one of the remaining Challenger Packs? I ask because I now can't choose between one or the other as the potential Tales rep, and there's no way the two can share a slot since they're playstyles are so different. so, maybe they could both be added alongside a Tales stage and music from both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia?

I wouldn't mind?
If it makes both sides happy then by all means, add both. I sure wouldnt be opposed to it. I get my Yuri. You guys get your Lloyd, everyones happy

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
If it makes both sides happy then by all means, add both. I sure wouldnt be opposed to it. I get my Yuri. You guys get your Lloyd, everyones happy
Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia I feel like are equally awesome games (well, from what I've seen of them...) with equally likable casts of characters, and I think both Lloyd and Yuri are the frontrunners for Tales of representation in Smash. I hope that the 5chan leak from a couple years ago that had them listed as potential candidates for base game, and the 40 character leak from 2019, leads to their reveal. Whether it's both Lloyd and Yuri, Lloyd coming with a Yuri Mii costume, or Yuri coming with the Lloyd Mii costume, I think it would be cool for Tales of to finally get a fighter in Smash Ultimate, and I think Bandai Namco has earned a 2nd character (or a 3rd) at this point too.

Last edited:

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
What're the odds of getting BOTH Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell as a 2-For-1 deal for one of the remaining Challenger Packs? I ask because I now can't choose between one or the other as the potential Tales rep, and there's no way the two can share a slot since they're playstyles are so different. So, maybe they could both be added alongside a Tales stage and music and spirits from both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia?

I wouldn't mind 😊
If it was anyone but Sakurai we were talking about, I'd say the odds are zero. As it is, I'm going with slim.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The odds? I definitely don't see that happening honestly. Sounds very unlikely to me just to think about it 😅 and honestly I don't expect two more jrpg characters, just one , so it's 3 in pass 1 and 3 in pass 2. I feel almost certain we are getting one more because it's either Lloyd or whoever brings Lloyd with him as a mii costume as a jrpg theme, considering Heihachii came with Min Min as a fighting game one and Gil came with Steve as a… dungeon or sword shield reference? i dunno which one, but that lol.

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
It would be awesome to have both Lloyd and Yuri in Smash as One Challenger pack would be awesome.
Simply Amazing Tales fans get 2 wins from that type of deal. How likely is it? Well it's higher than my dream of Superman in smash 😔.
Regardless all we can do for now is wait to see the fate of Lloyd in Smash. We are going to get Lloyd in smash but we must wait to see if he is a fighter or mii fighter. I hope he is a Fighter.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Tales of Arise finally has a release date. September 10th.

Gameplay looks really good, specially from that snowy area segment. Loving those smooth overworld to battle transitions!

Honestly that's an awfully convenient date for when FP11 could be releasing (either after or before then) if you ask me, lol. Terry came on September and Steve on October (Steve probably would've been September as well if he didn't require reworking on over 300 damn stages, lol).

Wouldn't mind a Tales Of rep to come around close to the date like Hero did, and in this case with a mii costume of the Arise protagonist to promote the new game :iwatanod:

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Tales of Arise finally has a release date. September 10th.

Gameplay looks really good, specially from that snowy area segment. Loving those smooth overworld to battle transitions!

Honestly that's an awfully convenient date for when FP11 could be releasing (either after or before then) if you ask me, lol. Terry came on September and Steve on October (Steve probably would've been September as well if he didn't require reworking on over 300 damn stages, lol).

Wouldn't mind a Tales Of rep to come around close to the date like Hero did, and in this case with a mii costume of the Arise protagonist to promote the new game :iwatanod:
And Sakurai doesn't believe in console wars at all so it wouldn't be problem if he cross promoted a game. He did it with Persona 5.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And Sakurai doesn't believe in console wars at all so it wouldn't be problem if he cross promoted a game. He did it with Persona 5.
It should be noted that Persona 5 had released a year or two prior, though. Arise's launch would only be a couple months apart from CP11, and we haven't had a promotional character cut it that close since Roy, who was a quick clone in a much less structured time. A Mii Costume or two, maybe, but I'm hesitant regarding a full-on fighter.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Or Banjo for that matter. He specifically invited people to play the Banjo games on Xbox with that one, lol. Bamco benefits from any Tales inclusion in the end as well, if we get a Tales rep.

We also didn't have FF7 when Cloud came in until much later. and Sephiroth joining in the same year of the Remake (which isn't on switch) is also a thing.

There is simply no need for anything to be on switch as a requirement for an inclusion, lol.

It could still be Lloyd, and we get a mii costume of the Arise protag. Or maybe not even anything from Arise. This year is celebrating the whole Tales series anniversary, that's honestly something I see them focusing more with a Tales rep inclusion honestly. If they promote Arise with a mii costume that's just a bonus.

Last edited:

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Persona 5 Strikers was also already planned to Switch at the moment of Joker reveal.
Terry and the others have also their release coincide with other releases on Switch, with only Sephiroth and Banjo being the exceptions (Sephiroth being released around Christmas and being a massive popular character, so its no wonder why they did this, and Banjo is still a dead or dormant licence so not a serious threat).

Sakurai can't decide to screw up Nintendo sales just because he wants a character.
I'm still very concerned by the fact Tales of Arise is being announced for every system but not for the Switch. It would be a game and console seller for PS5. I don't see Nintendo making free promotion for such a big contender with nothing in return. Since the announce of ToArise, it's the bigger issue in Lloyd's regard imo.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been meaning to ask, has Kosuke's license been needed very much for Lloyd's appearances in the past? He's listed in the trademarks for Lloyd's Smash 4 Mii, which no other Mii has. Thought I'd check in to see if he's needed to be credited for any other cameos, like, for instance, Soulcalibur, or even any other Tales games beyond Symphonia.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Smash Cadet
I've been meaning to ask, has Kosuke's license been needed very much for Lloyd's appearances in the past? He's listed in the trademarks for Lloyd's Smash 4 Mii, which no other Mii has. Thought I'd check in to see if he's needed to be credited for any other cameos, like, for instance, Soulcalibur, or even any other Tales games beyond Symphonia.
He was indeed credited in Soul Calibur Legends's credits.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I really hope we get an announcement for Challenger Pack 10 some time in the next couple weeks... my prediction for the next pack is a 2-in-1 deal for Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell, and music tracks and spirits from both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia.

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I really hope we get an announcement for Challenger Pack 10 some time in the next couple weeks... my prediction for the next pack is a 2-in-1 deal for Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell, and music tracks and spirits from both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia.
E3 is probably our best bet. Even if it is a long way off.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I know this is a Lloyd Irving thread but seeing as Nintendo are the one to request a character choice, it's not out of the question for the Tales of Arise character to be the fighter.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know this is a Lloyd Irving thread but seeing as Nintendo are the one to request a character choice, it's not out of the question for the Tales of Arise character to be the fighter.
I kinda doubt we'd get someone from a game so far off. The four promo picks we've gotten so far - Greninja, Corrin, Incineroar, Byleth - Each had about half a year to a full year between their game's release and their addition to Smash. Even Corrin, who was meant to push Fates in the West, had time to cement themselves in Japan, so they weren't a complete unknown.

Arise would be releasing around the time FP2 ends, and I don't see Nintendo cutting it that close with a promo pick, especially not for a game that's not even on their systems. Chances are they'd go for Lloyd or Yuri instead.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I kinda doubt we'd get someone from a game so far off. The four promo picks we've gotten so far - Greninja, Corrin, Incineroar, Byleth - Each had about half a year to a full year between their game's release and their addition to Smash. Even Corrin, who was meant to push Fates in the West, had time to cement themselves in Japan, so they weren't a complete unknown.

Arise would be releasing around the time FP2 ends, and I don't see Nintendo cutting it that close with a promo pick, especially not for a game that's not even on their systems. Chances are they'd go for Lloyd or Yuri instead.
Plus they know for sure how well Lloyd would work in terms of sales. ToS has been their Tales game to go for many crossovers, even as of late. Yuri being the potential realistic curveball. Bamco would want to make sure their character sells by being known, I feel.

P.S.: I think Stahn would be the other curveball for getting a fighter honestly, aside from Yuri. Tales of Destiny is seriously high up there in terms of sales and popularity in Japan specifically

Honestly I'm gonna be happy as long as we get proper Tales representation with a fighter, songs, spirits, etc. A returning mii costume alone won't cut it, when FF and DQ now have plenty of content themselves. Let the whole big 3 JRPGs of Japan be properly represented in Ultimate I say. And I find hard to believe that Bamco would let this anniversary pass without putting anything beyond a mii costume in Smash, like come on… they are working on the damn game, they wouldn't miss this chance.

Last edited:

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Sora would be a more likely announcement than that, and his chances are just about nil.

What you're talking about would mean either:
-using multiple character slots, which is flat out not happening
-making them costume swaps like the DQ Heroes, which wouldn't be fair to either with their distinct fighting styles

-having them use Pokemon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra's swap-in mechanic, which wouldn't make any sense since they're different people in different stories

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well... Enthusiasm's preferable to pessimism, at least...

The thing is that FP1's announcement stated that it would include one fighter, one stage, and multiple music tracks, and so far every pack has followed that formula. The one possible exception is Pyra and Mythra, but even they they share a slot and are always listed as Pyra/Mythra rather than naming them separately. Given what we know, I'm not sure if a two-in-one pack is really likely.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well... Enthusiasm's preferable to pessimism, at least...

The thing is that FP1's announcement stated that it would include one fighter, one stage, and multiple music tracks, and so far every pack has followed that formula. The one possible exception is Pyra and Mythra, but even they they share a slot and are always listed as Pyra/Mythra rather than naming them separately. Given what we know, I'm not sure if a two-in-one pack is really likely.
I know you're right. And going by Xenoblade Chronicles 2 canon, Pyra and Mythra are 2 personalities within the Aegis, aka Pneuma, so they're technically one character (at least until the end of the game). But the reason why that's my prediction is... I just can't pick between whether or not I want one or the other more. So even though I know it's probably not going to happen, I want to remain optimistic about both Lloyd or Yuri getting in... even though it's more likely that Lloyd's Mii costume will come back with Yuri, or Lloyd is upgraded to fully playable and he comes with a Yuri Mii costume.

It's honestly the one exception I prefer to the rules.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Sora would be a more likely announcement than that, and his chances are just about nil.

What you're talking about would mean either:
-using multiple character slots, which is flat out not happening
-making them costume swaps like the DQ Heroes, which wouldn't be fair to either with their distinct fighting styles

-having them use Pokemon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra's swap-in mechanic, which wouldn't make any sense since they're different people in different stories
Yeah, I know... but I honestly can't choose between Lloyd or Yuri, so I kinda want to root for both getting in, even if it's unlikely. If one gets in, and they come with a Mii costume of the other, I can still be happy about that.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know... but I honestly can't choose between Lloyd or Yuri, so I kinda want to root for both getting in, even if it's unlikely. If one gets in, and they come with a Mii costume of the other, I can still be happy about that.
Same. I root for proper Tales representation at this point, whoever they choose won't be a wrong choice anyway.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think I've played every Tales game since Symphonia came out except Berseria, which I've been meaning to start, and I agree with Nazyrus, I don't think they could make a bad pick. Even games I didn't like as much like Xillia 2 (not to be confused with Xillia 1, which I did like a lot), has memorable characters.

It's an interesting predicament I find myself in, because I love Tales games, but I really want to see Taiko no Tatsujin representation too, and both being a Bandai Namco series, I'm torn, hah. Hopefully we'll get one or the other though as one of the remaining packs.

Top Bottom