• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice

I guess the "sword fighter" issue is actually not an issue, as long as Nintendo think the characters of the FP will sell and has a fanbase.

Since Byleth's release, I was afraid that sakurai truly acknowledges the "too many swordfighters" argument and strived to not implement too many of them. But Sephiroth and MyRa prove that if Nintendo want more swordies, such complaints wouldn't change anything.

Good news for Lloyd I guess. Pyra and Mythra don't hinder his chance as much as some people would think.

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice

I guess the "sword fighter" issue is actually not an issue, as long as Nintendo think the characters of the FP will sell and has a fanbase.

Since Byleth's release, I was afraid that sakurai truly acknowledges the "too many swordfighters" argument and strived to not implement too many of them. But Sephiroth and MyRa prove that if Nintendo want more swordies, such complaints wouldn't change anything.

Good news for Lloyd I guess. Pyra and Mythra don't hinder his chance as much as some people would think.
I always found that "Too many swordfighters" argument ridiculous. Should we tell Nintendo to stop putting in Cartoony Brawlers or Gunners? The answer is no and that's the same answer for swordfighters. As long as the character is fun who honestly cares.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I always found that "Too many swordfighters" argument ridiculous. Should we tell Nintendo to stop putting in Cartoony Brawlers or Gunners? The answer is no and that's the same answer for swordfighters. As long as the character is fun who honestly cares.
Yeah, it's also more ridiculous when a good chunk of video game characters wield swords as their weapon of choice. Nintendo isn't seriously going to turn away several possible fighters just because of the weapon they use. I always found that the "too many swordfighters" complaint ended up as another way to say that people don't like fighting against characters with disjoints. Because at the end of the day, an axe user or a spear wielder would probably play very similarly to a swordfighter. Look at Byleth for example. Replace the spear and axe with a big sword, but keep the same animations and it would still look relatively normal.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Yeah there is no such thing as a too many anime swordsmen issue.

The real issue is simple: Too many fire emblem characters (and within that issue there is another one: fire emblem weapon system being poorly represented), making it NEARLY half of the swordsmen just one IP, then we have 3 Links which are techinically the same character regardless of the movesets, which aren't that much different to each other anyway. The ISSUE is that we have a lack of franchise variety with the amount of swordsmen within that role.

Too many of them? Not such thing. Swordsmen barely are only 1/4 of the total roster currently, lol. If we say the total roster is 81 (yes I will ALWAYS count Pyra as one, you paid for only one character and they share the SAME slot since they are 2 characters in 1 moveset, not one character and an echo situation), and the remaining 2 aren't swordsmen, it might even be under 1/4th of the total roster then.

Either way, the amount of swordsmen in total is barely anything against the rest of the total roster, so people don't know what they are saying when they complain.

Here is an image highlighting the actual amount of swordsmen we got

I don't count Steve because he is not mainly a sword user, he just has his sword as one of his many moves which the majority aren't sword related. I don't count Joker either because of a damn dagger, that's not an actual sword, it's a different type of blade.

SO…

Byleth, Robin, Lucina, Chrom, Roy, Marth, Corrin, Ike = 8 out of 20 swordsmen are ONE franchise

Then 3 out of those 20 are Links…

This leaves only 9 sword users left being from different series (or you could say 8 rather, if you don't want to count Dark Pit since he from the same series as Pit )

The real problem is pretty clear to me, but apparently people out there can't word it properly or refuse to wash their eyes and see what's actually going on here, ending in misdirected whining and ignoring the real problems in the representations we've gotten.

The reason Nintendo doesn't give a damn about what people are complaining lately it's because Nintendo actually knows how to count. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is told to rub it off everyone's faces in the end of the game saying how many swordsmen we actually got vs the rest of the roster, lol. He actually should do that, so ppl just shut up already.

Last edited:

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Hey, don't make me say things.

We are a lot of people agreeing that this "issue" is utterly BS.
I'm always arguing in the french forums/FB why this "issue" is ridiculous, mainly by reminding people how many video game character wield a sword, and shutting down their chances and limiting their fun potential just because of their primary weapon is one of the stupidest idea. I was especially mad when the forums of Jeuvidéos.com (biggest VG forums in Europe) start bashing Isaac for Smash because he would be one more generic anime swordy.

I was so happy when Sakurai respond to this complaint after Robin or Shulk release by saying that, no matter what the character is using to fight, the most important is that the character is fun and unique.

But when Sakurai begin to backpedal by giving Byleth a non natural and a false gimmicking moveset (Byleth can't use the true power of the mains relics in FE3H, and lot of his moves would have functionned with his whipsword, he's also an expert of white magic and a natural gauntlet user), making Sothis acknowledge the "too many swordfighters" AND then, Sakurai acknowledging himself in a interview that he agrees there was too many swordies...
I had decent reasons for worrying. It's a common fact that fanbase can ruin some of their favorite thing because of too many stupids demands or complaints.

We all know that Sakurai like to please its fanbase, so sometimes, I have the feeling if Nintendo wasn't here, Sephiroth would have been the only sword character to make it to the DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We all know that Sakurai like to please its fanbase, so sometimes, I have the feeling if Nintendo wasn't here, Sephiroth would have been the only sword character to make it to the DLC.
I think the opposite, actually, as the community at large has a lot of swordfighter requests. "Another anime swordfighter" is really "another Fire Emblem character" wearing a fake mustache, and even then it's mostly BS since a lot of people still wanted Black Knight and Lyn. At the end of the day, people are just tired of the Marth clones and that's really it - obviously it rubs people the wrong way to get a character like Corrin after a whole worldwide ballot was launched to determine future characters and after only a few months they claim that Corrin was one of the fan picks without any hard evidence.

Regardless, without Nintendo in the way making picks to sell their back catalogue, Lloyd would have more than likely already been in the first wave of DLC. He's been a fan choice since the Brawl days and Sakurai has treated him like the most viable Tales Of rep for Smash. I've been a big fan of him on design alone ever since the build up to Brawl and now here we are.

I'm pulling for the boy, Lloydfriends, but it's quite hard to believe in him. Here's to a day some fan dreams get to come true again.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Probably very late to the party here, but I've been as appalled as most have been how just long Lloyd has held on to this point. Truly a recurring war veteran of Mii Costume Slaughters by the end of this Pass's run, no doubt. :colorful:

I've been wondering if to still pursue being the new thread runner with Mistah BlueNeuron still MIA so long, but am hunching that I'm tad too inactive around Smashboards these days due lack of personal investment on speculation and some cynical woes preventing me to try pushing too enthutiastically on Lloyd as an end-game.

Mostly this has been due how I've more torn on the abundance of 3rd Parties in Smash-series as DLC over these years, forcing me put some of my older first-party wishes from almost decade back now to indefinite "no-hopers"-list compared to 3rd Parties due how the landscape of speculation and direction of "celebration" has shifted, leaving me more disillusioned with Smash-franchise having strayed too far away from Nintendo-centric celebration aside from somewhat promotional picks from Nintendo driving these first parties to front. I guess in that sense, along with how I'm not feeling overly keen on watching Smash-fandom twist Lloyd or his source material to their own whims to something I can hardly recognize at all, has made me feel actually more receptive on looking forward to Lloyd over time.

However, I've seen more active and more enthusiastic Lloyd-supporters here that could make for more suitable thread runners, so I'm currently wondering who out of you all would want to run the thread with your own OP - as I'd have to do a lot of catch-up myself due not having been exactly involved with Tales Of-series for who knows how long after all these years since late decade's half.

Now again, this all depends on if anyone here feels like wanting to take over the thread due technically not having an active thread runner for more than 2 years now? :drohmy:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Probably very late to the party here, but I've been as appalled as most have been how just long Lloyd has held on to this point. Truly a recurring war veteran of Mii Costume Slaughters by the end of this Pass's run, no doubt. :colorful:

I've been wondering if to still pursue being the new thread runner with Mistah BlueNeuron still MIA so long, but am hunching that I'm tad too inactive around Smashboards these days due lack of personal investment on speculation and some cynical woes preventing me to try pushing too enthutiastically on Lloyd as an end-game.

Mostly this has been due how I've more torn on the abundance of 3rd Parties in Smash-series as DLC over these years, forcing me put some of my older first-party wishes from almost decade back now to indefinite "no-hopers"-list compared to 3rd Parties due how the landscape of speculation and direction of "celebration" has shifted, leaving me more disillusioned with Smash-franchise having strayed too far away from Nintendo-centric celebration aside from somewhat promotional picks from Nintendo driving these first parties to front. I guess in that sense, along with how I'm not feeling overly keen on watching Smash-fandom twist Lloyd or his source material to their own whims to something I can hardly recognize at all, has made me feel actually more receptive on looking forward to Lloyd over time.

However, I've seen more active and more enthusiastic Lloyd-supporters here that could make for more suitable thread runners, so I'm currently wondering who out of you all would want to run the thread with your own OP - as I'd have to do a lot of catch-up myself due not having been exactly involved with Tales Of-series for who knows how long after all these years since late decade's half.

Now again, this all depends on if anyone here feels like wanting to take over the thread due technically not having an active thread runner for more than 2 years now? :drohmy:
I was wondering why I wasn't added to Supporters...Now I know why and I feel dumb lol.

As for taking over the thread. I'm not sure I'll have to think about it. This thread has a legacy not sure how to approach it.

widu0746

Smash Rookie
Interview on why rex was left out of smash ultimate - I found this is really telling that even though rex was announced as a Mii costume they still tried to include rex as a fighter but it proved too difficult to try and implement the Xenoblade chronicles style mechanic into smash. ultimately was decided to just have mythra / pyra. I believe this gives us hope that even though Lloyds mii costume will return he still has a chance to be a fighter as well.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Lloyd's fate will almost certainly be revealed with FP10's reveal. The only thing we can do now is wait and see what happens next
The Journey of World Regeneration continues..When will it end? No one knows except the people at Nintendo. I like to think Lloyd is incredibly likely but he has a lot of competition even from his own franchise. I still have a lot of Faith in Lloyd however.

Last edited:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Hey! I come from the KOS-MOS thread but I just wanted to stop by to applaud you folks on Lloyd surviving this long! Although I wanted KOS-MOS, I don't think she's coming to Ultimate after the Aegis (though I'm still VERY pleased to see another Monolith character.) which is pretty sad, but my desire for ANYTHING Namco related remains in tact. And the only other candidate I see fit for that is either Lloyd himself, or some other Tales character like Yuri.

Something that surprised me during the recent presentation was how Rex nearly broke the mii costume curse, but was dropped due to the complex design of the Driver/Blade mechanic from Xenoblade 2. And Lloyd is the last mii costume left from smash 4 who can break that rule now.

Either way, my faith in Lloyd has increased by a lot, and In the event he does get in, I just want to congratulate you peeps for that, and to not let that stupid "another anime swordie" complaint get to you guys and affect your appreciation for the character.

That being said, there's enough precedent set that returning smash 4 DLC mii costumes will not be promoted (Heihachi, Geno, and now Monster Hunter.) so watch out and expect the worst. Lloyd's fate is almost guaranteed for the next mii costume wave unless some company like Capcom feels like shilling LOL.

...Unless...?

Last edited:

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Huh interresting, Lloyd got Third on the popularity poll of the Tales of Festival. And Yuri got second, not first.

(english subtitles available by the way, that's really cool)

I often read here and there some argument which can be sum up by "Lloyd is not popular among tales of fans, he's only pushed forward by the boomer Smash fans that still think ToS is still popular nowadays"

This video proves that Lloyd is still a very popular character, so is ToS, especially in occident. And even if the Tales of festival got way more votes from outside Japan, it's still a japanese event, so Lloyd and Symphonia could even get a better ranking.

Combined with the popularity and achievement of ToS oversea and it's history with Nintendo, I really don't see Yuri being chosen over Lloyd for Smash.

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Huh interresting, Lloyd got Third on the popularity poll of the Tales of Festival. And Yuri got second, not first.

I often read here and there some argument which can be sum up by "Lloyd is not popular among tales of fans, he's only pushed forward by the boomer Smash fans that still think ToS is still popular nowadays"

This video proves that Lloyd is still a very popular character, so is ToS, especially in occident. And even if the Tales of festival got way more votes from outside Japan, it's still a japanese event, so Lloyd and Symphonia could even get a better ranking.

Combined with the popularity and achievement of ToS oversea and it's history with Nintendo, I really don't see Yuri being chosen over Lloyd for Smash.
I wouldn't count Yuri out but this is pretty interesting. Lloyd has a much better chance of getting in than most people realize.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

I do wonder if speculation for him in Ultimate was the factor that caused him to skyrocket in the poll.

Last edited:

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Luke got the first place? Interesting. Was he popular?
Actually, every time I ask or see discussion about favorite Tales character, I always see Luke's name coming up. In my case, I wasn't surprise. If we ask me to bet for a character who could top Yuri's popularity, I would have said Luke hand's down. Also, he's my favorite protagonist of Tales of. I still prefer Zelos from ToS or Alvin from ToX, but as a protagonist, Luke always was my favorite.

I do wonder if speculation for him in Ultimate was the factor that caused him to skyrocket in the poll.
If we believe the two japanese casters, Lloyd popularity was pushed by western votes due to the amazing popularity of Tales of Symphonia in the west. For Japanese people, Lloyd is probably a Tales protagonist like any others, but for western audience, Lloyd is to Tales of what Cloud is to Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
And Lloyd will always remain THE nintendo Tales of character, no popularity contest has changed that and never will, it's a game that even got a sequel on nintendo, a crossover with soul calibur, and lloyd remains the character from tales that nintendo only players remember the most. It's why Sakurai said something along the lines of "who else?", which really is Nintendo speaking in that situation, since they are the ones that choose, not him. Nintendo knows which Tales character would get the better reaction within the pure Nintendo fandom.

Last edited:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
So another interesting thing to add on. This is the Tales of Villain popularity poll and the character who won second place is
Mithos
the Main Villain from Tales of Symphonia. More evidence to prove that Lloyd and Symphonia in general is actually pretty popular in the Tales Community!!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

This is where I am at with Lloyd. The dread of every reveal potentially being the one that has his Mii costume has made my breath pause whenever the Mii costumes come up. I mean, I still have hope. But god, if Lloyd is not one of the last two, I wish Nintendo would have just revealed his Mii sooner.

Still really want Lloyd, ToS rocks and honestly is one of my favorite gamecubes games of all time.

MattX20

Smash Hero
FP10 will seal Lloyd's fate no matter what, and we can only hope for the best

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

This is where I am at with Lloyd. The dread of every reveal potentially being the one that has his Mii costume has made my breath pause whenever the Mii costumes come up. I mean, I still have hope. But god, if Lloyd is not one of the last two, I wish Nintendo would have just revealed his Mii sooner.

Still really want Lloyd, ToS rocks and honestly is one of my favorite gamecubes games of all time.
A tale as old as the series itself... We've had Monster Hunter, and prior to that, Geno, kicked off the possibilities with unreasonably long periods of uncertainty on their inclusion. Lloyd would really gain some infamous, radiantly shining status if he'd pop out from this much time a victor.

MattX20

Smash Hero
A tale as old as the series itself... We've had Monster Hunter, and prior to that, Geno, kicked off the possibilities with unreasonably long periods of uncertainty on their inclusion. Lloyd would really gain some infamous, radiantly shining status if he'd pop out from this much time a victor.

All we can be sure of is that his fate will be revealed in a matter of months.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman

Just wanted to drop this bit of news, apparently Symphonia ranks very high in sales all across the board. Definitely one of the Tales series break out titles for sure.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Just wanted to drop this bit of news, apparently Symphonia ranks very high in sales all across the board. Definitely one of the Tales series break out titles for sure.
I was going to post this https://mynintendonews.com/2021/03/...-best-selling-tales-of-series-games-worldwide but it more or less says Symphonia is the best selling overall worldwide with Vesperia as a close second.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Too many swordfighters only ever became a problem when we had too many Fire Emblem characters. Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra never had the negative reception that Byleth received. Besides, Tales of is Bandai Namco's premier RPG franchise and seeing as they're developing Smash Bros Ultimate, the synergy makes too much sense.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think this can be blamed on how many Fire Emblem characters we have.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Too many swordfighters only ever became a problem when we had too many Fire Emblem characters. Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra never had the negative reception that Byleth received. Besides, Tales of is Bandai Namco's premier RPG franchise and seeing as they're developing Smash Bros Ultimate, the synergy makes too much sense.
Too many swordfighters has never been a thing because it's false to begin with. Swordies aren't even 1/4th of the total roster. The only problem is indeed too many Fire emblem characters, and within that problem, another problem exists which is that its weapon system is terribly represented (and yeah Byleth doesn't fix it just because it's able to use different weapons, the weapon system representation remains terribly unbalanced either way). Literally half of the swordsmen are FE characters, and then we have 3 Links… leaving very few other series represented in the swords role. It's a lack of franchise variety within the role problem.

It just won't stop bothering me that IF Lloyd's mii comes back, it would mean that we didn't even get any Tales Of series spirits on neither base game or via spirit events at any point, not even during the anniversaries or anything… which doesn't make much sense with Bamco being involved with Ultimate. If Lloyd's mii was to come back I feel like we should've already had Vesperia spirits in Ulitmate at least then. In short… nothing really stopped Tales Of having spirits, unless they are saving them to come with a fighter, otherwise their missing presence is totally unexplained, imo anyway.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So good news and bad news.

Good news is that with Hayabusa very likely out of the running, the Lloyd mii costume won't be paired with him since that was a popular theory.

Bad news is that Ryu is not coming which is disappointing itself.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Lloyd's not out of the woods just yet though. There are still other potential swordfighters that the costume could come with.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm new to Lloyd's page here. I'm gonna be 100% honest that I have never played Tales of Symphonia before. I had heard about it back in 2003 in the lead-up to it's release on Gamecube and I thought it looked interesting and fun, but I never got around to actually trying it unfortunately. Fast-forward to today, and I've gotten kinda interested in seeing Lloyd join Smash Ultimate despite all of that. Also, at this point, Bandai Namco has earned a 2nd character on the roster considering all the work they've done with Ultimate. Especially as every Smash 4 DLC Mii costume started coming back and Lloyd's now being the only one missing, I think Challenger 10 is both his best and last shot, of being upgraded to a fighter. After Ryu Hayabusa's deconfirmation, Lloyd and Crash are my current predictions for the last 2 DLC characters.

I don't know, is it weird for someone like me to want Lloyd as a playable fighter even though I've never played Tales of Symphonia?

Last edited:

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm new to Lloyd's page here. I'm gonna be 100% honest that I have never played Tales of Symphonia before. I had heard about it back in 2003 in the lead-up to it's release on Gamecube and I thought it looked interesting and fun, but I never got around to actually trying it unfortunately. Fast-forward to today, and I've gotten kinda interested in seeing Lloyd join Smash Ultimate despite all of that. Also, at this point, Bandai Namco has earned a 2nd character on the roster considering all the work they've done with Ultimate. Especially as every Smash 4 DLC Mii costume started coming back and Lloyd's now being the only one missing, I think Challenger 10 is both his best shot, and his last shot, of being upgraded to a fighter. After Ryu Hayabusa's deconfirmation, Lloyd and Crash are my current predictions for the last 2 DLC characters.

I don't know, is it weird for someone like me to want Lloyd as playable even though I've never played Tales of Symphonia?
Unusual? Maybe. Weird? Not at all. Weird would be like if you wanted a character you despise to get in the game

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
So good news and bad news.

Good news is that with Hayabusa very likely out of the running, the Lloyd mii costume won't be paired with him since that was a popular theory.

Bad news is that Ryu is not coming which is disappointing itself.
Yeah, I'd be lying if I said that Hayabusa didn't grow on me. But I'd also be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little more at ease about Lloyd's chances. I think that Hayabusa could happen, but I am definitely not counting on it. As people have said before, Lloyd's mii costume could still come back with other characters but I am personally predicting our boy as a playable fighter.
Hey guys, I'm new to Lloyd's page here. I'm gonna be 100% honest that I have never played Tales of Symphonia before. I had heard about it back in 2003 in the lead-up to it's release on Gamecube and I thought it looked interesting and fun, but I never got around to actually trying it unfortunately. Fast-forward to today, and I've gotten kinda interested in seeing Lloyd join Smash Ultimate despite all of that. Also, at this point, Bandai Namco has earned a 2nd character on the roster considering all the work they've done with Ultimate. Especially as every Smash 4 DLC Mii costume started coming back and Lloyd's now being the only one missing, I think Challenger 10 is both his best shot, and his last shot, of being upgraded to a fighter. After Ryu Hayabusa's deconfirmation, Lloyd and Crash are my current predictions for the last 2 DLC characters.

I don't know, is it weird for someone like me to want Lloyd as playable even though I've never played Tales of Symphonia?
Hey, welcome! I don't think it's weird at all for you to want Lloyd despite not playing Symphonia. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who want characters as playable, even though they haven't played their respective games. There are probably supporters like that for all characters, but that's not necessarily a bad or weird thing. No matter if you like the character, their design, or their moveset potential, that's good enough, right?

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice

It's not weird at all. I think about tons of characters that I want in smash. Some of them I know have no chance like Superman. Other characters like Rayman, Reimu, Agumon, Miku, Tails and Eggman. I think about how unique their movesets could be. and there are characters like Chief, Scorpion, and Doomslayer and if they get in my dream of Alex Mercer in Smash could increase. (My Ultimate Dream is Superman in smash but I know that is unrealistic.)

Anyways As Lloyd currently stands he has a pretty big shot at getting in and I'm sure if he does get in he will have a pretty unique moveset. Also if you have the time and money I would highly recommend Tales of Symphonia it's a great game with a great story and great characters. It's one of my favorite JRPGS.

Top Bottom