• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The Tales stream is March 6-7(depending on the timezone), that's a good sweetspot for the next Sakurai Presents to happen.
I want to hope for it but not to bank on it. As long as Lloyd's mii doesn't come back, he can be whichever of the remaining 3 fighters for me haha.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
If amibo theory is anything to go off (it’s been right so far) then we’ll def get a reveal or release by end of March. Personally the 6-7 seems a bit too early to me but who knows.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If amibo theory is anything to go off (it’s been right so far) then we’ll def get a reveal or release by end of March. Personally the 6-7 seems a bit too early to me but who knows.
Not for the presentation since the pattern right now is the character releasing around next week after a presentation.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Checking in for the sake of clarity, apparently the Tales anniversary was split in two, possibly because of COVID and such. Since you guys have been into Tales longer than I have, I figured you'd be able to fill me in on the details.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Checking in for the sake of clarity, apparently the Tales anniversary was split in two, possibly because of COVID and such. Since you guys have been into Tales longer than I have, I figured you'd be able to fill me in on the details.
Np, essentially what was said was somewhere along the lines of “the next half of the anniversary will be more exciting than the first” I’m paraphrasing but it’s believed that the pandemic affected the anniversary so dates were moved around and the actual big celebration/anniversary/announcements were pushed to March, ill link the article when I find it.

Edit: here ya go

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
What I understood in December is that 2021 would be the year where we actually get anniversary stuff happening, them basically calling it something like a 2 years anniversary, if that makes any sense at all. Basically they didn't do anything last year despite promising us news for months, and now 2021 will be the time to get news, whenever that is, whether it's at the festival or just through all of the year gaming events or whatever…

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, another question's been raised that needs clarification: Are the Tales streams regularly translated/subtitled or do they only do so after the stream has concluded?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Lloyd is currently being rated in the RTC thread (along with Rayman and Arle Nadja):

Make sure to follow the rules on the front page (specifically with giving each character at least two sentences for both chance and want) for your ratings to count.

BryanD

Smash Rookie
Been lurking on this thread for a long time, but really feeling the Lloyd hype recently and wanted to support :D He's been my number one for Smash since the Brawl days and I'm really hoping this next reveal is our time! Lots of rumors flying around about those 5ch leaks, but I guess only time will tell if they're credible... Hoping we don't see that Mii Costume again!

D

Deleted member

I mean, the odds of that is low, but the idea of it is cool!

Just put the entire roster of Tales of VS in Smash Bros as assist characters.
But I do wonder how would the stone work. Will it just glow when you pick it up and use it?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well... not getting my hopes TOO high BUT if Lloyd comes to ultimate he's my #1 IMMEDIATE main!! Would be EXCITING!! A character I actually love.
Yeah he'd probably jump up there for me too.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Lloyd has the best overall chance of being upgraded from Mii Costume to playable character right now

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lloyd has the best overall chance of being upgraded from Mii Costume to playable character right now
I would actually argue that's Monster Hunter.

That and I'm not sure that's a big achievement. No Mii Costume may be upgraded.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I would still say Lloyd has the better shot. If this really is the last fighters pass, then I’d be shocked to see Namco get absolutely nothing for DLC, and with Heihachi out of the running, Lloyd (or Yuri) kind of seems like the clear choice for a second Namco character. Plus, Sakurai clearly loves his JRPG protags, and with FF, DQ, and SMT all represented, Tales really stands out as the next in line.

Last edited:

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
I would actually argue that's Monster Hunter.

That and I'm not sure that's a big achievement. No Mii Costume may be upgraded.
I heard somewhere that the people behind Monster Hunter actually don't want their characters in Smash. Granted, I can't remember where I heard this and hence can't speak to its veracity

MattX20

Smash Hero
I heard somewhere that the people behind Monster Hunter actually don't want their characters in Smash. Granted, I can't remember where I heard this and hence can't speak to its veracity
Yep, that is indeed the case. They made it clear the monsters were the real stars of the games and not the Hunters.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yep, that is indeed the case. They made it clear the monsters were the real stars of the games and not the Hunters.
Also the Monster Hunter team is known specifically for not wanting MH to be in a crossover game. MVC was a miracle I think only because it was within Capcom's IPs. I don't see it happening again. And like Imran Khan said… we already have Byleth lol. I don't really see a capcom rep in the last 3, but if there is, I think MH is the last one I would see happening.

I would still say Lloyd has the better shot. If this really is the last fighters pass, then I’d be shocked to see Namco get absolutely nothing for DLC, and with Heihachi out of the running, Lloyd (or Yuri) kind of seems like the clear choice for a second Namco character. Plus, Sakurai clearly loves his JRPG protags, and with FF, DQ, and SMT all represented, Tales really stands out as the next in line.
Not to mention they completely went through the anniversary in December without us getting a spirit event for the series. Meanwhile, games like Trials of mana and others have gotten spirit events, series not nearly big as Tales is (specially for Japan, it's one of the top 3 alongside DQ and FF, officially stated on the legacy of Tales of Series in its wikipedia article). I really see no reason why they would have hold back from giving us a spirit event last month, unless they had a reason to not give us spirits from the series YET, and well, you know what that potentially means. If the mii was coming back, what was stopping them from us getting already a spirit event for the Tales series in its anniversary month back in December? literally nothing, if you ask me.

Yeah yeah it didn't mean anything for like 90% of series that haven't gotten a spirit event, but you gotta admit the importance of Tales of series to Japan and the anniversary is a big number one this time, it puts Tales on a different level from other game series out there imo, because of what it means for JRPG fans in Japan. I don't see why Smash would just totally skip it when it's just about adding PNGs to the game lol, and specially with freaking Bamco working on this smash game, on top of everything, so it's not like they could have "forgotten" about it at all.

But enough of my rambling, I definitely see Lloyd happening despite any speculation or theories, it's just pure gut feeling at this point and to be fair that's enough lately, with how unpredictable Smash is and throwing people off, lol. FP9 will finally tell us if that mii is coming back or not, since we have gotten the 2 other bamco miis one after another (we didn't get anything in Sephiroth's pack because obviously SE only gets SE miis in their packs, just like we did back with Hero's pack) and there really isn't any reason to hold his mii back if he is "truly" coming back as a mii. If the mii isn't in pack 9, then something is up, in my opinion.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Also the Monster Hunter team is known specifically for not wanting MH to be in a crossover game. MVC was a miracle I think only because it was within Capcom's IPs. I don't see it happening again. And like Imran Khan said… we already have Byleth lol. I don't really see a capcom rep in the last 3, but if there is, I think MH is the last one I would see happening.

Not to mention they completely went through the anniversary in December without us getting a spirit event for the series. Meanwhile, games like Trials of mana and others have gotten spirit events in their anniversaries, series not nearly big as Tales is (specially for Japan, it's one of the top 3 alongside DQ and FF, officially stated on the legacy of Tales of Series in its wikipedia article). I really see no reason why they would have hold back from giving us a spirit event last month, unless they had a reason to not give us spirits from the series YET, and well, you know what that potentially means.

Yeah yeah it didn't mean anything for like 90% of series that haven't gotten a spirit event, but you gotta admit the importance of Tales of series to Japan and the anniversary is a big number one this time, it puts Tales on a different level from other game series out there imo, because of what it means for JRPG fans in Japan. I don't see why Smash would just totally skip it when it's just about adding PNGs to the game lol, and specially with freaking Bamco working on this smash game, on top of everything, so it's not like they "forgot" about it.

But enough of my rambling, I definitely see Lloyd happening despite any speculation, it's just pure gut feeling at this point and to be fair that's enough lately, with how unpredictable the game is and throwing people off, lol. FP9 will finally tell us if that mii is coming back or not, since we have gotten the 2 other bamco miis one after another (we didn't get anything in Sephiroth's pack because obviously SE only gets SE miis in their packs, just like we did back with Hero's pack) and there really isn't any reason to hold his mii back if he is "truly" coming back as a mii. If the mii isn't in pack 9, then something is up, in my opinion.
Not to mention Tales is the only franchise/IP from Smash 4 to not return in any capacity since Ultimate's release. All the other properties have shown up in Ultimate's base game including Heihachi and Gil's sprites from the Bandai Namco Roulette Wheel.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Not to mention Tales is the only franchise/IP from Smash 4 to not return in any capacity since Ultimate's release. All the other properties have shown up in Ultimate's base game including Heihachi and Gil's sprites from the Bandai Namco Roulette Wheel.
Oh the whole Bamco roulette wheel was because those have appeared in Arcades before. Hence why Lloyd wasn't part of it.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh the whole Bamco roulette wheel was because those have appeared in Arcades before. Hence why Lloyd wasn't part of it.
Still, the fact Tales hasn't been in the game at all is eyebrow raising when all the other properties, Bandai Namco's included, have returned while Tales has not.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
If Lloyd gets in, I really want to see Starry Heavens (the Japanese/Symphonia Chronicles opening theme) make it into the song list, a remix with English and Japanese lyrics would be a godsend.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If Lloyd makes it in, I hope we can finally get a Symphonia Port for Switch/other modern consoles.
I'm definitely eager to see the lots of announcements they had planned that didn't happen in december for the anniversary, that are now gonna be sometime in 2021. We know the Tales of Festival is in March but I dunno if they will announce anything game related then 🤔 would be cool if they do.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If Lloyd makes it in, I hope we can finally get a Symphonia Port for Switch/other modern consoles.
Honestly I am surprised the Symphonia/DotNW HD remaster hasn't been ported to the switch yet. I mean, they finally ported Vesperia. If I had to guess, it likely will just be something that happens on the anniversary celebration.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
Anyone got a genie or some other way to get a modern, FF7-style remake of ToS? Because I would definitely pay far more than is reasonable for that

Last edited:

BryanD

Smash Rookie
We've got a Nintendo direct tomorrow, with confirmed Smash news in it... Assuming it's a fighter reveal, could we finally see Lloyd join the roster?! 👀 While it's a bit ahead of the March 6-7 dates of the Tales Of festival, here's a few things to keep in mind:

If the character is revealed tomorrow, it's likely that later in this week, we would see a showcase of said fighter with a release date attached. Making predictions based on past events, I think it would be safe to say that the showcase for the fighter would happen on Friday or Saturday morning, so about Feb 20. Given that the character usually takes a week or so extra past that date to be playable, we could see the fighter available for download on March 1st or March 2nd, assuming that they would not drop the character on the weekend. This is the same week as the Tales Of festival, so this could be a great way to build hype for that, as well!

Kyphlosion16

Smash Rookie
Predictions for the next fighter are between Lloyd, Crash, Monster Hunter, and Ryu Hiabusa for me. I'm rooting for Lloyd!

Top Bottom