• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

MrMilk

Smash Rookie

Seems next year is looking to be packed with tales news.
I'm guessing we might get a re release or two out of this. Otherwise I find it odd that they are advertising so many series titles that the west either has difficulty playing or outright cannot play in English.

As far as Lloyd goes though if we had to bet do which fighter pass do we think he would take? I think the next two are his big chances and somehow I feel strongly about FP9 for some reason.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing we might get a re release or two out of this. Otherwise I find it odd that they are advertising so many series titles that the west either has difficulty playing or outright cannot play in English.

As far as Lloyd goes though if we had to bet do which fighter pass do we think he would take? I think the next two are his big chances and somehow I feel strongly about FP9 for some reason.
It’s weird cause I’m expecting the next character to be Capcom focused (mainly due to the fact that I’m assuming March is around the time we’d get a reveal and March is packed with Monster Hunter, street fighter anniversary etc) but if Lloyd isn’t next then that would likely mean he’d be 10, and I’m pretty sure FP10 is a E3 reveal and I personally don’t think he’s E3 material but Nintendo has revealed lesser at E3 so who knows

MrMilk

Smash Rookie
It’s weird cause I’m expecting the next character to be Capcom focused (mainly due to the fact that I’m assuming March is around the time we’d get a reveal and March is packed with Monster Hunter, street fighter anniversary etc) but if Lloyd isn’t next then that would likely mean he’d be 10, and I’m pretty sure FP10 is a E3 reveal and I personally don’t think he’s E3 material but Nintendo has revealed lesser at E3 so who knows
They could always do a double reveal with one Eastern and one Western character like last time but I certainly won't count on it. Tales of festival is also in March so even if that likely won't lead to FP9 it's worth considering. I do feel strongly, however, about Capcom and Bandai Namco getting one more rep each out of the final 3.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
They could always do a double reveal with one Eastern and one Western character like last time but I certainly won't count on it. Tales of festival is also in March so even if that likely won't lead to FP9 it's worth considering. I do feel strongly, however, about Capcom and Bandai Namco getting one more rep each out of the final 3.
To reiterate, Hero/Banjo was not an east/west deal. Both characters are plenty popular around the world. Unless you're referring to which region of the world the characters were created in, which isn't really an important distinction to make since the vast majority of Smash fighters originate from games developed in Japan anyway

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

A old Japanese 5ch post about Smash Bros characters from 2018. Mentions Sephiroth, Chun-Li, and Both Lloyd and Yuri
Wait a minute! Is that Jackie Chan wearing a Chun-Li costume?

cybersai

Smash Ace
Wait a minute! Is that Jackie Chan wearing a Chun-Li costume?

Yes. Jackie Chan was in an old movie named "City Hunter" in 1993 which is an adaption of a manga of the same name. They had a whole Street Fighter scene with Jackie as Chun Li:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdeDtCoe6A

Anyhoo I do think Namco/Lloyd could be one of the last fighters. If there was a time it would be during Tales anniversary in 2021 so it's as good a shot as any.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Haven't exactly come here for eons myself - but having re-explored some of my realistically last-standing personal wishes towards final slots of Smash's DLC - the OP's been long gone from these forums, hasn't he? It just surprises me now that we haven't seen blueneuronDOTnet blueneuronDOTnet active since more than 2 years ago now.

If so, maybe I could go take over the thread, in vein of the previous one I had ran back in Smash 4-period? I had been wondering now and then if to spearhead the final run for Lloyd's supporting community - now that things have really progressed so far him as last-standing missing Mii Costume - I'm expecting some slew of active support slowly as Sephiroth-centric hype will slowly die down.

For the time being, I could really use any help on collecting up any supporters joining in here since blueneuronDOTnet's absence from the thread, which I believe has lead the OP to not be updated with any new ones since Ultimate's release.

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Haven't exactly come here for eons myself - but having re-exploring some of my last personal wishes towards final slots of Smash's DLC - the OP's been long gone from these forums, hasn't he?

If so, maybe I could go take over the thread, in vein of the previous one I had ran back in Smash 4-period? I've been wondering if to spearhead the final run for Lloyd's supporting community - now that things have really progressed so far. Probably it just surprises me more than I haven't seen blueneuronDOTnet blueneuronDOTnet active since more than 2 years ago now.

For the time being, I could really use any help on collecting up any supporters joining in here since blueneuronDOTnet's absence from the thread, which I believe has lead the OP to not be updated with any new ones since Ultimate's release.
Would honestly love that, dont know how the process is with handing over threads but we need some direction since blue kinda vanished before launch

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Haven't exactly come here for eons myself - but having re-exploring some of my last personal wishes towards final slots of Smash's DLC - the OP's been long gone from these forums, hasn't he?

If so, maybe I could go take over the thread, in vein of the previous one I had ran back in Smash 4-period? I've been wondering if to spearhead the final run for Lloyd's supporting community - now that things have really progressed so far. Probably it just surprises me more than I haven't seen blueneuronDOTnet blueneuronDOTnet active since more than 2 years ago now.

If a new thread is made I’d be happy to support it if that’s what you’re asking.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm hoping to merely get the rights on this thread, keep most of the content from BlueDot's own contributions, and fill in some of my own. :dr^_^:

Though along the way, it might be good time for me to return to Tales Of-series as a whole, seeing how I had long neglected it to this very day...

(somethingsomethingtumblrcancellation/fallingoutwithfriendsImadeinthatfandom)

Last edited:

Celir

Smash Rookie
I really hope we get a fighter from the tales of serie. This serie is really iconic even if not known as much in the world as it is in Japan. It would be a real shame to not see it join this game. Tales of has always had a strong connection with Nintendo, also the combat system in those games fits so well with Smash, it’s almost weird we haven’t seen a rep of that serie in Ultimate by now, don’t you think? Namco only has Pac Man since Smash 4 and a lot of other companies got their 2nd or even 3rd rep at this point. It’s weird, and I’m unfortunately starting to believe it’s not looking good. But I hope I’m wrong, on 5 of my favorite series of all time, Tales of is the only one left to get a character in this game. I will pray for it to happen.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Seeing how i have no real horse on this race to bet or winner to root for (i don't see Crash as likely anymore) i kinda hope Lloyd makes it. I only have played Tales of Vesperia, but i can tell from a gameplay standpoint that Tales fits so well that even if i haven't played Lloyd's game, i would play as him (plus Vesperia did make me more interesed in more Tales games)

Then again seeing what happened to the old puppet is likely that i have a curse or something.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
So yea, I don’t know how the thread transfer process works, but I’d be down to shift seeing how the original OP is in-active.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So yea, I don’t know how the thread transfer process works, but I’d be down to shift seeing how the original OP is in-active.
What happens is a moderator/admin moves one of your posts that is dated before the opening post to this thread, which makes your post the "first" one. Then you can edit it.

If the op is pretty much gone from the site or they a-okay the transfer, you can request it done by a mod/admin. Note that oftentimes your older post is not on the forum of a moderator in this section, making an admin more useful to contact.

Back when I was a mod, a yearish ago, I did a lot of thread transfers, but could only do so much due to what I spoke of.

Any more questions? :)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
When do you think we will start getting Tales news from the anniversary in 2021 since they basically moved all possible new we were supposed to get now to next year? What would be the next/closest most likely event for them to drop some game news? 🤔

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
When do you think we will start getting Tales news from the anniversary in 2021 since they basically moved all possible new we were supposed to get now to next year? What would be the next/closest most likely event for them to drop some game news? 🤔
They said that they're holding a Tales Of festival stream in March.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
They said that they're holding a Tales Of festival stream in March.
Oh right, sounds like the closest thing I guess, unless there is a direct before that somehow that has already one Tales announcement, but if not, then that festival might be the next most likely time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just made The General Namco thread:

Come here to discuss about Lloyd and other Namco characters as well.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Having been pushing Lloyd as my prediction lately, I can say that arguing for someone you think is in is a good way to make you want them in too. Add me to the list.

Also, a theory I put together. Thought it was worth sharing.
Ah, amiibo theory. Forgot why we consider March to be such a big deal in the first place. Perhaps I won't need my tinfoil hat for this after all.

So Tales 25th Event Theory
  • The Tales 25th Anniversary livestream is being held sometime in March
  • Amiibo Theory dictates that CP9 is probably coming March as well
  • Bandai-Namco is working on Smash could potentially have some sway over the development, at least when it comes to their IPs
  • Steve's reveal and presentation were timed to be around MineCon, with the latter being streamed directly before the show
  • Based on all this, we can come to the conclusion that CP9 could be a Tales character, revealed in March before or during the 25th anniversary livestream

MattX20

Smash Hero
Having been pushing Lloyd as my prediction lately, I can say that arguing for someone you think is in is a good way to make you want them in too. Add me to the list.

Pretty good amount of research

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Here is hoping. I heard Lloyd from an equally (or bigger) source than my own (an acquaintance's source basically), around the same time my NoA guy heard in 2018 that Sephiroth was a "big heard name" in office at the time. I wouldn't be surprised, considering how big names such as steve and sephiroth being heard back then ended being stuff negotiated for pass 2, so Lloyd could end being yet another one of those names. Specially considering who I heard this from, it's potentially likely to happen (the guy has been also saying GS returning and a TWEWY sequel since 2018 as well, and we literally just got announced one of those recently in late 2020 if any you noticed…).

So yeah, here is just crossing fingers for our boi, I think we have waited long enough to see his fate, and FP9 will definitely tell us whether he is a mii or a fighter (either a fighter then, or later in the pass).

Indeed we have yet again amiibos coming up not too far from now, so that's definitely the next best chance to get another reveal if nothing smash happens in these first 2 months of the year.

I could see FP9 being in march as our spring-ish release, then 10 in summer and 11 in fall of 2021. Sounds pretty fair to assume they would handle it that way.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Even if Lloyd isn't FP9, then hopefully it would be Chun-Li as it would make the negotiations leak basically true.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Even if Lloyd isn't FP9, then hopefully it would be Chun-Li as it would make the negotiations leak basically true.
I honestly think Ken took the place Chun-Li was potentially getting in back then in base, I think that was how the actual negotiation went, to be honest… but yeah, if you mean the recent 4chan one saying chun-li shadow and lloyd, well, either way it would benefit us if it ends being true of course, not that "that" leak is necessary to be real for lloyd's chances to remain high anyway.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I honestly think Ken took the place Chun-Li was potentially getting in back then in base, I think that was how the actual negotiation went, to be honest… but yeah, if you mean the recent 4chan one saying chun-li shadow and lloyd, well, either way it would benefit us if it ends being true of course, not that "that" leak is necessary to be real for lloyd's chances to remain high anyway.
Wait, when did Shadow get mixed in? I was under the impression that Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri were the only ones who haven't shown up yet (Not counting Geno and Sora, who were given explanations as to why they're no-shows)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Wait, when did Shadow get mixed in? I was under the impression that Chun-Li, Lloyd, and Yuri were the only ones who haven't shown up yet (Not counting Geno and Sora, who were given explanations as to why they're no-shows)
I don't know where else chun-li was heard to be honest, or yuri even. I thought the leak people were talking about all the time was this one from 4chan lol but honestly I'm clueless, cause I don't pay attention to 4chan that much or any random rumors out there haha. Maybe people are talking of some other rumor I don't know about.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The 4chan rumor is piggybacking off of the original Chun-Li and Tales rumor. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by a certain Shadow fan.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know where else chun-li was heard to be honest, or yuri even. I thought the leak people were talking about all the time was this one from 4chan lol but honestly I'm clueless, cause I don't pay attention to 4chan that much or any random rumors out there haha. Maybe people are talking of some other rumor I don't know about.
Huh, there's another Chun-Li/Lloyd rumor. Well then.

The one that dominated discussion for a while was this one.
We're really calling it the Chun-Leak now, aren't we? I feel like that name's kinda misleading, but okay then.
Anyways here's a link to the thing, which will probably get buried pretty soon anyways.
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-4813#post-24211016

Since there seems to be some confusion on what it's about, here's the takeaways:
  • The post was made about ten days after SSBU released.
  • Erdrick and Steve were being worked on for the base game, but were scrapped.
    • Hero was already rumored to have been pushed back, and we know Steve was in the works for a long time.
    • Steve apparently had his model working already, which would've sounded pretty unrealistic if he wasn't just six static rectangles.
  • Chun-Li was allegedly replaced with Ken. This would put her in line with the likes of Alucard and Decidueye, who were considered but dropped for the Belmonts and Incineroar, respectively.
  • Both Lloyd AND Yuri were being considered in the planning stages, but were dropped. This would make them more like Steve and Hero. No reason was given, but I have some theories:
    • Nintendo though Bamco was getting a large-enough cut of the base game's sales, an thought it best if a Tales character was confined to a DLC pack.
    • They were holding off to see how well Tales of Berseria and/or Vesperia DE did. Keep in mind the roster was finalized in 2015, so they wouldn't have known at the time.
    • Bamco got Nintendo to hold off for the 25th anniversary. Usually this would mean jacksquat, but seeing as Bamco is also working on the game, they might have more pull over the matter.
  • Sora was a candidate, but he was dropped on the basis that he wouldn't feel right without Disney content (Which is a bit of a hot topic on this thread, so grab a fire extinguisher, just in case).
  • Sephiroth was considered, but conceded to Hero. Seeing as he didn't have a reason for being dropped beyond DQ, which is an entirely separate franchise, it's not surprising that Nintendo went back and gave him a second chance.
  • Geno was stated to have a sensitive position. Squeenix thought he was associated with Smash more than anything, as almost all his requests are for Smash and not a new game. Allegedly, they were "unsure of the fan's real intentions."
And that's the gist of it. Anyways I'm going to put this in my signature so I don't have to keep repeating myself.
Long story short, Erdrick and Steve were planned for the base game (Which was rumored/confirmed), Chun-Li was planned but replaced with Ken, and apparently both Lloyd and Yuri were planned as well. It got a lot of attention because A: It got a lot right, especially for something posted shortly after the base game's release, and B: It didn't directly state a character was coming, but instead left us to draw our own conclusions based on patterns and theories.

The main thing that backs it up is what I've come to call "Second Chance Theory." Essentially, it theorizes that all or at least part of FP2 is character who were planned but didn't quite go through; ARMS came too late, Steve is confirmed to have been negotiated for five years, and Sephiroth has been theorized to be the result of dealing for Cloud in the Wii U, 3DS, and Ultimate versions of Smash all at once. Not 100% solid, but it's still decently stable and helped get Chun-Li and a Tales rep a lot of attention after the 5chan leak.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Huh, there's another Chun-Li/Lloyd rumor. Well then.

The one that dominated discussion for a while was this one.

Long story short, Erdrick and Steve were planned for the base game (Which was rumored/confirmed), Chun-Li was planned but replaced with Ken, and apparently both Lloyd and Yuri were planned as well. It got a lot of attention because A: It got a lot right, especially for something posted shortly after the base game's release, and B: It didn't directly state a character was coming, but instead left us to draw our own conclusions based on patterns and theories.

The main thing that backs it up is what I've come to call "Second Chance Theory." Essentially, it theorizes that all or at least part of FP2 is character who were planned but didn't quite go through; ARMS came too late, Steve is confirmed to have been negotiated for five years, and Sephiroth has been theorized to be the result of dealing for Cloud in the Wii U, 3DS, and Ultimate versions of Smash all at once. Not 100% solid, but it's still decently stable and helped get Chun-Li and a Tales rep a lot of attention after the 5chan leak.
Ah there we go:

I don't know, Chun-Li was there, but somehow replaced with Ken. Bamco had both Symphonia and Vesperia protagonists in the planning stages, but they're not here as well.
So I wasn't far off from assuming it was most likely a negotiation that ended being Ken in Smash instead. Figures, it would make sense after all. I personally don't think we would be getting a third Street fighter character if we are to get another capcom rep at all, but that's just me anyway, I think it would make more sense for them to just add a different series at this point.

Hearing both Symphonia and Vesperia like that, if I was to even amuse that "leak" lol… might just mean one of them is a mii and the other is a fighter then. And the person was confused about hearing stuff that didn't happen back then, but again, if Lloyd has been heard not just from my side but people are apparently making "leaks" including him, then it wouldn't be surprising indeed if he ends being like steve and sephiroth, super early negotiated names that end happening thanks to pass 2 existing. It wouldn't be surprising if it ends being the case.

I still don't rely on these text leaks and such, I rather just go by the word of my acquaintance's source who has been getting a lot of stuff right since 2018.

Here's crossing fingers we stop suffering from this mystery of lloyd's fate by the time FP9 happens lol

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Then again, Xenother claimed that Chun-Li was planned to be in the base game but was scrapped due to time constraints as one of the users mentioned in their DMs with him around a week or two ago.

We're in a stalemate until CP9's reveal. Hopefully Nintendo Directs come back in January or February and we see a Banjo and Terry type trailer in it for their release in March.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
After a quick check-in with the wiki to get an idea of how Lloyd would play, I've noticed that his skills seem to split into Technical and Strike branches. It seems that Technical branches have more hits, while Strike branches deal more damage. An idea I got from that is that Lloyd's moveset could simulate this with his specials; The standard variants would be the initial variants, pressing the button again would trigger the Technical variant, and holding the button would turn it into the Strike variant.
For example, his neutral special would be Demon Fang, pressing B again would lead to Double Demon Fang and then Demonic Chaos, and holding the button would turn into Fierce Demon Fang and then Demonic Circle. D'you think Lloyd could work like that in Smash?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
After a quick check-in with the wiki to get an idea of how Lloyd would play, I've noticed that his skills seem to split into Technical and Strike branches. It seems that Technical branches have more hits, while Strike branches deal more damage. An idea I got from that is that Lloyd's moveset could simulate this with his specials; The standard variants would be the initial variants, pressing the button again would trigger the Technical variant, and holding the button would turn it into the Strike variant.
For example, his neutral special would be Demon Fang, pressing B again would lead to Double Demon Fang and then Demonic Chaos, and holding the button would turn into Fierce Demon Fang and then Demonic Circle. D'you think Lloyd could work like that in Smash?
I could totally see that, it would give more depth to even some other of his moves

Top Bottom