• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Dude I was so scared haha.

They tweeted this in July and still nothing, maybe it will be stuff shown closer to the anniversary itself? It's definitely not just gonna be mobile stuff that only is relevant to japanese people, because this was tweeted in english after all and an anniversary isn't just celebrated with mobile crap, that's for damn sure, and they are making a big deal of this year anniversary compared to previous ones.

"over the coming months" ……… it's been so months already, and still nothing…

I just had an epiphamy……… Just for fun, not gonna bank on it, but still fun to think about:

I dont think anniversaries matter **** at all, smash fans of other characters have already fell for that banana peel and got disappointed… but this is not gonna be a theory because it's an anniversary per say, but rather it's purely based on 2 events being pretty close to each other…

TGA is december 10, and the Tales anniversary is decemebr 15th

Steve got revealed just a couple of days ago, before minecraft live / minecon, and then highlighted being in smash at the minecraft live stream…

What if something similar to this happens in december if Lloyd got revealed at TGA? Not counting on it, but the fact joker got revealed there, it makes it seem not impossible.

But that's only if he was fp8 of course, there are endless possibilities of how lloyd's reveal could go and for what slot during the pass later, as long as his mii doesn't come back.
Doesn’t sound SUPER far fetched, but only if there is an actual announcement to go along with the anniversary

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Lloyd is a character I admittedly don't have much of an attachment to (I did play Symphonia back during the Gamecube era, but I think I was too young to really appreciate it. I want to give it another chance eventually) but I've since really warmed up to his inclusion.

Geno and Lloyd are the most high-profile characters of the Smash 4 lot to survive the Mii slaughter for THIS long. I think the odds are very much in both of their favors

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Lloyd Background art by NinNakajima.

Lloyd Bg * by nin-mario64
Wait he actually did it!? when?? I remember i wanted to pay that commission but he told me someone already did, but then I never saw him post it, huh… Looks great either way! The one I paid for was the Sephiroth one in the end haha.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I would like to show my support for Lloyd Irving! May I get put on the support if its not too late?

I played Symphonia way back during the golden age of the Gamecube and that got me introduced to the whole Tales series. Tales of the Abyss and Berseria are my favorite out of the bunch, but Symphonia is still an incredible game.

EDIT: What tracks would y'all like to see? Would you only want it to be from Symphonia or have tracks from other Tales games in the mix?

Last edited:

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
I would like to show my support for Lloyd Irving! May I get put on the support if its not too late?

I played Symphonia way back during the golden age of the Gamecube and that got me introduced to the whole Tales series. Tales of the Abyss and Berseria are my favorite out of the bunch, but Symphonia is still an incredible game.

EDIT: What tracks would y'all like to see? Would you only want it to be from Symphonia or have tracks from other Tales games in the mix?
I don't think anyone is updating the support list, but welcome to the crew!

It would make sense to include music from other entries in the series, I think. My only condition is that Fatalize be given a Smash remix for the game.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman

It would make sense to include music from other entries in the series, I think. My only condition is that Fatalize be given a Smash remix for the game.
Agreed, I think a full ensemble of tales music is fitting for any character from the franchise.

Another question though, pertaining the last Sakurai presents, it seems he made it clear that Nintendo is really the ones doing the picking here, so what reason would Nintendo have to include a tales character in DLC?

It’s one of the reasons I’m still hoping that unknown Nintendo/tales news is still a thing, and something comes out of this years anniversary.

we’ve already seen with Steve that even though something occurred a long time ago (Vergeben talking Minecraft and smash) doesn't mean that it’s off the table. I’m referring to the old claims from a NoA ambassador that heard tales news was coming.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Absolutely agree with that notion! Fatalize is a great piece of music. If I could get a couple of tracks from Abyss like Meaning of Birth and Finish the Promise
I would be a happy camper.

Nightguything Nightguything Tales is pretty big in Japan. I could easily see a Tales rep coming to complete the trifecta of JRPG games (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales)
I vaguely remember hearing that long ago and I think we will see it come to fruition.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Symphonia just keeps getting crossovers with EVERYTHING. We are getting closer if you ask me 😎
This definitely seems like a step in the right direction in our favor. The fact they went with Lloyd, who is from an older Tales of game instead of Yuri or the new guy, could allude to them wanting to get people familiar with Lloyd. It also could mean nothing, but hey, I'm an optimist, I think this means good things. Also, we still have no idea what Lloyd's voice actor's NDA project is yet, right?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I had a thought. With Heihachi showing up with Min Min and Gil with Steve, would, if Lloyd is coming, be the next fighter (F8)?
Out of the Namco Mii Costumes from Sm4sh, Lloyd is the last one to remain. It almost seems like a countdown to Namco's fighter reveal. I feel if Lloyd is not the next fighter, then I will be sweating the Mii Costumes coming with Fighter 8. Perhaps I am overthinking things, but it is interesting to point it out.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
i think mii costumes are definitely in Lloyd's favor now.
In smash 4, lloyd's costume was announced in between Heihachi and Gil (Gil being the latest bamco mii costume character to be released), so why wouldn't they keep that same order in ultimate ? I'm reaching a bit since the megaman costumes release order were also scrambled compared to smash 4.
But there's still the fact that heihachi and gil are both in pacman's taunt while lloyd isn't.

TraaP

Smash Cadet
I’ve never played a Tales of game but Lloyd would be a great addition! Am hoping for him & feel that FP8 & 10 are his best chances.
If he gets in, especially with a black hair alt, I am getting his amiibo & naming it Kirito :^)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I had a thought. With Heihachi showing up with Min Min and Gil with Steve, would, if Lloyd is coming, be the next fighter (F8)?
Out of the Namco Mii Costumes from Sm4sh, Lloyd is the last one to remain. It almost seems like a countdown to Namco's fighter reveal. I feel if Lloyd is not the next fighter, then I will be sweating the Mii Costumes coming with Fighter 8. Perhaps I am overthinking things, but it is interesting to point it out.
The order of the miis certainly makes me feel like his destiny will be decided in the next fighter. If they are releasing them one after the other, then lloyd's mii would have to be in the next pack if he is a mii again. If he is not the fighter but also not a mii in fp8's mii pack, then I think he is a fighter later in the pass. It already is cruel to leave lloyd for just a mii at the very end, but even more cruel to bring back the namco miis one after the other, suddendly not bring lloyd mii in fp8's mii pack but still bring his mii in fp9 or some mii pack later in the pass… it also wouldn't really make sense lol if they are gonna deconfirm all of the namco costumes, don't do something weird by keeping lloyd's mii for even later, it's already a torture to wait to know his fate haha.

So yeah, I think we will know his fate in the next fighter, be it him being a fighter, a mii, or a later fighter if his mii is absent in next pack of miis.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The order of the miis certainly makes me feel like his destiny will be decided in the next fighter. If they are releasing them one after the other, then lloyd's mii would have to be in the next pack if he is a mii again. If he is not the fighter but also not a mii in fp8's mii pack, then I think he is a fighter later in the pass. It already is cruel to leave lloyd for just a mii at the very end, but even more cruel to bring back the namco miis one after the other, suddendly not bring lloyd mii in fp8's mii pack but still bring his mii in fp9 or some mii pack later in the pass… it also wouldn't really make sense lol if they are gonna deconfirm all of the namco costumes, don't do something weird by keeping lloyd's mii for even later, it's already a torture to wait to know his fate haha.

So yeah, I think we will know his fate in the next fighter, be it him being a fighter, a mii, or a later fighter if his mii is absent in next pack of miis.
My thoughts exactly on this. It would be to cruel to not have the costume show up in the next wave (If its not Lloyd as F8), to just have him show up later.

However, one way for this to be negated would be for the next fighter to be from Square Enix. Since, well, Square seems to only want their content with their characters. So the next fighter will be a doozy regardless haha

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My thoughts exactly on this. It would be to cruel to not have the costume show up in the next wave (If its not Lloyd as F8), to just have him show up later.

However, one way for this to be negated would be for the next fighter to be from Square Enix. Since, well, Square seems to only want their content with their characters. So the next fighter will be a doozy regardless haha
Yeah I think that would be the exact justified reason to keep us waiting us longer to know his fate haha

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I feel like if Lloyd gets revealed, this is my thought process on how reactions will go
Non-tales of fans/Smash fans: "oh, another anime sword fighter"
Tales of fans: celebrating
Smash players: analyzing intensifies

Me: It's an anime dual-wielding sword fighter, I like it
Yeah, I do very well with sword characters in Smash, so this is my reason for wanting Lloyd. I know it's kinda selfish to want him for that and not be a fan of his series (though I don't dislike in the slightest) but I'm a competitive player and well...

andree123

Smash Ace
They buffed Mii Swordsman's Hero's Spin in 9.0.0.
Maybe this is related to Lloyd as a fighter, but who knows.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
They buffed Mii Swordsman's Hero's Spin in 9.0.0.
Maybe this is related to Lloyd as a fighter, but who knows.
Buffs aren't the things to look out for in patches/updates, it's the glitches you have to pay attention to

Misuta

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4574-4296-7309
The Arch-Illiager is done by Motoi Sakuraba that sounds like a last boss music track for a Tales game.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Yeah Sakuraba doing another Arrangment is nice. Really hope Tales of gets a solid set of songs when Lloyd comes to smash :2gud:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Huh trademark for a new Tales game with a never seen before name? Welp, i don't think it will be coming out any time soon, considering these trademarks appear sometimes years in advance, lol. Specially when we haven't even gotten Arise out yet, hell not even a new trailer for that thing…

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Huh trademark for a new Tales game with a never seen before name? Welp, i don't think it will be coming out any time soon, considering these trademarks appear sometimes years in advance, lol. Specially when we haven't even gotten Arise out yet, hell not even a new trailer for that thing…
Holy Aska, Tales Of is doing a crossover with Dragon quest XI!

Jokes aside, I've seen fans speculate that it's either:

1. Tales of Arise's true name
2. Spin Off game
3. HD Collection

Lumin means light so this game has something to do with light in some way.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I believe whether Lloyd's Mii costume returns or not, I still believe we are getting another Namco rep. Honestly, I think Lloyd's Mii costume will return with him in his Challenger Pack.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I believe whether Lloyd's Mii costume returns or not, I still believe we are getting another Namco rep. Honestly, I think Lloyd's Mii costume will return with him in his Challenger Pack.
But why bring back fake Lloyd when you can play as real Lloyd? At least with the Erdrick/Diamond armor costumes, those were things not represented within Hero and Steve's alts and movesets.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But why bring back fake Lloyd when you can play as real Lloyd? At least with the Erdrick/Diamond armor costumes, those were things not represented within Hero and Steve's alts and movesets.
So they can make a little extra money on the side. The K. Rool, Inkling, Isabelle, and Chrom costumes return in base game even when the real characters become playable fighters. I don't get why Lloyd and Geno fans can't accept that we can get the costumes back as well as the fighters together. I believe all the Smash 4 Mii costumes will return.

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Probably the same reason the other Smash 4 mii costumes came back. All they really have to do is port them to Ultimate and do minimal touch ups. They don’t have to create all new costumes from scratch. It would be a very easy way for them to get more money, even if Lloyd (or Geno) become playable. I will honestly be surprised if some of the Smash 4 mii costumes don’t return.
Also, hello friends. I had talked about how much I love Tales of Symphonia and how I wanted Lloyd before in the Geno thread but I never actually posted anything over here so I thought that I should finally say something. I think Lloyd’s in a very good spot right now, so here’s to hoping he gets in!

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
While bringing back the Lloyd mii costume might be easier, I'd say a completely new one would still be more profitable in comparison. The other returning costumes aren't coming alongside a fighter version of themselves that you also have to pay for. Like would you not rather buy a Kratos Aurion costume instead in this scenario?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Alright, just going to ask this here. I've seen Velvet quite a lot, and Luke sometimes said in potential Tales of character. How do they fight? What's their fighting style?

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Smash Cadet
Hello I'd just like to say I'm a long-time lurker and equally as long time Lloyd4Smash Supporter. Tales of Symphonia is probably my favourite game and I share everyone's sentiments of elation if he could join the biggest VG crossover ever. I drew this for that SixFanarts trend that went around a while ago. https://i.imgur.com/Pvw8VFO.png
I'd be satisfied if other Tales characters made it in, but Lloyd is my preference. Speaking of which...

I've broken my silence to answer your question, Cadillac Cadillac

Luke is from Tales of the Abyss, the 3D Tales game that followed Tales of Symphonia (Not counting Legendia). Luke is a one-handed swordsman who in contrast to Lloyd's agile and multi-hitting moves has more of a focus on heavier swings and powerful combo enders, such as the explosive knockback move 'Raging Blast', shockwave creating 'Guardian Field' and 'Rending Thrust'. He has a few agile moves like the air combo 'Swallow Fury'. A 'Knight' in comparison to Lloyd's 'Warrior' is how I'd put it. A lot of the 'classic' Tales Swordsman techniques that Luke doesn't learn by default are instead given to his combo-centric party member Guy who plays a lot more like Lloyd.

Tales of the Abyss's unique mechanic includes a mechanic called FOF (Field of Fonon) Changes. During battle, magical and elemental attacks create circles on the ground of elemental energy. When certain compatible techniques are used within these circles, they are transformed into elementally-enhanced and more powerful techniques. Examples include Luke's 2-slash move 'Fang Blade' becoming 'Lightning Tiger Blade', calling a bolt of lightning alongside his attack and the explosive 'Raging Blast' becoming the ice-powered 'Frigid Blast'.

(This is from a fangame but it's a very faithful recreation of his moveset and fighting style from Abyss, and a good example of how he'd play in a 2d platform fighter.)

Velvet is from the newest mainline game in the series. Mechanically it's a lot different from the traditional-style 3D Tales games that Luke and Lloyd are from, doing away with the linear movement system that made the series feel somewhat like a 2D fighter and being more freeform combo centric.
Instead of a standard RPG MP/TP System that Lloyd and Luke use, Velvet's game has a Soul Gauge (SG) which governs how many actions or techniques the characters are allowed to chain together, auto replenishing over time or after actions such as proper dodging. The SG starts capped at 3 every battle but can be increased by staggering or defeating enemies. This also applies to enemies, so the party can get their max SG reduced by playing carelessly.

Velvet is a up close fighter that fights with a combination of kicking moves and an arm-mounted blade. A good amount of her techniques have elemental and therion (basically demonic) effects. Unique to her in her game is an 'Break Soul' called 'Consuming Claw' which transforms her arm into a maw-like claw and bites into the enemy. Upon using this technique she enters a buffed form called the 'therion state' which increases her power, grants a buff depending on the species of enemy she bit into, but slowly drains her HP. Upon leaving this state by using another technique she uses a unique 'Break Arte' that varies depending on the species of enemy she initially hit with 'Consuming Claw'.

Top Bottom