• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Cress is another protagonist who might make in smash, but is he too generic?
Not necessarily, him and Lloyd share a ton of artes, and the slash and thrust stats were something he had himself. Honestly, the only difference they have in terms of combat is that Lloyd dual wields while Cless uses a single sword.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Cress is another protagonist who might make in smash, but is he too generic?
Sakurai was actually asked about Cless when Lloyd's Mii costume was released. In a interview, he respond "I really think it had to be Lloyd." That's one of the main argument that support the idea that Lloyd would be chosen over any other Tales of protagonist. But yeah, the fact is a JRPG character wielding Sword and Shield could be feel redundant because of Hero. If another protagonist would have to be chosen, Yuri or the new protagonist would probably the one. But I strongly believe it will be Lloyd or nothing.

As for Persona, Nintendo had a future game to advertise for the Switch. Tales of (for now) doesn't. In opposition to tales of, Arms doesn't necessarly need a new game for the reason I mentioned. That was the whole point. And just in case ToV is bring back to the table : a lot of other licences have been port on the switch with better timing and have better busisness and marketing climate. So even this last argument doesn't give Lloyd any priorities.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Sakurai was actually asked about Cless when Lloyd's Mii costume was released. In a interview, he respond "I really think it had to be Lloyd." That's one of the main argument that support the idea that Lloyd would be chosen over any other Tales of protagonist. But yeah, the fact is a JRPG character wielding Sword and Shield could be feel redundant because of Hero. If another protagonist would have to be chosen, Yuri or the new protagonist would probably the one. But I strongly believe it will be Lloyd or nothing.

As for Persona, Nintendo had a future game to advertise for the Switch. Tales of (for now) doesn't. In opposition to tales of, Arms doesn't necessarly need a new game for the reason I mentioned. That was the whole point. And just in case ToV is bring back to the table : a lot of other licences have been port on the switch with better timing and have better busisness and marketing climate. So even this last argument doesn't give Lloyd any priorities.
Is the last argument about advertising?

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

Why does something need "better timing" when there is a product on the console from the series they can market? And how do you know Tales isn't getting anything else on the switch after it supposedly performed better than Bamco expected? They don't need something that's "coming soon" to market something, as long as it's on the console and can still be purchased. Especially for a series as big as this, I can't see them deciding not to because they don't have a game in the future to promote, especially since it would most likely be a title without Lloyd unless it was a symphonia chronicles port.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lloyd is one of the few newcomers left that would bring me absolute joy.

That said, I've only played four Tales games...

I've played and beaten, Symphonia, its sequel, Abyss and Vesperia.

I really need to give the others a try, so I bought Zestria and Berseria.

Misuta

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4574-4296-7309

I would recommend Graces because of the awesome battle system.

andree123

Smash Ace

You can try the 2D tales of games.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
You can try the 2D tales of games.
Too bad most of them(especially Rebirth, Destiny 2, and Destiny Remake) are still unlocalized.

I hope Namco localizes and ports them to Modern consoles like with Trials of Mana.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Too bad most of them(especially Rebirth, Destiny 2, and Destiny Remake) are still unlocalized.

I hope Namco localizes and ports them to Modern consoles like with Trials of Mana.
I feel ya. On one hand, I can understand what they are going for, since they seem to be only remaking the most popular/best selling entries when they do remakes, which ensures that they make the most amount of money they can. On the other hand, it really sucks that there are SO MANY tales game that haven't been localized. Hopefully we will eventually see a remake for the 2D games. Although if I were to place money on which Tales game is probably next to be remade, I think it is probably Tales of the Abyss or a Tales of Xilia collection.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
New avatar for Lloyd hype.

All that said, Berseria is a bit of a sequel to Zestria right?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Doesn't matter. Though fans generally agree Berseria was a massive improvement compared to Zestiria.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Question, if Lloyd does indeed become one of the remaining 5 DLC fighters, which of his English VAs do you think would reprise the role?

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Question, if Lloyd does indeed become one of the remaining 5 DLC fighters, which of his English VAs do you think would reprise the role?
Personally I would prefer Scott Menville, it’s why I’m still hoping his NDA thing was some sort of sign.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Personally I would prefer Scott Menville, it’s why I’m still hoping his NDA thing was some sort of sign.
That's literally the only thing holding my hope for Lloyd together, but that NDA could have been literally anything he's posted since that tweet or something else entirely. He also hasn't posted a single tweet since October. I would give anything to hear Scott Menville's voice behind Lloyd again in any piece of media. Lloyd is not Lloyd without him. He makes that character.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
I will prefer Scott Menvill, hands down ! I love his voice, and unfortunately, hate Brian's. I was so triggered when I heard Lloyd's voice in ToS DotNW.

But as for the reprise of the role... Difficult question. We know that Sakurai loves to make references to the origins of the character he chooses, so he could choose Scott Menvill voice, since this the voice in ToS. But Brian is officialy (?) Lloyd's new voice. It's never a good sign when production starts to replace voice actors. Do we have any example where character's get's their old voice back for good ?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Lloyd's new voice actor does a good job.

It's not Scott, but I won't be disappointed if we get his new actor.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One gameplay idea I had for Lloyd would be to cancel specials into specials.

For example, let's see you can input Tiger Blade after Sword Rain to get Sword Rain Tiger.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Few days ago I played Symphonia battle themes to my brother, and he said "It's Golden Sun music!"
I know they both have the same composers, but are they that similar?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Few days ago I played Symphonia battle themes to my brother, and he said "It's Golden Sun music!"
Considering one uses a GBA font and one doesn't...

I'm gonna say that's on your brother.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
What he says is that both Tales of and GS have this rhythm that makes him go "Ohh, it's that composer."
He's right. The same can be said for Mario Tennis music. I had Mario Tennis 64 nostalgia when I first played Symphonia because of the battle music.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Not too sure about the other composers that overlap between the two series (if any), but at least Motoi Sakuraba definitely has a distinct style, even across the different series he composes for. I don't play Dark Souls, but I've listened to some of the music he did for it, and it sounds very like him. If you played me this and told me it was from Tales of Berseria I would probably believe you.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
My hope for Lloyd is still there, I just feel with how lack luster of an announcement the Arms rep was, my excitment for DLC had died down a bit. Really hope we get back to 3rd party stuff and Lloyd gets his shot.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My hope for Lloyd is still there, I just feel with how lack luster of an announcement the Arms rep was, my excitment for DLC had died down a bit. Really hope we get back to 3rd party stuff and Lloyd gets his shot.
Yeah all that I do is to remember we have 5 more to go, hoping they are more hype and have less anticlimactic reveals. The only thing I'm interested about this pack is to see what happens, if there is an actual upgrade, and then see who gets murdered in the mii costume section lol

Also they shared this on lloydcord…
This model looks AMAZING, probably best 3D model of Lloyd to date. It's exactly what I would imagine and expect in Smash Ultimate, and I wouldn't even mind that outfit as an alt too :D

EZRAnZYVAAAdep-.jpg

EZZ7Ip8VcAA7GyV.jpg

EZRAo0HVcAERBmB.jpg

Also the new design for Collete looks adorable omg…
EZRAJrLU8AYyNnB.jpg

EZZ7KEjUEAEgUfA.jpg

EZRAK3UU4AEfDQC.jpg

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Not necessarily, him and Lloyd share a ton of artes, and the slash and thrust stats were something he had himself. Honestly, the only difference they have in terms of combat is that Lloyd dual wields while Cless uses a single sword.
Cless also has timespace artes that would make him more unique. Not that I'm doubting Lloyd being chosen first.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Yeah all that I do is to remember we have 5 more to go, hoping they are more hype and have less anticlimactic reveals. The only thing I'm interested about this pack is to see what happens, if there is an actual upgrade, and then see who gets murdered in the mii costume section lol

Also they shared this on lloydcord…
This model looks AMAZING, probably best 3D model of Lloyd to date. It's exactly what I would imagine and expect in Smash Ultimate, and I wouldn't even mind that outfit as an alt too :D

View attachment 273430
View attachment 273431
View attachment 273432

Also the new design for Collete looks adorable omg…
View attachment 273433
View attachment 273434
View attachment 273435
Yooo this is nice...what is it?

Top Bottom