• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

StormC

Smash Hero
This is completely unprompted, but I consider Lloyd the second most likely character for fighter #5, after Ryu Hayabusa. I have a good feeling you guys will get your day, whether it's now or later.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well Terry's presentation is indeed on the 6th at 5 AM PST. And it's 45 minutes long so #5 is coming!

Nazyrus Nazyrus have you heard anything new?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
There's a peculiar leak that matches all current speculation, and it kills off Lloyd and Heihachi as Mii Fighters.
I'm split on it, because I also would love to see Frogger.

andree123

Smash Ace
Reminder that a save icon was trademarked at the same time as the "Tales of series" name by Bamco.
That frogger leak has to be fake.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sakurai said there was no new modes being added, and Slipspace counts as a new mode.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sorry but yeah we haven't heard anything new regarding Tales news or anything related to it.

Off topic I personally doubt 45 mins is just terry, that just sounds ridiculous lol but i could be wrong anyway…

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Terry video is soon, I'm really nervous to see how this one plays out. Let's be strong lloyd bros and hope that mii costume doesnt show up.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
I trust Nintendo, if they say there will be no characters announcement, why would they lie ? I know trolling is the predominant mood and way of communicate on the Internet, but that doesn't mean big companies like Nintendo communicate the same way that a random guy would.

Just remember before the final release of SSBU, everybody was convinced that we will get at least 10 more new characters besides the base roster announced at E3. Sakurai had to intervene two times, saying we should not expect too many new characters because of the "everbody is here" formula. But it didn't stop smash fans to interprete this as a troll.

Maybe Sakurai had to communicate about something, not necessarily about new content. Or maybe the content about Terry is very large, the character could be hard and based on combos like classic versus fighting game, or maybe his stage is also kind of special... Who knows ? There could be plenty of reasons explaining why this livestream is 45 minutes long without a character announcement.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the Cacodemon and Mallow mii costumes, shown in this leaked gameplay footage.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With all the Mii costumes in Terry's pack being from fighting games, I suspected now would be the time for them to deconfirm Lloyd, but they didn't. He dodged another bullet. I say with confidence that we will get another Namco-Bandai rep because of the absence of the costumes and I say with confidence once more that it will certainly be Lloyd Irving.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
With all the Mii costumes in Terry's pack being from fighting games, I suspected now would be the time for them to deconfirm Lloyd, but they didn't. He dodged another bullet. I say with confidence that we will get another Namco-Bandai rep because of the absence of the costumes and I say with confidence once more that it will certainly be Lloyd Irving.
Surprisingly, Heihachi wasn't included in the newest Mii costume pack despite being a fighting game character like the SNK characters, Akira, and Jacky. I definitely think we're getting another Namco-bandai rep too.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Not going to lie, I was sweating so hard for our boy when mii costumes came around during the livestream. I agree with the general consensus though, this is getting kind of weird. If they wanted to include Lloyd in a JRPG themed set, you would have thought they would have dropped his costume with Hero. Likewise today, if they wanted to drop him along side a Heiachi costume, today was the perfect day to do it. But they still haven't dropped ANY Bandai Namco sets yet. I am very heavily thinking Bandai Namco HAS to be getting a character soon, whether that be FP 5 or the post DLC. Which is good, because Pac man really need another friend already. And with Lloyd being the front runner in my opinion, the tweet from his old voice actor and Sabi's source talking about "Tales of news" that STILL hasn't surfaced, I'm really hoping the cards are finally coming together. Also, even if the "leak" about Geno and Doomguy is true (which for reference I'm on team fake on that leak), keep in mind that neither of those characters remotely affect Lloyd's chances.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
That fact that even after 4 waves of mii costumes, Namco costumes are nowhere in sight makes it very likely a Namco character will be DLC. Either #5 or after that.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
The absence of Heihachi's costume could mean it's coming back with Lloyd (or whoever the bamco rep is), or vice versa..
I still consider Lloyd to be slightly more likely since he's not in Pac-Man's taunt.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
That fact that even after 4 waves of mii costumes, Namco costumes are nowhere in sight makes it very likely a Namco character will be DLC. Either #5 or after that.
Thinking beyond #5. Doom Slayer is #5 followed by Geno if the Mii Costume leak is legit. I think Heihachi and Lloyd will definitely be DLC though. We'll also get the Gil Mii Costume back when one of them does too probably.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Heihachi’s missing mii is another piece of evidence to add to the pile. We’re getting very close. I think after Doomguy and Geno (if those pan out) Lloyd may be next

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
yeah I'm now 100% certain Lloyd's coming

I'm not leaving any room for doubt at all

get hyped boys

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
My signature lives! Woo! Lloyd's our Bboy!

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I'm almost certain Lloyd is coming too. I don't know when, but I think he really might be the next character. It just feels right. The way Sakurai worded that line about Pacman today made me suspicious too. He was kinda dancing around the fact that Namco only has one character, referring to how they call him "our character." It really feels like now is the time.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Honestly the Bandai Namco costumes from Smash 4 still being MIA is really suspicious to me. I got a really good feeling about this one guys

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly the Bandai Namco costumes from Smash 4 still being MIA is really suspicious to me. I got a really good feeling about this one guys
That and the lack of any tales spirits at all, considering it's the third biggest jrpg franchise in japan, it's baffling to me that there is not a single content of tales in smash…

Gigaeel

Smash Rookie
Praying to whatever gods want to listen for our boy. So much lately has been leading to him or a Tales rep in general. I refuse to believe we won't get a Tales character considering that there is nothing Tales in smash when Bandai Namco is co developing. It's just too weird. With the recent trademarks and all that, and Especially since they took out the only tales content (Lloyds Mii costume) between games. Namco is getting a character and I'm hoping so hard it's our beautiful red boy

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
That and the lack of any tales spirits at all, considering it's the third biggest jrpg franchise in japan, it's baffling to me that there is not a single content of tales in smash…
Considering the three mii costumes represented by Namco, only Tales has no content in Ultimate what so ever. Heihachi and Gil appear in Pac-Man's Taunt with Lloyd absent.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Last edited:

GameWatching

Smash Ace
I'm just hoping it will not be at the VGAs. Lloyd is my most wanted but i don't think he's VGA material, if that makes sense.. He's kinda niche.
Geno and Doomguy being deconfirmed changes absolutely nothing since they always had slim chances to begin with.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I'm just hoping it will not be at the VGAs. Lloyd is my most wanted but i don't think he's VGA material, if that makes sense.. He's kinda niche.
Geno and Doomguy being deconfirmed changes absolutely nothing since they always had slim chances to begin with.
Who do you think is "VGA material" then? I think that's kinda downplaying how big of a series Tales of is

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
If Joker is VGA material Lloyd is

Anyway, they're likely going to have a Tales of Arise trailer as a world premiere going off how little we've heard about the game since E3, so it's entirely possible that they announce Lloyd in the same breath, possibly with confirmation of an Alphen costume.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Cranky Kong being playable in Tropical Freeze was revealed at the VGAs, so I don't think Nintendo would care about that.

Last edited:

GameWatching

Smash Ace
Who do you think is "VGA material" then? I think that's kinda downplaying how big of a series Tales of is
Isn't VGAs aimed more at western audiences ? Tales Of has never been THAT big in the west afaik

If Joker is VGA material Lloyd is
P5 won a GOTY award the year prior to that. That's the only reason why i think he was revealed in last year's VGAs at all.

Anyway, they're likely going to have a Tales of Arise trailer as a world premiere going off how little we've heard about the game since E3, so it's entirely possible that they announce Lloyd in the same breath, possibly with confirmation of an Alphen costume.
Oh right. I completely forgot we might get ToA news at VGAs, in that case it would make sense to have Lloyd be revealed as DLC alongside it.

Cranky Kong being playable in Tropical Freeze was revealed at the VGAs, so I don't think Nintendo would care about that.
Oh that didn't happen lol.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Praying to whatever gods want to listen for our boy. So much lately has been leading to him or a Tales rep in general. I refuse to believe we won't get a Tales character considering that there is nothing Tales in smash when Bandai Namco is co developing. It's just too weird. With the recent trademarks and all that, and Especially since they took out the only tales content (Lloyds Mii costume) between games. Namco is getting a character and I'm hoping so hard it's our beautiful red boy
Unfortunately, the costume that’s attached to this fighter’s pass is Rex from xenoblade 2. What this means is huge because Sakurai outright sets up the costume as some sort of tragedy and he treats Rex exclusion from the game as something special, which makes it even more strange to include the costume into the pass. Since Sakurai likely didn’t expect the success of the dlc pass, it’s likely he put in a special character into the pass that could please xenoblade 2 fans. That character likely was Kosmos from the Xenosaga series and she was one of the most popular blades in xenoblade 2.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I wouldn't count on it. Lloyd isn't a good Game Awards reveal choice. I figure it'll be someone who fits that stage much better. That and we already have two other JRPG characters this fighter pass.

Lloyd is still likely coming though. He's pretty inevitable.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
P5 won a GOTY award the year prior to that. That's the only reason why i think he was revealed in last year's VGAs at all.
Actually, the only reason it was there was because Reggie felt it was too perfect of a fit. If it wasn't, he probably would have been revealed in February instead.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I always kinda figured that Game Awards reveal had less to do with Joker than the fact that it was a surprise Smash announcement the day before the game came out. Not that the fact that it was Persona means nothing, since P5 was still recent enough that some people probably assumed it was an announcement of a port or DLC or something.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Tales of Arise is 100% going to be at the VGAs, as Namco's main goal is to market the game to the west. So a Tales character being revealed at the event would further help market the game. It helps the VGAs are 3 days before Tales's anniversary. And they could easily reveal the Tales character in their Japanese Anniversary livestream if it's on the same day to compensate Japan not being interested in the VGAs.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
So here's my song wishlist

TALES OF PHANTASIA
-Yume wo Owarenai/The Dream Will Never Die (REMIX)
-Fighting of the Spirit
TALES OF DESTINY
-White Kingdom (REMIX)
TALES OF ETERNIA
-Efreet Gorge
TALES OF DESTINY 2
-Theme of Battle(REMIX)
TALES OF SYMPHONIA
-Like a Glint of Light
-Fatalize(REMIX)
-The End of a Thought(REMIX)
TALES OF SYMPHONIA: DAWN OF THE NEW WORLD
-The Wilderness of Sadness
TALES OF THE ABYSS
-Awkward Justice
-Meaning of Birth(REMIX)
TALES OF GRACES
-Grasp it With All Your Might/Sword Drawing Grind!
-Scorching Brawl
TALES OF VESPERIA
-Fury Sparks
-Ring a Bell
TALES OF XILLIA
-My Sword Shall Open The Way
TALES OF XILLIA 2
-If it's for you ~Song 4 u~ Instrumental
TALES OF ZESTIRIA
-Flaming Bonds are Being Tested
-Aerial Labyrinth Wavering in the Hollowness
TALES OF BERSERIA
-Shout Your Soul
-The Great Sea Gate
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCrp6utRNN00lOQJkQmQZVyzOJ4_6tGBt
If I got any one of the remixes I listed I'd be happy

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I think Lloyd will make it in but if he is FP5 I don’t see it being at TGA, even if Arise is going to be there. Lloyd is just not well known enough in the West to make an appearance at a western event and I don’t see why they would market Arise by including a character that’s not even in that game for Smash. Joker’s case was different because again, Persona 5 won an award at the event so people who watched the event knew what it was and the game was still relevant enough to be on people’s minds. Basically, if the next character is at the VGA, I don’t see Lloyd making it in until later and if he is, it makes more sense to have it in a direct of some kind.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why the character HAS to be a huge one. It seems more like TGA is just the best time for them to announce the next character.

genissagefromtalesof

Smash Rookie
THE DEFINITIVE
===================================================================

===================================================================
LLOYD IRVING THREAD

I haven't had much to do over this summer break, so I've been creating some Lloyd-related content.
Summer is coming to an end, so since I'll be busy with grad school soon enough, I figured that now
would be a good time to create that Lloyd Irving dump thread I've been meaning to make.
Cheers.

===================================================================​

- Read more.
- Read more.
- Read more.

You can view an animated example of Lloyd's moveset here, but it goes a bit beyond that - if properly implemented, the arte system seen in the Tales games could make Lloyd one of the most interesting and unique fighters in the game. It's a bit tough to explain to someone who hasn't played a Tales game, so I'll let other Lloyd fans take a stab at it.

/u/Ricodyn's Take

/v/'s Take

/u/playeriii's Take

Icedragonadam's Take

Arguments in favor of Yuri Lowell:
  1. More unique moveset.
    I'd say that this one is a bit absurd - most Tales characters would likely feature a fairly unique moveset, after all. Most artes would be new additions to Smash (both visually and functionally), and the particular grounded, "flycatcher"-esque approach most 3D Tales protagonists use brings plenty of fresh air to the table.
  2. Solid legacy within the series.
    That's fair, I'd say.
  3. Past exposure to Smash characters.
    This one seems very iffy to me. There are plenty of characters with exposure to Smash characters that not only never made it in, but were never even considered, and the vast majority of 3rd party characters (if not all of them - just covering my bases here, honestly) had never interacted with Smash characters prior to joining the roster. I don't see this point as any more potent or relevant than Lloyd's inclusion in Soul Calibur Legends.
  4. Most popular character within the Tales fandom.
    Ignoring the fact that this can be kind of a contentious point, I'd note that popularity within a particular fandom has never once been as big of a factor as global, universal fame. See Lucina over Chrom, Bowser Jr. over Waluigi, or Link over any other Zelda character. Sakurai cares far more about the broader consumer base recognizing a new character than he does about a much smaller fan base getting the particular character they like most - after all, the mere inclusion of a franchise is already supposed to be paying respect.
  5. Tales of Vesperia: DE releasing on the Switch soon.
    This is the worst point that I've seen brought up. The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate project plan (and thus the roster) was set in stone in 2015 - several years prior to the announcement (or even rumor) of ToV:DE. Historically speaking, this would be the biggest gap between roster lock down and promoted game announcement in Smash history, so it's a bit ridiculous to consider this a factor.
Arguments in favor of Lloyd Irving:
  1. Solid legacy within the series.
    As with Yuri, I think that this is a bit of a given.
  2. Most recognizable Tales character.
    ToS is not only the best selling Tales game out there (3.5 million between all versions), but it was also the first to really penetrate the western market, and no other Tales game has ever really managed to have as much of an impact on the west as ToS did - largely due to the fact that it didn't have much competition to deal with on the GameCube, became a must-have title, and then enjoyed solid sales across several remasters. Since mainstream fame is a major factor in roster selection, Lloyd stands the best chance out of the entire Tales cast.
  3. Received a DLC costume for Smash 4.
    This is probably one of the strongest signs that a character will make it in as a fighter, as it shows not only that they won the ballot (see #3), but also that they were considered commercially viable. Most importantly, one would be inclined to ask - if Lloyd wasn't the most likely Tales rep to join the roster, why would they have teased him, of all people?
  4. Lloyd was one of the Smash Ballot winners.
    In 2015, Nintendo ran a worldwide survey asking people who their most wanted newcomers would be. The viable characters with the highest votes were turned into characters added via DLC (Bayonetta, Cloud), and the runner ups were added as costumes (King K. Rool, Skull Kid, ...) for Mii fighters. Since one of those costumes was dedicated to Lloyd, we know that he did fairly well on the ballot.
  5. Core series appearances on Nintendo consoles.
    This is a big one, as the only exception ever made to this rule was for Cloud, one of the most requested characters on the ballot and one of the most iconic characters in gaming history.
  6. 3rd Party Smash Characters tend to be older iterations.
    Historically speaking, whenever there has been a choice between a newer rep and an older rep in a third party franchise, Sakurai has picked the older one (see Solid Snake over Raiden or Big Boss, classic Megaman over X, Cloud over Lightning, etc). Lloyd is the oldest Tales character that is actually famous enough to incorporate.
  7. Greatest and most consistent support within the Smash fandom.
    Among Smash fans, Lloyd has without a doubt been the most requested Tales character for a long time. He was featured in both Super Smash Flash 1 and Super Smash Flash 2, there are almost two dozen mods that try to work him into Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, and he is brought up every single time a new Smash game looms on the horizon.
  8. Sakurai sees Lloyd as the obvious pick for a Tales representative.

P.s.: Lloyd x Isaac best brothers.

Top Bottom