• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I’m really loving how much Lloyd’s chances have risen thanks to these new pieces of evidence. The only thing that’s really bugging me is the trademarked logo. It just seems odd to have series in the title when no other logo in the game has that. Even Dragon Quest, which represents multiple entries, uses the DQ11 logo, even in the Hero trailer. If it’s used for a stage that travels through multiple worlds in the series then it would make sense but I don’t see that happening. I just don’t see why they wouldn’t go with the the ToS logo in both the trailer and the stage selection since it’s the game they’re choosing to focus on.
I was thinking that the logo could be used when introducing mii costumes, since I believe if Lloyd got in we'd most likely see some other Tales of games get some kind of representation.
Basically what zephyr here said. DQ11 logo was used with Luminary's introduction (despite having 3 DQ alts) as he is still the face of that DLC pack, while the general DQ logo was used for his mii costume section, which totally makes sense. If you check the current wikipedia article for Tales of series, they are using "Tales of" logo that is part of the Abyss one (they even say it below it). They probably just want once and for all a "Tales of Series" logo to stop using parts of specific games' logos.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

As an aside note, guys, you probably have been hearing about the news of "Tales of" news are coming" from Sabi/Polarpanda, which I can confirm (as I'm in contact with him and his NoA source) that this was stated indeed by his NoA Source in our private group chat on discord (same guy that gave us hints for banjo and Link's awakening, among other leaks in the past year). Which basically means something Tales is gonna be announced for Nintendo. He told us this the same day the trademarks hit twitter and became viral, but whether this is related or not we don't know… still a curious coincidence. Also yes, in Sabi's discord Sabi came during part of the chat a couple of days ago and said something among the lines "well i have heard we are getting some type of tales news" or something like that, so that's why I'm sharing this here now, otherwise I would have kept it between me and them before going public with it yet.

Now, what could this mean? My thought process:
Unless Tales of Arise for some reason gets a very late confirmation that it's coming to Switch, I doubt it's that… altho it would be awesome, but they would have already said it's coming to Switch imo.
It definitely cannot be mobile game, as a NoA source wouldn't know about mobile stuff from Namco, that would definitely need to be a Namco source, and he isn't one.
So my guess is that the news are either Smash related (as the biggest reach I can make) or that we are getting a port/remake of some sort, I honestly wouldn't mind Symphonia getting a Definitive edition type of remake like Xenoblade Chronicles is but maybe I'm reaching even further in dream land there, lol.
OR maybe a collection like the PS4 is apparently gonna get, altho I didn't read that it was coming to Switch, just PS4…

Anyway, Sabi asked our source "for what and when?" but he hasn't replied to us yet, he just comes and goes as always, which is annoying as hell. Either way, Tales of news of some kind for Nintendo are coming eventually, I'm guessing it will be an announcement at TGA since we don't have other events for big announcements left (unless I'm missing something), or unless it's a minor thing after all and it just gets tweeted or something...that are just my personal guesses tho.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
also, Hero's introduction was explicitly for marketing of Dragon Quest 11 S, as opposed to marketing DQ as a whole. Lloyd's introduction to Smash would be Namco's way of marketing the Tales of series, since Symphonia is already the best selling game of the franchise.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I was thinking that the logo could be used when introducing mii costumes, since I believe if Lloyd got in we'd most likely see some other Tales of games get some kind of representation.
Then they would just use the logos of those games. They did it with Persona 3 and 4 when they got costumes. I find it funny why they would suddenly do something differently.

I dunno. Still really hoping Lloyd makes it in but I just want to stay cautious in case this ends up being nothing to do with Smash. If it is, I’ll be surprised, since it would be the first time they technically create a series symbol, which I guess makes some sense since the series has no defined or iconic symbol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Then they would just use the logos of those games. They did it with Persona 3 and 4 when they got costumes. I find it funny why they would suddenly do something differently.

I dunno. Still really hoping Lloyd makes it in but I just want to stay cautious in case this ends up being nothing to do with Smash. If it is, I’ll be surprised, since it would be the first time they technically create a series symbol, which I guess makes some sense since the series has no defined or iconic symbol.
They definitely need a series logo, hell the wikipedia is still using part of the Tales of Abyss logo font because they still don't have a general series logo for the whole thing, which is most likely why they made one now… honestly it took them too long to do it with so many titles in the series lol it was long overdue

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

One thing to remember is that Joker, Hero, and to a lesser extent Banjo came with the majority of their content from their original game. Joker came with only Persona 5 spirits, as did Hero with Dragon Quest 11 and Banjo with BK1 spirits. I'm wholly expecting Terry to come with just Fatal Fury spirits, and if that's the case, the distinction is because there's a wider breadth of general Tales of content coming with Lloyd rather than just Symphonia. I'm talking an entirely generic Tales stage (The World Tree), spirits from the whole series instead of just Symphonia, and cross-game medleys. This generic catch-all for the entire series also leaves the door open explicitly for future Tales characters, as opposed to just getting Lloyd and nobody else in the future

EDIT: As a side note, I just realized why they would opt to celebrate all of Tales as opposed to one game;

IT'S THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE SERIES NEXT YEAR

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
One thing to remember is that Joker, Hero, and to a lesser extent Banjo came with the majority of their content from their original game. Joker came with only Persona 5 spirits, as did Hero with Dragon Quest 11 and Banjo with BK1 spirits. I'm wholly expecting Terry to come with just Fatal Fury spirits, and if that's the case, the distinction is because there's a wider breadth of general Tales of content coming with Lloyd rather than just Symphonia. I'm talking an entirely generic Tales stage (The World Tree), spirits from the whole series instead of just Symphonia, and cross-game medleys. This generic catch-all for the entire series also leaves the door open explicitly for future Tales characters, as opposed to just getting Lloyd and nobody else in the future

EDIT: As a side note, I just realized why they would opt to celebrate all of Tales as opposed to one game;

Just gonna disagree with Terry’s spirits being only from Fatal Fury. We already have a stage based off of King of Fighters which has a cameo of the main character from Art of Fighting. It would be weird to do that yet not include any spirits from those two series, but that’s beside the point. I do see the sense in repping the entire series as unlike Final Fantasy with 7, you can’t really say there is an entry that is the face of the series. Even Persona 5 is the Persona game that is on everyone’s minds and I guess since Dragon Quest 11 recently came to the switch, they decided to use the logo for that game for cross promotion despite repping multiple entries. While Lloyd is the character that everyone wants and is most likely, it’s debatable as to whether Symphonia is the face of the series or not. Destiny, Abyss, Vesperia and Beseria all have a good amount of popularity as well and I’m sure fans of those games would be pretty disappointed if only Symphonia were the only game in the series to be repped, unlike fans of Final Fantasy games other than 7, who, while not too enthusiastic about the choice, at least understand why Cloud was chosen since he defines the series as a character.

So yeah, I guess I can see why they would choose to rep the entire series as well as having Lloyd playable, but for the time being, I’m just going to keep my hopes in check. I was heartbroken when Isaac didn’t make it into the game despite having a seemingly decent amount of evidence pointing towards his inclusion and I don’t want that feeling to happen to again, and with another young JRPG protagonist no less (though this evidence is looking more solid, I will say).

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Just gonna disagree with Terry’s spirits being only from Fatal Fury. We already have a stage based off of King of Fighters which has a cameo of the main character from Art of Fighting. It would be weird to do that yet not include any spirits from those two series, but that’s beside the point. I do see the sense in repping the entire series as unlike Final Fantasy with 7, you can’t really say there is an entry that is the face of the series. Even Persona 5 is the Persona game that is on everyone’s minds and I guess since Dragon Quest 11 recently came to the switch, they decided to use the logo for that game for cross promotion despite repping multiple entries.
> Hero reps DQ11 specifically, because while Yggdrasil is a recurring theme in a few DQ games, the stage itself is actively based on DQ11. The other 3 heroes are just here for the ride, as nobody from the other DQ games aside from 11 appear as spirits.

> FF7 is the only FF repped because Nintendo only paid for that amount from FF7

> The King of Fighters tournament is a generic tournament throughout the South Town-verse. While the specific design is based on KoF2003, the actual Tournament itself has existed as an entity since the original Fatal Fury. As for non FF spirits, only time will tell, but I'm going off of what has already happened at the moment, rather than what could happen. Persona 3 and Persona 4 got costumes and music, yet also lack spirits, after all. We also lack a DQ1 protagonist spirit battle, even though he's also gotten a mii costume, as well as the Martial Artist.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
> Hero reps DQ11 specifically, because while Yggdrasil is a recurring theme in a few DQ games, the stage itself is actively based on DQ11. The other 3 heroes are just here for the ride, as nobody from the other DQ games aside from 11 appear as spirits.

> FF7 is the only FF repped because Nintendo only paid for that amount from FF7

> The King of Fighters tournament is a generic tournament throughout the South Town-verse. While the specific design is based on KoF2003, the actual Tournament itself has existed as an entity since the original Fatal Fury. As for non FF spirits, only time will tell, but I'm going off of what has already happened at the moment, rather than what could happen. Persona 3 and Persona 4 got costumes and music, yet also lack spirits, after all. We also lack a DQ1 protagonist spirit battle, even though he's also gotten a mii costume, as well as the Martial Artist.
Fair points. Really though, I think this is mostly speculation based on stuff already in the game, which has proven can change time and time again, so I guess those trademarks could be for Smash. I will say though that if they are, Bamco ain’t doing a very good job of keeping it a secret lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

I really want to see what the news coming for Tales of on Nintendo will be about (as Sabi's NoA source stated), I hope it's big stuff in order to celebrate the next anniversary aside from Namco getting Arise released. Hopefully the news are around Terry's release or The game awards, basically the only two places left I can see such news happen during this year…

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
https://mobile.twitter.com/Harada_T...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Sorry if this has nothing to do with anything, thought it was funny. (also Harada’s the man) Don’t spam with character requests! It actively hurts their chances lol
What actually happened here was there was a twitter chain of an endgame meme, with a bunch of for Smash accounts adding to it. Then a random dude named nick added Heihachi and tagged everyone under the sun, including Harada and Sakurai. Then the chain continued as normal, with those tagged people remaining in the chain. And since it was the same image each time with very slight alterations, Harada took it as spam.

It is my belief that this "nick" person actively wanted to stir the pot, and that's why he tagged so many people; to elicit a response from at least one of the accounts

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The Harada situation doesn't affect at all, and basically people are not really spamming sakurai, that was long ago when it happened and it was for other characters. This situation, as already stated, was because of one dumb dude.
Big number of #s being tweeted is not spamming Sakurai in any way if he is not being tagged on such #s. Literally browsing on twitter since yesterday and i haven't found anyone tagging him, if there are it's a minority out of the thousands tweets there are at the moment. Ppl shouldn't take Harada seriously specially with his humor and disonnection with smash at all lol. Banjo, Ridley, Krool and other previous fandoms were pushing the same way and we got those characters in the end. It means nothing really lol so dont worry, keep pushing for your character guys, that's how we get heard.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Though it fits with the "survived the slaughter" name of this thread. :p

He was in the image, but no account was tagged.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

Starry Heavens and Soshi te Boku ni Dekiru Koto are both real good, but this just doesn't fail to get me pumped up

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
WELL this is a potentially interesting development:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/630974643091537940/635914583218978825/papagenossabi.PNG

“Front runners” being Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, possibly Doom Slayer and/or Resident Evil character...
Please be Lloyd Irving, I'm sure that he is not a frontrunner.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Please be Lloyd Irving, I'm sure that he is not a frontrunner.
I think Lloyd would be a great ending to the pack, but hasn’t he been considered a front runner throughout this entire DLC cycle? I’m pretty sure everyone has considered him very likely this entire time

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I thought of the frontrunners as the characters that have recently been going around leaks. Crash and Ryu Hayabusa, really. And those are the two Sabi named, so I think it wouldn't include Lloyd.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I thought of the frontrunners as the characters that have recently been going around leaks. Crash and Ryu Hayabusa, really. And those are the two Sabi named, so I think it wouldn't include Lloyd.
Ever since Banjos reveal, based on forums and speculation videos, the four most speculated fighters seem to have been

-Ryu Hayabusa
-Crash
-Lloyd
-Doom Slayer

So in my mind, they have all been front runners for months now. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next reveal is a Joker like curveball

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Man, the chance for Lloyd have been greater since today. The Crashbusamu train derailed into a trainwreck. And the only insider source information we have is the NoA anon saying some form of Tales news is coming.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Dropping in from the Geno thread. With Crash and Ryu ruled out for number 5 I think there are few options left that we know of, probably Lloyd, Doomguy, and maybe Geno but he seems like a later addition.

Lloyd gang rise up

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Been awhile since I've been here, since I only require Geno to satisfy by newcomer need, but I would greatly welcome Lloyd since i played TOS multiple times and it is still one of the top beloved Tales of games.

Anyway, on Geno thread someone said Scott Menville's NDA voice project was "proven" to be for Teen Titans Go, but didn't have any proof or anything. Has there been something confirmed about that? I see a Teen Titans Go movie came out recently, which is about a month from that tweet. But ... why would he tweet something like that when he has been currently, and for a long time being involved with Teen Titans & Go? I don't see him getting all excited for more Teen Titan Go stuff ... no offense to fans ... but it's like his current job. His "NDA" tweet seems juicer than that.

I was hoping his project would be lloyd for Smash, especially with the whole patent filing for the Tales Series with the "Save Book" icon that would fit perfectly for Smash.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Been awhile since I've been here, since I only require Geno to satisfy by newcomer need, but I would greatly welcome Lloyd since i played TOS multiple times and it is still one of the top beloved Tales of games.

Anyway, on Geno thread someone said Scott Menville's NDA voice project was "proven" to be for Teen Titans Go, but didn't have any proof or anything. Has there been something confirmed about that? I was hoping his project would be lloyd for Smash, especially with the whole patent filing for the Tales Series with the "Save Book" icon that would fit perfectly for Smash.
As far as I’m aware there hasnt been anything solid. Ive heard the next Arkham game being discussed, but I dont know if he’s ever been in those, and I dont theres ever been a Robin in those as far as im aware.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

Anyway, on Geno thread someone said Scott Menville's NDA voice project was "proven" to be for Teen Titans Go, but didn't have any proof or anything. Has there been something confirmed about that? I was hoping his project would be lloyd for Smash, especially with the whole patent filing for the Tales Series with the "Save Book" icon that would fit perfectly for Smash.
I haven't seen anything like proof that it's for TTG. It's possible the original poster is assuming it was for TTG since the new season started though
As far as I’m aware there hasnt been anything solid. Ive heard the next Arkham game being discussed, but I dont know if he’s ever been in those, and I dont theres ever been a Robin in those as far as im aware.
There has been Robins, but they're all adults and have very different voice actors. The only situation I could see would be him voicing Damian Wayne, but I don't see where he would fit into the next Arkham game, given the true ending of Arkham Knight.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
It's Arkham Legacy. For me, it's hard to imagine it being anything else but that. Lloyd's time will come, but just later.
Again, the problem with it being "Arkham Legacy" is that Scott Menville only voices Teen Titans Robin. Dic k Grayson Robin is Nightwing, voiced by Scott Porter. Tim Drake is the current Robin, portrayed by Matt Mercer, and
Arkham Knight is Jason Todd, voiced by Troy Baker.

If they bring in Scott Menville to do Robin, it would have to be for Damian Wayne. And Scott's voice doesn't mesh with Damian very well.

There's no reason to think it's Arkham Legacy, because Scott Menville has never been a part of the Arkham games or even the greater Batman universe. He's exclusively done Teen Titans. And even then for the DCAU Teen Titans they still don't use him

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Again, the problem with it being "Arkham Legacy" is that Scott Menville only voices Teen Titans Robin. Dic k Grayson Robin is Nightwing, voiced by Scott Porter. Tim Drake is the current Robin, portrayed by Matt Mercer, and
Arkham Knight is Jason Todd, voiced by Troy Baker.

If they bring in Scott Menville to do Robin, it would have to be for Damian Wayne. And Scott's voice doesn't mesh with Damian very well.

There's no reason to think it's Arkham Legacy, because Scott Menville has never been a part of the Arkham games or even the greater Batman universe. He's exclusively done Teen Titans. And even then for the DCAU Teen Titans they still don't use him
My thoughts were Damian Wayne, which could work depending on how old he is. Or Terry Mcginnis from the future though they could just get Will Friedle to reprise his role.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
My thoughts were Damian Wayne, which could work depending on how old he is. Or Terry Mcginnis from the future though they could just get Will Friedle to reprise his role.
Either way, you're assuming he's in a new role for a series he's never been involved in. While it's certainly *possible*, the lack of any meaningful evidence to support him being in a new role as opposed to us *knowing* something unusual is happening with Tales is unignorable.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
It’s hard for me to imagine Scott doing work for the Arkham games only because he’s never voiced a robin outside of the teen titans, while it’s definitely possible, I don’t think it’s likely.

Edit:
Also, to Nessatc’s point, the tales of news that at this point is still unknown is kind of hard to ignore.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It’s hard for me to imagine Scott doing work for the Arkham games only because he’s never voiced a robin outside of the teen titans, while it’s definitely possible, I don’t think it’s likely.

Edit:
Also, to Nessatc’s point, the tales of news that at this point is still unknown is kind of hard to ignore.
Pretty much. I dont konw when they will drop yet (our source hasn't spoken up about it again, he only told us that he only heard news were coming and that was it). It definitely is some weird timming of events, nevermind the trademarks that surfaced just the same day he told us about the upcoming news.…

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I just want November to get here so Verge or VRPlant spills the beans on who 5 is or if Terry and #5 are getting revealed on the 6th(or 5th if they're doing it like for Joker).

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much. I dont konw when they will drop yet (our source hasn't spoken up about it again, he only told us that he only heard news were coming and that was it). It definitely is some weird timming of events, nevermind the trademarks that surfaced just the same day he told us about the upcoming news.…
out of curiosity, what do you personally feel Lloyd’s chances are? Considering everything you know.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
out of curiosity, what do you personally feel Lloyd’s chances are? Considering everything you know.
I mean, I know as much as you guys know now cause i haven't heard anything new lol. I already thought Lloyd's chances were high even before, with Namco being involved directly with this smash game and still haven't gotten a second rep. With the sudden trademarks surfacing and our source's statement of "tales news coming", I obviously as a ToS fan will try to connect such possible leads lol. Isaac also got some type of trademarks situation not so long before he was back as an AT and a mii costume in Ultimate, but i dunno if the trademarks have anything to do for lloyd in smash in this particular case. I just dunno, my fan bias makes me still believe he is super likely, plus Tales of is like one of the top 3 jrpg franchises in japan after all, it baffles me we dont even have freaking spirits in the game already if he wasn't gonna make it in then… it's very suspicious to say the least.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i give lloyd like a 35% chance personally, considering it could be just about anyone thats a pretty good number

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I mean, I know as much as you guys know now cause i haven't heard anything new lol. I already thought Lloyd's chances were high even before, with Namco being involved directly with this smash game and still haven't gotten a second rep. With the sudden trademarks surfacing and our source's statement of "tales news coming", I obviously as a ToS fan will try to connect such possible leads lol. Isaac also got some type of trademarks situation not so long before he was back as an AT and a mii costume in Ultimate, but i dunno if the trademarks have anything to do for lloyd in smash in this particular case. I just dunno, my fan bias makes me still believe he is super likely, plus Tales of is like one of the top 3 jrpg franchises in japan after all, it baffles me we dont even have freaking spirits in the game already if he wasn't gonna make it in then… it's very suspicious to say the least.
The GS trademarks never had anything to do with Smash. In fact, we've still not seen the fruit of what that would bring

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The GS trademarks never had anything to do with Smash. In fact, we've still not seen the fruit of what that would bring
It's still a curious coincidence that just when something GS related happened within trademarks, we still got Isaac in some shape or form in Smash after not being at all in the last game. Honestly it's been almost a year since that happened and i do wonder if it really had to do with anything else at this point.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So apparently there are rumours going around that KOS-MOS is going to be the next Bamco character. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, I would be fine, if not a little sad it’s not Lloyd but what can you really do at this point.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So apparently there are rumours going around that KOS-MOS is going to be the next Bamco character. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, I would be fine, if not a little sad it’s not Lloyd but what can you really do at this point.
Unlikely. Just not iconic enough. Lloyd and Heihachi (and maybe Agumon) are the frontrunners for a Namco character.

Top Bottom